Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Soli Stinks, and Yak Yakking His Way Out, Mod Post #642

Status
Not open for further replies.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Hall/RNH/Eberle have played with nothing but garbage for their entire careers.

Yes that garbage has been changed around a lot, but it has only ever been replaced with different, similarly foul smelling garbage.

I think 2 of them need to go, but not because they are losers or other such folly, simply because we have to fill the hole at RHD somehow.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
David Backes, C
- RHS, leadership, offense, size, grit, flexibility, and costs only money. Where do I sign? He's a big pricetag, so moving out salary would have to happen, but adding him would be a no-brainer, even at 31.

Okposo, RW, FA,
- A lot of the same qualities as Backes, with the exception of being able to play C. Adding him only makes sense if we have a deal in place for Eberle and/or Yakupov. I like the player, but not as much as Backes, and bringing him in would have to be under more specific circumstances. Paying that big price is a little harder to justify on a FA winger than a player who can play C too.

Lucic, LW, FA
- Depends on the price. He's a little more one-dimensional than the first two names on this list, and isn't likely to come any cheaper. They all have question marks about their bodies holding up in the long term, but he's still young. But him being a LW and LHS reduces my interest a bit (the latter more than the former). Again, I do like the player though.

Andrew Ladd, LW, FA
- Basically the same situation as Lucic for me, and I'd be more worried about term with Ladd. Good player, but doesn't fill a need, and isn't the best use of cap space.

E. staal, C, FA
- He reminds me a lot of Brad Richards in that his salary has always been near the max allowable under the cap, but rarely did much to justify it. He's going on reputation and will probably be one of the worst FA buys in the league this year. I don't want the team saddled with his albatross deal to be us. Pass.

Jagr, RW, FA
- In the zombie apocalypse, the only people left alive will be Jaromir Jagr and people that look like Jaromir Jagr. This guy is going to play until he's 100. I'd easily add him if he was willing to come for a year or two.

Yandle, D, FA
Even though he's a LHD and plays the left side, I don't think we're in a position defensively to turn our noses up at any capable defenseman. We also don't have any Dmen that excel on the powerplay, so he'd definitely be of use to us.

Eriksson, RW, FA
- One way or another, it appears we'll be needing to add a forward to play the right side. Maybe we get this in the draft via Finland, but we could do a lot worse than Eriksson. Depends on cost (FA players come with FA contracts) and what other moves we make. Not a priority or a need in our current situation.

B. Campbell, D, FA
- Fills a need (if on the wrong side), but is a little long in the tooth and is sure to cost a lot. Ultimately, I think I'm passing here.

Rusell, D, FA
- Flames were wise to move on. Overrated and soon to be overpaid.

Hudler, C/RW, FA
- Not a need, and definitely not the best use of cap space for us.

Vrbata, RW, FA
Could do worse, but I don't think he'd be interested. He'd be a stop-gap anyway until we found something better/more permanent. Pass

W. Simmons, RW, PHI
- Can't see the Flyers wanting to move him (unless I missed something), which means he'd take an enormous asset cost to acquire. Love the player and the fit, but don't see how we make it work.

Fowler, D, ANA
- Undecided. Haven't noticed much from him in the few games we played them, but he has the reputation of a puck mover and good on the powerplay. If any of those things are reality, then he could be worth a look, but I'll suspect he'll cost too much in assets to justify the add in the one position we have a surplus in (young LD). Then we'd just need to get Henrique out of NJ and we can have the whole Windsor MC gang together again.

Vatenen, D, ANA
- Love the player and the fit, but wonder about the cost. Still, he's worth a pretty big price, so I would absolutely see what it would take.

Zibanejad, OTT
- Decent player, but not a big enough upgrade to justify pursuing. If he was a FA, I'd be interested, but adding him means sending value the other way.

Turris, OTT
- Ditto.

Hoffman, OTT
- Like the player, and if his contract demands are reasonable, I'd definitely look at it.

Ceci, D, OTT
- I must be missing the news out of Ottawa (aside from they're bad this year), because it seems you have a lot

Weircioch, D, OTT
- Never understood the infatuation around Oiler Country with this player. I'd look in many other places to fix the D before turning to Weircioch to solve anything.

Lazar, OTT
- Again, what? Is he on the block? Good player, obvious connection to the Oilers, and seems like a great guy to have in the lockerroom, but he's not a priority. I'd have to think they'd only move him because of what they could get for him. Are we desperate to add another C/LW?

Hartnell, CLB
- Once upon a time, I would've been for it. Now he's just an aging PF with a bad contract. No thanks.

Drouin, TB
- Not interested

Hamhuis, D, FA
- Maybe a few years ago, but not anymore.

Stempniak, FA
- He's older, but shouldn't cost much and has actually managed to remain a fairly effective player. He'd be a decent short-term addition.

P.A. Parenteau, FA
- Not unless other moves were made

Brodin, D, MIN
- No thanks. Too high an asset price, and isn't as good as his reputation (at least on HF)

Schlemko, FA
- If we don't re-sign Gryba, it would be a decent 6/7D add.

Z. Michalek, D, PHX
- I've always liked him, and would be ok bringing him in for his final year if we decide to trade Fayne, but his NTC might make it a moot point anyway.

Connor Murphy, D, PHX
- No thanks. Adding more youth to the defense doesn't interest me.

Stone, D, PHX

Hamonic, D, NYI
- Pretty much the ideal fit. Like Vatanen, he'd cost a hefty price, but he's also worth it. Great contract too.

Burrows, VAN
- Zero interest. Absolutely none.

Brouwer, RW STL
- He's a FA, no? If the price was right, he fits the need. I'd look at it for sure.

Trouba, D, WPG
- He definitely seems like a good piece to add, but I would question why he's available in the first place. If he's asking for more than he's worth, is it wise to pay it and also give up significant assets to do so?

Shattenkirk, D, STL
- Getting the guy we hoped we'd one day have in Schultz would be great. Good on the powerplay. He checks a lot of boxes, but what's the ask?

Stamkos, C, FA
- I'm of the mind that if you have an opportunity to add an elite player in his prime, you do it. Yes, I'd be interested in Stamkos.

Erik Johnson, D, COL
- Yes, absolutely. Why, is he available?

Lecavelier, C/RW, LA
- It's one thing to rejuvenate your career on a contending team in a complementary role. It's another to do it on a basement dweller. This is Doug Weight in Carolina. Not Doug Weight in his early years of St. Louis. No thanks.

Jackman, D, NSH
- No thanks. Like the player type, but not the 35 year old version of the player.

R. Ellis, D, NSH
- Fills a need in some respects, but Nashville won't give him away. I'd look elsewhere first, but he's not a bad backup plan.

Hjalmarsson, D, CHI
- Does he waive his NTC to come here? I'd love to find out.

Chara, D, BOS
- OK, maybe Jagr and Chara. I know he's old, and I know he's expensive, but at almost 40 years old, the man still gets it done. I'd bring him in all day. He's just one of those players who makes everyone else better.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Hall/RNH/Eberle have played with nothing but garbage for their entire careers.

Yes that garbage has been changed around a lot, but it has only ever been replaced with different, similarly foul smelling garbage.

I think 2 of them need to go, but not because they are losers or other such folly, simply because we have to fill the hole at RHD somehow.
Unfortunately they are the poster boys for a losing franchise. I would only trade RNH and that is simply because he is a smallish top six center and we currently have better depth there. I would want Trouba or Hamonic for RNH.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Here's the defense last game.

Sekera-Fayne
Reinhart-Oesterle
Nurse-Pardy

One top-4 NHL defensemen (Sekera). The rest is just noise.

How many of those guys should be in the AHL? Reinhart/Nuse/Oesterle, both Fayne and Pardy were waived.

That's not an NHL defense, which is why stuff like "taking nights off" and whatnot is just meaningless.

On Saturday night Calgary dressed more NHL d-men than we've fielded in total in the last six years. I don't think that's an exaggeration.

Get a defense, get rid of useless bottom six players like Korpikoski and take away McLellan's food every time he plays Hendricks/Letestu/Pakarinen more than 4th line minutes. That stuff actually matters.

:nod::handclap:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
so, how do we get a good Dcorp? that's the big conundrum. the last 3 years have proven we can't improve it by trading buttons.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
so, how do we get a good Dcorp? that's the big conundrum. the last 3 years have proven we can't improve it by trading buttons.

The looming expansion draft could help the Oilers actually, a lot of teams that have 3 or more good d-men may be looking to move one this summer while they can still get value rather than get handcuffed at the deadline next year.

For whatever reason this year seems to be a bumper crop in available d-men too ... last year the best d-man available to us was Sekera. Hamilton was available and we were all over that but Boston obviously had a stick up their rear ends about Chiarelli.

This year though Hamonic, Vatanen, Campbell, Shattenkirk, Brodin, Trouba, and several others look to be available and guys like Demers too.

So that could be fortitutous for us.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Trade Nurse for Hamonic. Sign Demers. Hey look, the D's better.

It doesn't have to be those specific moves, but it shows that there's moves to make that don't involve trading off the core.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

It doesn't have to be those specific moves, but it shows that there's moves to make that don't involve trading off the core.

Nurse is more of a core player than Eberle or RNH in my mind going forward.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Wouldn't you rather trade from a position of strength (forward) for D?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Could you imagine if we went into the season with the following top 9...

Lucic - McDavid - Jagr
Maroon - Draisaitl - Eriksson
Pouliot - Backes - Kassian

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Nurse is more of a core player than Eberle or RNH in my mind going forward.

Nurse has done nothing to merit that designation. Anyway I was just answering the question of how you fix the team without trading a forward.

Wouldn't you rather trade from a position of strength (forward) for D?

If you don't have to, no. Doesn't mean you can't trade them one of those guys in a different deal.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nurse has done nothing to merit that designation. Anyway I was just answering the question of how you fix the team without trading a forward.

If you don't have to, no. Doesn't mean you can't trade them one of those guys in a different deal.
So you'd RATHER trade D for D than forward for D? That makes no sense to me.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016

Agreed. Some excellent posts I can't disagree with at all, Young Lions.

I'm fine with moving Eberle as replacing a RW is much easier than a top LW or C if they move RNH. I'm pretty against moving RNH because I'm skeptical what Draisaitl looks like not attached to Hall.

I don't see how Nurse is a core player, especially compared to Hall/RNH. Both proved they're arguably top-liners who can play against the leagues best. Nurse hasn't proved he's an NHL player.

I'd move Nurse for Hamonic pretty easily. Hamonic is a top-pairing guy, while there's no guarantee Nurse gets there. Even if he does, how long is that? Definitely not next year, 2 years minimum? 3? After this long you can't wait that long on the *chance* Nurse is a top-pairing guy with McDavid here.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
So you'd RATHER trade D for D than forward for D? That makes no sense to me.

Here's the LH D depth chart:
Klef
Sekera
Davidson
Nurse

And here's the right hand side:

latest

So you're taking a guy who has a long way to go to becoming an impact defender and swapping him for a plug and play player that fills an obvious hole in the backend. Seems like a no brainer to me.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Dave Bolland is not an NHL player. Giving up a high 2nd for him? I dunno what some people are thinking.

Last I checked he's a cup winner, physical, 2-way centerman who would be ideal in a 3rd line role. Only downside is his cap hit of 5.5. Get that reduced to Pouliot-money and I would easily give up our Pitlick/Moroz/Musil early 2nd draft pick.

Has something major happened since he signed that contract with FLA that I'm unaware with? Injuries?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Good luck grabbing Faulk for less than drai + nuge + nurse

With the emergence of Slavin, Hanafin, and Pesce I could see a possibility of him being trade. The chances are extremely slim, but still the possibility is there.
Slavin, Pesce, Hanafin, Wisniewski and Fleury and Murphy wouldn't be the worst D-core to have.
edit: Plus the longly speculated rumours of him being unhappy in Carolina.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Last I checked he's a cup winner, physical, 2-way centerman who would be ideal in a 3rd line role. Only downside is his cap hit of 5.5. Get that reduced to Pouliot-money and I would easily give up our Pitlick/Moroz/Musil early 2nd draft pick.

Has something major happened since he signed that contract with FLA that I'm unaware with? Injuries?

So was Mike Richards. Panthers are planning to buy him out and he's been healthy scratched a bunch to protect him from getting hurt.

He's not an NHL player anymore. Age and injuries killed any talent he had.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
With the emergence of Slavin, Hanafin, and Pesce I could see a possibility of him being trade. The chances are extremely slim, but still the possibility is there.
Slavin, Pesce, Hanafin, Wisniewski and Fleury and Murphy wouldn't be the worst D-core to have.
edit: Plus the longly speculated rumours of him being unhappy in Carolina.

This is literally the first I've heard of this.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I wouldn't mind seeing Yak for a Leo Komarov or Yannick Hansen type player. I don't know why Chia would want to add another young player with potential for him as reports have indicated.

Also has everyone written off Lander at this point or do you see a role for him on next years team?

He's a 24 year old with 3 points in 60 games as a 5th year pro. I'll bet he's back in Sweden when his contract runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad