RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I can't quote the previous posts that quoted mine which was this:
NHL team give the money to Michkov and he buys himself out.
It can be done

Under KHL regulation a player can buy himself out of his contract paying 2/3 of his contract (if younger than 29) and with a period of notice of 1.5 years IIRC.
He can pay that sum by himself or if an NHL owner gives him the money out of his pocket. This has happened in other sports (soccer), and with much bigger amounts to pay (222M€ the Brazilian Neymar paid in order to buyout his contract, and believe me he didn't pay that out of his savings).

In order for this to work the player obviously has to want to go to the NHL as soon as possible and not honour his full contract in the KHL. A lot of young russian guys enjoy living in their home country and some of them are grateful for the chance the KHL teams give him (Kaprizov as an example), so yeah this doesn't happen often. All the power of decision remains on the player, but the possibility to do it is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: tmlfan98

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I can't quote the previous posts that quoted mine which was this:

Under KHL regulation a player can buy himself out of his contract paying 2/3 of his contract (if younger than 29) and with a period of notice of 1.5 years IIRC.
He can pay that sum by himself or if an NHL owner gives him the money out of his pocket. This has happened in other sports (soccer), and with much bigger amounts to pay (222M€ the Brazilian Neymar paid in order to buyout his contract, and believe me he didn't pay that out of his savings).

In order for this to work the player obviously has to want to go to the NHL as soon as possible and not honour his full contract in the KHL. A lot of young russian guys enjoy living in their home country and some of them are grateful for the chance the KHL teams give him (Kaprizov as an example), so yeah this doesn't happen often. All the power of decision remains on the player, but the possibility to do it is there.
Yes, it works just fine in other sports, no reason why it should not work in hockey, the NHL can change their rules.

I will just add. According to the law, now being in process of approving, all U23 Russian players going to a foreign league will be obligated to pay a development fee to their Russian clubs. Of course, it will be paid by a mechanism you described.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Yes, it works just fine in other sports, no reason why it should not work in hockey, the NHL can change their rules.

I will just add. According to the law, now being in process of approving, all U23 Russian players going to a foreign league will be obligated to pay a development fee to their Russian clubs. Of course, it will be paid by a mechanism you described.
What are the possible punishments to any players who don't pay the development fee?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Looked worse than it was. Michkov released the puck pretty early far side, the goalie just didn't get his blocker high enough.

Bedard scored exactly the same goal, just got the puck in the offensive zone, passed about 2 less opponents, and scored above the glove, not shoulder. It was all about his great shot...

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What are the possible punishments to any players who don't pay the development fee?
We need to wait until the government of the Russian Federation & the State Duma will adopt the law. Now, I can say just this. Former KHL President, now the vice-president of the Russian government - Dmitry Chernyshenko - is responsible for the adoption of the law. While being the KHL President, he said a few words about the idea. It should work like with government´s funds (stipendium) to university students - you will get a stipendium from the government, but you are obligated to work a few years in Russia after your graduation is over or to give back the stipendium. It works like this in other European countries as well. You can ask yourself, how it works with these funds, if a person does not want to work in a country or does not want to give the fund back.

The Russian government funds the hockey program across the country. So, young prospects are getting an elite education, so they should give something back to the system. Either playing in Russia or paying a compensation. As simple as that.

If speaking about the international transfer rules. A player needs an international transfer card if wanting to go abroad. If the Russian hockey federation does not give him this card, due to his unpaid obligations, he can not go anywhere.

If you are liberal, you can consider this as unfair to a player (individual). On the other hand, the international transfer rules are not protecting the small, poor leagues & clubs over rich leagues. I do not understand, why CHL/USHL clubs do not pay around 100 000 USD or whatever for every European they get. Or the NHL clubs negotiating the transfer fee with the European clubs on case to case. Dahlin/Michkov worth (fee) could be 10 million USD while some 4th line grinder would be for free. That is a fair model. If it worked like that, the Russians would not need to adopt the law they are discussing now.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Interesting stuff, thanks for the info. I would point out that if CHL teams had to pay 100,000 dollars for every Euro there would be very very few euros in the CHL. In fact they might be banned altogether, because only the rich teams could pay that. They are amateur teams, no matter what the ncaa says.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Michkov's shot is as good as Bedard's at least - what a laser he scored to Americans! 2 goals so far after 2 periods.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->