Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Perry? Neal? Eriksson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
RHD are hard to come by too. I don't think I'd even deal Khaira straight up for Brown given the intangibles Khaira has. I think he might have a bit more offense that will emerge in the next few years. I'd probably do Benning and Khaira with a mid round pick for Kapanen though.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I know his brain is mush, but I agree with Matheson on the whole Lucic thing. I'm having a hard time trying to convince myself why the Oilers should give up anything of value in a Lucic/Eriksson trade.

The buyouts both seem terrible, and by the time the expansion draft is relevant, it might be a non-issue anyway. Lucic doesn't have a whole lot of reason not to waive.

I just don't see the point when the only benefit is three years down the road.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
RHD are hard to come by too. I don't think I'd even deal Khaira straight up for Brown given the intangibles Khaira has. I think he might have a bit more offense that will emerge in the next few years. I'd probably do Benning and Khaira with a mid round pick for Kapanen though.

What?

Reactions: TKB21

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I know his brain is mush, but I agree with Matheson on the whole Lucic thing. I'm having a hard time trying to convince myself why the Oilers should give up anything of value in a Lucic/Eriksson trade.

The buyouts both seem terrible, and by the time the expansion draft is relevant, it might be a non-issue anyway. Lucic doesn't have a whole lot of reason not to waive.

I think you do this if the plan is to then move Eriksson. His deal after July 1 has only $9M left on it. That makes him tradable to a budget team almost right away. Lucic will have $16M left and that extra year. It's a lo harder to find a way to make the money work for a team that is budget conscious.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think you do this if the plan is to then move Eriksson. His deal after July 1 has only $9M left on it. That makes him tradable to a budget team almost right away. Lucic will have $16M left and that extra year. It's a lo harder to find a way to make the money work for a team that is budget conscious.

This makes sense.

I think sometimes I forget that we now have a GM that is capable of being creative and not always taking the most obvious and easiest route out of a problem.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Only caveat on this is that it seems as though Lucic doesn’t want to be here. If that becomes a distraction maybe you take the deal and live with it. I know he needs to be a professional and suck it up but I’m not convinced he will. Good post.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Could a Lucic/Eriksson swap be expanded into a bigger deal?

Lucic/8th/Puljujarvi for Eriksson/10th/Virtanen

Who would add?

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Everyone has been pretty harsh on lucid and I get it for what he has done or more so hasn't done. But he still is human. I love lucic and admit loved him when he was on the Bruins. He is a far cry from those days lately but why is everyone writing him off?

I for one would like to give him a shot under new Management and coaching staff. He never was gonna put up 30 goals but if he could put up 15-20 and get 50 points while being physical he looks a hell of a lot better.

I esp don't want to trade him for other teams unwated luggage

Reactions: Louis Cypher

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I'm a big Khaira fan. If he's on his game I feel he can have a big impact. Brown is a fairly vanilla player. I'd prefer Khaira in a bottom 6 role as he can fill in at center in a pinch.
Those three goals were a big impact... I can’t believe you wouldn’t do that. JJ doesn’t even really play PHYSICAL.

Brown any day of the year over JJ.

Reactions: Darkwinter

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Doesnt Eriksson have a NTC?

What happens to that clause once its waived? Is it gone or does the NTC apply to the new team also?

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
Those three goals were a big impact... I can’t believe you wouldn’t do that. JJ doesn’t even really play PHYSICAL.

Brown any day of the year over JJ.

Yeah I don't know how you can make an argument for Khaira over Brown. Sure Khaira is a better center than Brown, but he's still not very good at it. I'd consider both of them wingers. The difference is that Brown is consistently a 30 point guy, scores more goals, and was also one of Toronto's top PKers this season.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Well they both suck and Lucic wants out.

1 for 1 I don't understand why any oilers fans would be opposed yet many are based on the belief that Lucic will magically get better or turn into a beast in the playoffs.

As far a sweeteners I agree, I wouldn't add anything of value. If they want Puljujarvi maybe you add Virtanen or Juolevi from their side.

A junk player and a bust risk from each side, beyond that I'd just let Lucic rot in Edmonton. He can suck it up and figure it out because there's no point in harming the team to do him a favor.

Everyone has been pretty harsh on lucid and I get it for what he has done or more so hasn't done. But he still is human. I love lucic and admit loved him when he was on the Bruins. He is a far cry from those days lately but why is everyone writing him off?

I for one would like to give him a shot under new Management and coaching staff. He never was gonna put up 30 goals but if he could put up 15-20 and get 50 points while being physical he looks a hell of a lot better.

If he could get 50 points and play physical hockey consistently no one would complain about him. But he's been an Oiler for 3 years and there's nothing to indicate he's going to suddenly start doing either of those things.

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

People write him off because he flat out doesn't want to be here. With all the rumors about requesting a trade since last off season coupled with his Vancouver radio interview....does it sound like he wants to be an Oiler?

If he doesn't want to be here, then GTFO

Reactions: Darkwinter

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
People write him off because he flat out doesn't want to be here. With all the rumors about requesting a trade since last off season coupled with his Vancouver radio interview....does it sound like he wants to be an Oiler?

If he doesn't want to be here, then GTFO
I dont think its true he doesnt want to be here.

He goes on vacation and visits oilers like Drai in europe and such.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I say we just run Lucic for 40 minutes a night through preseason and the first 9 games and see if that gets his conditioning back to where it should be. Maybe he will get pissed off and retire or something. Just put him out there any time the McDavid Draisaitl line is off the ice so he doesnt weigh them down. I would literally do this but i guess no one likes me and i should go eat worms

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah I don't know how you can make an argument for Khaira over Brown. Sure Khaira is a better center than Brown, but he's still not very good at it. I'd consider both of them wingers. The difference is that Brown is consistently a 30 point guy, scores more goals, and was also one of Toronto's top PKers this season.
Khaira is a dirt cheap energy winger who can play center, fight and can PK. The moment he has one good offensive campaign under his belt, his trade value will skyrocket.

I agree Connor Brown is a player who would be better utilized here, but there's a deal there that doesn't require us parting with JJ. Benning leaving is fine.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The last 31 thoughts podcast Elliotte Friedman mentioned the rumored Connor Brown deal as being him for both Matthew Benning and Jujhar Khaira. First time I've heard that version of it.

I'm not confident we come out ahead in that deal. Khaira still has some untapped potential IMO.

Hard pass on that deal. Either Benning or Khaira by themselves is fair, let alone both. Might have to add a 3rd or 4th rounder with Khaira. Got to remember, that the Leafs are in cap trouble, they aren't going to get "deals".

Reactions: belair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad