Ryan Hartman

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
I haven’t seen any of the game tonight but my brother has texted me saying he reminds him of Mike Richards, any merit to that?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
He had an incredible hit on Dahlin on his first shift, that led to the Flyers getting a PP because of a retaliation hit by McCabe. Then he BURIED some dude who was trying to line him up. Also made a nice defensive play that led to a goal at the other end. Looks good.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Dang we got our 3rd line rw for next year. He’s going to throw his body around, get gritty in the corners, and also put up 12 goals and 9 assists for the season.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
That's exactly why I am so sick of hearing about how bottom 6 forwards aren't important. A good playoff team typically has a good bottom 6. Guys who can skate, hit, are tough to play against, and can pitch in offensively. Hextall failed miserably at putting together a good bottom 6 during his tenure as GM. You saw tonight how effective Hartman can be in that type of role even if he isn't scoring, and I think it's fair to expect his floor to be 10-15 goals and 25-30 points.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
If Fletcher can identify bottom-6 roster guys who can improve the team, that'll be a big help. Hextall was absolutely terrible at this.

Boyd Gordon
VdV
Bellemare
Ryan White
Filppula
Weise
(Lehtera)

The only guys who were decent were Raffl and Gagner.
Was one of my biggest complaints about Hextall. I hated the type of depth players he stockpiled. Boring, slow, workmanlike vets. Huge flaw of his.

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Admittedly I knew nothing about him aside from what I've read the past 24 hours. The initial reaction (we got hosed) to losing a favourite in simmer is natural I think.

Didn't get to watch tonight, but from the feedback and comments here - excited to see what he can bring, and hope it continues as such. If he can be an energy 15/15 guy on a decent contract, I am happy all things considered.

Someone mentioned bottom 6 depth guys and how important they are, couldn't agree more. Look at some of the guys we have had the past 2 years in these roles, ugh. Winning the shifts when your stars are off the ice is crucial, championship calibre teams have that.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Admittedly I knew nothing about him aside from what I've read the past 24 hours. The initial reaction (we got hosed) to losing a favourite in simmer is natural I think.

Didn't get to watch tonight, but from the feedback and comments here - excited to see what he can bring, and hope it continues as such. If he can be an energy 15/15 guy on a decent contract, I am happy all things considered.

Someone mentioned bottom 6 depth guys and how important they are, couldn't agree more. Look at some of the guys we have had the past 2 years in these roles, ugh. Winning the shifts when your stars are off the ice is crucial, championship calibre teams have that.

These are my thoughts exactly. I first thought we got Mike Hartman and thought he was really old (turns out he is - he's 52) so I was confused (but, I'm old too, so it happens). Once I realized who we got and then looking at the comments tonight, I am really pleased.

Reactions: Bruckuss

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm gonna say Hartman is better than any NHL player Hextall brought in.
I can’t put him ahead of Gudas yet, & there’s JVR, too, but Hextall sure brought in a lot of garbage at the NHL level.
And just had the wrong makeup for a team. Not enough speed. Not enough spunk. Way too many boring businesslike “professionals” he didn’t have to worry about off ice & who’d follow his diet plans & other instructions. A team of drones, & his coaching choice fit the philosophy. “Wasted energy” or “wasted emotion” or whatever.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Simmonds might have 1-2 good moments in his good games, but usually also has 4-5 WTF moments. Hartman was noticeable many, many shifts in a positive way. One game, one great game...even with no points.

Yea he has 0 WTF moments and that allowed that line to maintain posession and get a lot of scoring chances. He not only seems like a very good player but a very good fit.

That's exactly why I am so sick of hearing about how bottom 6 forwards aren't important. A good playoff team typically has a good bottom 6. Guys who can skate, hit, are tough to play against, and can pitch in offensively. Hextall failed miserably at putting together a good bottom 6 during his tenure as GM. You saw tonight how effective Hartman can be in that type of role even if he isn't scoring, and I think it's fair to expect his floor to be 10-15 goals and 25-30 points.

Who says bottom 6 froward aren’t important? They win you playoff rounds.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I can’t put him ahead of Gudas yet, & there’s JVR, too, but Hextall sure brought in a lot of garbage at the NHL level.
And just had the wrong makeup for a team. Not enough speed. Not enough spunk. Way too many boring businesslike “professionals” he didn’t have to worry about off ice & who’d follow his diet plans & other instructions. A team of drones, & his coaching choice fit the philosophy. “Wasted energy” or “wasted emotion” or whatever.
Hextall was really good at drafting and managing the cap. Unfortunately he was a massive, epic failure when it came to evaluating and putting together a quality NHL roster.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

It was a matter of resources, Laughon was #20, Hartman cost Simmonds, the guys Hextall brought in were bargain basement types.

Hartman is a solid 3RW, given the right center he'll give you 30+ ES points, but also some hard nosed Flyer hockey, back checking, and for a guy his size, like TK, he's fearless. He's not going to be a star, but he can be a solid role player, played 14+ minutes and earned them.

Reactions: deeshamrock

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
It was a matter of resources, Laughon was #20, Hartman cost Simmonds, the guys Hextall brought in were bargain basement types.

Hartman is a solid 3RW, given the right center he'll give you 30+ ES points, but also some hard nosed Flyer hockey, back checking, and for a guy his size, like TK, he's fearless. He's not going to be a star, but he can be a solid role player, played 14+ minutes and earned them.

I could see him being able to play in the top 6 if needed too. I would love to see
Giroux—Couturier—Hartman

For a couple shifts if needed. He could go into the corners and feed them the puck. Wouldn’t be ideal all year. But could work in certain situations.

Keep in mind this guy played with Kane and got over 20 goals

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
Loved what I saw from him tonight. He was noticeable nearly every shift. If he can bring even 75% of that every game, I'll be happy. If a miracle happens and the Flyers make the playoffs, Fletcher will look like a genius for directly replacing Simmonds, instead of just opting for draft pick compensation.

thumb.jpeg

videoblocks-male-symbol-icon-in-and-out-animation_sskpukdtg_thumbnail-full05.png

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Was one of my biggest complaints about Hextall. I hated the type of depth players he stockpiled. Boring, slow, workmanlike vets. Huge flaw of his.

I just realized it's probably the college hockey mentality from Hakstol, and he probably told Hextall the type of guys he wanted. Whereas in the NHL teams are winning Cups with guys in your bottom 6 who have skill, like Andreas Johnsson or Carl Hagelin.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad