Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Soli Stinks, and Yak Yakking His Way Out, Mod Post #642

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
There's no single player on this team that they'd deal Faulk for straight up outside of McDavid.

Were you calling Hall injury prone or a Band Aid prior to this season? Or is he exempt because he's one of your faves?

Their first 4 full seasons (not including the lockout season)

Hall 65, 61, 75, 53 = 254 games
RNH 62, 80, 76, 53 (with 2 more to play hopefully) = 271 games

If we include the lockout seasons then for their first 5 seasons it's 299 games for Hall and 311 for RNH. Oddly enough if both play the remaining 2 games of the season they will both have played the same amount of games in the last 2 seasons. So what's Hall's catchy nickname?

Sad that you have to cherry pick seasons to try and defend Nugent Band Aid.

But if it makes you feel any better, Hall is playing like he wants out. So we will probably be stuck on Band Aid.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Robert Tychkowski from the Sun pretty much nailed it in this article...

"For the Flames’ Johnny Gaudreau to be the one saying, “It’s the last time playing here, so we thought we would make it a special memory for us as a team,†when none of the Oilers did, is also straight from the wrong end of the bull or any other farm animal you care to name."

"Losing streaks of three or longer? The Oilers have had 11 of those (12 if you want to break the seven-gamer into two parts). That’s not easy in an 82-game season."

:help:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be honest I'm not really that shocked they are where they are.

They finished what? 3rd last last year?

I pegged them to get about 78 points or so this year, but that was under the assumption that McDavid would play at least 60 games and ditto for Klefbom.

Remove McDavid for basically half the season and Klefbom for 2/3rds of the season ... and they basically are right around where I would expect .... 67 points, probably will finish with about 69.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
"For the Flames’ Johnny Gaudreau to be the one saying, “It’s the last time playing here, so we thought we would make it a special memory for us as a team,” when none of the Oilers did, is also straight from the wrong end of the bull or any other farm animal you care to name."

"Losing streaks of three or longer? The Oilers have had 11 of those (12 if you want to break the seven-gamer into two parts). That’s not easy in an 82-game season."

Not that I'm blaming him for it, but an interesting stat: Cam Talbot has only won more than 2 games in a row once all season. He's lost more than 2 games in a row 7 times.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sad that you have to cherry pick seasons to try and defend Nugent Band Aid.

But if it makes you feel any better, Hall is playing like he wants out. So we will probably be stuck on Band Aid.

How so? One guy has played 1 more season than the other guy. Do you just compare career games played in that case when one guy had the potential to play 82 more games than the other? IMO that'd be a BS way of doing things. Bottom line is Hall who you have always had time for is even more injury prone than a guy you are calling Band Aid, sad indeed.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
"For the Flames’ Johnny Gaudreau to be the one saying, “It’s the last time playing here, so we thought we would make it a special memory for us as a team,†when none of the Oilers did, is also straight from the wrong end of the bull or any other farm animal you care to name."

And that is the difference between our two teams, theirs has pride and ours plays like they got their lunch money taken, a wedgie and sand kicked in their eyes.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I really, honestly don't see your team as an improvement on the one we have now, and the future is a lot more bleak. Eric is declining badly and will want a huge payday. The wingers are horrible. Jordan makes just as much as RNH and is worse offensively. That team would be dead last in goals for. Just... No, man. No.

I really don't think we'd score less. I think we might even score more given we'd be able to win battles in front of the net and along the boards. All those guys bring size strength and skill. On top of that were adding two good PMD with heavy shots in Goligoski and Severson. Offence starts with the defence and ours hasn't been able to make a stretch pass in awhile. Goligoski can make those passes.

Where that team would really excel is shutting down the other teams. That team should have a GAA under 2.5 vs us having a GAA over 3 right now. That would go a long ways in getting us back to the playoffs.

It's also worth mentioning that I didn't pencil in our top pick from this year which could easily be Laine, Puljujarvi, or Tkachuk added to that top 6.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The reluctance to blow this thing up is the hangover from the pre-McDavid era of the past 9 years or so. He's the single centre piece now and face of the franchise.

No more "core". It is the Edmonton Oilers as 1 team only. McDavid as captain. I can guarantee guys like Kassian, Maroon, Hendo, Nurse, etc. would run through a ****ing wall for McDavid.

Hall, Yak, Eberle, RNH gotta go to make us compete in the Pacific. This is 97s team now, 29, 25, & 88 all stay.

Our D prospects actually looked respectable throughout the year. Davidson impressed. Nurse has to grow but he brings a nasty physical edge you want on the back end. Reinhart had a string of solid defensive games. Could easily see him and Nurse playing the bottom pair and getting PK time.

Hall for Hamonic or something in there. Yak get whatever you can get, either 3rd line big winger or just something. Eberle + for a top 4 D. RNH + 1st round pick (especially if #1 or 2) for someone in the Pietro territory.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Why not give Lucic 6 million a year?

We have always needed a Lucic type player and we haven't made playoffs in 10 yrs.

Who cares if we don't like contract if 3 yrs....if we keep losing Mcdavid will want out by then anyways...

We may have to lose a couple of trades, young guys for vets, to get better, but we have to get better whether it be free agency or trades.....Lucic would be a great start

If we can trade 2 of Hall, Hopkins and Eberle for 2 top 4 d-men, trade the remaining guy and Yakupov for the best package of picks or prospects we can get... sure. I'd give Lucic 7M.

Oct 15, 2008
How so? One guy has played 1 more season than the other guy. Do you just compare career games played in that case when one guy had the potential to play 82 more games than the other? IMO that'd be a BS way of doing things. Bottom line is Hall who you have always had time for is even more injury prone than a guy you are calling Band Aid, sad indeed.

Why choose the first four seasons instead of the last four seasons?

I never brought up Hall. You did. In a way that best supports your strawman argument. Fact of the matter is neither one of these guys has helped us get out of the basement. If we are to project which one holds more value? Highly unlikely it would be Ryan Nugent Band Aid.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
In light of the overall tone of the board I thought this was pretty funny:

The coach went on to criticize the team’s core players for not being more like Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby, whom he mentioned by name – for not being guys who step up when the team needs a goal.

“I think we have some good leadership. Maybe not enough from our core. We need more from these guys. They need to prove to us that they can carry this team,†he said.
“Their core players are the ones who … our core players are having a hard time carrying this team,†said Roy. “I’m sorry. The core has to be our best players.â€

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have no idea what this offseason will look like. I thought it be somewhat straightforward, but now I have no Idea.

McDavid, Draisaitl (probably), Klefbom, Davidson and Talbot, I'm pretty certain they will all be Oilers next year, beyond that, who knows.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

****ing sickening. Turf this team and bring in some winners

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I still believe that we can get rid of Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Pouliot and Yakupov and be a better team next year.

We can bring in guys with far less skill, but who play hard, 2 ways, and provide leadership.

As I've stated before, I don't care if the trades look like losses on paper now and in the future. The results on the ice will be a win.

Especially if we win Matthews or Laine.

Trading those five players would easily result in us having a solid defense going into next year, plus some future assets to work with.

If we free up all of that cap space as well, I see no reason why we couldn't land at least one of Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd or Okposo.

Get rid of some of our bottom 6 junk to and sign guys to one year deals who are hungry to prove something.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
I have no idea what this offseason will look like. I thought it be somewhat straightforward, but now I have no Idea.

McDavid, Draisaitl (probably), Klefbom, Davidson and Talbot, I'm pretty certain they will all be Oilers next year, beyond that, who knows.

Yup.

I like the idea of keeping Davidson around, and I doubt he's shown above the radar so much for other GMs to come asking about him. But a couple Cs, a pair of Ds (Sekera has a NMC but would likely happily oblige if it means escaping this tire fire), and Talbot. New "core" to build around.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yup.

I like the idea of keeping Davidson around, and I doubt he's shown above the radar so much for other GMs to come asking about him. But a couple Cs, a pair of Ds (Sekera has a NMC but would likely happily oblige if it means escaping this tire fire), and Talbot. New "core" to build around.

As I've said before, give me more Davidsons. Give me guys who had to fight their way here and know how lucky there are to be here every day.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
As I've said before, give me more Davidsons. Give me guys who had to fight their way here and know how lucky there are to be here every day.

I'd like to think Draisaitl's a part of the picture you mention, but his reduction in play suggests otherwise. Too young? Slump all players endure at some point in their young careers? Or has he too become infected with apathy?

He was sent down at the beginning of the season and when called up, lit up the league. Not sure he's in the same scenario as Davidson here though. :)

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'd like to think Draisaitl's a part of the picture you mention, but his reduction in play suggests otherwise. Too young? Slump all players endure at some point in their young careers? Or has he too become infected with apathy?

He was sent down at the beginning of the season and when called up, lit up the league. Not sure he's in the same scenario as Davidson here though. :)

It looks like he holds a lot more value around the league when compared to RNH.
If Drai+ can land us someone like Pieterangelo or another legit #1D then Chia should be making the swap.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
Essentially the same thing we heard when MacT was hired and then last year when PC was hired?

While many claim now to know that the current roster spot won't cut it, hindsight is 20/20. A hell of a lot of clarity comes from this 5-0 drubbing.

But I doubt many were so confident that blowing this up was the right thing to do as the team would show some signs of turning things around. The recent Cali games are good examples. Everyone's wanted the core to work. No shame in wanting it so bad that we've believed too strongly - and blindly? - in the vision.

I think that the proof is now in, though. For all to see. There are no longer any stragglers.

But it's hard to blame any fan, media included, to have held out for what they'd hoped to see happen...to complain resoundingly one minute and then to have bought back in to the dream the next.

Tychkowsky's bang on. In both aspects, in holding the players AND those around them accountable. I think it's now that everyone fully believes it and is set for radical change. Chia's the most objective of the bunch, and won't hold back. Now.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
It looks like he holds a lot more value around the league when compared to RNH.
If Drai+ can land us someone like Pieterangelo or another legit #1D then Chia should be making the swap.

I'd be ok with moving forward at C as...

McDavid
RNH
<competent 2-way player>
Letestu

...assuming we have Pietrangelo as our top blueliner.

Perhaps acquire Hamonic in a combo deal that sees either Eberle or Hall moved to the East, and before you know it, we have a couple solid, well-appropriated Cs to build around, with a reliable goaltender and a scenario whereby you have a top 4 blueline of:

Piets
Hamonic
Klefbom
Sekera

I think this would be a solid framework.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yup.

Davidson is cheap and played like a top-4-ish defenseman, unless he's adding serious value to a deal, no good reason to trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad