Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: This is the Sound of Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You gotta think Laine will be signing a show me deal. Blessing in disguise for the Jets..

I'll take Trouba over any of our D.. any day.
Ditto. I'd take him over any realistically available winger we could acquire out there too.

But I don't think there's a realistic option of acquiring Trouba and having him sign a deal we can fit into our cap structure.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What assets and cap space do we have to give a massive conference contender for Ehlers?

The Oilers are going to continue to tiptoe until their prospects start to emerge. The team just isn't in a position where they can afford to mortgage the future. What is the end result? A slightly better, less affordable current product?

Reactions: Cypress

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
What assets and cap space do we have to give a massive conference contender for Ehlers?

The Oilers are going to continue to tiptoe until their prospects start to emerge. The team just isn't in a position where they can afford to mortgage the future. What is the end result? A slightly better, less affordable current product?

1st/Nurse since Trouba might be gone

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Ditto. I'd take him over any realistically available winger we could acquire out there too.

But I don't think there's a realistic option of acquiring Trouba and having him sign a deal we can fit into our cap structure.

Seriously some of you guys.... if Trouba doesn't like Winnipeg and doesnt wanna play there what makes you think he would like to play in edm?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Seriously some of you guys.... if Trouba doesn't like Winnipeg and doesnt wanna play there what makes you think he would like to play in edm?
That was what I was trying to get at by saying I don't think we could get him to sign a contract that would fit into our cap structure. I think any deal he'd sign would have to be well above what he'd get anywhere else. Otherwise he wouldn't be interested.

Reactions: LMFAO

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Nurse has 37 doesn't make him a 1 or 2 D.
Trouba only has 6 goals.
Trouba is a rock defensively and does all the heavy lifting along with Morrisey on the Jets. The Morrissey - Trouba pairing allows Big Buff to get massively favourable zone starts.

I think the discussion for Trouba would start with Nurse or Klefbom. If they trade Trouba they likely try and sign Myers. So LHD would be a bigger need.
I think I would do Klefbom and a small + for Trouba. Something like Klefbom + 2nd. Only if he signs here long term of course. Klefbom is massively injury prone so it might be wise to add a little and upgrade.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
1st/Nurse since Trouba might be gone
Sorry, I should rephrase. What assets could we afford to give up?

We're not exactly wealthy in terms of organizational depth. Making a conference rival deeper in that regard isn't exactly beneficial to our ability to contend. Especially when you consider this is a team well ahead of the curve already.

Reactions: nabob

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Trouba is a rock defensively and does all the heavy lifting along with Morrisey on the Jets. The Morrissey - Trouba pairing allows Big Buff to get massively favourable zone starts.

I think I would do Klefbom and a small + for Trouba. Something like Klefbom + 2nd. Only if he signs here long term of course. Klefbom is massively injury prone so it might be wise to add a little and upgrade.

I probably would too but losing Klef would hurt a lot.

Reactions: 780il

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Thoughts on Ebs coming back for about 3ish million for 3 years?

Would look good on Nuge's wing and gives us a right handed look on the PP

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I dunno, what about all those prospects bubbling under that are supposed to be the future cheap depth for this team?

The Oilers are going to continue to tiptoe until their prospects start to emerge.

And if they don't amount to anything? What then? If you can parlay some of those scratch tickets into an affordable young player locked up long term who also fits the team's needs to a T, why wouldn't you do it?

The team just isn't in a position where they can afford to mortgage the future. What is the end result? A slightly better, less affordable current product?

Probably the playoffs next season is my guess.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Sorry, I should rephrase. What assets could we afford to give up?

We're not exactly wealthy in terms of organizational depth. Making a conference rival deeper in that regard isn't exactly beneficial to our ability to contend. Especially when you consider this is a team well ahead of the curve already.

I don't think we can afford to hoard prospects for the sake of hoarding prospects either. They need to show some improvement, not waste another year or two of McDrai's prime.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Would you guys trade down for the Jets 1st and add a 3rd if we get Buchnevich back?

McDavid - Drai
Nuge - Buchnevich

is a good start. He hit 40 points last year, on pace for the same this year, but looks to be starting to put it together. Thoughts?

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I'd trade our 1st for him. 60 point player signed at 6m for 6 more years.

It would take more than a 1st. Does a 1st and 2nd get it done? I'd honestly pay that price. Six years remaining at a good cap hit and a proven producer in the top 6. We're a playoff team if you add Ehlers without giving up roster players imo.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Chevy is a smart ass GM and im sure he has a plan but lets say
- Myers and Hayes are open to re-sign in WPG
- Trouba wants out (but would somehow agree to sign LT here)
- Connor and Laine want to get paid

Klefbom + Oilers 2019 1st (~8th overall) + Yammo +
for
Ehlers + Trouba

I'd even try a Perrault for Russel swap

Reactions: 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Chevy is a smart ass GM and im sure he has a plan but lets say
- Myers and Hayes are open to re-sign in WPG
- Trouba wants out (but would somehow agree to sign LT here)
- Connor and Laine want to get paid

Klefbom + Oilers 2019 1st (~8th overall) + Yammo +
for
Ehlers + Trouba

I'd even try a Perrault for Russel swap
I think they'd try and get Jesse instead and reignite him with Laine.
So,

Klefbom + our 1st + Puljujarvi + 3rd
For
Trouba + Ehlers

Then dump off Russel to anyone who takes him.

X - Mcdavid - Drai
X - Nuge - Ehlers

Nurse - Trouba
Sekera - Larsson

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
1) Benning for Brown
2) Sign Burakovsky 2x2
3) Lucic + 2nd for Zak Smith (Sens)

Burakovsky - McDavid - Brown (2+12.+2 = 16.5)
Ehlers - Draisaitl - Gagner (6+8.5+3 = 17.5)
Perrault - RNH - Pulju (4+10+1.5 = 15.5)
Smith - Cave - Kassian (3+1+2 = 6.5)
= 58.5 total

Nurse - Trouba (3+7.5 = 10.5)
Sekera - Larsson (5.5+4 = 9.5)
Jones - Bear/Persson (1+1=2)
= 22 total

Koskinen (4.5)
Bakcup (1)
= 5.5 total

83 total (+1m for rounding) = 84m

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I think they'd try and get Jesse instead and reignite him with Laine.
So,

Klefbom + our 1st + Puljujarvi + 3rd
For
Trouba + Ehlers

Then dump off Russel to anyone who takes him.

X - Mcdavid - Drai
X - Nuge - Ehlers

Nurse - Trouba
Sekera - Larsson

I dont think they would want Jesse with Vesalainen coming in next season and Jesse requiring waivers. But if they did want him over Yammo I would send him over.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think we can afford to hoard prospects for the sake of hoarding prospects either. They need to show some improvement, not waste another year or two of McDrai's prime.
To hoard prospects you'd have to assume we have an abundance of them. We don't. And the proposal I responded to was Nurse and our 1st, which immediately impacts the current roster and removes what is likely to be a highly valued ELC.

That isn't even addressing the fact that you're improving the sustainability of a Western Conference power for the opportunity to poach one of their depth scorers.

It's mortgaging the future for marginal gains. This team wouldn't have missed the playoffs had Klefbom and Russell not gone down at the same time mid-season. I'm not convinced it takes a $6m forward for us to get there next year.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
To hoard prospects you'd have to assume we have an abundance of them. We don't. And the proposal I responded to was Nurse and our 1st, which immediately impacts the current roster and removes what is likely to be a highly valued ELC.

Then you're just wasting another year papering over holes with low-end UFAs and reclamation projects in hopes of lucking into another Chiasson or that one of the Bako kids actually turns into an impact NHLer overnight.

That isn't even addressing the fact that you're improving the sustainability of a Western Conference power for the opportunity to poach one of their depth scorers.

Who would instantly be our natural winger and give the team something it currently lacks: two functional scoring lines.

It's mortgaging the future for marginal gains.

How is addressing a glaring need with a 23 year old players signed long term "mortgaging the future"?

This team wouldn't have missed the playoffs had Klefbom and Russell not gone down at the same time mid-season. I'm not convinced it takes a $6m forward for us to get there next year.

Yeah all they have to do is be perfectly healthy and they might make the last wild car and get stompe dby a real team.

This team is going nowhere until they can actually roll out more than one forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad