Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Perry? Neal? Eriksson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Oilers GM Holland weighing options ahead of first draft with Edmonton - Sportsnet.ca

Not sure if the above article was posted or not, apologies if so. If not, Holland said this:

"Short-term we’re going to try the best we can to make the bottom-6 (forward group) a little bit different and try to get another goalie," he said. "We’re going to try to be competitive for a playoff spot in 2019-20."

"The young players that we already have need to be part of the solution."

Reactions: oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Oilers GM Holland weighing options ahead of first draft with Edmonton - Sportsnet.ca

Not sure if the above article was posted or not, apologies if so. If not, Holland said this:

"Short-term we’re going to try the best we can to make the bottom-6 (forward group) a little bit different and try to get another goalie," he said. "We’re going to try to be competitive for a playoff spot in 2019-20."

Bottom 6 that isn't total unplayable garbage that never scores and you feel will kill you any given shift would definitely be nice :)

Too cap strapped to do anything huge, but definitely makes sense for that to be the place to try to make an incremental improvement to at least be in the fight for a playoff spot. It was a total disaster last season.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Well that bodes well for not moving a prospect to move Lucic (I think)...doesn't mention the D but I'd be surprised if they don't try and find room for Jones on the bottom pair...I'd be nervous if my name was Brodziak, Cave, Khaira or Gagner.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Bottom 6 that isn't total unplayable garbage that never scores and you feel will kill you any given shift would definitely be nice :)

Too cap strapped to do anything huge, but definitely makes sense for that to be the place to try to make an incremental improvement to at least be in the fight for a playoff spot. It was a total disaster last season.

Lucic finished the season in the bottom 6, right? I was so tuned out by season's end, I was only watching to see Drai hit 50.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Lucic finished the season in the bottom 6, right? I was so tuned out by season's end, I was only watching to see Drai hit 50.

I was barely watching too honestly. But I did enjoy following the stats of that run of a 2+ months where 95%+ of our goals had a point from at least one of Mcdavid, Drai or Nuge. Less enjoyment from how we were running a handful of guys into the ground.

Think Lucic had a run on the 4th line in the last month or so, but ended up higher in the lineup during the total garbage time. Maybe to give him a chance to at least show something going into the summer.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Well that bodes well for not moving a prospect to move Lucic (I think)...doesn't mention the D but I'd be surprised if they don't try and find room for Jones on the bottom pair...I'd be nervous if my name was Brodziak, Cave, Khaira or Gagner.

I'm not the biggest fan of RNH but he does need to be kept for next season. I think that quote should remove his name from trade proposals, but I doubt it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Here is Holland's answer in The Athletic when asked about his summer shopping list:

I’ve gotta sign another goaltender to go with (Mikko) Koskinen. If you look at our defence, we have seven defencemen on one-way contracts (Nurse, Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson, Kris Russell, Matt Benning, Andrej Sekera and Brandon Manning). So, I’m not looking to add anything on defence. I’m hoping that we can have a little better luck with injuries to our defence.

When you look up front, I’ve gotta try to build the bottom six. We’ve gotta do some work up front on our forward lines. I don’t have a ton of cap space, but I’ve got some cap space. We signed (Joakim) Nygard out of Sweden. He was second in the league in goals. He fast and plays with pace. We’re gonna continue to look to see if we can sign a player or two here.

We’ve gotta find some cheaper players that contribute whether it’s through entry level or they’re free agents that have been playing pro and bouncing around or are Europeans like Nygard.
Earlier in the interview he is asked if he's considering buying out any players and he says he is.

Reactions: frag2

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Is it me or does holland have fat fingers?

giphy.gif

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Here is Holland's answer in The Athletic when asked about his summer shopping list:

Earlier in the interview he is asked if he's considering buying out any players and he says he is.

Outside of goalie, he really doesn't tip his hand too much in regards to needs. Likely a good thing.

I'm still expecting to see both Manning and Benning traded though.

Manning as a pure cap dump, like him + 4th for a 7th type deal; And Benning traded for an upgrade.

In my opinion, the best approach for the Oil is to get as strong a top 6 defence as possible, and then let the kids battle it out for the 7 spot.

For example, trade Benning +2nd/3rd for Vatanen/Green/Faulk (basically someone with a bit more offensive flare). Leaves you with...

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Vatanen/Green/Faulk
Sekera-Russell

Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Day, Bouchard and Samorukov can all rotate though the 7 spot every few games.

This way you've got 6 guys you can trust to play top 4 minutes (enough to insulate against injuries), and you let the kids all get a taste of an NHL practice.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Better answers than Chia's bullshit
-were good enough
-we just need to compete harder

Or the best
-we aren't a slow team. We just don't play fast

Wtf?

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah I don't know how you can make an argument for Khaira over Brown. Sure Khaira is a better center than Brown, but he's still not very good at it. I'd consider both of them wingers. The difference is that Brown is consistently a 30 point guy, scores more goals, and was also one of Toronto's top PKers this season.
I this is true why would Toronto trade him? Save a small amount of money?

Khaira takes too many days off for my liking. Might just have been last year which seemed to suck the life out of most of the team.

Keep him and see if the new year makes a difference.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Khaira takes too many days off for my liking. Might just have been last year which seemed to suck the life out of most of the team.

Khaira's inconsistent, but I'm willing to bet on him; Especially when he's a good candidate to out-preform his next contract. Remember this was a guy with 8 points in 10 games playing with Nuge and Puljujarvi, before getting suspended and injuried before new years. There is a player here.

In my head, he ideally ends up on the 3rd line with Gagner and Puljujarvi, and absorbs Lucic's minutes and role after he's traded.

Expanding on that idea, if you're asking me to build an ideal (and realistic) top 9, I've got both Kassian and Khaira there. Although both are crap when asked to drive the play themselves, they have both shown that they can be effective third wheels, who add a nice dash of physical play and work in the dirty areas to scoring lines.

Chiasson, Maroon, and even Cagguila are/were the same ilk of player: Can complement skill, but will be invisible by themselves. You need some players like this to succeed, but you can't load up on them. In my view, 2 is the perfect number.
Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
_____-RNH-____
Khaira-Gagner-_____
Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
_____-RNH-____
Khaira-Gagner-_____

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
My trade I would make and I am sure Vancouver would be happy with this ..
McDavid @50%
8 oa
Nurse...cap dump.

Vancouver
Eriksson
5th round pick

Im, sure there is something to work with hear but I am sure Vancouver fans think this trade favor Edmonton so please let us know if we need to add any more

and I am sorry if I offended you Vancouver fans with such a low ball offer from us

Side note ...I have never seen so many f***up trades offers as I have in the last few days . I use to think Vancouver fans new hockey but my God was I wrong

Last edited:

destro909

Jan 3, 2008

I agree, I don't know why Toronto would trade Brown for Khaira, the cap savings would be minimal. A Brown for Benning deal makes a lot more sense from their point of view.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Him saying he is considering buying out players don't really say much to me. He is a good GM so he will always be weighing all options.

Him saying he doesn't intend on adding anything on defense does have my slightly worried. Although at the same time it could be him knowing what he has in Bakersfield, knows the absolute lack of capspace and that the forwards are a bigger issue. That said it also shows he isn't wanting to downgrade the defense for the forwards which is a good sign.

It'll be very interesting at what happens. Holland is known for making little to know trades. He does maybe 1-2 trades a season. Although in 2017 he did 7 trades in the calendar year but they were all selling trades.

So really any of us expecting Holland to make a bunch of trades to right the ship, will be let down.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Him saying he is considering buying out players don't really say much to me. He is a good GM so he will always be weighing all options.

Him saying he doesn't intend on adding anything on defense does have my slightly worried. Although at the same time it could be him knowing what he has in Bakersfield, knows the absolute lack of capspace and that the forwards are a bigger issue. That said it also shows he isn't wanting to downgrade the defense for the forwards which is a good sign.

It'll be very interesting at what happens. Holland is known for making little to know trades. He does maybe 1-2 trades a season. Although in 2017 he did 7 trades in the calendar year but they were all selling trades.

So really any of us expecting Holland to make a bunch of trades to right the ship, will be let down.

Detroit’s situation was different, where they drafted so well for so long that shipping out players just for the sake of a shake up was never a need. He was quite active in few agency though, so he’s not adverse to acquiring new players year to year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Detroit’s situation was different, where they drafted so well for so long that shipping out players just for the sake of a shake up was never a need. He was quite active in few agency though, so he’s not adverse to acquiring new players year to year.
Oh 100% but he has never been a very active GM.

I mean he could be but it has never been something he has really done so it would be a massive change for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad