Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Looking Ahead, Navigating a $81.5M Landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Your hot take is to stick with status quo...that's not a very smart idea.. in comparison to what I'm suggesting. I'm not a GM... there are several defenseman that can be looked at as a real improvement defensively...who bring better defensive attributes to the blue line. Klefboms 35 points a season are easily replaceable as a unit. You guys are just looking at that 4 million contract and are too enamoured to leave it alone.

Yeah Petry was easily replaced by Gilbert who was easily replaced by Schultz and so on and on. You can't handwave away the fact you need to replace two top 4 D men with better players like it's NBD. If it were easy, we would have done it already.

And BTW I've made it clear I'm not in favour of the status quo. I think you need to move on from Russell and probably Larsson and Benning to give the young guys some reps, but your plan is to throw them into the deep end with literally no cover unless we do something we've been unable to do in 15 years and acquire a #1D for pocket change.

In comparison..guys like Chris Tanev in Vancouver...or Joel Edmundson, Pietroangelo(pipedream) blow Klefboms defensive game out of the water and still provide a little bit of offense. It makes the team better. Bouchard, Bear, and eventually Broberg are all capable of replacing some of Klefboms offense playing in limited PP roles.

Again: those guys aren't replaceable until they are actually replaced. Nothing you suggest here is remotely realistic at this point.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Funny that someone mentioned Chris Tanev and suggested he provides offense. Look at his career stats. In 10 NHL seasons he's managed to hit the net under 400 times. He averages less than 40 shots on goal per season.

He is perhaps the most one dimensional defenseman in the entire league. It's difficult for players like this to look effective on teams that are poor at generating consistent offense. He certainly doesn't do much to contribute in that regard.

Reactions: Oilhawks

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
We need to graduate our Bako rookies

give Bouchard and Benson a spot until they prove they can’t handle it

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yep. He's no good to the team sitting on IR. Not good to have both of your minute munching D-men out injured half the year or more (combined). This is why I have no issue with dealing Larsson away. Possibly Klefbom too.
If his back is that bad he’s likely unable to pass a physical. He might be done in professional hockey.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Guess I’ve got a different view but to me this series really showed that Larsson still has value and a role here. He was bad in Game 1 and I won’t try to argue that, but it really showed how much he was missed in Games 3 and 4. He’s got his limitations no question, but you know he’d be making life hell for those guys who kept getting the tips in front of the net and giving it to a guy like Dach. I really feel it’s a different result if he plays Games 3 and 4.

I think you need a guy like Larsson to win in the playoffs. I just feel that the pairing of Klefbom - Larsson isnt cutting it. I think one of those guys has to be a puck mover. Neither guy can really move the puck good enough. Both of them have injury histories though. Unfortunately for Larsson, he just doesnt seem reliable enough (because I do like the player). I think I would rather keep both for next season just so were not throwing Jones/Bouchard into the deep end right at the beginning. I think another season gives Holland an idea on whos the more valuable piece, and probably gives Broberg/other prospects more time to see where there at.

Reactions: BarDownBobo

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
If you’re comfortable with retaining either Klefbom or Nurse, you’re nuts.

Look at the players who actually looked hungry during the playoffs. It definitely wasn’t those two. We’ve had the same issues with both of them for years now. One of them needs to go.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
and how do you feel about giving up RNH+Broberg for a player of Hamilton's caliber?
I'd feel good about it. The thing though is. Adam Fox wasn't signing with either team so his value doesn't really matter. It would of been closer to RNH and Marino

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009

Look at the players who actually looked hungry during the playoffs. It definitely wasn’t those two. We’ve had the same issues with both of them for years now. One of them needs to go.

They both need to go or keep Klefbom and play him down the lineup (of course that depends on getting someone better). He isn’t a top pairing d man.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah Petry was easily replaced by Gilbert who was easily replaced by Schultz and so on and on. You can't handwave away the fact you need to replace two top 4 D men with better players like it's NBD. If it were easy, we would have done it already.

And BTW I've made it clear I'm not in favour of the status quo. I think you need to move on from Russell and probably Larsson and Benning to give the young guys some reps, but your plan is to throw them into the deep end with literally no cover unless we do something we've been unable to do in 15 years and acquire a #1D for pocket change.

Again: those guys aren't replaceable until they are actually replaced. Nothing you suggest here is remotely realistic at this point.
The thing with moving Benning and Russell is that our bottom pairing isn't costing us games. Improving our bottom pairing really doesn't improve the team all that much. The issue lies with our top 4. Bear helped but Nurse, Klefbom and Larsson are proven to not get it done. No one is saying just throw those guys away either

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If the Jets win the lotto, I'd dangle Nurse or Larsson for Ehlers.

Larsson? Come on, why would the Jets bother with that?
Also, who plays defense for the Oilers in this scenario? If you say Broberg or Bouchard could take those tough minutes, I might just rage a little bit.

I'm all for the Oilers dealing any of the Dmen but what's the point if they aren't improving the already shaky defense?
Package Klefbom or Nurse+1st (14th or 15th overall)+ for a real live Dman who can anchor a top pairing. Who that is I have no idea but any other type of trade seems kind of pointless or is arranging deck chairs at the very best.

Macblender

May 5, 2014

What is our D without them? I get that half of the people want to find a scape goat but what does moving on from our best dmen do to a hurting defense already.

Sure they didn't have the best playoffs but our d without them is:

Jones-Bear
Russell-Larsson
Lagesson-Bouchard
Broberg-Benning

Full stop what you suggest is extremely risky and before you tell me we are signing Pietrangelo or trading Nurse++ for a number 1 guy recognize those guys don't get traded and if they align with our cores age they for sure don't.

Edit: Also consider how unstructured and undisciplined our forwards played and the impact it had on how the D looked. This isn't a sole issue with a segment of the team the entire team performed terribly on the defensive side of the puck.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They both need to go or keep Klefbom and play him down the lineup (of course that depends on getting someone better). He isn’t a top pairing d man.
I think logically you move Nurse and keep Klefbom on the second line. Klefbom at least is budget friendly for 3 more season, Nurse is already over priced and has only a year left.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Were you watching the same series as us ? Klefboms performance was mind boggling. He was getting clowned all over the ice. Same for Nurse. You dont win with Klefboms in your top 4.

You don't win with pucks going in off of skates every time you turn around or .880 or worse goaltending.

Klefbom had a tough game 1, I thought he was largely fine after that. I have... less positive things to say about Nurse.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What is our D without them? I get that half of the people want to find a scape goat but what does moving on from our best dmen do to a hurting defense already.

Sure they didn't have the best playoffs but our d without them is:

Jones-Bear
Russell-Larsson
Lagesson-Bouchard
Broberg-Benning

Full stop what you suggest is extremely risky and before you tell me we are signing Pietrangelo or trading Nurse++ for a number 1 guy recognize those guys don't get traded and if they align with our cores age they for sure don't.

Edit: Also consider how unstructured and undisciplined our forwards played and the impact it had on how the D looked. This isn't a sole issue with a segment of the team the entire team performed terribly on the defensive side of the puck.
Hamilton, Subban, Jones, Trouba, Karlsson are all better than all of our defenders and were traded in the last 5 years. Bullshit that they aren't ever traded.

We had a bottom 5 defense in the league...again. we need new blood for your score. Other internally or externally. When you have as bad of a defense as ours you need to do SOMETHING. this insanity of keeping the same d, getting the same results and constantly doing it again and again and hoping it's coaching or something else is baffling.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Exactly, Subban as well. Seth Jones has been dealt

You make a list of probably 10 top pairing D traded in the past 5-7 years

Legit top pairing D (like far superior than what the Oilers currently have?). Who?

Ok, Hamilton, Jones, Trouba, Karlsson and Subban as mentioned above.

Hamilton struggled in Calgary relative to what he is now, that's why he was available and there was apparently some off the ice issues going back to Boston.
Jones was dealt when he was well down the depth chart in Nashville and Johansen was very highly regarded at the time.
Subban was dealt for a #1 Dman and as a salary dump the 2nd time.
Trouba only wanted to play in New York and I'm convinced that he's all that good.
Karlsson was damaged goods, aging and a pending UFA.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You don't win with pucks going in off of skates every time you turn around or .880 or worse goaltending.

Klefbom had a tough game 1, I thought he was largely fine after that. I have... less positive things to say about Nurse.
You also don't win with defense that can't move the puck worth a damn, rarely has dangerous shots and aren't usable by your forwards in the cycle because they are inefficient at it. When Matt Benning has the best shot for your defense, that's an issue.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I think you need a guy like Larsson to win in the playoffs. I just feel that the pairing of Klefbom - Larsson isnt cutting it. I think one of those guys has to be a puck mover. Neither guy can really move the puck good enough. Both of them have injury histories though. Unfortunately for Larsson, he just doesnt seem reliable enough (because I do like the player). I think I would rather keep both for next season just so were not throwing Jones/Bouchard into the deep end right at the beginning. I think another season gives Holland an idea on whos the more valuable piece, and probably gives Broberg/other prospects more time to see where there at.
I’m with you here for sure. The best usage of Larsson would probably be paired with Jones this coming season and then be moved to be Brobergs partner down the road. Taking his minutes down a bit would probably help with the wear and tear as well. The issue becomes who do you pair with Klefbom then, and there’s no real good answer to that. It’s ridiculously unlikely but I hope Holland pokes around Florida this offseason to see what’s up on the low low chance that they’d consider moving Ekblad. It’s super super unlikely but with a new GM who knows what direction he might want to take the team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You also don't win with defense that can't move the puck worth a damn, rarely has dangerous shots and aren't usable by your forwards in the cycle because they are inefficient at it. When Matt Benning has the best shot for your defense, that's an issue.

You don't even need hard shots anymore, you need guys that can get it on net. Look at that Werenski goal last night, he barely put anything on it, but it was on target. Most of our guys can't even manage that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad