Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Probably, but if he plays like he did today, and in Game 5 against Detroit, and pots some more goals, don't think people are going to complain too much.

Love Cally and what he brings to the table. You absolutely need players like him to win the cup, but he should be paid about 2 mil less.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
2nd year was a down year for not just him but pretty much our entire forward group, but after coming off a 1st year that was a career year, so it's a little unfair to judge the contract now, needs one more year before people start to judge.

Would not have Stralman or Boyle, if Callahan does not sign, I know that for a fact.

Are you sure we would not have stralman ? Or Boyle how come ?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That was probably he best game of the playoffs. More of that and nobody's going to care as much about production.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
That was probably he best game of the playoffs. More of that and nobody's going to care as much about production.

I was at the game and if that was his best game of the playoffs then he's overpaid by 3 or 4 million dollars. He played an "ok" bottom six game. Had a couple of nice hits but he didn't really do much besides that.

Someone said it earlier, you have to take Callahan for what he is and that's a good bottom six grinder and penalty killer. If he was making 2 or 3 million per year we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
It's not just about Callahan it is the pettiness and negativity of this forum, that sucks the enjoyment out of this place and the game. Last year was so much fun here but this year a lot of people post with this edge or arrogance in their posts or with a doom and Gloom. I don't expect it to always be happy and full of glee or whatnot but it is really bad this year and it's really crazy. Even the Stamkos posts are out of this world which is why I have stepped back a little in regards to those.

Are you for real? You've been harder on Stamkos than just about anybody in this place. Go back and review your posts, they're all there. For the love of god, the picture attached to all your posts has Stamkos's face blocked out with a question mark. So, let me get this straight, the pettiness and negativity is fine as long as it's not directed at Callahan?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I believe the GM and organization should decide the value and worth of a player to a team, and not the opinions of pretty much everyone on HF boards.

As per the Stamkos posts we are talking about a 5.8 million cap hit vs a potential 10 million one. Cally's contract is very movable after 2 years when his NMC is up. Stamkos' will not be. Difference between Stamkos and Cally is that Cally is not useless when he is not scoring far from it . I would like Stamkos to stay but for around 8 million not a penny more. So there is a difference there as well. I guess I am Cally's white knight and you are Stamkos', you keep doing what you are doing to support your favorite player, I will do the same.

Is it ok for all of us to question Stamkos' worth? I'm assuming that's going to be a yes because you've done it yourself. You just don't want anyone questioning Callahan.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i gave stamkos benefit of doubt last year playoffs which most ignore even though cooper said he was injured his slap shot was OFF i saw it I called it things hed bury he couldnt maybe that might have been when really started having the issue with that shoulder?

we probably will never know with yzerman gestopo policing our team not sure spelling but you all know what i mean haha

anyway news is callahan has injury this last series i paid more attention to him yep still hit etc.. but when grabbed pulled down etc.. he went down easily easier than normal something is affecting his balance in certain situations his corsi fenwick for playoffs is 10 points a HUGE amount down for last years stats from any stats hes ever had in pro hockey

something is wrong now after surgery he needs to play better be the guy we expect

me im good in 40s on points ive said that the intangibles work out for the rest for me

im sorry his play is down and it is in the playoffs though is a small window to look at honestly something is obviously wrong so hats off to him for playing through whatever it is

now next year will watch him closely and i will be first on train of a buy out if this continues but right now i have to believe the case is an injury that he is working through and he is playing hard so im not going to knock him for that

guy im tired of is paquette personally saw today tanner richard stuff maybe going to swiss league which I want DESIRE richard to take pac mans spot desperately next year

richard is a playmaker has good chemistry with vladdy and kucherov he plays as well as pac man to me in every situation so hope he stays and takes that spot

paquette is a likeable guy just think he hit his top level so time to move on

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Callahan is easily one of my favorite players. I just wish he was a mil or 2 cheaper.

Agree. Prior to "the trade" he was my favorite non tb player in the league but wow that contract. If he repeats next year like he did this one I can see him being moved that summer. Other than that he's been a heart and soul guy and he's a fan favorite, just needs to produce and if not, deliver the hits and forecheck. Thought he played great yesterday.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Nah, I also feel Cally has not been playing up to his contract this year, 2 million worth? LOL, I am no GM but that seems low to me. A 40 point two-way forward, who is an elite grinder and PK'er probably goes for about 4 to 4.5 million these days. If he hits over 50 again then it's closer to 5.5 million, where he is pretty much at with his contract. But that is my opinion. People will ask where I got 40 points? I just took the median average from his 1st and 2nd seasons. I refuse to believe he is only going to put up around 30 points next season. As long as he gets PP time, should hit over 40 again.

My issue here, is after tying a career season in the 1st year of his contract, think people should give it at least another season before deeming it worst contract in the league, or even a bad contract for that matter. So far the contract has been very good for Tampa, we are in the ECF in back to back years, and no one here will deny Cally has had some kind of a significant impact with helping us get this far 2 years in a row.

Not going to deny he had a sub par regular season, was disappointed, but his playoff performance has been good this year. Doing all the little things, while putting up offense in key moments, and helping to shutdown the opposing teams while also killing penalties on a grand level, blocking shots, and providing the energy to his line. If he pots a couple of more goals next round, and plays like he did in both Game 5's, then he is good, and don't think people are going to complain as much about his production, like DFC said. I expect nothing less from Cally in this next series. We are going to need him to step up like he did in Game 3 and 5 against the Isles.

He's hit over 50 points twice in his 11 year NHL career I highly doubt he's going to get there a few more times. Roughly 1/3 of his career goals have come on the PP, which is nice but when you look at our team there's no reason he should be on the PP with us having many more talented players than him. So he's going to struggle to put up goals and points since he's an average 5 on 5 player.

He wasn't out there shutting down Tavares, he was out against the Islanders 4th line. He was outscored by Clutterbuck and Cizikis, he outscored perennial 4th liner Matt Martin who makes 1mil. He's a nice energy player but clearly nowhere close to being worth 5.8 for the next 4 years while also having a NMC, it's an awful contract.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
He's hit over 50 points twice in his 11 year NHL career I highly doubt he's going to get there a few more times. Roughly 1/3 of his career goals have come on the PP, which is nice but when you look at our team there's no reason he should be on the PP with us having many more talented players than him. So he's going to struggle to put up goals and points since he's an average 5 on 5 player.

He wasn't out there shutting down Tavares, he was out against the Islanders 4th line. He was outscored by Clutterbuck and Cizikis, he outscored perennial 4th liner Matt Martin who makes 1mil. He's a nice energy player but clearly nowhere close to being worth 5.8 for the next 4 years while also having a NMC, it's an awful contract.
Agree with most but you don't always put the most talented put on the PP. See Boyle yesterday as an example.

Or is he one of the most skilled? :D

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
I believe the GM and organization should decide the value and worth of a player to a team, and not the opinions of pretty much everyone on HF boards.

As per the Stamkos posts we are talking about a 5.8 million cap hit vs a potential 10 million one. Cally's contract is very movable after 2 years when his NMC is up. Stamkos' will not be. Difference between Stamkos and Cally is that Cally is not useless when he is not scoring far from it . I would like Stamkos to stay but for around 8 million not a penny more. So there is a difference there as well. I guess I am Cally's white knight and you are Stamkos', you keep doing what you are doing to support your favorite player, I will do the same.

Exactly. So it speaks volumes when the coach plays him in the bottom 6. According to the coach he's bottom 6, third line grinder. You don't pay handy to 6 million for that.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009

Do you even hear yourself? According to you, GM's should be valuing worth, then you go on to value Stamkos in the very next paragraph. :shakehead

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
That is the most ridiculous think I have ever heard. We have the depth, that is why he is on the 3rd line but getting around 17 to 18 mins average a game.

Drouin for an example last game got 14 mins, Callahan got 18 mins because he is used for both offense and defense situations. That makes him more valuable of a player.

So Carle is more valuable than Drouin or Kucherov? Are you really judging a players worth by their ice time? He gets so much time, same as Boyle, because of all the penalties we have to kill, if it wasn't for that and it's 14 to 14 minutes for Drouin and Callahan, who would be more valuable? If you say Callahan...

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
His contract
Sucks but if it gets us a few cups no issues then!

Ryan Callahan isn't going to be a determining factor in the Lightning winning cups. Just about any bottom six, million dollar player in the league can do what he does. The consensus is, Callahan had one of his better games of the playoffs yesterday and he was a complete non-factor.

He had a couple of good hits, but then again so did Matt Martin. His line scored a goal and he had nothing to do with it. Basically, even in his so called "good games" he's a non-factor.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
In an offensive situation Drouin, when we are up by one and the other team pulls their goalie , then Callahan. Do you want Drouin blocking shots like Cally does ? Hell no.

Wait. You just said x player with more time than x player is more valuable, that's the scenario. Not end of game, game on the line situation. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. Of COURSE Callahan would be out there at the end, why you would even feel the need to reiterate that is beyond me. You said since Callahan played 18 minutes and Drouin 14, it makes him more valuable.

Again, minus an assist and a goal in game 3, what noticeable impact has Callahan had on offense in the playoffs this year? Heck all year? He's not providing the offense you seem to be imagining in your mind. He's pretty much done nothing on offense bar 1g and 1a at SIX MILLION A YEAR. Contract aside, that's typical of a 4th liner. Daniel Paille had equivalent playoff success to him and actually won a cup. King from LA, heck even Colin Wilson is having an equivalent (factoring in PK for Callahan) or better playoff than Callahan. Callahan is not as valuable as you think. He can be replaced by another pk magician and his offense that would be lost really won't be missed cause he's invisible 75% of the time and I doubt it would that hard to replace a player with 30 points with someone 6 million cheaper....see JT Brown for a replacement from within. ( not that I'd take that as a swap but just an example)

I really, really, really like Callahan but you're making it hard to like the guy when I see nonsense like this. TOI is a terrible way to judge players value. That's like saying Callahan is more valuable than Kucherov because he can kill penalties and Kucherov cant? :help:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In an offensive situation Drouin, when we are up by one and the other team pulls their goalie , then Callahan. Do you want Drouin blocking shots like Cally does ? Hell no.

That's a false argument. It's more like, do we want Callahan blocking shots, or Tanner Richard?

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
I never said that. My argument was just because he is on a 3rd line it does not mean he is getting Ice time like a 3rd liner. Cooper still uses him in all situations and that was my point to why he is still very valuable to this team. Not saying he is more valuable than Drouin or Kucherov unless it's a certain situation like the PK .

You are Judging him on one season. Last year he hit over 50 points. Had a strong start and finish to the playoffs last year but got sick in the middle. Since we are talking about production he put it up in the SCF the biggest stage on the NHL, so he certainly earned points for that. He is in the bottom 6 now , so you cannot expect much offense from him, but still does everything else. Look at Palat and Flip who have nearly the same amount of points as him. How do you justify that? They have been playing with our more productive skilled forwards. I think Cally has been outplaying Palat and Flip. They are the ones who have been invisible. Do you really think our 2nd line has been lights out? Our 3rd line has come through the same production, maybe even more in the last series. Including a clutch goal in the 1st period and assisting on another game winner.

Isn't that an oxymoron? This is the foolishness that some people here are growing tired of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->