Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Ottawa won't trade Karlsson and if they do I can't see them wanting to take on a ton of salary.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Salary doesn't work going forward. the Oilers don't have $5-6 M in space to make that happen.

More trades would need to happen. At least 1 LHD would need to be moved out due to the logjam that would still be there, plus Karlsson playing huge minutes.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
You don't just get the player though. You get the person as well.

The non complaining OEL is probably a better team guy to have than a D who leaked contract concerns during a season and with the suggestion that he wouldn't be back which pretty much deep-sixed any motivation the Sens club had this season. OEL has been playing in an winnable environment and has been a consummate pro and bringing topflight effort. A good case could be made that OEL is better team player, and that Karson is better on the ice. But I want the better team player.

If the Sens are going to tank their season just because one player says he wants to be paid fair value for what he brings to the organization, then that's more an indictment on them than him.

In regards to OEL, sure he's not really complained but he's also not in a Canadian market and has never carried his team to Game 7 of the ECF. The lack of talent that the Sens have surrounded Karlsson with is honestly ridiculous, and it sucks that a talent like him is being wasted just because Melnyk doesn't want to spend to the cap. If Karlsson wants to be paid what he's deserved, good on him IMO. I fail to see how contract talks between him and the Sens ownership has anything to do with what kind of person he is.

Reactions: nabob

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If they are wanting to cut costs, I doubt they want Nuge.
Well Nuge is a player who would have more value to the team then Ryan, Klefbom and Benning are cheap replacements on the blueline. Plus, they could always move out Pageau or others more easily with Nuge as depth ahead of them.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yes they do. Let Maroon go and they have 7 mil this summer to cover next years rookie bonuses and do what they want...

Including Nurse extension and replacements for Strome, Letestu, Cammalari etc?

let's see what that looks like.

Lucic (6)-McDavid(12.5)-Puljujarvi (3.425)
?-Drai (8.5)-Ryan (5)
?-Kharia (675K)-Kassian (1.9)
?-?-?

Karlsson (10)-Larsson (4.1)
Nurse (3.25)-Sekera (5.5)
Russell (4)-?

Talbot (4.1)
montoya (1)

I've made a couple of assumptions here (Nurse signing to a bridge deal and Karlsson settling for $10M, every ? indicates a replacement-level player making ~$1M a year). That roster with a bare bones forward core and a top heavy D comes in at around $76M, which gives them between $3-5M in cap space. It could be more, but I doubt it would be less.

So I guess they could make it work but my god, that's ugly.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
All trades must consider that we have 8 years of Connor after this year.
Hoffman is 28 years old, Nugent Hopkins is 24, Oilers cannot do that deal for that reason alone.
Staying young is our only chance.
Man this sucks, having a GM like Chia is like sitting in the back seat while the driver is obviously drunk. I just know he is going to lose another trade, one more lost trade and this team's chances fade even further. I can only hope that Chia no longer has full control over trades, they now must be vetted by Wayne and a few other of these advisors, I hope...

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
All trades must consider that we have 8 years of Connor after this year.
Hoffman is 28 years old, Nugent Hopkins is 24, Oilers cannot do that deal for that reason alone.
Staying young is our only chance.
Man this sucks, having a GM like Chia is like sitting in the back seat while the driver is obviously drunk. I just know he is going to lose another trade, one more lost trade and this team's chances fade even further. I can only hope that Chia no longer has full control over trades, they now must be vetted by Wayne and a few other of these advisors, I hope...
I don't understand why they haven't moved RNH to the wing and let him get good at it. Become versatile like Drai

Reactions: Consultant

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

?-Drai (8.5)-Ryan (5)
?-?-?

Russell (4)-?

Talbot (4.1)
montoya (1)

I've made a couple of assumptions here (Nurse signing to a bridge deal and Karlsson settling for $10M, every ? indicates a replacement-level player making ~$1M a year). That roster with a bare bones forward core and a top heavy D comes in at around $76M, which gives them between $3-5M in cap space. It could be more, but I doubt it would be less.

If you think JP is going to make 3.25 I have some really good Florida land to sell you. Right on the water! ;)

They have 3 RFA forwards and 2 RFA d-men not named Nurse. They are currently at 61mil.

Edmonton Oilers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Strome =2.5 Caguila =1 mil Slepy= 1 mil Davidson= 1.5 mil Benning= 1 mil

That takes them to 68 mil. Cap is expected to be 81 mil. That leaves 13 mil. Sign Nurse to bridge = 3 mil or long term=4

That leaves nine to ten million. Sign two fourth liners (Letestu, Camalleri= 2 mil total)

That leaves seven to eight million left over. The cap jumping really helped the Oilers.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You don't shut down Sekera. You let him play through it (after his face heals) while the games don't matter. He needs NHL speed games to get his mental confidence back in his knee after ACL reconstruction. Remember Ryan Smyth sucking for a year after his surgery?

I think Sekera came back to early. ACL recovery is a long road.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If you think JP is going to make 3.25 I have some really good Florida land to sell you. Right on the water! ;)

They have 3 RFA forwards and 2 RFA d-men not named Nurse. They are currently at 61mil.

Edmonton Oilers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Strome =2.5 Caguila =1 mil Slepy= 1 mil Davidson= 1.5 mil Benning= 1 mil

That takes them to 68 mil. Cap is expected to be 81 mil. That leaves 13 mil. Sign Nurse to bridge = 3 mil or long term=4

That leaves nine to ten million. Sign two fourth liners (Letestu, Camalleri= 2 mil total)

That leaves seven to eight million left over. The cap jumping really helped the Oilers.

Wait: your premise is that they'll re-sign all their RFAs for exactly the same as what they are making now? I think that's, uh, a bit flawed. Oh and Benning was included in the trade proposal , but let's say his replacement is making the same.

Oh yeah and we both forgot to include the Pouliot buyout his, so knock another $1.3M off. Let's take another look using your numbers.,

Lucic (6)-McDavid(12.5)-Puljujarvi (1)
Slepy(1)-Drai (8.5)-Ryan (5)
Strome(2.5)-Kharia (675K)-Kassian (1.9)
Cagguila (1)-UFA (1)-UFA (1)

Nurse (3)-Sekera (5.5)
Russell (4)-Davidson (1.5)
UFA (1)

Talbot (4.1)
montoya (1)

Pouliot buyout : 1.3

So with the most charitable of assumptions regarding RFA raises, UFA salaries, Karlsson extension and Puljujarvi bonuses, this team is sitting at...$76M on a (extremely generous ) $81M cap, which is right where I had therm pegged in the first place.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
I hate this time of year
Yup. Meaningless games in February. I'll just be skipping through the recordings of the games from here on out looking for anything remotely entertaining to watch. The positive is, I'm gonna save a tonne of money on playoff tickets this year:nod:

Verdadplus

Sep 29, 2017
Nothing matters until Chiarelli is fired first.
Nothing.

No one can have any confidence that he would ever improve this situation.
He is an abject incompetent.

Until he extricates the Oilers from Lucic and Russell who would ever give him another chance.

Reactions: Consultant

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Nothing matters until Chiarelli is fired first.
Nothing.

No one can have any confidence that he would ever improve this situation.
He is an abject incompetent.

Until he extricates the Oilers from Lucic and Russell who would ever give him another chance.
Sounds like you're close to checking out then.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Ottawa won't trade Karlsson and if they do I can't see them wanting to take on a ton of salary.

On the flip side, if Karlsson sees that team trending downwards and Melnyk won't move off his internal cap to build or restore a competitive team, why would he re-sign if he's not going to get what he wants on the market or from a team that will open up the vault for his services. Ottawa will not lose him for nothing and Karlsson already publicly stated he's going to get what he's worth. Of course he had to backtrack a few days later with the "I love it here and want to stay blah blah blah" talk that we hear out of every single pro athlete's mouths but too late, it's out there and it was said. I don't believe what he said was taken out of context either. Karlsson is very fluent in English so nothing was lost in translation. Imagine the meltdown this board would suffer if McDavid said that or similar to that.

I would not be trading for Karlsson at all unless you get permission to talk to his agent about a contract extension and it's followed up with a sign and trade deal. Melnyk is going to want cost controlled options so if you can escape without giving up Nurse:

One of Klefbom or Larsson
One of the d-prospects Bear or Jones
Puljujarvi (I don't want to trade him at all but for Karlsson...I can part with him)
Conditional 2018 1st. The condition is the pick is lottery pick protected for the top 5 spots in the draft. If the Oilers pick falls somewhere between 1 & 5, 2019 1st round pick goes to Ottawa unprotected. If it's 1-5 you can take another d prospect or one of the touted RWs.

Overpay...underpay? I hate making trade suggestions lol.

Edit: Hell, I'd make it protected from 1-3 if that's what it took Ottawa to bite. They would have two shots at two top 5 picks (their own and if the Oilers picked at 4 or 5).

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Wait: your premise is that they'll re-sign all their RFAs for exactly the same as what they are making now? I think that's, uh, a bit flawed. Oh and Benning was included in the trade proposal , but let's say his replacement is making the same.

Oh yeah and we both forgot to include the Pouliot buyout his, so knock another $1.3M off. Let's take another look using your numbers.,

Nurse (3)-Sekera (5.5)
UFA (1)

Talbot (4.1)
montoya (1)

So with the most charitable of assumptions regarding RFA raises, UFA salaries, Karlsson extension and Puljujarvi bonuses, this team is sitting at...$76M on a (extremely generous ) $81M cap, which is right where I had therm pegged in the first place.

Karlsson's extension is the following year. For next year he would be at $6.5M which takes $3.5M off your total. That said I don't see how adding Ryan makes this more attractive for the Oilers and Klefbom, Nuge, Benning and Yamamoto is way to much for Karlsson.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I think Sekera came back to early. ACL recovery is a long road.

It is a long road when it comes to ACL recovery, but it's the psychological part that makes it take that long, allowing yourself to trust your knee again. The physical recovery I think is there for Sekera.

IMO the real issue for him was nothing more complicated than trying to come back mid-season when everyone's running at full tilt, while he's not even had a training camp to get up to speed. It'd be like jumping onto a running treadmill and trying to not fall flat on your face...not impossible, but definitely not easy.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

?-Drai (8.5)-Ryan (5)
?-?-?

Russell (4)-?

Talbot (4.1)
montoya (1)

Nurse (3)-Sekera (5.5)
UFA (1)

Talbot (4.1)
montoya (1)

There are small raises for some. Do you really think any of them deserve raises? You qualify them and if they don't accept see ya or go to arbitration.. They are all just marginal/scrubs anyway. I've shown you the numbers.

I obviously didn't include Karlsson in my numbers (it is 6.5 next year) That's where you chose to spend the extra seven mil. So be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad