Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Doubt RNH has that kind of value.

Hoffman is overrated too I'd pass on that.

RNH does not, but adding a 5-8 overall pick in the draft would be quite appealing to the Rangers or Coyotes. I agree Hoffman might not be the best target, and would prefer a winger with more of a two way game to help out McDavid. Krieder would be ideal IMO.

Klefbom + 1st + Strome for Krieder and Zibanejad. RNH for Faulk. That would address our needs.

Considering how screwed up our cap situation is, trading a top 10 pick, a potential impact player on an ELC, should be the last thing we're doing. I wouldn't mind trying to go for a player like McDonagh/OEL, but if we don't have the assets to pry them away, we shouldn't bend over backwards to do so.

The key word there is potential. Puljujarvi has only one more year on his ELC and has yet to make the impact we all thought he would be capable of. If we win one of the top 3 lotto spots and can draft Dahlin or Boquist I'd keep the pick. Otherwise I hope the Oilers look to deal it with some salary attached (RNH/Klefbom/Sekera) to upgrade. It would have to be for someone who was locked up at a reasonable rate and fit long term like that Klefbom/Strome/1st for Zibanejad/Krieder deal proposed above though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What should this team do next, honestly. Move Maroon or Letestu, Fire everyone, Only let Chiarelli move Letestu and Maroon (or not even that), What does this team do next?

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Something has to give on the teams LHD. Sekera, Nurse, Klefbom, Russell(can play the right, kind of), Davidson, Auvito, Lowe plus Jones, Samorukov, coming up. What RHD would be available? Is Letang able to be had? The injury history and cap hit aren't great, but it sure would be nice to have a top pairing RHD.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I’m not sure who I’d prefer between OEL and McDonagh. Granted, I don’t watch the Rangers often and OEL would probably cost more but is one significantly better than the other?

Alternatively, if theres a reasonable price, I’d love to see Karlsson on our team. It honestly depends on how cheap Melnyk is, but I’d look hard at anything that didn’t involve Draisaitl or Nurse. I’d even be willing to add Pulju to the package purely from the fact a player like Karlsson is much harder to find.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
I’m not sure who I’d prefer between OEL and McDonagh. Granted, I don’t watch the Rangers often and OEL would probably cost more but is one significantly better than the other?

Alternatively, if theres a reasonable price, I’d love to see Karlsson on our team. It honestly depends on how cheap Melnyk is, but I’d look hard at anything that didn’t involve Draisaitl or Nurse. I’d even be willing to add Pulju to the package purely from the fact a player like Karlsson is much harder to find.

Karlsson would be awesome. I honestly didn't think there would be any chance he would be moved, but after seeing how cheap Melnyk is, I think there is a chance. I'd start with Klefbom in a package as I think they would be very interested in a top 4 young D signed long term do a decent cap.
OEL and McDonagh would be nice as well.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I see lots of OEL and McDonaugh suggestions. They are good but they pale in comparison to Karlsson.

Karlsson is the best offensive dman of this generation. His PP ability is just lethal. And his long bomb transition passes would probably spring McDavid and company on numerous Breakaways and open up the ice for everyone. And if the pass isn’t available EK can carry the puck himself. His performance last year in the playoffs on one ankle was legendary. He carried that Sens team to the ECF. That was the best performance I’ve seen from a dman since Pronger in 2006.

He checks off everything we’ve needed and still need. And best of all, he likely will become available because I just can’t see him want to stay with that franchise (Ottawa) long term. All the signs point to him leaving.

If we have a shot, we need to get him. He’s going to rebound next year back to his old self. He did after the Cook incident. He will again because his hockey sense is generational and he’ll adjust to whatever he needs to, to dominate.

Also didn’t he get married this past offseason? Maybe with the injury and not being able to train and him being focused on getting married led to a bad offseason training regimen. I’d bank on him getting back on track this summer and returning to his dominant self (especially with a contract year coming up)

Reactions: Aerrol

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I see lots of OEL and McDonaugh suggestions. They are good but they pale in comparison to Karlsson.

Karlsson is the best offensive dman of this generation. His PP ability is just lethal. And his long bomb transition passes would probably spring McDavid and company on numerous Breakaways and open up the ice for everyone. And if the pass isn’t available EK can carry the puck himself. His performance last year in the playoffs on one ankle was legendary. He carried that Sens team to the ECF. That was the best performance I’ve seen from a dman since Pronger in 2006.

He checks off everything we’ve needed and still need. And best of all, he likely will become available because I just can’t see him want to stay with that franchise (Ottawa) long term. All the signs point to him leaving.

If we have a shot, we need to get him. He’s going to rebound next year back to his old self. He did after the Cook incident. He will again because his hockey sense is generational and he’ll adjust to whatever he needs to, to dominate.

Also didn’t he get married this past offseason? Maybe with the injury and not being able to train and him being focused on getting married led to a bad offseason training regimen. I’d bank on him getting back on track this summer and returning to his dominant self (especially with a contract year coming up)

Yea honestly Karlsson is one of if not my favorite player not on the Oilers. I’d be ecstatic if we got him. Of course, we gotta be careful with his foot problems, so hopefully our org does it’s due diligence in checking up on that, but we’re kidding ourselves if we think he would just fall out of the sky into our lap if there was no risk on the deal.

Karlsson + McDavid would be a treat for the entire league to watch.

Yes he did get married this offseason, and had the injury to take care of as well. And he’s still leading the Sens in assists in a season that’s been even more disappointing for them than us.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I've seen lots of McDonagh from when the Capitals would play the Rags in the postseason. McDonagh-Girardi pairing was Ovi's kryptonite. I think him and Larsson would make a good pairing, as much as I'd like McDonagh, I just don't see us being on his NTC list lol. Same goes with EK, I can't see him wanting to come here at all, maybe if that freak of nature teen from Sweden lands in our hands.

Why is there no discussion on bringing DeBrusk home? I certainly wouldn't mind, bring McAvoy along too while we're at it! :naughty:

Too much NHL 18...

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
What should this team do next, honestly. Move Maroon or Letestu, Fire everyone, Only let Chiarelli move Letestu and Maroon (or not even that), What does this team do next?

Our pending UFA's need to be moved out. That's about it for now, any bigger deals won't happen until the draft (if any happen at all). I'm still holding out hope we can get Maroon signed to a decent contract rather than move him.

I still think McLellan needs to go. He's too loyal to his BFF's that run our disasterous special teams to fire them. Oilers will probably keep him though, cuz Oilers.

Chiarelli has total control, I know the vast majority of people will shudder at that thought but it's true.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not to alarm anyone, but Adam Larsson is not listed on the stats page of the Oilers site or the roster.

Makes me wonder if we'll see him back this year.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Not to alarm anyone, but Adam Larsson is not listed on the stats page of the Oilers site or the roster.

Makes me wonder if we'll see him back this year.

What are the cap implications in a situation like this? Not that it matters anyways. Let's just hope he's doing ok.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
If your best case scenario is that they'd maybe be in 9th place ... lol this team isn't ready. They are still rebuilding whether they want to admit it or not. By gutting the previous rebuild they are a team with no depth whatsoever and a crap pool of prospects to go with it.

This team is two good players and a bunch of mediocrity/average junk.
That wasn't the best case scenario it was a realistic worse case scenario if the specials teams (especially) weren't absolute junk. Pittsburgh was 2 good players and they continually made the playoffs before they added the likes Kessel and would have actually been a dangerous team if their goaltender wasn't horrible in the playoffs. Guess what you take away the 2 best players from literally any team in the league and outlook is grim. Drai is probably gonna put up the same ppg this year as is Connor and RNH has been way better this year than last year when you know they actually made the playoffs. There is being negative and annoyed with the current state (me) and than there are people like you who have to blow everything WAYYYYYYY out of proportion as if it somehow makes you feel better inside. How does the season look if our start wasn't so putrid due to the pp inability to score and the pks inability to stop a goal. We lost like 4 games in a row at the beginning of the season because of the special teams the Oilers were outplaying everyone minus Carolina 5 on 5.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I'm guessing because it's a lost season and he has to be both devastated and banged up they probably said just come back fresh for camp. No point rushing him now.
I think you're probably right, it's just odd that they would take him off the roster though. I think we might hear something tomorrow morning about Larsson.

Reactions: McDaddy

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
The Sens have placed Chris DiDomenico on waivers, seen him in a few games, kid's got talent, Wat u think?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Chia lands Karlsson and doesn't have to give up Draisatl or the 2018 1st for him I'd hail him as a national hero.

But of course that trade isn't happening.

Oh and re-sign him to a sub $10m contract.

So basically you're giving him impossible odds of winning you over. Barring another injury in which his play dips even more, you won't get him signed for under $10 million AAV.

I'm guessing because it's a lost season and he has to be both devastated and banged up they probably said just come back fresh for camp. No point rushing him now.

That would be a nice gesture by the team. Hopefully the guys are in constant contact with him.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
Just shut down Larsson, Sekera, Klefbom and RNH for the season. Let some of the kids in the AHL get some NHL experience now.

Is there anyone in the AHL that really deserves to be up for a some of the time being? Like I don't really see any of our forward prospects except for Rattie maybe or defensive prospects really being worthy of getting a call up at the moment. I don't disagree with shutting down players that are injured because this season is lost.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
My uncle Daryl partied with Wayne and crew back in the 80's, says he heard Oilers are looking at Phaneuf, says we are going to trade Patty Maroon for him but it's conditional on him signing there first. Take it with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad