Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

I don't see much value in KV so far, so I doubt he would be of interest to any teams. He is having trouble just making the Jet's lineup. From what I've seen of him, and that's very little -- not to impressive.
I think it's awfully early to give up on him. Given the list of forwards he has to step up against to make the Jets lineup I don't find it remotely surprising that the Jets are taking it slow with KV. That doesn't mean they won't trade him but I don't think his playing in the minors at this point is devaluing him at all.

I do think at some point the Jets need to move out someone on the wing. Presumably not Connor, Ehlers, Laine.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He isn’t better than Stone or even as good imo. Stone returned one top prospect and a 1st.
Brannstrom was part of the return. That is beyond a top prospect for most contending teams, and very likely a future top pairing D-man. Yes you could probably get Hall for a 1st and a top 10 already drafted prospect. Problem is no contending team gives those up because they haven't had the opportunity to have recently gone through an expansion draft to obtain such a top prospect.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Brannstrom was part of the return. That is beyond a top prospect for most contending teams, and very likely a future top pairing D-man. Yes you could probably get Hall for a 1st and a top 10 already drafted prospect. Problem is no contending team gives those up because they haven't had the opportunity to have recently gone through an expansion draft to obtain such a top prospect.
So 1st and Frost from Philly is plenty.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I thought the big knock on him was that he isn't a great "in zone" defender at breaking up the cycle or covering net front and he gave up his own blueline to the attacking team almost every time with the Rangers so he ended up doing the things he isn't great at a lot.

Jets run a different system where we don't give up the blueline so his strengths in skating, puck retrieval and transition to offense are maximized while his Dzone defending is minimized. Potentially the same player just in a system that suits him much better.
Very interesting point(s). Very intuitive sharing. Thanx!

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
I wonder if Montreal continues to be bad we could pry Domi out of them. Vesalainen + Stanley?

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I wonder if Montreal continues to be bad we could pry Domi out of them. Vesalainen + Stanley?
ezgif.com-optimize.gif

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
We don't really have an injury thread but this seems like a good place for speculation as to what December could look like for the Jets.

By the sounds of it, some players aren't that far from return. Appleton and Niku within the week, Beaulieu and Bourque after that.

If Kulikov is down, Beaulieu probably steps into the top 4. If Niku can get healthy maybe he will get a look in December.

On the Moose Harkins and Suess are pushing for Gustafsson's spot. I still expect Gus to be loaned to team Sweden, it gives the opportunity for the Jets to evaluate other players, and gives him the opportunity to be a national hero.

Appleton coming back will give the 4th line a boost, and some more options for Maurice.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I only make a move if it is for a long term RD upgrade. If Jersey blows it up is Sverson available for say Vesalinen? Not sure who some other targets would be.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I only make a move if it is for a long term RD upgrade. If Jersey blows it up is Sverson available for say Vesalinen? Not sure who some other targets would be.

I don't think New Jersey would trade Severson for a forward, with the risk of losing both Vatanen and Greene at the end of the season. Would love to get Vatanen off the Devils, but they should be trying to get a 1st for him, or a blue chip prospect for him.

I think the Flames would consider Vesalainen for Hamonic, but I am not sure that the Jets are ready to give up on Vesalainen. He could provide an internal replacement to Perreault. Or in on Hamonic.

What I am wondering is what happens with Buff after his surgery. If he doesn't want to retire and doesn't want to play for the Jets either, what can Chevy do? What's Buff TD value? I mean would a team hungry for the playoffs like Buffalo consider trading Ristolainen for Buff? Buff would give the Sabres some identity, and some playoff experience. Ristolainen has an extra year of contract, could be a PP QB to replace Buff, and has a physical presence, if not the toughness. Furthermore he would fit the salary structure now based around Morrissey as the leader on defense.

How bad of a defense would Morrissey-Ristolainen, Kulikov-Pionk, Sbisa/Poolman/Beaulieu/Bitetto on the bottom pair, be, with Samberg a candidate to take Kulikov's spot too. And Niku in the mix. That's a deep enough defense in my mind.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
Go big or go home, hall and Sverson!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
would Jeff Petry command a 1st round pick at the TDL? 2 x 5.5M left on his deal so no real long-term commitment, RHD. Will be 32 in a week. fancy stats like him and has been a pretty efficient producer at 5v5 (p/60) the past 2 years. I am not fond of moving a 1st though

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
would Jeff Petry command a 1st round pick at the TDL? 2 x 5.5M left on his deal so no real long-term commitment, RHD. Will be 32 in a week. fancy stats like him and has been a pretty efficient producer at 5v5 (p/60) the past 2 years. I am not fond of moving a 1st though

I like Jeff Petry but I can't see the Habs moving him. Noah Juulsen hasn't really progressed, and the Habs have essentially a top 2 defense of Weber and Petry, and a lot of moveable parts. I'd say the Jets have better parts than the Habs on defense.

If they did move him would have to be for a defenseman. I mean I would do Petry for Niku. But Bergevin is on the hot seat. A lot of speculation that Carey Price will ask to be traded if this team isn't competitive. I expect Montreal to make a bad trade for a LD.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
No thanks to Risto...reminds me too much of Myers.

I think we have seen that our coaching staff can coach a player according to his abilities. Not sure Ristolainen wouldn't fit here as a top 3 defenseman. A lot of people thought Pionk would be a wash, but he's been exactly what we needed. It's hard to find a landing spot for Buff if we have to move him, because of cap space. He would surely get moved out of the conference. Tampa springs to mind. Maybe Philly. I really don't know though. Be better if we could convince the big guy to come back.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think we have seen that our coaching staff can coach a player according to his abilities. Not sure Ristolainen wouldn't fit here as a top 3 defenseman. A lot of people thought Pionk would be a wash, but he's been exactly what we needed. It's hard to find a landing spot for Buff if we have to move him, because of cap space. He would surely get moved out of the conference. Tampa springs to mind. Maybe Philly. I really don't know though. Be better if we could convince the big guy to come back.
If that were the case Niku would be up. No, he wants players to fit predefined roles.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think it's awfully early to give up on him. Given the list of forwards he has to step up against to make the Jets lineup I don't find it remotely surprising that the Jets are taking it slow with KV. That doesn't mean they won't trade him but I don't think his playing in the minors at this point is devaluing him at all.

I do think at some point the Jets need to move out someone on the wing. Presumably not Connor, Ehlers, Laine.

I feel like Chevy knows what he is doing. He has Vesalainen ELC protected. He probably does not need a top 9 forward until Perreault moves on, so that is a 2 year window. No reason to rush him. We have 3 3rd year prospects in Appleton, Harkins and Spacek that the organization needs to make a decision on. Harkins should get a look this year. Spacek too. Perhaps by next year the Jets have a 4th line of Vesalainen-Gustafsson/Harkins-Appleton. All internally developed.

We have a top 9 in place for 2 more years, and you can not say enough about growing as a team. Little could change the dynamic as he would push Perreault out, and if Bryan and Buff are not on the books, well that's $13 million to play with, some of which gets invested in a top 3 defenseman. Samberg probably gets $2.75 million to leave college and a year off his contract. Otherwise the pieces are in place. If they keep their #1, Jets probably draft a centre.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If that were the case Niku would be up. No, he wants players to fit predefined roles.

I don't think people take into context that Morrissey is injured. His predefined role would have been PK1. But now if you are trying to keep him healthy, as an important leader of the defense, then you have to find somebody to fill the role. A lot of hockey players make their living on opportunity. Sami hasn't found his yet, some is bad luck, some is timing. It took a lot of development to get Poolman to a point where the organization felt comfortable with him playing in important situations. Started sheltered like Niku. I think the Jets have it right, because defense, in a complex system, takes time to learn. Niku showed signs last year of being capable in bottom pairing minutes, he'll probably get a look in the top 4 at some point. I wouldn't lose hope.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I feel like Chevy knows what he is doing. He has Vesalainen ELC protected. He probably does not need a top 9 forward until Perreault moves on, so that is a 2 year window. No reason to rush him. We have 3 3rd year prospects in Appleton, Harkins and Spacek that the organization needs to make a decision on. Harkins should get a look this year. Spacek too. Perhaps by next year the Jets have a 4th line of Vesalainen-Gustafsson/Harkins-Appleton. All internally developed.

We have a top 9 in place for 2 more years, and you can not say enough about growing as a team. Little could change the dynamic as he would push Perreault out, and if Bryan and Buff are not on the books, well that's $13 million to play with, some of which gets invested in a top 3 defenseman. Samberg probably gets $2.75 million to leave college and a year off his contract. Otherwise the pieces are in place. If they keep their #1, Jets probably draft a centre.

Where does Little's contract go?

How does Samberg get 2.75 mil? ELC max is 925k.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
SEASONCLAUSECAP HIT
q2.svg
AAV
q2.svg
P. BONUSES
q2.svg
S. BONUSES
q2.svg
BASE SALARY
q2.svg
TOTAL SALARY
q2.svg
MINORS SALARY
q2.svg
2018-19 $880,833$2,854,166$920,000$92,500$700,000$792,500$70,000
2019-20 $880,833$2,854,166$2,500,000$92,500$832,500$925,000$70,000
2020-21 $880,833$2,854,166$2,500,000$92,500$832,500$925,000$70,000
TOTAL $2,642,499$8,562,498$5,920,000$277,500$2,365,000$2,642,500$210,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
P. BONUS DETAILS: 2018-19 Games Played Bonus: $25,000 (5 Playoff games) + $107,500 (10 Playoff games), Club 'B' Bonuses: $787,500 (Player wins Conn Smythe)

That's Cale Makar salary. I don't know what the PB are for this year, but I would say it is safe that he will hit some of them. I would expect Samberg to ask between what Makar gets and more than Fox, as a top college prospect.

Little I would assume LTIR. Unless he retires.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
SEASONCLAUSECAP HIT
q2.svg
AAV
q2.svg
P. BONUSES
q2.svg
S. BONUSES
q2.svg
BASE SALARY
q2.svg
TOTAL SALARY
q2.svg
MINORS SALARY
q2.svg
2018-19$880,833$2,854,166$920,000$92,500$700,000$792,500$70,000
2019-20$880,833$2,854,166$2,500,000$92,500$832,500$925,000$70,000
2020-21$880,833$2,854,166$2,500,000$92,500$832,500$925,000$70,000
TOTAL$2,642,499$8,562,498$5,920,000$277,500$2,365,000$2,642,500$210,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
P. BONUS DETAILS: 2018-19 Games Played Bonus: $25,000 (5 Playoff games) + $107,500 (10 Playoff games), Club 'B' Bonuses: $787,500 (Player wins Conn Smythe)

That's Cale Makar salary. I don't know what the PB are for this year, but I would say it is safe that he will hit some of them. I would expect Samberg to ask between what Makar gets and more than Fox, as a top college prospect.

Little I would assume LTIR. Unless he retires.
Agreed that Samberg gets nice performance bonuses in his deal to get his signature on the dotted line. Part of the benefit he gets by pushing his signing until after year 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->