Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Looking Ahead, Navigating a $81.5M Landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Last season only McDavid, Drai, Benning, Russell/Sekera were 50% or better, depth was the issue last year too.

2018 McDavid, Nurse, RNH, Maroon, Benning, Larsson, Pakarinen (!)

2017 when we made playoffs: Everyone was over 50% except RNH at tough mins, Hendricks, Pouliot, Gryba and Desharnais

Depth that can perform at 5v5 seems to matter.

Weren't they still better 2018 5v5? If you combine even that with our special teams now you have likely a very solid team. Tippet needs to figure this out.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think the Oilers are winning squat with their current 5v5 play, which isn't McDavid or Draisaitl's fault for the most part.

Yamamoto 68% 5v5 GF, RNH 57%, Draisaitl 52%, McDavid 51%, Benning/Kassian/Chiasson/Caleb Jones also over 50%

Nobody else. That's ungood.

So depth needed? Absolutely.

Goalies? Koskinen showed some potential at least and you can't move him anyways, but someone better than Smith has to challenge him.

D likely needs a reworking and might be the hardest part.

Because of the PP, they score enough goals but need to grab more possession and fix the backend/net. If Oilers forechecked more and created a cycle on Hawks D like Vegas is about to, we wouldn't have lost even with defensive issues.
Performance at 5v5 is a statistic that undoubtedly has a lot of underlying factors. Unless you're talking about a clear play driver, I wouldn't put a ton of weight into the guys who are likely along for the ride like Benning/Kassian/Chiasson/Jones.

As a team the Oilers absolutely need to improve at 5v5, but when it comes to the scoring lines specifically, a massive part of that is going to rely specifically on how Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl's games continue to develop. Those lines will always live and die by how their pivots choose to play IMO.

Putting out a third line that can outscore would be a big help to improving the team's overall output at 5v5. How do you do that?

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Performance at 5v5 is a statistic that undoubtedly has a lot of underlying factors. Unless you're talking about a clear play driver, I wouldn't put a ton of weight into the guys who are likely along for the ride like Benning/Kassian/Chiasson/Jones.

As a team the Oilers absolutely need to improve at 5v5, but when it comes to the scoring lines specifically, a massive part of that is going to rely specifically on how Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl's games continue to develop. Those lines will always love and die by how their pivots choose to play IMO.

Putting out a third line that can outscore would be a big help to improving the team's overall output at 5v5. How do you do that?

Agreed on most of your points, up to Ken Holland, that's his job.

I'd like to have wingers though that aren't from the scrap heap pile that employ more of a two-way game. One thing we're missing largely that other teams have in bunches. RNH/Yamamoto is a start but Kassian was invisible, Ennis is a UFA coming off a major leg injury now, AA is an enigma that we may have to commit to right away...I don't know.

space321

May 11, 2011
Is Ehlers available? He'd be a good fit on Mcdavid's wing. I'd trade our 14th pick for Ehlers + 2nd tbh. Maybe just straight up.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
So it looks like the Oilers will have 10 million of cap space this offseason.

We have to sign Bear, a goalie and a third line Center .

As well as figure out what to do with Athanasiou.
B352F0B1-2F22-4E4C-8C55-355260992636.jpeg

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I want our Mike Green pick back. :(

Yeah, that one sucks. At least Ennis was decent and AA is TBD.

Also, PSA:

I lost my like privileges for the next 45-60 days, so those that have come to expect my likes for your great, insightful posts, you know why.

Edit: I find it odd that they take away your 'like' privileges, you'd think they would take away the ability of your posts to be liked instead. I guess the reasoning would be that poster might be using 'likes' in a 'trolling' manner.

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Like I said in the other thread:

Keep Klefbom. Trade Nurse.

Klefbom at his best is better than Nurse. Plus he’s going to be a lot cheaper moving forward.

For trade bait, Nurse > Larsson > Benning > Jones > Klefbom > Bear/Bouchard/Broberg

Reactions: mullet

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I dont think a top line winger is our biggest need....McDavid just does his own thing and scores. We need depth that can actually contribute 5v5 and we need a change on the D end.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just roll

Athansiou McDavid Kassian
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto

This is what Tippett should have done and let the McDavid line work through their growing pains from the trade deadline onwards instead we were moving Athansiou and Ennis all over the lineup way too much just for regular season.

Eventually the McDavid line will start to score.

If not you know what may not be the worst idea in the world. Bring back Patrick Maroon for cheap. Maroon reads well off McDavid, better than Kassian, and Athansiou provides speed so the line isn't slow.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I dont think a top line winger is our biggest need....McDavid just does his own thing and scores. We need depth that can actually contribute 5v5 and we need a change on the D end.
It's just the whole reason the DRY line was broken up was because we didnt have someone for McDavid. AA was a nice try but didnt pan out. So, we must try again.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Just roll

Athansiou McDavid Kassian
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto

This is what Tippett should have done and let the McDavid line work through their growing pains from the trade deadline onwards instead we were moving Athansiou and Ennis all over the lineup way too much just for regular season.

Eventually the McDavid line will start to score.

If not you know what may not be the worst idea in the world. Bring back Patrick Maroon for cheap. Maroon reads well off McDavid, better than Kassian, and Athansiou provides speed so the line isn't slow.

The one good game I saw from AA was in the play in round (I believe it was game 2). He looked to have very good chemistry with Kassian on the 3rd line. If they are both on the team come training camp I would like to see them on the same line and that could very well be with McDavid if we can't bring in any wingers. So I agree, that is how I would have the top 6 if nothing changes.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Ya, I think you can get a cheap enough winger to compliment McD. Realize he gets quite a few of his points on the pp.

I think the D is the thing that needs to be fixed. We have too many average D getting paid quite a bit, Nurse, Larsson, Klef. I feel like we need to move 2/3 and replace them with Bouchard and Broberg. Then go out and get a actual top dman.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Ya, I think you can get a cheap enough winger to compliment McD. Realize he gets quite a few of his points on the pp.

I think the D is the thing that needs to be fixed. We have too many average D getting paid quite a bit, Nurse, Larsson, Klef. I feel like we need to move 2/3 and replace them with Bouchard and Broberg. Then go out and get a actual top dman.

I don't think Broberg is close to being ready from what I saw in the exhibition game, the speed is there but this guy will need an entire year in the AHL easily. He wasn't even playing big minutes in the SHL and there's a lot to work on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

You're not putting Bouchard and Broberg in the lineup next season on top of Bear and Jones, that's just crazy. That's way too young and not enough sheltering for inexperienced D, it's just asking for trouble.

Nurse/Klefbom/Larsson may be redundant in the long term sure, but for now I don't see how you can dump them unless you get a direct comparable player who's equal or better in return and isn't 31+ years old.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I dont see an option to upgrade the d on the high end. Just bring in Jones and Bouchard as full timers. See if we can develop what we need.

To make room, trade D. That opens up a lot. We could look for a great winger instead of diving in the bargain bin. Or maybe another goalie. We are actually blessed in assets. We just got use trades to balance the team

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
The team considers Darnell Nurse as core, McDavid and him are close, I'm sorry but even if it's the right move there's no way Ken is moving him today...maybe once his contract becomes more of a problem. It's not going to happen.

So let's be realistic.

Left side next year SHOULD be Klefbom, Nurse, Caleb Jones. Kris Russell has a year left, might be sticking around due to his salary but I'd look around to move him anyways with Lagesson around.

It's the RIGHT SIDE that will need attention and has the flexibility to change. Bear will be there, but what else? Benning played well in playoffs but is an expensive bottom pair guy. Larsson's back means what for his trade value and what for us? Is Evan Bouchard ready? Is Holland going to feel bad about wasting a pick and bring Mike Green back? All interesting questions.

I think we need a right side add.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kapanen for Athansiou might be something both teams are open to.

They're basically a similar player but for whatever reason this last year never was able to get it going.

Reactions: mullet

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kapanen for Athansiou might be something both teams are open to.

They're basically a similar player but for whatever reason this last year never was able to get it going.

I would keep Athanasiou for now. I think that he will be hungry for next season and he easily had his best games as an Oiler against Chicago. If we want to add Kapanen maybe use one of our defenseman in trade instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad