Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Saw on Twitter the Jets are interested in Ghostibiehre (sp?) who has asked for a trade - regular scratch in Philly these days.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
Bowey on waivers, should jets claim? Played with Morrissey

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I haven't seen enough of Bowey at the NHL level to really form an opinion.

As a junior player his athleticism always stood out to me. It couldn't hurt to pick him up and trial him on to the 4th.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Get that meme made, stat

3iwpfv.jpg

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I haven't seen enough of Bowey at the NHL level to really form an opinion.

As a junior player his athleticism always stood out to me. It couldn't hurt to pick him up and trial him on to the 4th.

I know he has gotten flack for his play lately, but I mean he is playing for Detroit so that is hard to judge if it is on the individual or just the team being trash overall. Kind of like Pionk in New York last season. I'd say grab him, his cap hit isn't much ($1 million)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
After some admittedly very quick stat watching, Bowey has been bleeding shots against in the NHL for years. If someone in the organization sees anything salvageable in him, put in a claim, but I'm honestly not sure he's better than our top AHL D-men.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
My bad...it was a link from a blog site but looking at it now it is just a fan site (myhockeyrumours).

:oops:

On the surface I guess you can see the connection. That's all these guys do anyway IMO. Team A has a D that's not playing well/upcoming UFA/etc, look for teams that could possibly use a D and voila!

IMO, I'd rather a very strong defensive D (with good skating and puck moving), but I'd be interested depending on the price. He's got a very good contract, can play both sides, and is very good on the PP.

Not my first choice and I wouldn't move what their fans would want, but if there are not a lot of other options I would be interested. Obviously Buff's situation has to get resolved first.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know he has gotten flack for his play lately, but I mean he is playing for Detroit so that is hard to judge if it is on the individual or just the team being trash overall. Kind of like Pionk in New York last season. I'd say grab him, his cap hit isn't much ($1 million)

Apparently he was trash with Wash also.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Our patchwork D corps has performed quite a bit better than expected, in spite of having quit a few injury issues to work around.

We have 4 defencemen as pending UFA's; Kulikov, Beaulieu, Bitetto and Sbisa. All left hand shots. At least a couple of them are exceeding expectations. Assuming both Heinola and Samberg are regulars next year we still need a #6 and a #7. It is possible that those 2 spots will also be filled internally. Dahlstrom might be back as the #7 (or 8).

Or at least 1 of them could be filled with a UFA. We have seen what 3x4.3 mil got us 3 years earlier. I'm not sure I would want to go that route again.

I don't see us retaining Kulikov after this year unless his ask comes way down. It might come down that far, if no other team wants him very badly. Beaulieu is having a hard time staying healthy and his play has not been great when he is. Barely justifies his 1 mil salary so his number won't go up. Bitetto and Sbisa will be UFA's too, of course. Assuming they continue to play as well as they have so far, I think they will get raises next year. Not sure how much.

Assuming they are all available for ~1 mil(ish), how many and which ones should we re-sign next year?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Our patchwork D corps has performed quite a bit better than expected, in spite of having quit a few injury issues to work around.

We have 4 defencemen as pending UFA's; Kulikov, Beaulieu, Bitetto and Sbisa. All left hand shots. At least a couple of them are exceeding expectations. Assuming both Heinola and Samberg are regulars next year we still need a #6 and a #7. It is possible that those 2 spots will also be filled internally. Dahlstrom might be back as the #7 (or 8).

Or at least 1 of them could be filled with a UFA. We have seen what 3x4.3 mil got us 3 years earlier. I'm not sure I would want to go that route again.

I don't see us retaining Kulikov after this year unless his ask comes way down. It might come down that far, if no other team wants him very badly. Beaulieu is having a hard time staying healthy and his play has not been great when he is. Barely justifies his 1 mil salary so his number won't go up. Bitetto and Sbisa will be UFA's too, of course. Assuming they continue to play as well as they have so far, I think they will get raises next year. Not sure how much.

Assuming they are all available for ~1 mil(ish), how many and which ones should we re-sign next year?
Dahlstrom is signed for next year.

I won't be surprised if they jettison the rest of the UFAs. They have Samberg, Heinola, Niku and Stanley waiting in the wings.

I wonder if Sbisa might actually be above Beaulieu, Kulikov and Bitetto. It's a hunch, not a preference.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Dahlstrom is signed for next year.

I won't be surprised if they jettison the rest of the UFAs. They have Samberg, Heinola, Niku and Stanley waiting in the wings.

I wonder if Sbisa might actually be above Beaulieu, Kulikov and Bitetto. It's a hunch, not a preference.

Yup, I know. Dahlstrom doesn't have to stay with the Jets just because he is signed, but he could be. I'm assuming Samberg and Heinola. Niku and Stanley are possibles, but not probables, IMO. I doubt that Maurice would go with 4 rookies, regardless of how good they might be.

Bitetto has been a lot better than I expected. He still has been less than great when paired with Beaulieu. Sbisa has been the biggest surprise and I think he may be the most likely to be retained. That is assuming that he is able to keep it up and that none of the others passes him by in the meantime.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Good lord no to Kulikov. He's not worth league minimum.

Here are the UFA defensemen (max age: 31) coming up on July 1: Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Do we have Buff's money to spend? I think just about everyone is in play if we're willing to spend. Right handed: Tanev? Gudas? The higher end guys are probably going to be an overpay though. As you said, we don't want another Kulikov.

If the Jets are looking for cheap deals on the right side: Demelo's having a decent season in Ottawa. LaDue maybe? Holl? Joakim Ryan's name was mentioned last summer - he's a lefty...but decent and probably cheap.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good lord no to Kulikov. He's not worth league minimum.

Here are the UFA defensemen (max age: 31) coming up on July 1: Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Do we have Buff's money to spend? I think just about everyone is in play if we're willing to spend. Right handed: Tanev? Gudas? The higher end guys are probably going to be an overpay though. As you said, we don't want another Kulikov.

If the Jets are looking for cheap deals on the right side: Demelo's having a decent season in Ottawa. LaDue maybe? Holl? Joakim Ryan's name was mentioned last summer - he's a lefty...but decent and probably cheap.

:laugh: Kuli certainly isn't worth what we are paying him, but I think someone will give him league minimum and not be sorry they did.

A lot of those pending UFA's will extend with their current teams before July 1. I think most of the rest will cost more than they are worth other than the depth players in the 1 mil range. Other than possibly retaining 1 or 2 of our own, I'm hoping we avoid the UFA market.

I'm assuming that we have Buff's money next year, one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad