Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Looking Ahead, Navigating a $81.5M Landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Don't be ridiculous. Neal was more impactful here regular season and playoffs than Lucic ever was outside of the '16-'17 regular season.
Also, look at the buyout details. That's another reason why the trade was made.

You want to have over 5 million in dead cap next year? And almost 4 million for the following 2 years? In a time when the cap is going to be flat over that time?

Buying out Neal would be inexcusable at this point. You probably have to package picks and send him somewhere.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Anyone saying dump them for nothing is crazy. Most people want to move them to bring in improvements though.

Unless we're talking about a top 10 guy in the league, I struggle to see that being anything but a marginal upgrade. If they could add another top 4 guy without moving any of the current group, that would be the way to go, but we just don't have the cap room to make a big swing.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If his back is that bad he’s likely unable to pass a physical. He might be done in professional hockey.

I don't know if it's recurring spasms or what but as someone who has suffered from them in the past, they're often not a gradual thing you feel coming on. It can feel great one day, the next you literally go to pull a sock on and it explodes and you can't move. I know because this has literally happened to me. The first time I ever had spasms, I was 17 working at a gas station and never had a back issue in my life. All I did was I bent my knees and leaned a bit to remove a gas cap off a little car and suddenly my back muscles locked.

You'd hate to see him go to Robidas Island as he's an effective dman but this is becoming a serious issue. My issue was deemed to be a degenerating disc in my lower back. I wonder if Larsson has the same thing.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nurse + JP + for Hamilton + Mrazek
Win Laf
Klefbom for Dumoulin
Larsson + for Brodin

Laf - McDavid - Archibald
RNH - Drai - Yamamoto
AA - Haas - Neal
Nygard - Khaira - Kassian

Dumoulin - Hamilton
Brodin - Bear
Jones - Benning

Mrazek
Koskinen

Easy peasy. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Macblender

May 5, 2014
In a bubble it's counter intuitive for sure. If we move Nurse for Ehlers we can maybe use a high pick + prospects to grab someone else
Might be able to....

We can't trade either without a guarantee that they are replaced. Otherwise it will be further who is the next guy who is being asked to be a #1 D who isn't. Oh crap our good #3 guy isn't a #1 lets trade his ass so we can feel better since he didn't live up to our misplaced expectations.

None of it really matters at the end of the day if our forwards don't play strong D and leave their guys (Kubalik series winner, half the goals in game 1, etc).

My point still stands people need to propose some viable alternative either as Klef + x for some realistic target. Or x + y for said target and then we move Klef for something or retain him to just have a stronger D. We need to do this while remember we have no forward depth or incoming forward prospects which would help facilitate a deal. So it is realistically Broberg + 1st + Puljujarvi and maybe more to get a solid D who fits our age range before considering cap.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
We need a #1.

1st overall is a great piece, but who is trading a #1 defenceman for it?

What would be offered for it is a young 3/4 like we have now, a lesser first, and some other picks and prospects.

A team like the Wild would maybe offer us Dumba, their 1st rounder, and Kunin for 1st and a dump. Does that make us better? Dumba isn't a 1. He's more of what we already have in the defensive zone.

Is there a chance Ottawa bites on 1OA+ for Chabot, or something along those lines?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You want to have over 5 million in dead cap next year? And almost 4 million for the following 2 years? In a time when the cap is going to be flat over that time?

Buying out Neal would be inexcusable at this point. You probably have to package picks and send him somewhere.

You're looking at Lucic's buyout. Neal's dead cap would be just under for $2M for the next 3 years. It would clear almost $4M cap space for the next 3 years while Lucic's buyout would have cleared virtually no cap space for Years 1 and 3 and less than $2M for Year 2.

Anyway, I'm not saying they should buyout Neal. I'm saying his contract is more buyout friendly, and he was a much better player for the Oilers regular season and playoffs than Lucic was in the last 2 years and in his playoff run.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
How about Ellis from Nashville? Poile might be looking to shake it up a bit seeing how they went down fairly easily yo the Coyotes.

38 points in just 49 games played...puts him ahead of any other Oilers D in points (with more games played than Ellis).

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't have actual trade proposals for these cause the specifics are lost on me right now. These "proposals" are the main return add picks and stuff or whatever I'm not doing that much work. If we win the lotto

Puljujarvi+ for Pesce (Carolina is loaded defensively)
Larsson to whoever for a pick or prospect.
Nurse to Toronto for like Kappnen+
Some picks and prospects for Ekholm?
Benning and Russell out for picks

Lafreniere - McDavid - Kappanen
RNH - Drai - Yamamoto

Ekholm - Pesce
Klefbom - Bear
Jones - Bouchard

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
You don't win with pucks going in off of skates every time you turn around or .880 or worse goaltending.

Klefbom had a tough game 1, I thought he was largely fine after that. I have... less positive things to say about Nurse.

I guess you missed the game tying sequence when we won the faceoff,, Klef gets it with room and ice to spare.. then blindly throws it up the ice into a crowded corner ...Chicago gets it,.. Klefboms man then goes behind the net beating Klefbom around the net to gain position.. Klefbom waves his stick at the guy, doesn't take the body, doesn't dive in front to stop the wrap around and doesn't show any desperate attempt to push the guy out of the way... just sort of skates behind the guy waving his stick at the guys hips ...wraparound in .. thats the game. demoralizing .. team sinks on the bench...we had full control with a 1 goal lead playing good hockey ...we win the faceoff.. yet still goal against.

dmen makes mistakes.. its common ... but Klefbom makes them at a much more alarming rate then your average dman.

Klefbom in a nutshell.

Get this goof out of here. This is just bad defensive hockey. You can't teach common sense.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
you’re not finding anyone that does what Klefbom does for Klefbom money. Flat out.
Of course not. You'll find someone who does better than Klefbom for Nurse money though. You do that and you slide down Klefbom to a second pairing role, give his PP time to a guy like Bouchard and overall you have a much more effective and healthy Klefbom.

Reactions: Macblender

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Of course not. You'll find someone who does better than Klefbom for Nurse money though. You do that and you slide down Klefbom to a second pairing role, give his PP time to a guy like Bouchard and overall you have a much more effective and healthy Klefbom.

Hey, I managed to get rid of all three of them in my proposal. Wholesale change. ;)

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Macblender

May 5, 2014
How about Ellis from Nashville? Poile might be looking to shake it up a bit seeing how they went down fairly easily yo the Coyotes.

38 points in just 49 games played...puts him ahead of any other Oilers D in points (with more games played than Ellis).
I like that idea or Ekholm. That is if NSH does want to shake it up and chase something on the open market.

However, I don't think those guys solve the D issue if one of Klef/Nurse is going the other direction.

Klef-Ellis
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Larsson
Benning-Bouchard

Would not be a terrible D core to roll into next year with if you could swing that.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I don't know if it's recurring spasms or what but as someone who has suffered from them in the past, they're often not a gradual thing you feel coming on. It can feel great one day, the next you literally go to pull a sock on and it explodes and you can't move. I know because this has literally happened to me. The first time I ever had spasms, I was 17 working at a gas station and never had a back issue in my life. All I did was I bent my knees and leaned a bit to remove a gas cap off a little car and suddenly my back muscles locked.

You'd hate to see him go to Robidas Island as he's an effective dman but this is becoming a serious issue. My issue was deemed to be a degenerating disc in my lower back. I wonder if Larsson has the same thing.

I got mine at a Keg party when in school. Tried pulling a full Keg out of the back of a truck. 25 years ago.

Ever since then, I have flare-ups that come up out of the blue 2-3 times a year. Lasts for a few days. Rest is the only cure. When it flares up, all I can do is lay on the floor.

Weights help. Middle back and lower back.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I like that idea or Ekholm. That is if NSH does want to shake it up and chase something on the open market.

However, I don't think those guys solve the D issue if one of Klef/Nurse is going the other direction.

Klef-Ellis
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Larsson
Benning-Bouchard

Would not be a terrible D core to roll into next year with if you could swing that.
You'd have to move out Larsson or Benning to have enough cap for Ellis but it is a clear improvements.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Any way to get rid of Neal without a buyout? We can't buy him out and have that much lost cap.

I still don't get that deal. He isn't more effective than Lucic, arguably worse, if you ignore the first 15 games of the season (which you should). Costs more and a lost 3rd rounder.

tenor.gif

Edit: My bad, forgot there is a poster with the same name on CP. Guess it must be a coincidence :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: gordonhught

Macblender

May 5, 2014
You'd have to move out Larsson or Benning to have enough cap for Ellis but it is a clear improvements.
For sure I moved out Russell and didn't bother considered where you get the extra $2M of cap from but that could be Benning alone. Or ideally Larsson could also be moved for a similarly priced forward to a team that needs D (example Toronto).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I guess you missed the game tying sequence when we won the faceoff,, Klef gets it with room and ice to spare.. then blindly throws it up the ice into a crowded corner ...Chicago gets it,.. Klefboms man then goes behind the net beating Klefbom around the net to gain position.. Klefbom waves his stick at the guy, doesn't take the body, doesn't dive in front to stop the wrap around and doesn't show any desperate attempt to push the guy out of the way... just sort of skates behind the guy waving his stick at the guys hips ...wraparound in .. thats the game. demoralizing .. team sinks on the bench...we had full control with a 1 goal lead playing good hockey ...we win the faceoff.. yet still goal against.

dmen makes mistakes.. its common ... but Klefbom makes them at a much more alarming rate then your average dman.

Klefbom in a nutshell.

Get this goof out of here. This is just bad defensive hockey. You can't teach common sense.

The winger (Athanasiou) totally abandoned the wall and he didn’t have an outlet, what do you want him to do there?

again, you’re absolutely dead wrong and not much of a hockey fan if you just want your best defenceman “outta here”

Reactions: Little Fury

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I got mine at a Keg party when in school. Tried pulling a full Keg out of the back of a truck. 25 years ago.

Ever since then, I have flare-ups that come up out of the blue 2-3 times a year. Lasts for a few days. Rest is the only cure. When it flares up, all I can do is lay on the floor.

Weights help. Middle back and lower back.

It's like I'm looking in a mirror-lol. At least you have a better story than mine. Fully agree on the weights, since I've strengthened my back the occurrences are much less. It gets stiff but doesn't spasm. Haven't had a case of full out spasms where I'm in my bed and can't even wiggle a toe without being in agony in about 10 years. Just gave to be careful with it, which can't be said for a professional hockey player. One body check, one cross check or wrong twist taking a shot and that's all it takes.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
For sure I moved out Russell and didn't bother considered where you get the extra $2M of cap from but that could be Benning alone. Or ideally Larsson could also be moved for a similarly priced forward to a team that needs D (example Toronto).

Hopefully 3/4 of Larsson,Green,Russell,Benning are not back.... would be ok if all 4 are gone, Think 2/3 of Kassian,Neal or Chaisson should be moved as well

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The winger (Athanasiou) totally abandoned the wall and he didn’t have an outlet, what do you want him to do there?

again, you’re absolutely dead wrong and not much of a hockey fan if you just want your best defenceman “outta here”
Klefbom doesn't need to go but he is incredibly overplayed and unless he gets a legit #3 or better defensemen with him, he is definitely over his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese