Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Post Deadline, Trades For Next Season and Beyond If/When We are Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Honestly, I would say Schultz and Vesey. Other than that, and we're going way back to Chia's Boston days, Torey Krug.

If we're discounting players who were drafted, chose not to sign and then signed out of college, Krug is the only one of any significance I can think of in past memory.
Justin Schultz was a drafted player though

Danny Dekeyser was a big deal back in the day too

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Chiasson isn't a top 6 player. He's a 4th line winger who had a hot streak with McDavid for 30 games.
Yeah, I would have thought that at the beginning of the year as well, but I've seen a more effective player then that throughout this season, even when not playing with McDavid.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Honestly, I would say Schultz and Vesey. Other than that, and we're going way back to Chia's Boston days, Torey Krug.

If we're discounting players who were drafted, chose not to sign and then signed out of college, Krug is the only one of any significance I can think of in past memory.

Vesey and Schultz were reasonably high draft picks before they went into the NCAA.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Who was the last consequential college free-agent signing? This is not a rhetorical question. I'm genuinely curious.
Around here? Drake Caggiula. Vancouver seems to be utilizing Troy Stecher quite a bit. Austin Czarnik was a pretty highly sought-after UFA this past summer, settling in Calgary.

It's pretty rare for them to end up as game breaking talents, considering they're undrafted players in their early-to-mid twenties. They're simply NHL-ready depth that teams that lack the prospect depth to utilize can fill the void for a year or two. Free ELCs.

Reactions: Aerrol

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I didn't realize Krug was a UFA. That's an extremely good pick-up for a team who didn't have to give up anything. The only guy I could think of off the top of my head was Bozak. These college UFAs are such unlikely hits.

They are just so popular because there is nothing to be spent but $$ by acquiring them. No draft picks, no assets. You just throw a dart at the board and hope it sticks. Very rarely ever happens. Like I said, players who've never been drafted, Torey Krug is the only one of significance unless I am missing something.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Wasn't Kevin Hayes an NCAA free agent signing?

He's had a good career so far and was just traded for a pretty big haul.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Veronneau's best opportunity to play in the NHL is with Ottawa. Plus he's from there. I see that being his destination.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Bob Stauffer just said that Veronneau is not coming to Edmonton, fyi.

I'll be bummed out if we can't sign one of Kuffner, Philp, or Hirose. The only players guaranteed spots in the top 6 are McDavid, Drai, and Nuge... so it's pretty wide open. That being said Bakersfield is fairly deep as it is + McLeod, Maksimov, and possibly Safin (unless he plays in junior one more year) joining the forward ranks.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'd rather have a group of strong prospects on a winning team. Either way, those extra prospects wouldn't be in the lineup at the expense of the players I listed.

Maybe. But, we have lots coming to the team next year. Maksimov, Safin, Persson, Bouchard, maybe Berglund, Samorukov. Don't forget that Benson is most likely staying there along with Hebig, etc. Not going to be enough room for everyone

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Maybe. But, we have lots coming to the team next year. Maksimov, Safin, Persson, Bouchard, maybe Berglund, Samorukov. Don't forget that Benson is most likely staying there along with Hebig, etc. Not going to be enough room for everyone

The defense is for sure crowded. I'll add McLeod to the list of forwards because he is AHL eligible next season and will be there. There will be some forwards down there on their way out after this season too. The other thing is, the drafting was so poor for so long that it really necessitated signing some good free agents.

Reactions: Aerrol and KYams17

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The defense is for sure crowded. I'll add McLeod to the list of forwards because he is AHL eligible next season and will be there. There will be some forwards down there on their way out after this season too. The other thing is, the drafting was so poor for so long that it really necessitated signing some good free agents.

Benson - Marody - Yamamoto
XXXX - Gambardella - Currie
Safin - McLeod - Hebig
Polei - XXXX - Maksimov

Things are looking a bit tight down there next season. There's the off chance someone from the top line pushes for an opening night spot, but this is more or less what things are looking like up front in Bakersfield next fall.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Yeah, in terms of players who were never drafted, Krug. That's pretty much it from the last decade.

Neal Pionk, Frank Vatrano, Evan Rodrigues, Troy Stecher, Jordan Oesterle, Trevor van Riemsdyk, Phoenix Copley, Chad Ruhwedel, Nate Schmidt, Danny Dekeyser, Tim Schaller, Chris Tanev, etc.

There are tons of undrafted players that come out of the NCAA and end up NHL regulars. Obviously there isn’t a ton of top line talent, but it’s certainly not a waste of time. And guys like Tanev and Schmidt are like #3 dmen, so there are some pretty impactful players

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Duszak to Toronto, Veronneau to Ottawa, Teves to Vancouver and Kuffner to Detroit.

Hope we go all in on Sturm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad