Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Looks like Bobby Nick and the gang have finally conceded that Larsson wasn’t the top pairing dman they’ve traded their best non-McDavid piece for.

And how are they going to get a "top pairing" dman?

Draft Dahlin?

They sure aint going to trade for one. With what assets?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
And how are they going to get a "top pairing" dman?

Draft Dahlin?

They sure aint going to trade for one. With what assets?

Probable top 5 pick, Klefbom, RNH, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto. The Oilers have a lot of assets to package together for one. If they want to strike gold with Karlsson, they have Draisaitl as a trading chip (don't know how I'd feel about that one as good as Karlsson is).

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Probable top 5 pick, Klefbom, RNH, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto. The Oilers have a lot of assets to package together for one. If they want to strike gold with Karlsson, they have Draisaitl as a trading chip (don't know how I'd feel about that one as good as Karlsson is).
Melnyk being a cheap bugger is going to make a Karlsson trade difficult for the Sens, I think.

Reactions: Calgareee

Beef Bacon

Jan 9, 2018
Would anyone trade Lucic and Sekera(11.5m cap hit) for Shea Weber and Alex Galchenyuk(12.75 cap hit). Montreal does this because they get a top four d and top 6 forward they coveted while saving cap and on shorter contracts then Weber.

Edmonton does it because Weber should still have a couple years as a top defenceman and if he retires early Nashville gets hit with the cap penalty and Galchenyuk may be able to rebound.

My value could be way off.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm already mentally preparing myself for some combination of RNH/Klefbom/Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/2018 1st/2019 1st for McDonagh, OEL, or God forbid, Faulk. Guys that I'm not fully convinced are that good to start with.

OEL and McDonagh are #1 Dmen, how are they not that good? Even if you feel they are overrated, either would be a massive addition for the Oilers. I wouldn't hesitate to give a combination of the assets you listed above for either, of course with the knowledge pre-trade that they are interested in re-signing here. On the other hand, I'm with you on Faulk. Not sure if I'd even part with RNH straight up for him, always felt that he was vastly overrated.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Would anyone trade Lucic and Sekera(11.5m cap hit) for Shea Weber and Alex Galchenyuk(12.75 cap hit). Montreal does this because they get a top four d and top 6 forward they coveted while saving cap and on shorter contracts then Weber.

Edmonton does it because Weber should still have a couple years as a top defenceman and if he retires early Nashville gets hit with the cap penalty and Galchenyuk may be able to rebound.

My value could be way off.

Montreal would never do that deal. Weber is still a good defenceman and Galchenyuk is going to be their prized trading chip.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm already mentally preparing myself for some combination of RNH/Klefbom/Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/2018 1st/2019 1st for McDonagh, OEL, or God forbid, Faulk. Guys that I'm not fully convinced are that good to start with.
imo OEL would be worth it, especially if he came with an extension (which I believe isn't allowed until this July)

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I wonder if Melnyk would go for something like this:

Klefbom ($3.5M real money this year, $4M next, less than $5M for the majority of his contract)
Russell (Declining salary every year of the deal, reaching $2.5M in Year 4)
Puljujarvi (Cheap young winger to replace Mark Stone)
EDM 1st 2018 (Two shots at Dahlin + a cheap ELC player)

Ottawa ends up with a D core built around Klefa, Ceci, Chabot and either Dahlin or one of Boqvist/Bouchard/Dobson (with Russell filling in for the time being).

In terms of cap, we actually save it this and next year before having to ink Karlsson to a $1M+ contract. However, if he's willing to split the difference between Drai and McD- "settling" for $10.5M- I think we could make it work:

Maroon ($3.25M)-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Yamamoto
Caggiula ($1.25M)-Strome ($2.75M)-Slepyshev ($1M)
UFA ($900K)-Khaira-Kassian
UFA ($800K) Malone

Sekera-Karlsson
Nurse ($4.5M)-Larsson
Davidson ($1.25M)-Benning ($1.25M)
Gryba

Talbot
Montoya

$2.2M cap space

Basically, they have to hope the cap goes up by at least $2M next summer in order to squeeze in EK's extension. Even then, it would be as tight as tight could be.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
OEL and McDonagh are #1 Dmen, how are they not that good? Even if you feel they are overrated, either would be a massive addition for the Oilers. I wouldn't hesitate to give a combination of the assets you listed above for either, of course with the knowledge pre-trade that they are interested in re-signing here. On the other hand, I'm with you on Faulk. Not sure if I'd even part with RNH straight up for him, always felt that he was vastly overrated.

OEL is a defensive nightmare.

Good, not elite, offensive ability but trash tier defending. He's no #1 d-man. Faulk has been overrated in his career true. But OEL might be the most overrated player in the league over the last 1/2 decade.

Last edited:

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Nudge and a draft or prospect for oel if oel signs extension
Strome and a draft pick for Gallagher

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Good, not elite, offensive ability doesn't but trash tier defending. He's no #1 d-man. Faulk has been overrated in his career true. But OEL might be the most overrated player in the league over the last 1/2 decade.

Just the opposite. He has been exceptional on a brutal team. The most underrated dman by far. Years of suck get to you

Same as Smith, much posts about him being garbage. Not so, the guy is Cgy's rock, and their so called D has not supported him much. And's it fitting his detractors are wrong.

Arz without OEL would have been unthinkable as far as how bad they are. Guy is a stud. This year, no blames. he's earned the right to not give a f

Reactions: ujju2

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

McDonagh doesn't have much of a contract left and IMO Nurse has been on his level this year.

I honestly find OEL hard to pin down. I equate him to an older and more physical Ristolainen and he is average at best defensively.

Yes he puts up good offensive numbers but pretty much all he's ever done his whole career is get his teeth kicked in over and over and over again on miserable Coyotes squads.

I'm wondering if OEL has this amazing reputation simply because has Jeff Petry syndrome - just looks amazing because the rest of Arizona's defencemen are horrific.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
McDonagh doesn't have much of a contract left and IMO Nurse has been on his level this year.

I honestly find OEL hard to pin down. I equate him to an older and more physical Ristolainen and he is average at best defensively.

Yes he puts up good offensive numbers but pretty much all he's ever done his whole career is get his teeth kicked in over and over and over again on miserable Coyotes squads.

I'm wondering if OEL has this amazing reputation simply because has Jeff Petry syndrome - just looks amazing because the rest of Arizona's defencemen are horrific.

This. But far better than Risto overall. If he was on a good team, easily considered top 8 in the NHL imo. Arz has robbed him huge. Karlsson is a truly a specimen to have elevated his game that much over his team when you think about it. I put him in "generational" status

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just the opposite. He has been exceptional on a brutal team. The most underrated dman by far. Years of suck get to you

Same as Smith, much posts about him being garbage. Not so, the guy is Cgy's rock, and their so called D has not supported him much. And's it fitting his detractors are wrong.

Arz without OEL would have been unthinkable as far as how bad they are. Guy is a stud. This year, no blames. he's earned the right to not give a f

Arizona with OEL is already unthinkably bad. He's an embarrassment in his own end. Has been for years.

Glorified Kevin Shattenkirk.

Reactions: fuswald

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Arizona with OEL is already unthinkably bad. He's an embarrassment in his own end. Has been for years.

Glorified Kevin Shattenkirk.

"OEL is nearly twice as good in his own end as Burns, while similarly productive in goals, although Burns has far more offensive upside"

" There’s hardly any gap between the two on shot impact or primary points (the bar graphs underneath), which means that while OEL may not take as many shots or score as many goals, he provides the key pass on almost as many and stops even more than the consensus best defenseman in the NHL. He’s comparably good in goal scoring while being half as good again on defense as Karlsson is over the past two years."

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

McDonagh is having a bit of a down year but so is that entire team. His track record dictates that he's an all situation 2 way #1 Dman, a slightly less version of Pietrangelo.

I think OEL is a victim of being a horrendous team. He has had a rough couple of years but prior to that, I always came away supremely impressed with his ability to control the pace of the game. The elite offensive Dmen all have defensive warts, this isn't exclusive to OEL. Pair him with a steady influence in Larsson, who did wonders for Klef last season, and watch him flourish

At this point, it's nitpicking. Either of these guys would be a big upgrade for the Oilers and completely change the complexion of their defense. I don't think OEL is realistic because it's within division but I see no reason why the Oilers can't make a pitch for McDonagh. The contract situation is a risk but there's a reason why these guys are available, they wouldn't be available if they were locked up long term. Is it worth the risk? I don't know, but the Oilers need to upgrade the D somehow, don't see many other options out there outside of drafting one and waiting 3-4 years.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Good, not elite, offensive ability but trash tier defending. He's no #1 d-man. Faulk has been overrated in his career true. But OEL might be the most overrated player in the league over the last 1/2 decade.

Klefbom plus RNH for OEL is closer to happening than most realize. I take it that hypothetical wouldn’t interest you.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->