D Stian Solberg - Vålerenga, Norway (2024 Draft)

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Looks like hes gotten even better since his WJC a few months ago.
Exactly my thoughts. I thought his play with the puck was so-so at best at the WJC but it seems like his game has exploded recently and he is the complete package now. Offense, defense, physicality, puck-moving, leadership, skating... easily the best Norwegian player after 2 games imo. We'll see if he keeps it up.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Exactly my thoughts. I thought his play with the puck was so-so at best at the WJC but it seems like his game has exploded recently and he is the complete package now. Offense, defense, physicality, puck-moving, leadership, skating... easily the best Norwegian player after 2 games imo. We'll see if he keeps it up.
Against pro men & NHLers too, higher level than the World Juniors. Ill be interested to see how he holds up against the stronger teams later in the group stage and how much his draft stock rises. Reinbacher had a similar showing with Austria last year and it all but solidified his place in the top 10.

Reactions: Realgud

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Loved Solberg’s game at the WJC. Caught the game against Czechia at the WC’s and was blown away.

This kid has a very intriguing size/skill/skating combo. Ceiling is sky high, not sure there will be a better player available for the Blues pick at 16th OA in the 2024 draft…

Reactions: WeThreeKings

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Loved Solberg’s game at the WJC. Caught the game against Czechia at the WC’s and was blown away.

This kid has a very intriguing size/skill/skating combo. Ceiling is sky high, not sure there will be a better player available for the Blues pick at 16th OA in the 2024 draft…
He is my first choice for wings at 15

Seider Edvinsson
Solberg ASP

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
My final draft rankings will be out soon, and Solberg really jumped up my rankings. I think he’ll be the top Norwegian drafted and has top-4 written all over him. I have seen a switch flip on after the WJC where he had a horrendous event if I must be blunt. Since then though, he has been tremendous, his decision making has been excellent, he has gotten super comfortable against men in Norway and really started to take over games. Simply put, he is one of the most improved players in the second half of the season.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My final draft rankings will be out soon, and Solberg really jumped up my rankings. I think he’ll be the top Norwegian drafted and has top-4 written all over him. I have seen a switch flip on after the WJC where he had a horrendous event if I must be blunt. Since then though, he has been tremendous, his decision making has been excellent, he has gotten super comfortable against men in Norway and really started to take over games. Simply put, he is one of the most improved players in the second half of the season.

I actually thought he had a good event until he was obviously run down and exhausted. Most of the brutal errors he did commit (and he did have some terrible blunders, which is what I believe you're referring to) but he was playing an insane amount of ice time.

If they had the ability to manage his minutes better at the WJC he might have come out looking even better.

I love this kid, he's the playoff style defender every team wants.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I actually thought he had a good event until he was obviously run down and exhausted. Most of the brutal errors he did commit (and he did have some terrible blunders, which is what I believe you're referring to) but he was playing an insane amount of ice time.

If they had the ability to manage his minutes better at the WJC he might have come out looking even better.

I love this kid, he's the playoff style defender every team wants.
I recall him looking good at times and others he looked really rough. But he also averaged over 25 min/game. 25 min/game is doable in the NHL but the international games seem to go at a faster pace. Less/shorter tv timeouts so I could certainly see why exhaustion could at least partially explain his uneven play.

As could Norway’s team was just a mess this year. Or maybe I’m just trying to come up with explanations for his uneven WJC with what I’m seeing now. Because what I’m seeing now is quite impressive for an 18 year old d-man.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I recall him looking good at times and others he looked really rough. But he also averaged over 25 min/game. 25 min/game is doable in the NHL but the international games seem to go at a faster pace. Less/shorter tv timeouts so I could certainly see why exhaustion could at least partially explain his uneven play.

As could Norway’s team was just a mess this year. Or maybe I’m just trying to come up with explanations for his uneven WJC with what I’m seeing now. Because what I’m seeing now is quite impressive for an 18 year old d-man.

I think it was more that they had a very heavy schedule, like the back to backs, playing 25+ minutes and if you see him he hasn't really learned to manage his energy levels so he goes hard for the entirety of his shift.

That lead to sloppy puck play and brutal turnovers. I think you can find a reason why he had some moments like that in that situation vs just having poor hockey sense like Charlie Elick demonstrates with the puck on his stick.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
You can see his good hockey sense, he is a clear outlier on the backend for Norway in that regard. I think evaluating him in the WC situation is challenging though. Unique situation and role, but very good to see him running with it. I haven’t personally seen enough of his play to make a statement beyond he impressed me and the potential seems to be there.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Yesterday was my first time seeing him, waw. How is hot top 15 in this draft?

Draft seems to be loaded with high end defenseman. I'd imagine playing in Norway as opposed to Sweden or North America has given some pause as to how his game will translate.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad