Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Looking Ahead, Navigating a $81.5M Landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Okay. So we wait to develop a #1 d than? Goodbye to McDavid and Draisaitl then because by the time that happens their contracts will be done.

Even if that is the plan we need an improvement on the defense period. 2 of Larsson, Nurse and Klefbom need to be replaced with guys who can actually use their brains more often than not
Odds are that this team will never have a #1 Dman unless we develop one internally. The same thing is repeated every off-season.

Reactions: MessierII

Macblender

May 5, 2014
The winger (Athanasiou) totally abandoned the wall and he didn’t have an outlet, what do you want him to do there?

again, you’re absolutely dead wrong and not much of a hockey fan if you just want your best defenceman “outta here”

People need to go watch that goal again Kris Russell reaches with his stick and scores on his own net the puck would have been sent into the slot instead it was an own goal.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The winger (Athanasiou) totally abandoned the wall and he didn’t have an outlet, what do you want him to do there?

again, you’re absolutely dead wrong and not much of a hockey fan if you just want your best defenceman “outta here”

Goof defenseman recognize an issue, recover, find alternate routes, hang on to the puck, skate it out, protect the puck.

understanding the nuances of the game is a requirement of a number 1 dman..Klefbom is a number 4...tops on a good team. He shouldn't be anywhere near a top 3 role. Too many warts in his game defensively.

our best defenseman ....:biglaugh:

Yes I am a hockey fan. That's why I recognize Klefbom isn't what this team needs. Perhaps you should analyze more closely too ? instead of just brushing aside the obvious..

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
It's like I'm looking in a mirror-lol. At least you have a better story than mine. Fully agree on the weights, since I've strengthened my back the occurrences are much less. It gets stiff but doesn't spasm. Haven't had a case of full out spasms where I'm in my bed and can't even wiggle a toe without being in agony in about 10 years. Just gave to be careful with it, which can't be said for a professional hockey player. One body check, one cross check or wrong twist taking a shot and that's all it takes.

If his back hurts like mine hurts (when it flares up) then I don't hold it against him for sitting out.

Makes it hard to be productive when you play a physical sport for a living. If he has a ongoing back problem, that could drastically shorten his career.

Mike Bossy comes to mind when thinking NHL back injuries and the impact it can have on a career.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Klefbom doesn't need to go but he is incredibly overplayed and unless he gets a legit #3 or better defensemen with him, he is definitely over his head.
This is an issue with misplaced expectations honestly. People have to realize his isn't a #1 so dont hold him to that standard as he is playing with a mediocre partner most of the time and we are expecting greatness. We need to supplement Klef not replace IMO.

Nurse I am more willing to move on from especially as he was trying to demand 7M on a longer term deal. We can replace his effectiveness for cheaper in my opinion.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
People need to go watch that goal again Kris Russell reaches with his stick and scores on his own net the puck would have been sent into the slot instead it was an own goal.

Four major errors on that play:

1. AA not covering the boards

2. Klefbom not reversing it to a wide open Russell and then being weak AF on Saad

3. Russell tipping it into his own net

4. Koskinen WAY overcommitting to the shot and being slow as shit to the other post on the wraparound attempt

If any ONE of those things don't happen, the Hawks don't score.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
you’re not finding anyone that does what Klefbom does for Klefbom money. Flat out.

Definitely. I'm not beholden to keeping Klefbom long-term (one of him and Nurse probably needs to be out), but $4.2m per year is fantastic value. Issue is that he's a 3 being asked to be a 1, and he'll never be that. So regardless of his value for money, the team won't take the next step until we have another D that is better than him, or we end up doing it by committee with multiple Klefbom-level d-men in our top 4.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At the end of the day. Klefbom is a second pairing D, getting paid like one and is expected to play elite #1 minutes. Nurse is a second pairing d wanting to be paid like a top pairing d and performs like an average #4.

Reactions: Macblender

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Hopefully 3/4 of Larsson,Green,Russell,Benning are not back.... would be ok if all 4 are gone, Think 2/3 of Kassian,Neal or Chaisson should be moved as well

Larsson should be moved. He only has a year left on his deal and maybe he can return something reasonable.

Russell can be upgraded (his cap hit is too much). Benning I would keep. Green is not coming back. He may retire.

I would keep Neal and Chiasson this year at least. If 2/3 of your fourth line is Neal and Chiasson, then that is OK by me.

Kassian can go - I hate the way he played the last half of the year. If he is not playing physical then he does not add much. Problem is that you probably can't move him now. If Holland can move him, then he should right away. However, if Kassian returns to play like he did before the new contract, then I would keep him. Big if.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Goof defenseman recognize an issue, recover, find alternate routes, hang on to the puck, skate it out, protect the puck.

understanding the nuances of the game is a requirement of a number 1 dman..

our best defenseman ....:biglaugh:

Yes I am a hockey fan. That's why I recognize Klefbom isn't what this team needs. Perhaps you should analyze more closely too ? instead of just brushing aside the obvious..

Cherry-picking is not a particularly useful way to do a macro analysis especially on a play where the goalie went wandering out of his crease after giving up a fat rebound instead of resetting and making a simple push across and teh other D man actually poked the puck in.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Macblender

May 5, 2014

2. Klefbom not reversing it to a wide open Russell

4. Koskinen WAY overcommitting to the shot and being slow as shit to the other post on the wraparound attempt

If that is the case then I ask is it fair that certain individuals be blamed for the purposes of a narrative. Honestly this series had more own goals (including self delfections) than any 4 game stretch this year.

All I am asking is that people consider how poorly other elements of our team performed as well and recognize if you get 9 penalties a game (exaggerating here) and the forwards don't play defense of course our D are going to look bad.

Of course I want improvement on D and at 3c and wing as well but we need to be additive rather than sell our best pieces emotionally.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

2. Klefbom not reversing it to a wide open Russell and then being weak AF on Saad

Klefbom's decision was the worst

clean face-off win for Drai and instead of making a calm play he rims it to NO ONE
indicative of his play all series

just braindead

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If that is the case then I ask is it fair that certain individuals be blamed for the purposes of a narrative. Honestly this series had more own goals (including self delfections) than any 4 game stretch this year.

All I am asking is that people consider how poorly other elements of our team performed as well and recognize if you get 9 penalties a game (exaggerating here) and the forwards don't play defense of course our D are going to look bad.

Of course I want improvement on D and at 3c and wing as well but we need to be additive rather than sell our best pieces emotionally.
We can't quite just add we have to remove as well to afford it. If we find a new good left d, Nurse or Klefbom have to go...financially Nurse has to. Sending Larsson away may actually be addition by subtraction at this point

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Objectively, Klefbom played like crap all series. This is coming from a fan of his.

Worse is that Nurse challenged him for "worst D" all series long.

Reactions: MessierII

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Larsson should be moved. He only has a year left on his deal and maybe he can return something reasonable.

Russell can be upgraded (his cap hit is too much). Benning I would keep. Green is not coming back. He may retire.

I would keep Neal and Chiasson this year at least. If 2/3 of your fourth line is Neal and Chiasson, then that is OK by me.

Kassian can go - I hate the way he played the last half of the year. If he is not playing physical then he does not add much. Problem is that you probably can't move him now. If Holland can move him, then he should right away. However, if Kassian returns to play like he did before the new contract, then I would keep him. Big if.

I keep saying these 5 need to be changed or severely disrupted for a positive impact next season:

Klefbom
Nurse
Third line offensive Punch
Drop Bear out of the top 4
Trade/sign a legit top 2 defensive stalwart

last one easier said then done.. but use a first round pick if we don't win the lottery as a trade bait.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Objectively, Klefbom played like crap all series. This is coming from a fan of his.

Worse is that Nurse challenged him for "worst D" all series long.
Not going to disagree but a 4 game sample is not really something I am willing to make such a rash decision over especially with other elements in play.

Which is why I am holding to if they sre moved a definitive upgrade needs to be coming back and we can't play the what if game of trade them for something and hope we can land a better replacement.

Reactions: The Nuge

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Klefbom's decision was the worst

clean face-off win for Drai and instead of making a calm play he rims it to NO ONE
indicative of his play all series

just braindead

If I had to rank the severity/degree of errors on that play from most egregious to least:

Klefbom = Koskinen
AA
Russell

Russell was the only one who was actually positioned properly moving from the face-off. Then he was the only one who was actually close to making a play on the puck carrier, it was just shit luck that he deflected it into his own net.

AA didn't cover the boards, but realistically three bad things had to happen after that for the goal.

Klefbom makes not one, but two errors. Doesn't calm down and reverse it to Russell with space and time. Then he gets beat by Saad outside, which leads to Koskinen overplaying the shot.

Koskinen was ass on the play as well. Overplays a shot from a player on his backhand, then doesn't get to the far post in time. Channelled the worst of Oilers Talbot on that one.

Last edited:

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

The events leading up to this goal tell the tale of the whole series. I say the loss to Chicago was meant to be. That is the worst 4 consecutive games of hockey played by the team this season. McDavid, Drai and RNH got points, but were on for too many goals against. Just not a good playoff by anyone.

I don't even feel that bad about the loss.

Sometimes things just go so crazy wrong that you might as well just move along. Forget about trying to analyze what happened and try to fix it.

Reactions: Cloned

Macblender

May 5, 2014
We can't quite just add we have to remove as well to afford it. If we find a new good left d, Nurse or Klefbom have to go...financially Nurse has to. Sending Larsson away may actually be addition by subtraction at this point
Russell is 4M of cap as well as Larsson we realistically have one internal replacement in Bouchard or Jones for the bottom pairing to play with Benning.

In this instance if we are able to acquire a D man for 1st + Pulju + Cap (Larsson?) for an Ellis or Ekholm we would pretty in a decent spot cap wise. I don't think Russell is too hard to move with 1.5M in actual salary.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I keep saying these 5 need to be changed or severely disrupted for a positive impact next season:

Klefbom
Nurse
Third line offensive Punch
Drop Bear out of the top 4
Trade/sign a legit top 2 defensive stalwart

last one easier said then done.. but use a first round pick if we don't win the lottery as a trade bait.

If you can make a good hockey trade and improve the team by trading Klefbom and Larsson, then I would do that in a minute. We have seen the best of Klefbom. I don't think he improves anymore.

Nurse I would keep. I would continue with him and Bear in the top 4.

I like AA, Kassian, and a player to be named later as the third line. Hopefully a decent centre who can win faceoffs.

I would draft the best D-man you can with the 2020 first rounder. Trading for a stalwart will be hard.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
If you can make a good hockey trade and improve the team by trading Klefbom and Larsson, then I would do that in a minute. We have seen the best of Klefbom. I don't think he improves anymore.

Nurse I would keep. I would continue with him and Bear in the top 4.

I like AA, Kassian, and a player to be named later as the third line. Hopefully a decent centre who can win faceoffs.

I would draft the best D-man you can with the 2020 first rounder. Trading for a stalwart will be hard.

I would say someone like Joel Edmundson from Carolina, who is absolutely a brick wall helps solidify a more defensive game from the back end. Less mistakes, turnovers means better results. Not top 2 but def a solid cost effective top 4. Then try your hand at Krug ? is that even a possibility ?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Even Draisaitl misplayed it. It was a perfect example of why it's not always the defenseman's fault when the team fails to make a safe zone exit. Forwards need to be in the right position.

Odds are if AA goes to where he's supposed to, Keith vacates the zone and AA either tips it out or makes a touch pass to Draisaitl exiting the zone. It was a simple play off of a faceoff win that resulted in Chicago's tying goal.

Poor execution was the reason why we didn't beat the lower ranked team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macblender

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I would say someone like Joel Edmundson from Carolina, who is absolutely a brick wall helps solidify a more defensive game from the back end. Less mistakes, turnovers means better results. Not top 2 but def a solid cost effective top 4. Then try your hand at Krug ? is that even a possibility ?

Solid choice. What dollars do you pay him. UFA and 27? Upgrade over Russell.

Not sure about Krug. He will want big money and you have Bouchard coming on. I might stay away from big money free agents. They never seem to work out (Pouliot, Lucic, Sekera, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad