RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Correct me if I'm wrong but his KHL contract is at max a total of about $1M through 25/26... How in the world is this a good contract for a player of his caliber?

The more I ponder it, the more I think it's an insurance type thing. He specifically said he signed the contract to ensure his parents are set up for life.
If his development slows or stops, it's still a cool million in the bank assuming he keeps playing on SKA. But the amount isn't too outrageous whereby he won't be able to buy himself out later on if he's NHL ready.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This is getting pretty sidetracked, but re: McDavid's skating at the same age, it was insane. Here's an example of his ridiculous video-game speed back from his GTHL days - I believe he had recently turned 15 in this clip:

Even at 15 he was faster than most NHLers. His skating was as exceptional as it gets at that age, certainly ahead of same-age Bedard or Michkov.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
This is getting pretty sidetracked, but re: McDavid's skating at the same age, it was insane. Here's an example of his ridiculous video-game speed back from his GTHL days - I believe he had recently turned 15 in this clip:

Even at 15 he was faster than most NHLers. His skating was as exceptional as it gets at that age, certainly ahead of same-age Bedard or Michkov.

Michkov's skating was good enough to score 70 goals in 26 games.

Reactions: andys

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
If I were a NHL GM I call the owner and I tell him to pay him under the table if you know what I mean so he can buy out the rest of the contract
It's a bit funny how dirt cheap it is to buy his contract out and yet there's nothing you can do about. Especially if you are the gm of a bottom-dweller whose job is on the line and you need an impactful player now. If he lives up to the hype, 3 years of Michkov flushed down the toilet will seem like an eternity.

Last edited:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Michkov's skating was good enough to score 70 goals in 26 games.

John Tavares was the most prolific scorer at 16 in OHL history and was the furthest thing from a great skater.

I am in no way comparing Michkov's skating to JT, but simply stating his stats doesn't exactly paint the entire picture of a player's skillset. I think its pretty obvious McDavid was the better skater, but Michkov easily has the better shot in every way.

Its really not a knock to be considered a lesser skater than #97

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
John Tavares was the most prolific scorer at 16 in OHL history and was the furthest thing from a great skater.

I am in no way comparing Michkov's skating to JT, but simply stating his stats doesn't exactly paint the entire picture of a player's skillset. I think its pretty obvious McDavid was the better skater, but Michkov easily has the better shot in every way.

Its really not a knock to be considered a lesser skater than #97
That’s not to say Bédard has a bad shot, HE DOESNT. It may even be Bedard’s best attribute but that’s a testament to how good Michkov’s shot is.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think Michkov has a better release, and Bedard shoots with more power.
Michkov has an abolute laser of a wrist shot, hard, fast, accurate. He in fact sort of already has his signature goal on PP mimicing Ovechkin. Only in Michkov's case it's a wrister through traffic from the right circle that absolutely threatens to rip the netting. He so far scored one of those in each of the Hlinka-Gretzky games.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
I think Michkov has a better release, and Bedard shoots with more power.
I'd agree with this. It seems like Michkov uses an insanely quick release and accuracy to find the back of the net, whereas Bedard relies on changing the shooting angle in his release and power. Stylistically I think Bedard shoots a lot like Matthews and I'm trying to decide who Michkov shoots like. Maybe Kovalchuk or Kessel? Someone who can shoot off the stickhandle well.
Do either of them take many one-timers? Seems like they are both snap/wrist shot guys from my viewings.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Hitted a post as well, and it should be a penalty shot on his SH breakaway. Overall, I'd say he had his best game at the tournament, but scored just one goal.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Hitted a post as well, and it should be a penalty shot on his SH breakaway. Overall, I'd say he had his best game at the tournament, but scored just one goal.
I just looked at the official side of the tournament. Yesterday He scored two.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Seems to be a better Kaprizov. Neither had world class speed but they have great strength and edgework.

His shiftiness and ability to process the game with freakish speed makes him a lock to be a star IMO. Watching him live in Texas this past spring, you can just tell he is playing a different game mentally than his peers. Sensational prospect

Reactions: andys and TK 421
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan