Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No surprise there. Now if Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan takes off, he could be looking at a career season. Would be great!

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Should be Hedman IMO

I hope Hedman will wear the other one, or at least be one of them if they rotate it but it's no surprise that Cally wear it, he's always been a natural leader. I also wonder if maybe Hedman isn't wearing a letter because they want to give him the chance to fully develop, either he thinks so or the organization thinks so since wearing a letter comes with some responsibility and he's still young, who knows, but you can tell he's still a leader as are many on this team.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Should be Hedman IMO

If you're not in the room, your opinion is kind of meaningless.

Callahan can be a little frustrating production-wise, but I think he has had a hugely positive effect on the development of players like Killorn and Palat. He's earned an A.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Callahan can be a little frustrating production-wise, but I think he has had a hugely positive effect on the development of players like Killorn and Palat. He's earned an A.

Coop played him like a yo-yo last season, going up and down on the Stamkos and 3rd line, so his production was going to be effected.

Callahan started last season with 21 points (10 Goals) in his first 20 games, and then gets moved to the 3rd line. Issue is Coop wants his shutdown line, and it's one of the reasons he was moved down there, along with Stamkos going cold. I'm hoping this season with this new KFC line that won't happen and will give DSC a chance to really build their chemistry. Not everyone is going to be like TKO, and have instant chemistry right off the bat. But because we have TKO we can let that line develop, while still having a solid shutdown line as well.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL

I meant for the 2nd A. I don't see the point of rotating it again all year. Cally has earned his.

As for opinions being meaningless. Well this whole board is meaningless.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I think they should have an alternating "A" with Palat and Johnson for home/away games

Then maybe an "A" for Hedmen alternating with Boyle or Stralman for home/away games.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I meant for the 2nd A. I don't see the point of rotating it again all year. Cally has earned his.

As for opinions being meaningless. Well this whole board is meaningless.

ALLEN_1986_Hannah_and_Her_Sisters_00-59-38.jpg

:cry:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Last nights game was Cally's 100th one in a Bolt jersey.

Part of it feels as if it's been longer and part feels like time have really gone by fast.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Last nights game was Cally's 100th one in a Bolt jersey.

Part of it feels as if it's been longer and part feels like time have really gone by fast.

68 points in those games, 31 Goals, and a plus 14 rating. Not bad for a 3rd liner.

Did not like how he played yesterday though. He had a strong start the first two games, and he should of gotten on the board with this horrible Bruins team.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Thread needs a bump. Cannot catch a break in the box score. Two disallowed goals last night he would of got a point on each. Unreal.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Great article.

If any Lightning player deserved a goal Thursday, it was Callahan, who has been the team's best player recently heading into Saturday's game against the Panthers at Amalie Arena. Callahan may not have a point to show for it on the score sheet the past five games, but he has set the tone with his monster all-around effort, the kind of consistency that has been elusive for the rest of the team. Captain Steven Stamkos may have scored the game-winner Thursday, but Callahan's on-ice leadership has stood out. It's why he's an alternate captain.

"He's kind of the straw that's stirring the drink right now," coach Jon Cooper said. "He never cheats you on effort. You wish you have a ton of guys like him. They're a rare commodity, glad he's with us."

Said Johnson: "If you've got a team full of Callahans, you don't lose too many games."

Having lost six of eight heading into this homestand, Callahan said they needed to dig themselves out of it with hard work. Instead of just talking the talk, Callahan walked the walk, hoping others would follow.

"That's on our shoulders, we have to set the tone," Callahan said. "And our leadership group knows that. We have to lead by example."

"When you see a guy hitting everything that moves, moving their feet 100 miles per hour, diving in front of shots head first, that gets you going," Johnson said. "Because the ultimate thing you can do is play for your teammates. And when you see a teammate playing the way he did, you may need to step it up."

Callahan plays a physical style that is unique on the Lightning. His 38 hits, which rank 51st in the league, are 14 more than his next teammates, defensemen Anton Stralman and Jason Garrison (24). Callahan's 15 blocked shots are 14th among the league's forwards.

Callahan didn't serve in that role very much last season in Tampa Bay, but was added to the unit Oct. 15 after it allowed five goals in the first 12 opportunities. Callahan said he has killed penalties his entire career. He loves it. And Callahan's impact has been undeniable. The Lightning has killed 35 of the last 39 power plays, moving up from last to 15th (79.6 percent).

"He does what he does, stirs the pot, uses his tenacity and his speed," captain Steven Stamkos said. "He's been a big part of why, for the most part, our penalty kill has been a lot better."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/ryan-callahan-provides-lightning-a-spark/2253890

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
yeah great article, kinda annoyed with his point totals and it's not the telling tale of his overall performance. He has gotten robbed more than a few times with the scoring and the refs.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Like the entire team he's underperforming. In fact, he's on pace for 18 goals (good) and 27 points (not good).

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Like the entire team he's underperforming. In fact, he's on pace for 18 goals (good) and 27 points (not good).

Should have more goals, and the assist on the 1st dissallowed goal still think Stamkos had the time to get a stick down was a great set up but was not on Stamkos entirely since he was being pressured, but that 2nd dissallowed goal was all on Stamkos. it's not really underperforming, it's bad luck along with the Refs and NHL not being kind to him.

So if the scoring went a little differently he should have a few more points. With his points now he is going to have to go on a few multi-point game tear, to make up some ground.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Should have more goals, and the assist on the 1st dissallowed goal still think Stamkos had the time to get a stick down was a great set up but was not on Stamkos entirely since he was being pressured, but that 2nd dissallowed goal was all on Stamkos. it's not really underperforming, it's bad luck along with the Refs and NHL not being kind to him.

So if the scoring went a little differently he should have a few more points. With his points now he is going to have to go on a few multi-point game tear, to make up some ground.

You're right--he's not underperforming. But please stop counting the points that Callahan "should" have had. ;)

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're right--he's not underperforming. But please stop counting the points that Callahan "should" have had. ;)

Yeah I know, but that last disallowed goal really stung. Media really blew it up, but yeah. It's just a team struggling to score goals, every goal is going to bring more confidence to the players. EN or not. I like what Johnson said about it. Really hit the nail on the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad