RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
„In hockey terms a full year younger“, „use to playing international“… your 25 years of scouting experience cannot be overlooked! Btw Bedard has significantly more (international) experience.
Full year is not defined by international experience but rather being able to start hockey a year before...mitchkov has more international experience...he dominated the youth Olympics...bedard played u18 as well as mitchkov....what other international experience does bedard have

Reactions: EichelFan15

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Full year is not defined by international experience but rather being able to start hockey a year before...mitchkov has more international experience...he dominated the youth Olympics...bedard played u18 as well as mitchkov....what other international experience does bedard have

Does Michkov have that extra year of hockey experience? Do you know that or are you just guessing? What I know is that Bedard could play on the ice he was used to. That he has played several WSI and even has a stay abroad in Sweden. I have no idea whether you are really serious that Michkov has an advantage in experience here because of the Youth Olympics. That‘s really ridiculous.

EichelFan15

May 7, 2021
Really good points - completely agree.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Does Michkov have that extra year of hockey experience? Do you know that or are you just guessing? What I know is that Bedard could play on the ice he was used to. That he has played several WSI and even has a stay abroad in Sweden. I have no idea whether you are really serious that Michkov has an advantage in experience here because of the Youth Olympics. That‘s really ridiculous.

He played 5 total domestic games in Sweden....

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I don’t think Fantilli is a top 3 contender either. Good player, but the type of player who probably goes in the 11-20 or 21-32 range.

I usually agree with your takes on players, but I find it very tough to believe there'll be 20-30 players better than Fantilli in 2023.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I usually agree with your takes on players, but I find it very tough to believe there'll be 20-30 players better than Fantilli in 2023.

It could be 10 players, and my take there would be correct, so it doesn't need to be 20-30. I agree with you that it'd probably be less than 20-30. I don't think everyone knows all the best players yet in 2023, but we do know the level of ability and talent that usually results in a top 5, top 10, top 20, top 30, 2nd-3rd round, late round ranges.

If I look at Fantilli's game, I don't see a guy who has top 10 talent. I think he lacks in terms of the scoring skills that yield 70, 80, 90 point potential that you see out of the forwards that usually go in the top 10. I think he's going to be a first rounder because he's a big guy who can skate, handle the puck, and he has a good two way game. But can he score enough? He might've done so at a young age against lesser competition due to his size and skating, but I'm not sure he'll do so as much at the NHL level.

Maybe he does go top 10 though. I wouldn't consider Beniers to be one of those high skill guys that goes top 10, and the same could be said for McTavish. NHL teams value big centers who play a two way game, so he may go higher than I'd rank him, but I also think he probably will not be ranked as high as the perception 3-4 years before the draft suggested.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
-0Z-yFatjCM.jpg

Wow. His legs are massive for his age. I could see him ending up with a bit of a Marty St. Louis body shape.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Alex Ovechkin, Auston Matthews... Is Matvei Michkov the next 'Goalscoring King' of NHL?

Matvei Michkov, 5'10 tall, 16 y.o., born in December 9th of 2004, eligible for 2023 Draft (same as Bedard), left handed RW, is probably one of the most talented russian prospects ever.

Scored 109 Points (70 Goals + 39 Assists) in 26 Games in 2019-20 U16 Russian Tournement.
In comparison: Ovi in the same age as Michkov scored only 41 Goals in 32 Games in the same tournement.

Won & led 2020 Youth Olympics (U18) in scoring: 14 Points (9 Goals + 5 Assists) in just 4 Games while being just 15 year & 1 month old.

Broke Nikita Kucherov's record in 2020-21 MHL (U20 league) season for U17 player with 56 Points in 56 Games.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
But his most impressive achievement so far is his 2021 U18 World Championships performance: Tournement's MVP, Best Forward & Leading Scorer with 16 Points (12G + 4A) in 7 Games:

2021 U18 World Hockey Championship's leading scorers:
PositionPlayer NameGamesGoalsAssistsPoints
1​
Matvei Michkov
7​
12 4 16
2​
Shane Wright
5*
9 5 14
2​
Conor Bedard
7​
7 7 14
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Note: Shane Wright was 17 years & 3 month old, Matvei Michkov was 16 years & 4 months old, & Connor Bedard was 15 years & 9 months old during this tournement.
*Wright played 2 less games (5) than Michkov (7) & Bedard (7) & the oldest of the 3, while Bedard is the youngest one of them.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
He was also responsible for some big chances and could easily have got more points. Even played shorthanded although I'm not a fan of this idea. But yes, still a little rusty.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Why second? Is Bedard so much better that it makes it impossible for Michkov to go first?
Michkov signed a crazy 5 year deal with SKA, that covers 3 years post-draft. Technically he could buy himself out, but it’s unlikely - he’d have to pay the significant penalties, the team drafting him can’t.

If Michkov and Bedard are considered close, Bedard is a super easy choice - he’ll play in the NHL immediately in his D+1, while Michkov will play for the team that drafts him in his D+4, and maybe not even then.

I think the gap between Michkov and #3 will likely be big enough that a team will wait (and risk it), but it’s possible the SKA deal could knock him down lower. And it almost certainly kills his shot at #1, given how good Bedard is too.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Michkov signed a crazy 5 year deal with SKA, that covers 3 years post-draft. Technically he could buy himself out, but it’s unlikely - he’d have to pay the significant penalties, the team drafting him can’t.

If Michkov and Bedard are considered close, Bedard is a super easy choice - he’ll play in the NHL immediately in his D+1, while Michkov will play for the team that drafts him in his D+4, and maybe not even then.

I think the gap between Michkov and #3 will likely be big enough that a team will wait (and risk it), but it’s possible the SKA deal could knock him down lower. And it almost certainly kills his shot at #1, given how good Bedard is too.
How much exactly are these "significant penalties"?

There is zero percent chance this kid doesn't go 1-2 in the draft. Anyone who passes him because they might have to wait an extra year or two is absolutely insane. This kid could easily be the next franchise goal scorer.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

There is zero percent chance this kid doesn't go 1-2 in the draft. Anyone who passes him because they might have to wait an extra year or two is absolutely insane. This kid could easily be the next franchise goal scorer.

Yeah, I doubt any club will pass him. There are some good prospects in 2023, but they won't be NHL ready right after the draft. So it's still 2-3 years of wait, basically the same as with Michkov.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Likely they’d have to wait 3 years. And maybe more, he could still re-sign in the KHL after his current deal.

Re: the size of the penalty, I’m not sure if the exact details of his deal are public? But it’s normally in the range of the player’s salary - i.e. a player making $1 mil/year in the KHL often has to pay about $1 mil/year to buy himself out. In practice, it seems to rarely happen - players who sign these deals tend to want to complete them.

My guess is Michkov goes 2nd overall anyways, but I think it’s more likely he goes 3-5 than 1, given his deal with SKA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad