Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Soli Stinks, and Yak Yakking His Way Out, Mod Post #642

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Because we'd be moving a player who might be able to help us in a few years for one that can help us now.

Everyone seems to want to wait and wait for him to develop, yet the biggest problem is no good defensemen now and there's already some questions marks about Nure.

Cash in on him now and turn north, Nurse isn't going to be bring much offense and we have enough defensive guys in Klefbom and Sekera. Those two are both top-4 guys now, Klefbom might even be a top-pairing guy arguably before he was hurt. Nurse hasn't been a good third-pairing guy this season.

Jun 9, 2011
Everyone seems to want to wait and wait for him to develop, yet the biggest problem is no good defensemen now and there's already some questions marks about Nure.

Cash in on him now and turn north, Nurse isn't going to be bring much offense and we have enough defensive guys in Klefbom and Sekera. Those two are both top-4 guys now, Klefbom might even be a top-pairing guy arguably before he was hurt. Nurse hasn't been a good third-pairing guy this season.
And then lose the guy you traded for in an expansion? I think Nurse has been trending pretty well for a kid who has been thrown to the wolves with NO protection and very little veteran support. That truculence isn't something you get with every big d either. It's valuable. I don't make any deal that includes our young d prospects, we have a lot of valuable forwards that can get us d and we need to keep our cupboards stocked in the AHL and juniors if possible.

What is this Hall for Landeskog stuff? There is no way, without a horrendous overpay, Colorado is going to trade their captain. It's a great 'change of scenery' thing for us, but what would motivate Colorado? OH yeah, getting one of our stud defense and a high 'ish' pick. I'm not into losing trades. Find a partner that has a need we can fill, that works for both teams. Losing on a bunch of trades is poor asset management. imo.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
And then lose the guy you traded for in an expansion? I think Nurse has been trending pretty well for a kid who has been thrown to the wolves with NO protection and very little veteran support. That truculence isn't something you get with every big d either. It's valuable. I don't make any deal that includes our young d prospects, we have a lot of valuable forwards that can get us d and we need to keep our cupboards stocked in the AHL and juniors if possible.

What is this Hall for Landeskog stuff? There is no way, without a horrendous overpay, Colorado is going to trade their captain. It's a great 'change of scenery' thing for us, but what would motivate Colorado? OH yeah, getting one of our stud defense and a high 'ish' pick. I'm not into losing trades. Find a partner that has a need we can fill, that works for both teams. Losing on a bunch of trades is poor asset management. imo.

You realize the expansion draft rules aren't in stone yet right?

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016

You can protect 8 players instead of 3 defensemen and the fowards option, but it's not set in stone anyways.

He's been brutal this year, the Oilers get caved in with him on the ice and I'm a bit worried about Nurse. Sure, he's tough and can skate really well, but what else does he do? He's not a very good puck mover and he doesn't get the puck out of the defensive zone well.

He's got a lot of potential still, but cash in on that and get a really good defensemen right now so the team can start winning some games.

Oilrider

Jul 5, 2011
Mostly Edmonton
Let's assume this team is going to look very different next year. That could mean many different scenarios, where we trade for different players and possibly add via Free Agency. I think players on O and D are worth discussing because there are issues throughout this team, and even if you think we don't need help on O (we do, but I digress), we could end up trading large pieces out for Help on D, which would mean we may need to sign a free agent, or make a trade for O as well.

Without too much thought in what it would take to get these players, or the position they play since a hole could open up in that position, why don't we first discuss what kind of players we are looking for? After that we can decide how to get them. Some players are FA and some would be via trade. Simply put, based on their playing ability, who of this list interests you? I'm personally interested in proven winners, playmakers, possession guys, "Heavy" players, two-way players. NOT another pure goal scorer, since I assume at least a couple of them will stay, and no doubt McDavid will be on the team. Has anyone watched some of these guys frequently enough that we can get a bit of a scouting report on them? I admit, I've watched too many Oiler games and not enough of everyone else to determine if some of them are what we need. I've tried to include players that I think could be had given the right circumstances.

Copy and Paste list with your ratings, add players as you see fit, or quick scouting report on each player?

David Backes, C, FA,
Okposo, RW, FA,
Lucic, LW, FA
Andrew Ladd, LW, FA
E. staal, C, FA
Jagr, RW, FA
Yandle, D, FA
Eriksson, RW, FA
B. Campbell, D, FA
Rusell, D, FA
Hudler, C/RW, FA
Vrbata, RW, FA
W. Simmons, RW, PHI
Fowler, D, ANA
Vatenen, D, ANA
Zibanejad, OTT
Turris, OTT
Hoffman, OTT
Ceci, D, OTT
Weircioch, D, OTT
Lazar, OTT
Hartnell, CLB
Drouin, TB
Hamhuis, D, FA
Stempniak, FA
P.A. Parenteau, FA
Brodin, D, MIN
Schlemko, FA
Z. Michalek, D, PHX
Connor Murphy, D, PHX
Stone, D, PHX
Hamonic, D, NYI
Burrows, VAN
Brouwer, RW STL
Trouba, D, WPG
Shattenkirk, D, STL
Stamkos, C, FA
Erik Johnson, D, COL
Lecavelier, C/RW, LA
Jackman, D, NSH
R. Ellis, D, NSH
Hjalmarsson, D, CHI
Chara, D, BOS

Jun 9, 2011
You realize the expansion draft rules aren't in stone yet right?
Yes, I am going by the rumours so far. I'm sure Chiarelli won't make trades until it is set.

I assume any player coming back would be on the protected list. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Yep, no brainer, but if the rules are as rumoured, we would have to put that player on the protected list, exposing someone else.. If we keep Nurse we may not have to use a space for protection.

I understand we don't know the rules of the expansion draft yet. My replies are based on the bits and pieces we have heard.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I honestly thought you were an RNH fan... I guess times change as do opinions on players.

10 years of missed playoffs and still in 30th... I think that makes most of us pretty crotchety and disgruntled towards everything concerning this team.

And rightly so. You've got nothing to lose asking for a different way of doing business. It starts from the top, you need to hire the best hockey people money can buy. The toughest thing to do is to objectively evaluate personnel who were once fan favorite players with the team. They may or may not be competent -- an organization has to be able to make those assessments by being forward looking. Just cause they played the game or were highly productive players, doesn't necessarily make good management people.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Stauffer leading off with a Gretzky interview. That should keep the angry mob with pitchforks in hand at bay for a bit.

Oilrider

Jul 5, 2011
Mostly Edmonton
David Backes, C, FA - I think he fits the bill assuming someone like Nuge is traded. Plus, Depth at C is great and you can always shift someone to wing until an injury happens.
Okposo, RW, FA, - Haven't watched him enough, and I assume his salary will be high, but it seems like he provides something we need. 6'0, 217lbs.
Lucic, LW, FA - Seems like a no brainer as a fit for what we need. Although quite unlikely to happen.
Andrew Ladd, LW, FA - Would provide leadership, and good fit in place of Hall or Pouliot if they are traded.
E. staal, C, FA - Would appeal to me somewhat if I'm not thinking too much about the contract it would likely take, as I have a feeling someone will overpay
Jagr, RW, FA - Would overpay to have him come here for 1 year. I dont mind a stop gap that can mentor young players, and improve the team.
Yandle, D, FA -
Eriksson, RW, FA
B. Campbell, D, FA - Haven't seen him enough to know how effective he can still be. Will be signed for shorter term and fewer dollars this time around. Stop gap until some young guys develop? Would allow us to keep Nurse and Reinhart from being thrown to the wolves.
Rusell, D, FA - Shot blocking D
Hudler, C/RW, FA
Vrbata, RW, FA
W. Simmons, RW, PHI - Has that mix of size and skill that we need if we don't have Eberle and Yakupov next year.
Fowler, D, ANA - Anaheim needs to trade someone...
Vatenen, D, ANA - See above
Zibanejad, OTT - Ottawa wants to shake things up. Hasn't been living up to expectations. May be a buy low scenario.
Turris, OTT - Ottawa wants to shake things up. Big money player though.
Hoffman, OTT - Will want big money.
Ceci, D, OTT - Young second pairing D. Ottawa has a lot of D and may be willing to move someone?
Weircioch, D, OTT - Hasn't been working out, overpaid if he doesn't turn it around. buy low scenario?
Lazar, OTT - Hasn't worked out like he was projected. Oil Kind factor, but not sure he is a solution to our problems.
Hartnell, CLB - Would be a great add if you aren't afraid of his contract. Size and skill. 6'2, 214lbs. He is 21/24/45 this year. Maybe a trade where you overpay, but get them to retain salary? (currently 4.75 until 2019, when he is 36or 37)
Drouin, TB - Doesn't appeal much to me unless the price is low enough. Doesn't solve any of our problems unless it's just a low salary project, and we are trading away a lot of O.
Hamhuis, D, FA
Stempniak, FA - A lot of posters have liked his game in the past. Low cost player.
P.A. Parenteau, FA - Might be a fit?
Brodin, D, MIN
Demers, D - 6'1 201 lbs.
Schlemko, FA
Z. Michalek, D, PHX - I've included PHX players in the event that we win the lottery, and it is true that OEL won't be traded.
Connor Murphy, D, PHX
Stone, D, PHX
Hamonic, D, NYI - Would be great to get a good RH D, but expecations might be too high of him by now. He isn't a #1.
Burrows, VAN
Brouwer, RW STL - Good veteran player. Haven't seen enough of him lately though.
Trouba, D, WPG
Shattenkirk, D, STL - Proven RH D
Stamkos, C, FA - Doesn't solve our problems, and is hugely unlikely but I had to include him. Woud take a drastic overhaul of the team for this to make sense.
Erik Johnson, D, COL - I think he has been a disapointment lately, but I'm hoping others know more.
Lecavelier, C/RW, LA - In the event that he doesn't retire, and more money is retained. Veteran, but there isn't much interest from me.
Jackman, D, NSH - Assuming Weber and Josi aren't going anywhere.
R. Ellis, D, NSH - See above.
Hjalmarsson, D, CHI - Cap troubles there, but I assume they do everything to keep Seabrook and Keith.
Chara, D, BOS - Declining player (39 yrs old), but he is Chara. Assume he retires before the end of his contract in '18.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Have been a Hall fan for so long, have spent countless hours defending him on these boards and in discussions with friends, even strangers at games. But I'm pretty much moved on from him at this point, this is McDavids team and he's in the way.

Move 1) Hall + Yakupov for Justin Faulk
Move 2) Eberle + 2017 2nd for Hamonic
Move 3) Sign Loui Erikkson (5 x 6 million)
Move 4) Sign Andrew Ladd (5x 6 million)
Move 5) Dave Bolland (at 4 million) for Korpikoski + #31
Move 6) Draft Laine/Puljujarvi.

Lineup:

Maroon - McDavid (C) - Erikkson
Ladd (A) - RNH - Draisaitl
Pouliot - Bolland - Pulju/Laine
Hendricks - Letestu - Pakarinen
Kassian

Sekera - Faulk
Klefbom - Hamonic
Nurse - Davidson

Talbot

Protect:
F: Draisaitl, RNH, Eriksson, Ladd/Bolland
D: Faulk, Klefbom, Hamonic, Sekera/Davidson

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Massive overpays for Faulk. If you're going to do that, you may as well go big bird hunting like OEL or Pietrangelo.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Dave Bolland is not an NHL player. Giving up a high 2nd for him? I dunno what some people are thinking.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I actually really like the idea of Andrew Ladd. He was willing to sign in Winnipeg so our location wouldn't be too much of a detriment. He would fit nicely on a line with McDavid IMO. Rumoured cost was just over 6M for a long term deal. So maybe Lucic is a better fit when talking about age and the length of the deal but leadership is needed.

Hall-Nuge-Drai
Ladd-McDavid-XXX--> Stempniak/Andrew Shaw??
Maroon-XXX-Kassian
Hendriks-Letestu-Pakarainen
Khaira

Klefbom-XXX
Sekera-XXX
Davidson-XXX

To me as a general mould for the team this looks decent. As long as we can bring two good defensemen AKA Demers, Vatanen, Hamonic or shooting for the stars--> Pietro, Faulk, etc.

Assets in play obviously some on the roster above would be also but: Pou, Yak, Eberle, 2016 1st, and the 2017 1st. A combination of those should be able to land us a top 4 D or two. Or sign Demers and trade a package of those assets for a really high end offensive D.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
In the unlikely event that Faulk actually is unhappy in Carolina and is made available I don't think they will take wingers for him. That being said I also don't think he is worth Nuge + Drai + Nurse which is basically 2 players capable of playing 1C with room to be true 1Cs plus a #2 Dman potential player. I can count on one hand the number of players I'd trade that for and Faulk isn't one of them. Carolina imo will want a young potential 1C so, either Matthews if we win first or Draisaitl. Plus probably something else of moderate significance. If he wants out I think 1st overall or Drai gets them to listen as a starting point.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
In the unlikely event that Faulk actually is unhappy in Carolina and is made available I don't think they will take wingers for him. That being said I also don't think he is worth Nuge + Drai + Nurse which is basically 2 players capable of playing 1C with room to be true 1Cs plus a #2 Dman potential player. I can count on one hand the number of players I'd trade that for and Faulk isn't one of them. Carolina imo will want a young potential 1C so, either Matthews if we win first or Draisaitl. Plus probably something else of moderate significance. If he wants out I think 1st overall or Drai gets them to listen as a starting point.

If he wants out, you won't have to go that high. If they want a C out of it, I'd give them Nuge, Osterle and a pick, maybe next year's first.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
If he wants out, you won't have to go that high. If they want a C out of it, I'd give them Nuge, Osterle and a pick, maybe next year's first.

I sort of agree with this I don't know of many teams that are able to talk about multiple young potential 1c's that they could move and still have that piece on their team. We are in a unique situation where we can beat lots of teams offers just based on the pieces we have.

If they want a young potential 1c how many other teams can offer that?? Or would do it since that is creating a hole to fix one for lots of teams as they don't have two.

I think maybe Colorado with Duchene.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Anyone concerned when targeting guys like OEL/Faulk that you're targeting players who have been on terrible teams their entire careers?

I don't really buy it, but everyone says that the "core" we have here is too used to losing, loser mentality etc. Well Faulk and OEL have done nothing but lose their entire career too.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Anyone concerned when targeting guys like OEL/Faulk that you're targeting players who have been on terrible teams their entire careers?

I don't really buy it, but everyone says that the "core" we have here is too used to losing, loser mentality etc. Well Faulk and OEL have done nothing but lose their entire career too.

Not overly they bring a skill set we lack and compliment what we have currently. I think their teams are like our flawed with having a big weakness in their roster that drags their team down.

Ours is our D not being able to transition to the puck to the forwards with speed so we end up with a really dysfunctional breakout and get hemmed in and before we fixed our goaltending we had no chance.

Edit: I would also like to bring in one of those ultra competitive wingers (Lucic, Ladd) with experience if possible this offseason when/if we trade away one+ of Eberle, Yak, Pou, Hall, etc.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

I think the losing culture thing is B.S. so it doesn't bother me. Everyone's a loser until they actually win. Get good players, winning will follow.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think the losing culture thing is B.S. so it doesn't bother me. Everyone's a loser until they actually win. Get good players, winning will follow.

Its not the losing culture. Its the lack of professionalism. This team take far to many nights off and don't come to the rink prepared to work. Heck, McLennan said as much in his last presser.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Its not the losing culture. Its the lack of professionalism. This team take far to many nights off and don't come to the rink prepared to work. Heck, McLennan said as much in his last presser.

Here's the defense last game.

Sekera-Fayne
Reinhart-Oesterle
Nurse-Pardy

One top-4 NHL defensemen (Sekera). The rest is just noise.

How many of those guys should be in the AHL? Reinhart/Nuse/Oesterle, both Fayne and Pardy were waived.

That's not an NHL defense, which is why stuff like "taking nights off" and whatnot is just meaningless. Get a defense, get rid of useless bottom six players like Korpikoski and take away McLellan's food every time he plays Hendricks/Letestu/Pakarinen more than 4th line minutes. That stuff actually matters.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I wouldn't mind seeing Yak for a Leo Komarov or Yannick Hansen type player. I don't know why Chia would want to add another young player with potential for him as reports have indicated.

Also has everyone written off Lander at this point or do you see a role for him on next years team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad