Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Soli Stinks, and Yak Yakking His Way Out, Mod Post #642

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Hall/RNH/Eberle have played with nothing but garbage for their entire careers.

Yes that garbage has been changed around a lot, but it has only ever been replaced with different, similarly foul smelling garbage.

I think 2 of them need to go, but not because they are losers or other such folly, simply because we have to fill the hole at RHD somehow.

Some of that garbage has been replaced with players like McDavid, Draisaitl, Maroon, Pouliot, etc
It's time for Hall and Nuge to live up to their potential. I left Eberle out of it because he has exceeded expectations for a late round pick

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
so, how do we get a good Dcorp? that's the big conundrum. the last 3 years have proven we can't improve it by trading buttons.

How is 2 years of Mactavish fumbling around proof of anything other than terrible GMs tend to be incapable of getting much of anything done?

Many Oiler fans made similar statements about getting size in the forward group. "We have to trade Hall or Eberle to get big 2nd and 3rd line wingers!" they claimed. Declaring similar logic that no one was going to give up big, physical players for mid round draft picks and salary dumps, and Chia proved them wrong within 6 months.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Exactly.

Nurse is currently a bottom pairing guy whose best case scenario is as a 3D.

How is that a core piece?

Because he's 21, a physical specimen and a defenceman. Noot to many all star defenceman at 21 years old. By the time he's 25 he will be a top pairing defenceman.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
I wouldnt trade RNH unless the return is that good. Look at cogliano who struggled with Oilers but doing well in Anaheim. Ive been a fan of Oilers since 2006 playoffs and I find fans tend to give up too quickly on struggling players and the return we get isnt that much better. Id wait it out with RNH until we dont have a choice (re-up LD n McDavif). I do admit that he needs a better trainer cause his brothers obviously isnt doing the job.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I wouldnt trade RNH unless the return is that good. Look at cogliano who struggled with Oilers but doing well in Anaheim. Ive been a fan of Oilers since 2006 playoffs and I find fans tend to give up too quickly on struggling players and the return we get isnt that much better. Id wait it out with RNH until we dont have a choice (re-up LD n McDavif). I do admit that he needs a better trainer cause his brothers obviously isnt doing the job.

Cogliano is playing the role the Oilers envisioned for him. But it took him getting to Anaheim to embrace it.

While he was with the MacT mentioned seeing him as a Todd Marchant type and he bristled at the suggestion because he believed he could be a scorer.

He needed a second opinion.

Right now, RNH is needed to shelter McDavid and LD.

It's creating a hole by plugging another hole.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Here is a dream for me.. Let's go.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Griffin Reinhart, Anton Slepyshev, 2017 1st, 2016 4th for Alex Pietrangelo, Jori Lehtera, 2016 7th

Taylor Hall, Jordan Oesterle, Mitch Moroz for Travis Hamonic, Andres Lee

Draft Patrick Laine

Trade Fayne and Korpikoski for picks

Sign Kyle Okposo, Anton Khudobin

Maroon(1.5) - McDavid(3) - Eberle(6) = 10.5
Pouliot(4) - Draisaitl(3) - Okposo(5.5) = 12.5
Laine(2.5) - Lehtera(4.75) - Lee (3.75) = 11
Hendricks(2) - Letestu(2) - Kassian(1.5)=5.5
Pakarainen(1)
Total = 40.5

Klefbom(4) - Pietrangelo(6.5) = 10.5
Sekera(5.5) - Hamonic(4) = 9.5
Davidson(1.5) - Gryba(1) = 2.5
Pardy(1)
Total = 23.5

Talbot(4)
Khudobin(2.5)
Total = 6.5

Grand Total.. 70.5 Mill

Give or take...

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
People are over thinking the rhd dman thing. Trading everything for at best #2 dman(ie, hamonic, not a superstar, has led his team to one playoff, plays in weak east) or shattenkirk. If u want to be bold. Trade 2017 1st rndr, Reinhart (address blues lhd), yak (replacement for Brouwer, paarjvi). Trade hamonic for Eberle even though it's an overpayment from oilers view. Islanders finally get a top line winger to help out taveres. Then sign guys like brouwer, ideally Backes as a Ufa. Draft with 2016 1st rounder, and leave in Europe or chl for at least a year, no need to rush another young player so the Oilers fans and media can tare apart in a few years.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
DO NOT move Nurse. #1 D are rarely available and none are on the horizon. Nurse has his flaws, but he undoubtedly has #1 potential. That doesn't mean he's assured that, but he at least has the tools to get that done. Maybe he'll develop like Bogosian, or maybe he'll be Weber. At this point we can't know.

We don't require a #1 D to win, but if we have a chance at one we better hold on to him for dear life.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wouldn't set an upper limit on Nurse yet. Very young and very raw still.

This is why it's hard to peg his top end but also hard to wager on him getting there. I think that we need to lower expectations on him and just let him develop into the best player that he can. He needs more mass to play a heavier game and to be even more intimidating than he can be at times this season. Hopefully he also works on his shot this offseason. The thing with Darnell is that he needs to work on his decision making and the time it takes him to make decisions. If he improves on the latter it maybe enough for him to take a big step forward. If he doesn't improve much in either of those areas then he'll never reach the potential that we drafted him to reach.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Nurse's biggest questions marks (at least from this season specifically) are his puck moving and his defense, which is basically everything you want your defensemen to succeed at.

I think it's a little bit unrealistic to say he has #1 potential. It's unlikely he's a big powerplay guy, I think the Greyhounds replaced him with DeAngelo there, and other than his skating, I don't see the huge upside everyone talks about.

I wonder how much of that is just from him being willing to fight dudes and whatnot. Sure, Nurse can work as hard as he want but it's hard to develop those parts of your game at this point.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
Here is a dream for me.. Let's go.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Griffin Reinhart, Anton Slepyshev, 2017 1st, 2016 4th for Alex Pietrangelo, Jori Lehtera, 2016 7th

Taylor Hall, Jordan Oesterle, Mitch Moroz for Travis Hamonic, Andres Lee

Draft Patrick Laine

Trade Fayne and Korpikoski for picks

Sign Kyle Okposo, Anton Khudobin

Maroon(1.5) - McDavid(3) - Eberle(6) = 10.5
Pouliot(4) - Draisaitl(3) - Okposo(5.5) = 12.5
Laine(2.5) - Lehtera(4.75) - Lee (3.75) = 11
Hendricks(2) - Letestu(2) - Kassian(1.5)=5.5
Pakarainen(1)
Total = 40.5

Klefbom(4) - Pietrangelo(6.5) = 10.5
Sekera(5.5) - Hamonic(4) = 9.5
Davidson(1.5) - Gryba(1) = 2.5
Pardy(1)
Total = 23.5

Talbot(4)
Khudobin(2.5)
Total = 6.5

Grand Total.. 70.5 Mill

Give or take...

Pardy over Nurse?

Or are you tagging him for the A next year until he's ready to take over for Gryba?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Pardy over Nurse?

Or are you tagging him for the A next year until he's ready to take over for Gryba?
Absolutely.
Nurse needs some time down there and he can come up when completely ready.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
DO NOT move Nurse. #1 D are rarely available and none are on the horizon. Nurse has his flaws, but he undoubtedly has #1 potential. That doesn't mean he's assured that, but he at least has the tools to get that done. Maybe he'll develop like Bogosian, or maybe he'll be Weber. At this point we can't know.

We don't require a #1 D to win, but if we have a chance at one we better hold on to him for dear life.

Undoubtedly? I have many doubts. I will be flat out stunned if Nurse becomes a #1 d-man. He has as much hockey sense as Nail Yakupov. Zero hockey IQ.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nurse's biggest questions marks (at least from this season specifically) are his puck moving and his defense, which is basically everything you want your defensemen to succeed at.

I think it's a little bit unrealistic to say he has #1 potential. It's unlikely he's a big powerplay guy, I think the Greyhounds replaced him with DeAngelo there, and other than his skating, I don't see the huge upside everyone talks about.

I wonder how much of that is just from him being willing to fight dudes and whatnot. Sure, Nurse can work as hard as he want but it's hard to develop those parts of your game at this point.

Nurse has always been extremely strong at holding territory whether it be clearing the crease or fighting in the corners. He's also a very strong skater with a good shot. A lot of his poor positioning and puck handling can be chalked up to his youthful exuberance. He can even be an elite passer, and we've seen that from him when he's had more space to work with. He's not finding it in the NHL but in time that can come.

He's very young and will fill out to be one of the most intimidating players in the whole league.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nurse has always been extremely strong at holding territory whether it be clearing the crease or fighting in the corners. He's also a very strong skater with a good shot. A lot of his poor positioning and puck handling can be chalked up to his youthful exuberance. He can even be an elite passer, and we've seen that from him when he's had more space to work with. He's not finding it in the NHL but in time that can come.

He's very young and will fill out to be one of the most intimidating players in the whole league.

Neither of the bold are remotely true.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Neither of the bold are remotely true.

I would dial back the word 'elite' I just wrote, but he was absolutely elite in that regard compared to his peers in his pre-NHL time. In particular he was a big standout in the WJC when he was playing with high end talent and not having to carry his team. In Soo he definitely had to be their best player all the time.

As for his shot, that's a very hard thing to quantify. When can get it off cleanly, it is very good. That can describe a lot of people with limited offense, but Nurse will be the type to own his territory on the line and will have the skating to back that up. At any rate, I highly doubt Chiarelli would be interested in dealing Nurse so we'll be seeing the final verdict on this during the years to come.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I see a lot of Pronger in Nurse. Pronger never really started putting up points until his 7th year in the league and he was never really a big goal scorer. Once Nurse matures I think we will see some 40+ point seasons from him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I would dial back the word 'elite' I just wrote, but he was absolutely elite in that regard compared to his peers in his pre-NHL time. In particular he was a big standout in the WJC when he was playing with high end talent and not having to carry his team. In Soo he definitely had to be their best player all the time.

As for his shot, that's a very hard thing to quantify. When can get it off cleanly, it is very good. That can describe a lot of people with limited offense, but Nurse will be the type to own his territory on the line and will have the skating to back that up. At any rate, I highly doubt Chiarelli would be interested in dealing Nurse so we'll be seeing the final verdict on this during the years to come.

His passing was elite in the WJC? The tournament where he had one assist?

I have not once seen Nurse threaten with his shot from the blue line. Literally not once. The only time it happened was in what... his first or second game? When he got a goal off a deflection coming off the defenders stick.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I see a lot of Pronger in Nurse. Pronger never really started putting up points until his 7th year in the league and he was never really a big goal scorer. Once Nurse matures I think we will see some 40+ point seasons from him.

Pronger put up 30 points as a rookie straight out of the draft.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Pronger put up 30 points as a rookie straight out of the draft.

Yeah this is an absolutely atrocious comparison. The only thing Nurse does better than Pronger is skate. Pronger was significantly better at everything else. I hope to god I never hear this comparison raised again. Ludicrous.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Exactly.

Nurse is currently a bottom pairing guy whose best case scenario is as a 3D.

How is that a core piece?

i'm not even sure nurse ends up as a good #3.... he has almost zero offence, or offensive instincts, to his game... nurse, if everything breaks correctly, will be a good 2nd pairing shutdown guy, nothing more

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

no, he doesn't

how many true #1 dmen out there are as offensively inept as nurse is? we're talking about a guy who will be lucky to ever score more than 25 points... how is that a #1 dman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille