Ryan Hartman

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
My comparison of Hartman is that he’s like NAK, but with more upside. Both are agitators, unafraid to go to the dirty areas, will stick themselves in front of the net, and will drop the gloves.

I can see Hartman being a 10-15 player which isn’t a bad add. At the most, my expectation if he really comes out flying would be 20-20. That’s fine by me for someone who plays a heavy game and for someone who is cheap, will be cheap, and young. NAK, to me, seems like a 10-10 player in the NHL which is fine to me for a 4th Line player. Hartman seems to be a 3A/B type player.

I’m not upset with the trade, however, I thought we could get a better pick

Reactions: Curufinwe

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My comparison of Hartman is that he’s like NAK, but with more upside. Both are agitators, unafraid to go to the dirty areas, will stick themselves in front of the net, and will drop the gloves.

I can see Hartman being a 10-15 player which isn’t a bad add. At the most, my expectation if he really comes out flying would be 20-20. That’s fine by me for someone who plays a heavy game and for someone who is cheap, will be cheap, and young. NAK, to me, seems like a 10-10 player in the NHL which is fine to me for a 4th Line player. Hartman seems to be a 3A/B type player.

I keep hearing this "upside" line about Hartman and I don't quite get it. He is 24. He likely is what he is at this point. You're not getting 20 goals 40 points out of this guy. He isn't skilled enough.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I keep hearing this "upside" line about Hartman and I don't quite get it. He is 24. He likely is what he is at this point. You're not getting 20 goals 40 points out of this guy. He isn't skilled enough.
I'm not saying Hartman is going to be a star but haven't we learned anything by assuming players peak by 24? We used to have a 24 year old who never topped 40 points and everyone outside of Philly said he didn't have offensive upside because he lacked the skill necessary to put up numbers. Hartman had 19 goals as a rookie, there's no reason to think he can't be a 20-20 guy as some point and even if he's in the mid 30s that's fine for a 3rd liner.

He's already an upgrade over Simmonds at ES. Despite playing way fewer minutes, he actually has more ES points during his first 3 NHL seasons than Simmonds does over the last 3 years and the two are heading in the opposite direction of their primes.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Upside is just a catch-all that doesn't mean anything anymore. It's most often an expression of draft position (Puljujarvi), a function of a relatively small pro sample size (Hartman), or a compliment to someone who followed a perceived similar path (Alex Barré-Boulet).

None of that means I have a problem with the specific instance you quoted. Hitting a onetime ceiling of ~40 Points if everything breaks well and he gets some PP2 time is more optimistic than I am, but it's not like it's nuts. I'd be a lot more comfortable hoping for low 30s assuming a full season, especially given that Nashville is a better scoring 5v5 team than the Flyers.

Reactions: Asnito and Rebels57

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

He already is a 10-15 player. Only has six less than Simmonds.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not saying Hartman is going to be a star but haven't we learned anything by assuming players peak by 24? We used to have a 24 year old who never topped 40 points and everyone outside of Philly said he didn't have offensive upside because he lacked the skill necessary to put up numbers. Hartman had 19 goals as a rookie, there's no reason to think he can't be a 20-20 guy here as a 3rd liner.

Couturier was one of the top prospects of his draft. Skill was never in question. His usage prevented him from being able to produce. Everyone with half a brain knew that.

Hartman is not going to play above Konecny or Voracek here and there are very few 3rd liners scoring 20 goals nowadays; Hartman aint gonna be one of them.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Upside is just a catch-all that doesn't mean anything anymore. It's most often an expression of draft position (Puljujarvi), a function of a relatively small pro sample size (Hartman), or a compliment to someone who followed a perceived similar path (Alex Barré-Boulet).

None of that means I have a problem with the specific instance you quoted. Hitting a onetime ceiling of ~40 Points if everything breaks well and he gets some PP2 time is more optimistic than I am, but it's not like it's nuts. I'd be a lot more comfortable hoping for low 30s assuming a full season, especially given that Nashville is a better scoring 5v5 team than the Flyers.

If Ryan Hartman ends up on PP2 over Patrick, Lindblom, or Konecny, just shoot me.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You know what I could see Hartman as? A replacement for Raffl. Great 3rd/4th line guy who can put up points, has speed, physicality and agitation.

That's a reasonable expectation, though Raffl is very good defensively and that's not the book on Hartman.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I said that 20-20-40 was if he came out in a hot streak and kept it up. I don’t think he becomes that, but with correct usage there isn’t any reason to doubt a 30 point M6 checking F.

Also, 24 is still young. Couturier changed his game around 4 some years into his career. Nolan Patrick will, most likely, do the same too. I’m not saying Hartman is the next thing to be excited about, but I don’t understand the negativity surrounding the deal. Most of the prospects and players in the typical “Simmonds deal” on here were worse than the player Hartman is now. The only bothersome aspect of the trade was the pick which will most likely be a 3rd anyway. He’s a good B6/M6 forward who plays a hard game. I think that’s something we all like too. Our team is slow, Hartman is not. Our team is somewhat soft, Hartman is not (although the trade off of Simmer to Hartman doesn’t favor that argument), but still.

Just give Hartman a chance. Hopefully we can sign him to a 1-2 year deal with an AAV around 1.5-2mil.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I said that 20-20-40 was if he came out in a hot streak and kept it up. I don’t think he becomes that, but with correct usage there isn’t any reason to doubt a 30 point M6 checking F.

Also, 24 is still young. Couturier changed his game around 4 some years into his career. Nolan Patrick will, most likely, do the same too. I’m not saying Hartman is the next thing to be excited about, but I don’t understand the negativity surrounding the deal. Most of the prospects and players in the typical “Simmonds deal” on here were worse than the player Hartman is now. The only bothersome aspect of the trade was the pick which will most likely be a 3rd anyway. He’s a good B6/M6 forward who plays a hard game. I think that’s something we all like too. Our team is slow, Hartman is not. Our team is somewhat soft, Hartman is not (although the trade off of Simmer to Hartman doesn’t favor that argument), but still.

Just give Hartman a chance. Hopefully we can sign him to a 1-2 year deal with an AAV around 1.5-2mil.

I'm just trying to temper your expectations. If Hartman scores 20-20 here i'll buy his jersey. I'm really confident that won't happen lol.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I'm just trying to temper your expectations. If Hartman scores 20-20 here i'll buy his jersey. I'm really confident that won't happen lol.
Lol... I’m with you on that. My expectations aren’t really high tbh. I’m expecting a 10/15-15 player. He will definitely slot in on PP2. I just wonder if he can PK.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
From what I remember Hartman has a bit of speed which will be great for the 3rd line. Could be wrong as I haven't seen much of him lately.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If he scores 20 goals and 20 assists we won this trade and he should be locked long term. Having that type of guy on the 3rd line is what you’ll need in the playoffs. I think he could do it with Frost and JVR.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hartman is our 8th forward (after JVR and tied with Laughton).
He'll be our ninth forward next year (with Frost added to the roster).
If Hartman can put up 30 ES points playing 12 minutes a night that's solid production, few teams go that deep.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
10-15, 20-30 points is a safe expectation. Doesn't PK.
Yeah he is on pace for 26 points this year, and has posted 31 the last 2 years. So 25-30 is the range to meet expectations.

But he only has 3 career PP points so this points are all coming at ES which is good. We have replaced Simmonds ES points with a cheaper, faster player who plays with an edge. Simmonds PP points will need to be replaced by someone else which most wanted anyways.

The downside of this deal, is there is no upside. We got a Simmonds replacement at ES and nothing more or less. To me, he is what most have expected NAK to be, but he is already there. And while some say Hartman is 24, NAK turns 23 in May.

But in the end, let's go find a top 6 guy to push Hartman down a line for next year and we can actually ice a very good 4th line.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah he is on pace for 26 points this year, and has posted 31 the last 2 years. So 25-30 is the range to meet expectations.

But he only has 3 career PP points so this points are all coming at ES which is good. We have replaced Simmonds ES points with a cheaper, faster player who plays with an edge. Simmonds PP points will need to be replaced by someone else which most wanted anyways.

The downside of this deal, is there is no upside. We got a Simmonds replacement at ES and nothing more or less. To me, he is what most have expected NAK to be, but he is already there. And while some say Hartman is 24, NAK turns 23 in May.

But in the end, let's go find a top 6 guy to push Hartman down a line for next year and we can actually ice a very good 4th line.

Good take. Very reasonable.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Also as a reminder, Hartman had 29 ES points last year. That puts him in 39th place for RW'ers. This year, he is on pace for 26ES points and is in 47th place. So "technically" he has been producing as a mid to high end 2nd liner while playing on the 3rd line.

Or to look at another example, lots of people wished we had been in on Nino had we known he was available. Well Nino has 25 ES points. So a 5 point difference this year with 20 games left. Nino makes 5 million, Hartman 1 million.

Or look at Silfverberg who some wanted to go after as a UFA and pay him 5 million. He has 15 ES points in 54 games.

Oh...Laine has 22 ES points this year. ;)

Just wanted to show that at ES, he produces well given where he plays in a lineup and given how cheap he is and will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad