Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
:laugh: Kuli certainly isn't worth what we are paying him, but I think someone will give him league minimum and not be sorry they did.

A lot of those pending UFA's will extend with their current teams before July 1. I think most of the rest will cost more than they are worth other than the depth players in the 1 mil range. Other than possibly retaining 1 or 2 of our own, I'm hoping we avoid the UFA market.

I'm assuming that we have Buff's money next year, one way or another.
If we don't have Buff's cap space, we have Buff. Either should be good to strengthen the D, along with Samberg and possibly Heinola.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
If we don't have Buff's cap space, we have Buff. Either should be good to strengthen the D, along with Samberg and possibly Heinola.
I really think the key to winning is not to spend big on D but on forwards much like the Pens did winning with scrubs on the back end. We had way too much money tied up on Ds last year. Next year I like the mix of the Jmo contract, some ELCs and some nice bargain deals like Pionk and Poolman. These guys aren’t scrubs either and just think of the money saved for the forwards. This seems like a nice unit going forward.

Morrissey Pionk
Heinola Samberg
Niku Poolman

We could slot Buff in or use his money to sign a guy for 3-4 million for the second pair.
Cheap vets in the press box and Stanley, Kovacevic, Gawanke filling the need down the road. One of those guys can hopefully be a regular in a couple years. I think we’re sitting pretty. Chevy ended up doing well in that Trouba deal not just on return but cap savings right now.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
If the Jets are looking for cheap deals on the right side: Demelo's having a decent season in Ottawa. LaDue maybe? Holl?
I like the idea of Holl. AFAIK, he is doing pretty well in Toronto on a league minimum deal. They really can't afford to offer him more, so if we just offer $1-1.5m AAV good chance, they can't match.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I really think the key to winning is not to spend big on D but on forwards much like the Pens did winning with scrubs on the back end. We had way too much money tied up on Ds last year. Next year I like the mix of the Jmo contract, some ELCs and some nice bargain deals like Pionk and Poolman. These guys aren’t scrubs either and just think of the money saved for the forwards. This seems like a nice unit going forward.

Morrissey Pionk
Heinola Samberg
Niku Poolman

We could slot Buff in or use his money to sign a guy for 3-4 million for the second pair.
Cheap vets in the press box and Stanley, Kovacevic, Gawanke filling the need down the road. One of those guys can hopefully be a regular in a couple years. I think we’re sitting pretty. Chevy ended up doing well in that Trouba deal not just on return but cap savings right now.

It all comes down to Goaltending. Pens had Fluery and a very hot Murray in their first of two B2B cup wins a few years back. That really helped prop up that weak D core.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Morrissey Pionk
Heinola Samberg
Niku Poolman

That was another team with great goaltending.

Another team that the 'numbers' didn't really believe in.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
That was another team with great goaltending.

Another team that the 'numbers' didn't really believe in.
I know our goalie will be that good too :D
And our Ds won’t be bad like that going forward but my point was not to tie up huge dollars back there in four guys.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think we have Buff next year. Just my gut feeling for how things have gone, but I think he has played his last game as a Jet. One way or another.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No but I wouldn't trade Morrissey for Pesce either.

And Canes fans wouldn't trade Pesce for Morrissey.

Rumour was they wanted Ehlers + for Pesce last off-season. Do you really think they would accept that offer?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No but I wouldn't trade Morrissey for Pesce either.

I wouldn't either but their values are in a similar tier. If you are structuring a trade I think Morrissey is a fair benchmark as a shot gun comparable. By that I mean what you pitch for Pesce you would be willing to take for Josh.

Reactions: KingBogo

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

Rumour was they wanted Ehlers + for Pesce last off-season. Do you really think they would accept that offer?

Pesce isn’t worth Ehlers. Pesce is a good #3. His team friendly deal ups his value a notch but so does Ehlers. I believe Chev would have flinched if the plus was on the other side.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pesce isn’t worth Ehlers. Pesce is a good #3. His team friendly deal ups his value a notch but so does Ehlers. I believe Chev would have flinched if the plus was on the other side.

I wouldn't have considered it myself. Just saying that is where Carolina thought the value of Pesce was.

Since then, they have moved Faulk so are presumably not looking to move a RHD. That only makes the price higher, if anything. The suggested offer was nowhere close.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

There was no rumor that it was Ehlers +. Unless we're talking about HF posters.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There was no rumor that it was Ehlers +. Unless we're talking about HF posters.

I wouldn't argue with that. I didn't say it was a rumour from a reliable source. I guess suggestion would be a better word than rumour. Point is the same though. KV plus a couple of lesser picks is not going to even start a discussion with Canes.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I like the idea of Holl. AFAIK, he is doing pretty well in Toronto on a league minimum deal. They really can't afford to offer him more, so if we just offer $1-1.5m AAV good chance, they can't match.
Minnesota guy. 6'4" 210 lbs. Right handed. As a UFA he can shop around though - wonder if he's got any connections here. Wheeler? They both played for the Gophers.

Reactions: hn777

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Why is there a need to do anything? I mean we are playing well right now, why expend assets when you don't have too? Why not wait till next year and see what you have with some of your young D? My guess is Samberg and Niku have really good shots at sticking next year. Heinola as well.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Why is there a need to do anything? I mean we are playing well right now, why expend assets when you don't have too? Why not wait till next year and see what you have with some of your young D? My guess is Samberg and Niku have really good shots at sticking next year. Heinola as well.
I don't see the Jets rolling with 3 rookie defensemen in the starting lineup...especially when two are smallish and offensive-minded. Biggish and unskilled is more our style... :laugh:

Reactions: hn777 and 10Ducky10

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I wouldn't have considered it myself. Just saying that is where Carolina thought the value of Pesce was.

Since then, they have moved Faulk so are presumably not looking to move a RHD. That only makes the price higher, if anything. The suggested offer was nowhere close.

yeah, I wouldn’t do it either. Ehlers is one of our most valuable players imo. Great zone entries, drawing penalties and dropping the gloves when needed :wg:. I’m in the camp that anyone is moveable, but only for the right price and Pesce isn’t it.
Besides, I think we have our own Pesce in the making in Samberg. I see similarities in Samberg’s game that reminds me of Pesce’s.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I would not spend significant asset this season to do anything either.

Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
[QUOTE="Gm0ney, post: 167717609, member: 135611"]I don't see the Jets rolling with 3 rookie defensemen in the starting lineup...especially when two are smallish and offensive-minded. Biggish and unskilled is more our style... :laugh:[/QUOTE]
I can't see them starting 3 rookies either. That is one reason I would like to see Niku in the league this year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
yeah, I wouldn’t do it either. Ehlers is one of our most valuable players imo. Great zone entries, drawing penalties and dropping the gloves when needed :wg:. I’m in the camp that anyone is moveable, but only for the right price and Pesce isn’t it.
Besides, I think we have our own Pesce in the making in Samberg. I see similarities in Samberg’s game that reminds me of Pesce’s.

I would run out and pay a high price for Pesce right now if he was available. I don't care about any similarity to Samberg. I would happily have a Pesce on each side if it develops that way. But that high price doesn't have Ehlers in it anywhere.

Roslovic, Niku, Vesalainen, Appleton, other Moose, picks, alone or in some combination could conceivable be in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad