Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Post Deadline, Trades For Next Season and Beyond If/When We are Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Would anyone consider moving sekera and a pick (2nd maybe) For Hamilton?

Carolina has history with sekera, and a few young guys that may benefit from sekeras mentoring and experience, and he's also a better stabilizing force on the back end imo, while still being not totally inept offensively.

We give up the better all around dman, for a younger dman who can score from the back, and will likely still be a solid top 4 dman after his contract is up, and Carolina gets rid of Hamilton which they're rumored to want to do, without crippling the back end, save a bit of cap hit, and are only on the hook for the same term as Hamilton.

I may be way out to lunch here, but it's just an idea that popped into my head.
I don't think they touch that unless it's our first at the very least. As good as Sekera has been since coming back I don't think other teams see him as a positive value.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I don't think they touch that unless it's our first at the very least. As good as Sekera has been since coming back I don't think other teams see him as a positive value.
Yeah, that's what I figure as well, but I don't think they'll be getting a top 4 dman in return without taking some sort of risk.

It depends on how badly they want him gone, and whether or not they'd rather risk sekera slowing down, or take a surefire lesser player in return with maybe another asset.

If they want anything but futures though (which I assume they'd rather have immediate help next season to improve the team for playoff runs) they're going to be getting a lesser player in return imo.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

Carolina has history with sekera, and a few young guys that may benefit from sekeras mentoring and experience, and he's also a better stabilizing force on the back end imo, while still being not totally inept offensively.

We give up the better all around dman, for a younger dman who can score from the back, and will likely still be a solid top 4 dman after his contract is up, and Carolina gets rid of Hamilton which they're rumored to want to do, without crippling the back end, save a bit of cap hit, and are only on the hook for the same term as Hamilton.

sorry. they do no touch that with a ten foot pole. If you want Hamilton the ask would be build around maybe our 2020 first and Yamamoto. Not a broken down D and a 2nd

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
sorry. they do no touch that with a ten foot pole. If you want Hamilton the ask would be build around maybe our 2020 first and Yamamoto. Not a broken down D and a 2nd

Yeah, that may be true. Im probably overestimating how much his value drops for the apparent baggage he brings along.

On that note though, I'd absolutely trade our first next year with some adds for him, I just figured sekera would be more valuable to them now instead of a first that's a few years away.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Thing is, Russell can play 2nd pairing RD in a pinch. Something Sekera, Jones and Bear can't do.
Sekera can play either side, IMO his fall-off from playing his off-side is lower than everyone on the team outside of Russell, the foundation of Russell's game is laying on the ice blocking shots/passes so it makes sense that it doesn't matter much which side he does it on. A close to healthy Sekera playing on his off-side or otherwise outclasses Russell, better puck movement on the back end helps whats ailing this team so much and Sekera is certainly better in that regard.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
People are going crazy for UFA college free agents.. none of them have turned into anything great impact wise (Schultz and Wheeler were draft picks)
Just off the top of my head Brian Rafalski and Dan Boyle were undrafted College UFA's both top pairing d-men and Mark Giordano was an undrafted CHL free agent. A lot of hyped free agents end up being disappointments, but I assure you there is some gold in there on occasion and its a topic worthy of discussion and I don't blame people for getting excited.

I don't know what the success rate for these guys is, but the top 5 or so college free agents seem to turn out about as often as your average 2nd round pick would.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Just off the top of my head Brian Rafalski and Dan Boyle were undrafted College UFA's both top pairing d-men and Mark Giordano was an undrafted CHL free agent. A lot of hyped free agents end up being disappointments, but I assure you there is some gold in there on occasion and its a topic worthy of discussion and I don't blame people for getting excited.

I don't know what the success rate for these guys is, but the top 5 or so college free agents seem to turn out about as often as your average 2nd round pick would.
Adam Oates, Ed Belfour, Tyler Bozak, Andy Greene, Torey Krug, Danny Dekeyser, Drake Caggiula

They are worth giving a shot. Even if it's a Drake Caggiula it's free.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Dustin Penner - Undrafted by any NHL team, in 2004, Penner signed with Anaheim after playing college hockey at the University of Maine.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Adam Oates, Ed Belfour, Tyler Bozak, Andy Greene, Torey Krug, Danny Dekeyser, Drake Caggiula

They are worth giving a shot. Even if it's a Drake Caggiula it's free.
2017-18 Alums in the NHL - College Hockey, Inc.

I found this list for 17-18

Some names on there Sheary, Kunitz, Garrison, Read, Pionk, Talbot, Beagle etc... Doesn't appear to have guys like Schultz that were drafted and went on to sign as UFA's under the FA column either

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I would, but I don't know why Carolina would. They'd save 1.5mil a year in real dollars, but I don't think they are that desperate to move Hamilton

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
2017-18 Alums in the NHL - College Hockey, Inc.

I found this list for 17-18

Some names on there Sheary, Kunitz, Garrison, Read, Pionk, Talbot, Beagle etc... Doesn't appear to have guys like Schultz that were drafted and went on to sign as UFA's under the FA column either
Nice find.. Also has Nate Schmidt, Chris Tanev, Brandon Tanev, Carter Hutton, Trevor Van Riemsdyk.. a lot of solid players.

The Bruins have been very successful lately with Krug, Acciari, Czarnik, Schaller, K. Miller..

Wonder how much of that was Gretzky?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nice find.. Also has Nate Schmidt, Chris Tanev, Brandon Tanev, Carter Hutton, Trevor Van Riemsdyk.. a lot of solid players.

The Bruins have been very successful lately with Krug, Acciari, Czarnik, Schaller, K. Miller..

Wonder how much of that was Gretzky?
Probably Peter. Maybe it was his niche skill.

Seriously though, I don't know why people don't want to go after these free agents. We are a team that lacks depth, you can find a lot of depth players this route and for free.

Personally it seems that more and more guys are going the USHL/NCAA route. You have to think with more higher end prospects going there that the league is probably developing some stronger less know players. Might be time to really put a focus on it and try get the inside edge on some of these guys. Unfortunately, a lot of American teams already are doing this. For a team like Boston not hard to have their GM watching Boston College or Boston University, two colleges that had roughly 40 NHLers in 17-18. Plus whatever other colleges/universities that are close to them or playing there.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I can't see Carolina being interested in that at all.

1) Sekera refused to sign in Carolina in the first place so why would he waive a NTC to come there now? (15 teams).
2) Sekera can't stay healthy. Can't see the Canes taking that risk, nor wanting him.
3) Canes have Slavin, DeHann, Fleury, and Bean in the system on the LHD side. Sekera is not a need at all. The younger Canes D (Slavin, Pesce, TVR, etc..) don't need a mentor.
4) Canes don't "want to get rid of Hamilton". They have 3 Top 4 RHD with Faulk, Pesce, and Hamilton so they were listening to offers for all 3 of them. Doesn't mean they want to get rid of them.

Hamilton is playing great right now, fills a need (scoring from the back end), is on the top pairing with Slavin, and from all accounts is fitting in very well in the locker room. This is said to be the tightest dressing room the team has had in ages and the guys are having fun and like playing for each other.

If the Canes do trade a RHD, I would guess it would be Faulk and I think they'd want a forward in return. Taking a D back makes no sense.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Friedman says we may not be getting Luke Philp.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
Friedman with the usual top notch reporting. "The Oilers may not get Luke Philp but they also may get him" Thanks Elliot

What happened to him? He used to be legitimately informative. Now he spouts nothing.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Friedman with the usual top notch reporting. "The Oilers may not get Luke Philp but they also may get him" Thanks Elliot

It is unclear if crosby was asked but reports indicate he would decline a trade to the oilers. Ots worth noting the oilers lack of a winning culture as the main issie.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What happened to him? He used to be legitimately informative. Now he spouts nothing.

I don't know, he used to be one of my favorites now right up there with Bobby Mac but now he's just another Dreger. He just says a bunch of stuff without actually saying much at all.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
there is rumors that keith gretzky could become the next gm of the oilers, but also rumbling that he may not.

Reactions: North

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This one is worded like he has a source.

He usually beats around the bush on a lot of stuff and provides his opinion. I like how he speculates often. It provides him with a lot of content in a job where there honestly isn't a ton of it. But as a source, you generally have to take what he says with a grain of salt, which is why he rarely puts his credibility on the line.

Here's the whole section of the article.

31 Thoughts: Oilers GM search leaving no stone unturned - Sportsnet.ca

19. There were a ton of teams chasing Princeton’s Max Veronneau, but they knew Ottawa was serious when GM Pierre Dorion skipped seeing the Senators in Boston last Saturday to watch the winger’s final college game, a 6-5 triple-overtime loss to Brown.
Clarkson and Yale meet this weekend. After Veronneau, the most-watched NCAA player is the Golden Knights’ Nico Sturm, with New Jersey and Vancouver among the contenders. If the Bulldogs lose, leading scorer Joe Snively will end his college career and make a decision. Others looking for more of an edge will be watching the nation’s penalty-minute leader, Bowling Green’s Lukas Craggs, who also scored 13 goals.

20. North of the border, CHL players are free to sign at any time. Last Saturday, Sportsnet’s Sam Cosentino waxed poetic about WHL Lethbridge’s Jake Elmer, who has scored in 15 of the last 16 games. A Dec. 31 birthday can be a big disadvantage, but Elmer’s worked hard to overcome that, and Cosentino is under the impression he’ll be signed. Another young player working hard towards the next level is OHL London’s Kevin Hancock, traded earlier this season from Owen Sound. Approaching 300 career regular-season points, he’ll have to start in the AHL, but this is not someone afraid of a challenge.

21. Luke Philp is expected to be named Canadian University Player of the Year at the national championship, contested this weekend in Lethbridge, Alta. The Alberta Golden Bear is going to get a shot. Doesn’t sound like it will be with the Oilers.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
This one is worded like he has a source.

He usually beats around the bush on a lot of stuff and provides his opinion. I like how he speculates often. It provides him with a lot of content in a job where there honestly isn't a ton of it. But as a source, you generally have to take what he says with a grain of salt, which is why he rarely puts his credibility on the line.

Here's the whole section of the article.

31 Thoughts: Oilers GM search leaving no stone unturned - Sportsnet.ca

We’ll find out soon enough.

Nico Sturm is the one I want but no guarantee we get him either.

Reactions: belair

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Bob McKenzie just said on NBCSN that the Oilers don't have permission to speak with all the candidates on their list (he said there was 8-10 names on it). Likely have to wait until the playoffs are over to speak with assistant GMs on playoff teams (e.g., McCrimmon), if they want to wait that long.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
Bob McKenzie just said on NBCSN that the Oilers don't have permission to speak with all the candidates on their list (he said there was 8-10 names on it). Likely have to wait until the playoffs are over to speak with assistant GMs on playoff teams (e.g., McCrimmon), if they want to wait that long.
This makes sense, look at the NFL...it’s a complete gong show with teams poaching coaches and other staff after the season ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad