Ryan Hartman

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hextall was really good at drafting and managing the cap. Unfortunately he was a massive, epic failure when it came to evaluating and putting together a quality NHL roster.
Except for how that’s the most important part of putting together a quality NHL roster.

If we win a cup in the next decade it’ll be because of that drafting.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
That's exactly why I am so sick of hearing about how bottom 6 forwards aren't important. A good playoff team typically has a good bottom 6. Guys who can skate, hit, are tough to play against, and can pitch in offensively. Hextall failed miserably at putting together a good bottom 6 during his tenure as GM. You saw tonight how effective Hartman can be in that type of role even if he isn't scoring, and I think it's fair to expect his floor to be 10-15 goals and 25-30 points.
Talented bottom six guys win you stanley cups. Can't just rely on your top players

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Enjoyed what I saw of Hartman's play tonight he brought a physical element that looks like it plays every shift, really not hard at all to be a fan of it. Loved the hit on Dahlin but have to say why after every big hit do we see an altercation, hitting is part of the game. I'd like to see the NHL address this, I grow tired of stoppages after big, CLEAN hits.

I understand it's only one game but think it's fair to myself , Chuck Fletcher and others that I'd like to change my opinion of the Simmonds trade...... Fair deal and possibly even better going forward for the Flyers.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Enjoyed what I saw of Hartman's play tonight he brought a physical element that looks like it plays every shift, really not hard at all to be a fan of it. Loved the hit on Dahlin but have to say why after every big hit do we see an altercation, hitting is part of the game. I'd like to see the NHL address this, I grow tired of stoppages after big, CLEAN hits.

I understand it's only one game but think it's fair to myself , Chuck Fletcher and others that I'd like to change my opinion of the Simmonds trade...... Fair deal and possibly even better going forward for the Flyers.
I couldn’t agree more. It’s a tiresome act in the past 10 years in the NHL where every other clean big hit seems to be followed by a fight.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Only saw the first two periods but I liked what I saw from the Heart Man.
hartman.gif

(Also an accurate representation of 99% of this board when the trade was announced)

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I could see him being able to play in the top 6 if needed too. I would love to see
Giroux—Couturier—Hartman

For a couple shifts if needed. He could go into the corners and feed them the puck. Wouldn’t be ideal all year. But could work in certain situations.

Keep in mind this guy played with Kane and got over 20 goals

The last thing we need is Hartman taking ice time away from Konecny.

Also, he had 19 goals in Chicago. Not "over 20."

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yea he has 0 WTF moments and that allowed that line to maintain posession and get a lot of scoring chances. He not only seems like a very good player but a very good fit.

Who says bottom 6 froward aren’t important? They win you playoff rounds.
Hartman has always been a pretty good prospect/player, if he can take the next step and mature into a productive 3rd liner, he'll either be a Flyer for a long time or a valuable asset to throw into a trade package.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Good first game. Refreshing to see some physicality. Hope he can keep up similar level of play the rest of the way.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hartman has always been a pretty good prospect/player, if he can take the next step and mature into a productive 3rd liner, he'll either be a Flyer for a long time or a valuable asset to throw into a trade package.

Tbf he already is just that given the NHLs scoring... this is likely his third straight year as a ~30pt guy, which is actually good 3rd line production.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Nothing against Simmonds, but at this stage of his career he had negative effect on 5on5 play. Hartman is better player 5 on 5 and I think our PP will improve with NP/JVR on Simmonds' spot.

Fun fact about Simmonds' 5 on 5 play - his career plus/minus rating as a Flyer is by far the worst of any skater in franchise history. The second worst rating is -44; Simmonds accumulated a -78 rating in the Orange and Black.

I was a HUGE fan of Ryan Hartman's in his draft year; he was one of my all-time favorite prospects. I simply love what this kid brings to the table - he's a winner. He will be a fan favorite here in no time and can absolutely be a key contributor on the third line of a Cup-contending squad.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tbf he already is just that given the NHLs scoring... this is likely his third straight year as a ~30pt guy, which is actually good 3rd line production.

People have some weird expectations of 3rd line forwards, go look at practically any SC finalist and Hartman would fit nicely on their 3rd line in terms of scoring (few teams have 9 forwards scoring 30 ES points, many only have 5 or 6), not to mention his toughness and attitude.

The Dahlin hit was just roadkill, but the McCabe hit was a thing of beauty, thought he had Hartman lined up for the kill shot, instead the mighty mite delivered the death blow.

What impressed me about Hartman was his quickness and hustle, he may not be superfast but he's got a good burst and good lateral agility. And he back checks as well as forechecks. He's a great fit on the 3rd line and a big upgrade over Simmonds 5x5.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think we're more likely to see the Chicago Hartman than the Nashville one, Nashville may have the worst centers in the league once you get past Forsberg - and that may partially explain the dropoff in Hartman's scoring after he left Chicago. Especially once Frost joins the team next year, he's probably better than Nashville's 3rd and 4th centers right now.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I just realized it's probably the college hockey mentality from Hakstol, and he probably told Hextall the type of guys he wanted. Whereas in the NHL teams are winning Cups with guys in your bottom 6 who have skill, like Andreas Johnsson or Carl Hagelin.
There’s no shot Hakstol dictated anything to Hextall. Hextall controlled everything. Diets, workouts, moving the carnival. Blaming Hextall’s roster choices on Hakstol is nuts. However, Hextall certainly hired a coach who fit with his philosophy.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He's noticeably without the puck in a good way. The same could almost never be said of Simmer this year, unfortunately.

I realize adrenaline played a part and he'll have off games like everyone, but I really liked his energy.

It's like he fuel injected that line.

Agree. Our core has historically played well when a bottom line guy provides some energy in the building (Ryan White, Rinaldo, etc.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad