Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Cannot trust this team with 1 goal games, they need to get their scoring touch back.

Agreed. Johnson looks very frustrated out there like he did to start the season. I'm not so sure that he isn't hurt again. Palat is only going to score so often but he's playing fine. Namestnikov is worrying me because he's not playing particularly bad, but he's stopped shooting and going to the net like he did when he was scoring every night. And the KFC combo hardly scores a lot anyway.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but these games on the road looked straight out of November without injuries. Way too many inconsistent forwards who all go into scoring slumps at the same time.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
In a pair of games where the team lacked heart and will to win, I'm not sure how you can justify picking on Callahan. He's the one guy on the team that has brought it every single game. Sure, we need him to pot a few more than he has, but there many other players more deserving of criticism right now.

It's not picking on him when you've scored twice in 40 games. Callahan wouldn't take exception to these remarks, he would just say, "I need to be better."

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I don’t think anyone is more frustrated than Cally himself, you can see it, however you have to give him credit for the way he keeps trying and not giving up when things doesn’t go his way, many players after not being able to score would probably start giving up on trying to at least shoot the puck. He needs to score more though and figure out why he can’t.

----

In other news though this is a great article about Cally’s Crew, his charity that helps kids suffering from cancer and other illnesses.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/sports/nhl/lightning/2016/01/26/callahan-wife-treat-kids-cancer/79386060/

But right wing Ryan Callahan and his wife, Kyla, are making an big impact in their own way.

Callahan is known as a guy who plays with all heart.

But, inside a suite at Amalie Arena during nearly every home game the couple hosts Cally's Crew, a group of pediatric cancer patients and their families.

"Once we had our two kids, we wanted to help kids out and hopefully be a spot where they can come and get away from their treatments and get away from what they are going through," he said.

On this night, two big hockey fans were getting the celebrity treatment. Alex, who ultimately lost a kidney to a rare Wilm's tumor, and Connor, a former sled hockey player who's battled through a second bout with leukemia, traded in their hospital beds for great seats and eats.

"These kids go through so much, things that people don't want to hear about cause it is not pretty, and to be able to just forget that and to come here and almost feel like your a celebrity makes them feel good," said Tracey Hernandez, Connor's mother.

"To go through what we've been going through with the Chemo treatments with Alex and to be able be to retreat as a family and to have this opportunity by the Callahans is truly remarkable," said Jalaml Abadi, father of Alex.

And the fun wasn't done after the Bolts clinched a win. Alex, Connor and their families got the chance to meet and hangout with the leader of Cally's Crew and other members of the Lighting.

"Ryan is just a very down to earth person, he's a tough guy out on the ice, but he's a softy and he has a really big heart," said Kyla.

"For them to be able to say that they met and forge friendships with them, it just means the world," said Hernandez.

There is a video in the line as well.

Also this:

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
In a pair of games where the team lacked heart and will to win, I'm not sure how you can justify picking on Callahan. He's the one guy on the team that has brought it every single game. Sure, we need him to pot a few more than he has, but there many other players more deserving of criticism right now.

Guys doing what Callahan's doing now make 1 million per, not 6.

Right now, it's one of the worst contacts in the entire league.

Close on 12 million for Callahan and Carle. That's insane for what they're bringing to the table.

Callahan's performance has been so hard to defend, even Dolphins2Bolts has given up on it.:)

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Guys doing what Callahan's doing now make 1 million per, not 6.

Right now, it's one of the worst contacts in the entire league.

Close on 12 million for Callahan and Carle. That's insane for what they're bringing to the table.

Callahan's performance has been so hard to defend, even Dolphins2Bolts has given up on it.:)
Totally agree. Not even sure what is up. Snake bitten isn't the word now this is like 1 goal in 30 games. That's not a slump, that's just not producing.

And to clarify, Callahan was my favorite player outside of TB prior to the trade. I like the guy so much, he's just doing terrible production wise this year. He has so much heart though.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013

He has good stretches then disappears for weeks at a time. That's just false. Even the games where's he's going all out hitting everything in sight are few and far between.

On the Filppula note:

I've said it since the start, Flip is the better player between the two. He showed it in the playoffs and he's showing it again now. Someone can try and make an argument otherwise, if it exists, but I ain't buying.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
Totally agree. Not even sure what is up. Snake bitten isn't the word now this is like 1 goal in 30 games. That's not a slump, that's just not producing.

And to clarify, Callahan was my favorite player outside of TB prior to the trade. I like the guy so much, he's just doing terrible production wise this year. He has so much heart though.

How much do you think is physical? He's a go-all out guy. He's what.. 29? Hopefully his body isn't already giving out

He's 30 I see. 31 in another 40 days. Hmm

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
He has good stretches then disappears for weeks at a time. That's just false. Even the games where's he's going all out hitting everything in sight are few and far between.

On the Filppula note:

I've said it since the start, Flip is the better player between the two. He showed it in the playoffs and he's showing it again now. Someone can try and make an argument otherwise, if it exists, but I ain't buying.

Agreed. If I'm quite honest, I don't notice Callahan most nights. I notice impact players, and Callahan, sadly, hasn't been one this season.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
How much do you think is physical? He's a go-all out guy. He's what.. 29? Hopefully his body isn't already giving out

He's 30 I see. 31 in another 40 days. Hmm

Idk. I've watched him play a lot and yeah his play has decreased, it's not anywhere near the arthritis and crippled has been people make him out to be. He's not as efficient anymore but he's still almost as effective. His production is the worst thing though. Any amount of hits, momentum shifts, shots, fights, etc doesn't justify 6m a year while getting under 10 goals. I'm just beginning to think this is it. This is what we've feared and it's premature. I don't want to think that on top of the 91 and 27 saga this year that now Callahan is a 5-10 goal energy guy at 6m.

Basically, he can't take a night off (and he doesn't tbh) in physicality pr winning battles down low or else the 6m is Carle levels of bad.

Side note, thought Carle would've gotten his 1st last night but was robbed by Anderson. Laughed, then cried.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I completely agree that he needs to produce more because he is making the big bucks. But like I originally said, there are a lot of other guys on the team who deserve more criticism. That was my main point and everyone was just quick to point out that he isn't scoring. I know he isn't scoring, but at least he's bringing something else to the table. When Stamkos isn't scoring what is he bringing? How about how poorly Johnson has played the past 2 games? Kucherov looked like a different player on this road trip. Namestnikov has gone ice cold. Palat hasn't been all that effective. Killorn is back to looking like a checker. There is a lot wrong with the team right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I like our third line as a unit. They make things happen, and it seems like the only guy on that line who hasn't seen an increase in scoring is Callahan.

I don't think he's playing poorly right now. But, on the whole, he has to find a way to produce more. If he were playing like he is right now while being on pace for 45 points, I'd be fine with it.

GollyG

Apr 4, 2015
In a Storm Cloud
Cally is one of my fav players on the team, partly because of that whole MSL trade. (Which started this whole thing anyway.) Cally brought a lot to the table and has seemed to be a calming, veteran presence after all that MSL turmoil.

He also helped recruit Boyle and Stralman. I don't think we get to last year's Stanley Cup Finals without those three. I get that he deserves criticism right now, but so do a lot of these guys on this team.

His effort, and consequently influence, is priceless.

P.S. I'm over thirty, so I love him for that, too. :D

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I completely agree that he needs to produce more because he is making the big bucks. But like I originally said, there are a lot of other guys on the team who deserve more criticism. That was my main point and everyone was just quick to point out that he isn't scoring. I know he isn't scoring, but at least he's bringing something else to the table. When Stamkos isn't scoring what is he bringing? How about how poorly Johnson has played the past 2 games? Kucherov looked like a different player on this road trip. Namestnikov has gone ice cold. Palat hasn't been all that effective. Killorn is back to looking like a checker. There is a lot wrong with the team right now.
When Stamkos isn't scoring, he brings a lot to the table;

1. Evidence the blue line can actually trip someone.
2. Evidence ice is slippery.
3. Proof 10 year olds have better hands than him.
4. He still hasn't learned what offsides is.
5. He still likes crashing into the net, literally, every 5 games.

:laugh: but I agree with you. Don't know what happened all of a sudden.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Tomorrow's game will be Cally's 600th NHL game (also his 150th as part of the Lightning), not a bad number at all.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I still like what Callahan brings. Gotta say though, Brown's been outperforming him since last year's playoffs. Two guys with similar roles/functions. Not sure Brown is making Cally expendable, but it definitely makes me frown a little at the contract.

Lovethiscity

Nov 9, 2014
Tampa, FL
I still like what Callahan brings. Gotta say though, Brown's been outperforming him since last year's playoffs. Two guys with similar roles/functions. Not sure Brown is making Cally expendable, but it definitely makes me frown a little at the contract.

Brown doesn't get nearly as many take-aways or win puck battles like he does.

GollyG

Apr 4, 2015
In a Storm Cloud

I don't know a great deal about hockey development, etc. If Brown did not have Cally, would Brown be developing as well as he is? That line is awesome to watch. None of that cute-sy passing back and forth with no result some of the other lines seem to be doing so often.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Brown doesn't get nearly as many take-aways or win puck battles like he does.

Cally doesn't win nearly as many races as Brown does, so he has to battle more. Brown just gets to the puck first.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Dude should get perma stuck on the 4th line. He needs to be a secondary scorer, not a guy we laud for winning a puck battle every few periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad