RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I’d like to see extended stats if they’re available but in no way Michkov had a bad game against Switzerland, at least not from what I’ve seen

He's like Messi or Maradona. In the sense he is a level above. He sees things they don't. He puts things on a plate but they cannot finish them. Some of the mealy mouthed comments about him are just that.

EichelFan15

May 7, 2021
Good thing you're not a scout. Leaving your biases out of the equation would be a good place to start.
He probably had 6 or so turnovers (most as F3), missed 3 or 4 ten foot passes and looked like he was trying to do to much. showed flashes of brilliance but definitely did not have a good game, by his standards at least. Could be lack of teammate support though

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
I do not think he had his best match either but despite that he was Russia's best player without a doubt and showed some of his magic on a couple of occasions. However team Russia is completely out of sync and needs to step up a few steps if they are to go far. Michkov is amazing but can not do everything himself. Sometimes you forget he only just 17years old.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's like Messi or Maradona. In the sense he is a level above. He sees things they don't.

I agree with this and this is the main reason why I have him above Bedard as the top 2023 prospect right now. I have no horse in this race and I think both guys have flaws. I wouldn’t project either guy as generational and I think Bedard has better raw tools, but I think Michkov has generational hockey sense that should project him to be at least a star player, maybe a superstar. I think his hockey sense makes him a safer prospect.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Btw if memory serves me right, Michkov scored at least a point in every game of every international tournament he played at (Youth Olympics, WJC U18, Hlinka/Gretzky and WJC U20).

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
He said he signed the SKA contract to make his parents financially secure for life. Probably any 15-16 year old would do the same given the immediate opportunity.

Are all NHL entry level contracts 2-way? If so, he could theoretically spend half a million USD to nullify the SKA deal only to then make, what, $80k in the AHL?

I am impressed with michkov for doing that.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’ll never be convinced he isn’t at least as good as Bedard. Imagine what he would do in the CHL.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The flight might raise concern amongst NHL teams if he was one of the few not cooperating.

Might need to play in the CHL next season.

Reactions: kp61c

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
He'll be playing in the u18 WJC with Bedard again will he not ? Germany ought to have better preparations for organizing a bubble for the teams then. He'll be ratcheting up the points again no doubt as will Bedard.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
He'll be playing in the u18 WJC with Bedard again will he not ? Germany ought to have better preparations for organizing a bubble for the teams then. He'll be ratcheting up the points again no doubt as will Bedard.

No guarantee of that. Hockey Canada tends not send back players to play a U18 tournament once they've played a U20 tournament. It's a silly Hockey Canada rule, but given how things played out at the U20 tournament, they may very well waive that internal rule. Another U18 tournament for Bedard and Wright should be on the table. Bedard most likely will be available. Wright will be playing OHL playoffs at that time.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I see more and more similarities between him and Kaprizov. Both are elite skaters despite not being very fast. Both are considered goal scorers, but can make plays as good as anyone. And both are high IQ players above all. It's just Michkov is going to be even better player, than Kaprizov, and Kaprizov is on 100+ point pace in just his 2nd NHL season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad