Callahan, NHL 2nd star of the week!

So basically....

Baaccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkk

CcZw-CRW4AENH6-.jpg

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He has been solid most of the season, he got hurt around Nov, and was playing hurt and then was snake-bitten as hell and also being victim of several disallowed goals he cashed in points, but then taken away by the refs. He currently sits #6 on the team in points, and #4 among forwards in points, while playing most of the season on the 3rd line and getting less PP time this year. Does he bring it every single night? No, no player does, but you can likely count on one hand how many below par or bad games he has had this season. He has also been one of our best players 5 on 5. The PP really has been the only thing he has struggled with but that is not all on him. No shots going to the net. That is the huge reason his production is down this year. He actually is pretty close on pace to his 5 on 5 numbers from last season.

Check out the 5 on 5 stats...

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ters&minutes=300&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

I love Callahan as much as anyone but up until he got his act together a few weeks ago we were pretty much paying him to kill penalties. For all his effort to dominate along the walls, get behind defenders on the rush, to hurry the opposition into making mistakes, intercepting passes etc.. all of that effort accounted for nothing on the scoreboard. When you're getting paid that much it HAS TO translate onto the scoreboard. He's lucky the snake finally stopped biting him because if the slump we saw was going to be the new normal, his days would have been numbered and people would have started to grumble. You can't spend a whole season getting outproduced by J.T Brown like that. No one has done so because we all figured he would come out of it eventually and busting his ass every night would pay off.

It's not a coincidence now that Callahan's efforts are translating into points on the board, the Lightning are riding a huge win streak. Whenever he can contribute, he becomes our best overall player on the ice save for maybe Hedman and Palat. You can throw Stamkos in there now that he's decided to wake up and play like it's 2011. But for the last week or so that $5.8 million feels like a bargain and Callahan is sure as hell worth every penny right now. If he can bag something like another 15 points along the way and finish the season strong at the point per game pace he's been putting up, the Lightning will inevitably finish strong and we can call October to January a big blip on his career radar.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
He has been solid most of the season, he got hurt around Nov, and was playing hurt and then was snake-bitten as hell and also being victim of several disallowed goals he cashed in points, but then taken away by the refs. He currently sits #6 on the team in points, and #4 among forwards in points, while playing most of the season on the 3rd line and getting less PP time this year. Does he bring it every single night? No, no player does, but you can likely count on one hand how many below par or bad games he has had this season. He has also been one of our best players 5 on 5. The PP really has been the only thing he has struggled with but that is not all on him. No shots going to the net. That is the huge reason his production is down this year. He actually is pretty close on pace to his 5 on 5 numbers from last season.

Check out the 5 on 5 stats...

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ters&minutes=300&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

I was pretty sure he was playing hurt but that doesn't change anything. If your play stinks, don't play, whether you're hurt or just sucking.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I was pretty sure he was playing hurt but that doesn't change anything. If your play stinks, don't play, whether you're hurt or just sucking.

I don't think he was hurt. At least not for a lot of time. He was ridiculously snakebitten for while, and there were also periods where, despite not scoring, he played pretty well, especially on the PK.

But the scoring has to be there for a guy making that kind of $, so it's good to see it now. A big help has been Stamkos's return to form (so far). That's made both Callahan and Killorn better.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Cally is gonna get 4 minutes for sneezing on somebody after someone tries to chop Bishop's hand off and gets nothing.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Hopefully Paquette is benched. Give Cally a better LW, it's important he scores so he can shut up some people here. But he could score a hat trick but people will complain when he takes a bad penalty right after.

Dude your obsession with Cally is something else. Love the player but reality is that he's overpaid. I would love nothing more than him scoring a hat trick and winning from that alone. Or even a key block or something that keeps the score the way it is. But nothing will change that he's a bit overpaid.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
It's not just about Callahan it is the pettiness and negativity of this forum, that sucks the enjoyment out of this place and the game. Last year was so much fun here but this year a lot of people post with this edge or arrogance in their posts or with a doom and Gloom. I don't expect it to always be happy and full of glee or whatnot but it is really bad this year and it's really crazy. Even the Stamkos posts are out of this world which is why I have stepped back a little in regards to those.

You were one of the worst offenders in regards to the Stamkos hate. Everything is fine and dandy if it's Killorn or Stamkos or Filppula being torn apart on here, you're pretty bad for giving it to those guys yourself, but the mere mention of Callahan and it's "unreal"

You of all people should be let down from his second bad playoff in a row. Of course, he still has time to turn it around.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Hopefully Paquette is benched. Give Cally a better LW, it's important he scores so he can shut up some people here. But he could score a hat trick but people will complain when he takes a bad penalty right after.

Cally doesn't have to score to be a difference maker. In my opinion he's been damn good this post season.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cally doesn't have to score to be a difference maker. In my opinion he's been damn good this post season.

You and I are far from the only ones who believe this. Most Tampa fans are most likely content with his performance. HF boards is known for really disecting a player even when he sneezes the wrong way. Don't think fans at Amalie arena are complaining after him having 3 big offensive plays in 5 games to help this team win.

Also, here was a nice article in the Tampa Bay Times...

https://mobile.twitter.com/TBTimes_JSmith/status/728211726487957504

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
It's not just about Callahan it is the pettiness and negativity of this forum, that sucks the enjoyment out of this place and the game. .

^^^ Exhibit A ^^^

Seriously, it's not really been different than last year, plenty of negative then too. But why drag this into a GDT when everyone is getting pumped up and excited for another Bolts victory?

Can't wait for game time!!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
^^^ Exhibit A ^^^

Seriously, it's not really been different than last year, plenty of negative then too. But why drag this into a GDT when everyone is getting pumped up and excited for another Bolts victory?

Can't wait for game time!!

You are right. I put those trolls on ignore, not going to let them ruin a victory or getting pumped for a game. Go Bolts!!!

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
You are right. I put those trolls on ignore, not going to let them ruin a victory or getting pumped for a game. Go Bolts!!!

Nobody here is trolling you. Callahan is what he is at this point in his career. He's a bottom 6 energy winger with great defensive skills and a solid possession game. He won't put up points anymore, he isn't going to get 10-15 goals a year on the PP anymore, he isn't going to be a 50 point player anymore. We have all accepted him for what he is and we appreciate his role with the team. At 5.8 million a year, he is overpaid for his role. That's just a fact. You are the only one that can't accept reality and see what Callahan is now. To you it's just always someone else's fault. When he was with Stamkos it was Stamkos' fault. When he was with Filppula it was Filppula's fault. When he was with Paquette it was Paquette's fault. Maybe he just isn't a scoring liner anymore. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best one.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Nobody here is trolling you. Callahan is what he is at this point in his career. He's a bottom 6 energy winger with great defensive skills and a solid possession game. He won't put up points anymore, he isn't going to get 10-15 goals a year on the PP anymore, he isn't going to be a 50 point player anymore. We have all accepted him for what he is and we appreciate his role with the team. At 5.8 million a year, he is overpaid for his role. That's just a fact. You are the only one that can't accept reality and see what Callahan is now. To you it's just always someone else's fault. When he was with Stamkos it was Stamkos' fault. When he was with Filppula it was Filppula's fault. When he was with Paquette it was Paquette's fault. Maybe he just isn't a scoring liner anymore. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best one.

Good post and I agree. This reminds me so much of the Vinny buyout. People loved him and everybody would've gladly kept him on the team for some depth on the PP and as a decent 3rd liner who pots in a goal every few games. But not for his $7.7M contract. He wasn't that player anymore.

Ultimately we shouldn't care about stuff like that. Because Yzerman did sign him to that contract. And it's working. We are one win short of reaching the ECF. A year after we went to game 6 of the SCF. To figure out how it's gonna work next season is what Yzerman is getting paid for.

We all might just act as if we didn't know its numbers and term because, well, we don't control this team's finances and cap limit, we don't manage contracts and roster spots. Cally is a part of this team, a team better than (at least) 12 teams in the East. And he is still arguably better than several players currently on the roster. And he's one of the few I will want to see on the ice if we have to defend a 1-goal lead in the final minute to reach the next round.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
very well said and 100 percent agree⚡⚡⚡⚡

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I agree with a lot of this, but the optimist in me has me holding out to see if he can bounce back statistically next season. Imo, 2016-17 will be the most telling if this was just a bad year or the start of a decline.
Good guy, but clearly not a playoff performer.

He'll always leave me and I think everyone else wanting more offensively for a player of his price tag, but other than that I have no real complaints about his postseason play. He's a big piece of the puzzle to our playoff success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->