RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Likely they’d have to wait 3 years. And maybe more, he could still re-sign in the KHL after his current deal.

Re: the size of the penalty, I’m not sure if the exact details of his deal are public? But it’s normally in the range of the player’s salary - i.e. a player making $1 mil/year in the KHL often has to pay about $1 mil/year to buy himself out. In practice, it seems to rarely happen - players who sign these deals tend to want to complete them.

My guess is Michkov goes 2nd overall anyways, but I think it’s more likely he goes 3-5 than 1, given his deal with SKA.

Nowadays it's D+3 season, when teams start getting any meaningful production from even their top prospects. Michkov will be available in D+4 season.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Nowadays it's D+3 season, when teams start getting any meaningful production from even their top prospects. Michkov will be available in D+4 season.

Imagine Alex Ovechkin isn't NHL-available until the age of 22 and you say to yourself "I'm not drafting him, I'll take Andrew Ladd instead. He'll step in right away and give me good Canadian boy minutes."

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was also responsible for some big chances and could easily have got more points. Even played shorthanded although I'm not a fan of this idea. But yes, still a little rusty.

Why wouldn’t you want your best players to play in the highest leverage situations? I don’t understand this type of thinking that you put out the fourth line grinders for the less glamorous PK work. Play your best players the most in the highest leverage situations.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Imagine Alex Ovechkin isn't NHL-available until the age of 22 and you say to yourself "I'm not drafting him, I'll take Andrew Ladd instead. He'll step in right away and give me good Canadian boy minutes."

Imagine that your job is potentially on the line after one more bad season, and you tell the owner that you are drafting a player who can’t play for the NHL team until D+4, at the earliest.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Imagine that your job is potentially on the line after one more bad season, and you tell the owner that you are drafting a player who can’t play for the NHL team until D+4, at the earliest.

But then you will say: "This is a player, who can score regularly 60 goals in a season. Who can make your team better immediately, when he arrives. Lets use this 4 years to prepare for his arrival. Lets search for another promising players, veterans with character, that will help him accommodate. Our marketing team should immediately create a much bigger hype, that he has for now. That not only ice-hockey fans, but also a guy from the street, who doesnt care about NHL, knows who is Michkov."

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Truly dumb decision by Michkov (or his parents / agent), projecting to be a top pick, what was the point of that contract ? 1-2 years post draft is understandable, but 3 is too much. I do expect him to buy out the contract for the last year.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
He'll 100% buy out the whole remaining contract when drafted. His KHL contract is 1M/yr, he stands to make way more than that in the NHL. Every year he stays over there will cost him a fortune.

They probably sold him on it being "insurance" in case his career got derailed by injuries, or he didn't doesn't pan out as expected. Probably not worth it, but not as dumb as it looks. He basically paid 1M (2M earned, 3M paid for buyout) out of his future NHL earnings, which should be massive, to guarantee himself minimum 5M no matter what.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

KotBegemot

Feb 18, 2018
Contract details of Mickov's contract with SKA:

21/22: KHL - 5 mln ₽; MHL/VHL - 2.5 mln ₽
22/23: 10/5
23/24: 15/7.5
24/25: 25/12.5
25/26: 30/15

Снимок экрана 2021-08-03 в 13.29.20.png

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If he wasn't in the same draft class as another great talent like Bedard it would be interesting if he was taken first overall or not given his KHL contract. But with that being said I think Bedard should go number 1.

This is a very interesting situation for a player of his talent.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Hard to say who I prefer between Michkov and Bedard so far. Both are just electrifying talents that can do things I haven’t seen 15yos do in a long long time. In fact, I would say that Bedard and Michkov are both more impressive than McDavid at the same age

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
He'll 100% buy out the whole remaining contract when drafted. His KHL contract is 1M/yr, he stands to make way more than that in the NHL. Every year he stays over there will cost him a fortune.

They probably sold him on it being "insurance" in case his career got derailed by injuries, or he didn't doesn't pan out as expected. Probably not worth it, but not as dumb as it looks. He basically paid 1M (2M earned, 3M paid for buyout) out of his future NHL earnings, which should be massive, to guarantee himself minimum 5M no matter what.
Out of his own money? That is unrealistic.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Contract details of Mickov's contract with SKA:

21/22: KHL - 5 mln ₽; MHL/VHL - 2.5 mln ₽
22/23: 10/5
23/24: 15/7.5
24/25: 25/12.5
25/26: 30/15

View attachment 458969
So ~$205K USD in year 3, ~$342K USD in year 4, ~$410K USD in year 5. Have you seen any details on buyout specifics?

If the buyout penalty is what the salary would have been, this structure is very nice for SKA. Like, say after 3 years, he wanted to buy himself out, he would’ve only earned 27.5 million rubles so far, and would owe 55 million. Even after 4 years, he’d have earned 52.5 million rubles, but would potentially owe 30 million (depending on how the buyout structure works), which he maybe wouldn’t have due to taxes, spending, etc.

Last edited:

KotBegemot

Feb 18, 2018
So ~$205K USD in year 3, ~$342K USD in year 4, ~$410K USD in year 5. Have you seen any details on buyout specifics?

If the buyout penalty is what the salary would have been, this structure is very nice for SKA. Like, say after 3 years, he wanted to buy himself out, he would’ve only earned 27.5 million rubles so far, and would owe 55 million. Even after 4 years, he’d have earned 52.5 million rubles, but would potentially owe 30 million (depending on how the buyout structure works), which he maybe wouldn’t have due to taxes, spending, etc.
I honestly don't know much about how buyout even works in KHL. It's probably different in each individual case depending on the contract and its specifics. If he's really gonna be that good and will tear up KHL after 3rd or 4th year in SKA they may just mutually break a contract and let Michkov go to NHL just not to break relationship since SKA management is heavily connected to national team. But if he really wants to go to NHL after the draft I assume he'll have to pay approximately a million bucks to SKA. Maybe he'll get a loan in Gazprombank:sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: ponder

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hard to say who I prefer between Michkov and Bedard so far. Both are just electrifying talents that can do things I haven’t seen 15yos do in a long long time. In fact, I would say that Bedard and Michkov are both more impressive than McDavid at the same age

McDavid was bigger than both, projected to stay at center (Michkov not a center, Bedard might not stick at center), and was a much better skater than either. These two might end up with better pre-draft accolades for various reasons, but I don’t see them projecting at the same level to the NHL as McDavid and I think it’s an open question if they are better than the next tier of players.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I do not understand why should Michkov buy-out the contract. Absolutely no reason for doing it. If NHL club wants, that NHL club can come to SKA with offer, guessing a few million of dollars & the problem is solved.

I would not be surprised if SKA increase Michkov´s salary in the last year or two. Does not matter what is written in the cotract now, but what will be written later. Many such cases, lately Voronkov.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

I bring up the Andrew Ladd example, we shake hands and select Michkov.

Reactions: kp61c

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong but his KHL contract is at max a total of about $1M through 25/26... How in the world is this a good contract for a player of his caliber?

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
McDavid was bigger than both, projected to stay at center (Michkov not a center, Bedard might not stick at center), and was a much better skater than either. These two might end up with better pre-draft accolades for various reasons, but I don’t see them projecting at the same level to the NHL as McDavid and I think it’s an open question if they are better than the next tier of players.
I don’t know that McDavid is really a better skater than Bedard at the same age. Sure, I think he had better top end speed and was a little more explosive laterally, but I don’t think it’s a thing where they’re tiers apart in that regard. I think McDavid is was a more creative player at the same age, but Bedard and Michkov are both much better scorers and Michkov in particular profiles as one of the best offensive goal scoring minds I’ve seen with his ability to read goaltenders. They’re all certainly in the same tier for me based on pre-draft accolades, production, and skill set. But, you’re right, McDavid does probably overall grade our the highest in pure skill at the same age.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I don’t know that McDavid is really a better skater than Bedard at the same age. Sure, I think he had better top end speed and was a little more explosive laterally, but I don’t think it’s a thing where they’re tiers apart in that regard. I think McDavid is was a more creative player at the same age, but Bedard and Michkov are both much better scorers and Michkov in particular profiles as one of the best offensive goal scoring minds I’ve seen with his ability to read goaltenders. They’re all certainly in the same tier for me based on pre-draft accolades, production, and skill set. But, you’re right, McDavid does probably overall grade our the highest in pure skill at the same age.

Stopped reading at this. It was apparent McDavid had higher potential than the likes of even Crosby due to his ability to skate so much faster than everyone else.

Bedard, as great as he is, is not the skater McDavid was. I think we truly have to go back to Bobby Orr to have someone who's ability to skate was that much greater than his peers from such a young age.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Stopped reading at this. It was apparent McDavid had higher potential than the likes of even Crosby due to his ability to skate so much faster than everyone else.

Bedard, as great as he is, is not the skater McDavid was. I think we truly have to go back to Bobby Orr to have someone who's ability to skate was that much greater than his peers from such a young age.
Now, this just isn’t true. Of course, he’s got incredible speed, but he isn’t that much faster than everyone else. What made McDavid’s ceiling so high is his ability to process the game at such high of speeds. A lot of players can skate at close to as fast as him, but nobody can skate that fast and think the same way he can.

Reactions: BMann

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Now, this just isn’t true. Of course, he’s got incredible speed, but he isn’t that much faster than everyone else. What made McDavid’s ceiling so high is his ability to process the game at such high of speeds. A lot of players can skate at close to as fast as him, but nobody can skate that fast and think the same way he can.

As far as overall skating, yes he is. You can argue that some may put up a fight in straight line speed or while skating a lap without the puck, but as far as in game speed with the puck on his stick, and just skating in all situations in a game, McDavid is clear and away better than everyone else in the league.

His IQ and hands just make him that much more OP than everyone else, but his skating is his number 1 asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad