Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Looking Ahead, Navigating a $81.5M Landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Solid choice. What dollars do you pay him. UFA and 27? Upgrade over Russell.

Not sure about Krug. He will want big money and you have Bouchard coming on. I might stay away from big money free agents. They never seem to work out (Pouliot, Lucic, Sekera, etc.)

He's making $3.1M now, I can't imagine he takes less than $4M. If you can dump Russell for him, great, but you don't move top 4 guys out to bring in a guy like that.

Reactions: gordonhught

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Troll away

Krug - Larsson/Tanev
Edmundson - Bear
Bouchard - Russell

Solid core by commitee
These guys will make tons less mistakes, and just provide more common sense and all seem to be very coachable and play hard nosed hockey

Nurse Gone for a solid 3rd line centreman - Max Domi
Klefbom Gone to free up salary ~ 4 million free
Neal offloaded- ~ 5 million free
Athanasiou- just not a good fit.

The following Year Broberg makes his debut, then you replace Russell, or make a big splash for a legit star Dman to make a cup run

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Troll away

Krug - Larsson/Tanev
Edmundson - Bear
Bouchard - Russell

Solid core by commitee
These guys will make tons less mistakes, and just provide more common sense and all seem to be very coachable and play hard nosed hockey

How much are you paying Krug?
Nurse for a 3C is a waste of an asset.
Where'd Klef go and what did you get back?
How did you magically make Neal disappear?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Troll away

Krug - Larsson/Tanev
Edmundson - Bear
Bouchard - Russell

Solid core by commitee

The following Year Broberg makes his debut, then you replace Russell, or make a big splash for a legit star Dman to make a cup run

This is a god-awful plan.

you punted two guys off the team that are top four defenceman, kept a guy that shouldn't be in the top four on the top PAIRING in Larsson, have Bouchard and Russell on their off sides, traded a top pairing defenceman in Klefbom for absolutely nothing and spent god knows how much on Krug.

No. Just no. This has no basis in reality.

Reactions: Little Fury

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Nevermind that Domi is MUCH better suited on the wing and lost his centre spot to Nick Suzuki this year.

Trades Nurse and Klefbom for Domi and NOTHING, keeps Larsson and Russell. I'm not sure if I could do worse if I tried.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Troll away

Krug - Larsson/Tanev
Edmundson - Bear
Bouchard - Russell

Solid core by commitee

I dont know about this ...

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Trading Nurse for Domi is not waisting any assets. Domi isn't a Slouch. He is capable of effectively playing centre and also talented enough to cover in the top 6 and is also young. He is gritty and plays with intensity.
Klef could go for picks to free up salary 1st rounder perhaps ?
Neal- I'm making hypothetical suggestions , Neal can go for any number of reasons and scenarios,

at the end of the day I'm just putting out a scenario where if cards are played right we could end up with a much better backend which is prone to a lot less mistakes. If you have a positive suggestion or scenarios in line with this please do give them.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'm so mad Florida canned Tallon before we could fob Russell off on them. Russell for the negotiating rights to Haula was my off season wish.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Nevermind that Domi is MUCH better suited on the wing and lost his centre spot to Nick Suzuki this year.

Trades Nurse and Klefbom for Domi and NOTHING, keeps Larsson and Russell. I'm not sure if I could do worse if I tried.

ruffled some feathers....calm down there tiger. Take a breather.

Here I will make it better for you

we keep ONE of Nurse/Klefbom ?? :laugh:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Trading Nurse for Domi is not waisting any assets. Domi isn't a Slouch. He is capable of effectively playing centre and also talented enough to cover in the top and is also young. He is gritty and plays with intensity.

Klef could go for picks to free up salary 1st rounder perhaps ?

So you're trading two top 4 D men away for a guy who is playing on the fourth line in a mediocre Habs team and some magic beans. Terrible.

at the end of the day I'm just putting out a scenario where if cards are played right we could end up with a much better backend. If you have a positive suggestion or scenarios in line with this please do give them.

Well for starters, I would not make teh D worse as you have in this scenario.

The fact is there's no way we see the blueline get overhauled like that when the glaring holes are up front and in goal.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
So you're trading two top 4 D men away for a guy who is playing on the fourth line in a mediocre Habs team and some magic beans. Terrible.

Well for starters, I would not make teh D worse as you have in this scenario.

logic is not being used when you automatically assume Domi is a 4th liner because currently doesn't fit with how Montreal has built its team moving forward. Has he been on the out in Montreal - definitely. Has he proven himself to a very effective NHL player. Yes. Does he need a fresh start ? That's pretty much a given.

upload_2020-8-10_15-5-50.png

I would easily make one of Nurse OR Klefbom available to acquire Domi.

He could potentially be absolutely dynamite with McDavid on the top line if things dont work on the third line.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
logic is not being used when you automatically assume Domi is a 4th liner because currently doesn't fit with how Montreal has built its team moving forward. Has he been on the out in Montreal - definitely. Has he proven himself to a very effective NHL player. Yes. Does he need a fresh start ? That's pretty much a given.

That's what, two fresh starts this kid has needed in five years? Bit of a red flag, no?

I'm not trading a top 4 D man for a guy who was had for Alex Galcheneyuk last time out. Set the bar higher.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
That's what, two fresh starts this kid has needed in five years? Bit of a red flag, no?

I'm not trading a top 4 D man for a guy who was had for Alex Galcheneyuk last time out. Set the bar higher.

If you want to set the bar higher, go all out for Pietrangelo. But you would need to dump a few million off that capspace to make it work.

You still need to dump someone like Klefbom or trade Nurse and get rid of Larsson. Would AP want to come here ?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

If you want to set the bar higher, go all out for Pietrangelo. But you would need to dump a few million off that capspace to make it work.

You still need to dump someone like Klefbom or trade Nurse and get rid of Larsson. Would AP want to come here ?

This is a 50 win team with McDrai and a decent defensive unit, the reason they don't approach those numbers is because the defensive unit is less then average.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

This is a 50 win team with McDrai and a decent defensive unit, the reason they don't approach those numbers is because the defensive unit is less then average.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Definitely not down for diminishing the defense for the opportunity to pay another forward $6m+ long-term. If Montreal is in the Hall sweepstakes, I have no doubt Domi would be on the market, but we're definitely not in a position where we should be a buyer there.

Now Galchenyuk is a player that I would have time for if Guerin lets him walk. He's a really skilled forward still in his mid-20s and can play anywhere throughout the lineup. His downward trending production probably limits him to a manageable cap number and a shorter term.

Not the star forward people are aiming for, but a hell of a lot less risky than the total overhauls that some are suggesting.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Definitely not down for diminishing the defense for the opportunity to pay another forward $6m+ long-term. If Montreal is in the Hall sweepstakes, I have no doubt Domi would be on the market, but we're definitely not in a position where we should be a buyer there.

Now Galchenyuk is a player that I would have time for if Guerin lets him walk. He's a really skilled forward still in his mid-20s and can play anywhere throughout the lineup. His downward trending production probably limits him to a manageable cap number and a shorter term.

Not the star forward people are aiming for, but a hell of a lot less risky than the total overhauls that some are suggesting.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm ok with simply keeping the roster mostly as is. The fact is the team did improve a lot last year and I don't care what some random ass tournament after 4 1/2 months off says.

Making vast changes on the basis of a 5 game series played under such conditions is absurd, while discounting the prior 70 regular season games is ridiculous.

Yes I would like to upgrade on defence, but d-corps are generally built over time through good drafting and development, not by taking short cuts. We saw that first hand when Chiarelli tried to short cut his way by doing the Hall-Larsson deal and it didn't work for the long term.

The main point of focus I think should be the 1B goalie, they should target Jarry hard from Pittsburgh. Koskinen is not bad, but he needs to be pushed.

Reactions: YakDavid

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I'm ok with simply keeping the roster mostly as is. The fact is the team did improve a lot last year and I don't care what some random ass tournament after 4 1/2 months off says.

Making vast changes on the basis of a 5 game series played under such conditions is absurd, while discounting the prior 70 regular season games is ridiculous.

Yes I would like to upgrade on defence, but d-corps are generally built over time through good drafting and development, not by taking short cuts. We saw that first hand when Chiarelli tried to short cut his way by doing the Hall-Larsson deal and it didn't work for the long term.

The main point of focus I think should be the 1B goalie, they should target Jarry hard from Pittsburgh. Koskinen is not bad, but he needs to be pushed.

Yup. And to the bolded, before that with the Reinhart trade.

Reasonable to-do list for the offseason:

Low end top 9 2 way forward Connor Brown type. Low cost acquisition and AAV
3C
Younger 1B

To accomplish you shouldn't have to give up much in the way of assets, maybe a pick here or there and ditch one of Russell or Larsson for cap reasons. If Nurse is traded it's for a top 6 two way winger with at least a couple years term.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I don't think the Oilers are winning squat with their current 5v5 play, which isn't McDavid or Draisaitl's fault for the most part.

Yamamoto 68% 5v5 GF, RNH 57%, Draisaitl 52%, McDavid 51%, Benning/Kassian/Chiasson/Caleb Jones also over 50%

Nobody else. That's ungood.

So depth needed? Absolutely.

Goalies? Koskinen showed some potential at least and you can't move him anyways, but someone better than Smith has to challenge him.

D likely needs a reworking and might be the hardest part.

Because of the PP, they score enough goals but need to grab more possession and fix the backend/net. If Oilers forechecked more and created a cycle on Hawks D like Vegas is about to, we wouldn't have lost even with defensive issues.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010

I agree. Holland will explore the options out there. Panicking right now will be worse than Pistol Pete since the cap is set to be flat for three years. One thing I would like is looking at goaltending before circling back to Smith.

Reactions: Macblender

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree. Holland will explore the options out there. Panicking right now will be worse than Pistol Pete since the cap is set to be flat for three years. One thing I would like is looking at goaltending before circling back to Smith.

I know people are upset over the crapshoot playoff round but really what is there to panic about exactly?

Team overall had a very good season, you can't account for a freaking global pandemic shutting down the league for 4 1/2 months and then base everything on a 5 game play-in round where the other team is playing loose and free because they're because playing with house money (had little/no chance at a playoff spot to a coin flip chance).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think the Oilers are winning squat with their current 5v5 play, which isn't McDavid or Draisaitl's fault for the most part.

Yamamoto 68% 5v5 GF, RNH 57%, Draisaitl 52%, McDavid 51%, Benning/Kassian/Chiasson/Caleb Jones also over 50%

Nobody else. That's ungood.

So depth needed? Absolutely.

Goalies? Koskinen showed some potential at least and you can't move him anyways, but someone better than Smith has to challenge him.

D likely needs a reworking and might be the hardest part.

Because of the PP, they score enough goals but need to grab more possession and fix the backend/net. If Oilers forechecked more and created a cycle on Hawks D like Vegas is about to, we wouldn't have lost even with defensive issues.

This is more for Tippet to figure out I think. The fact is the team was able to be decent 5v5 with McLellan with a similar roster, so what exactly is so different?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
This is more for Tippet to figure out I think. The fact is the team was able to be decent 5v5 with McLellan with a similar roster, so what exactly is so different?

Last season only McDavid, Drai, Benning, Russell/Sekera were 50% or better, depth was the issue last year too.

2018 McDavid, Nurse, RNH, Maroon, Benning, Larsson, Pakarinen (!)

2017 when we made playoffs: Everyone was over 50% except RNH at tough mins, Hendricks, Pouliot, Gryba and Desharnais

Depth that can perform at 5v5 seems to matter.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I know people are upset over the crapshoot playoff round but really what is there to panic about exactly?

Team overall had a very good season, you can't account for a freaking global pandemic shutting down the league for 4 1/2 months and then base everything on a 5 game play-in round where the other team is playing loose and free because they're because playing with house money (had little/no chance at a playoff spot to a coin flip chance).
Exactly. I like the pieces that Holland added. We will see players push in camp next year too. Have Bouchard and Broberg coming up. and have competition. Depth scoring is an issue but isn't impossible to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->