Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Perry? Neal? Eriksson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Rather just keep Lucic than trade him for

Perry, Neal or Eriksson. Neal could bounce back. Maybe tippett can get more out of Lucic or use him better.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Perry, Neal and Eriksson? God help us, not one decent player has been rumored to the Oilers.

At least the rumor mills are being realistic for once. Who was the last useful player the Oilers acquired through trade? Ryan Strome (while giving up Eberle)? :laugh:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The last 31 thoughts podcast Elliotte Friedman mentioned the rumored Connor Brown deal as being him for both Matthew Benning and Jujhar Khaira. First time I've heard that version of it.

I'm not confident we come out ahead in that deal. Khaira still has some untapped potential IMO.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
In the previous thread, someone asked if there was an example of a player waiving to get dealt but his new team failed to honor the clause.

I thought Poile did that with Subban and he did. According to cap friendly, Subban's clause is no longer in effect. I'm sure Subban knew of this so he wasn't blindsided and still waived for the Preds.

That said, it's pretty rare for a new team not to keep an acquired player's NMC or NTC in effect as Subban is the only one I can recall in recent history.
Subban was traded before the NMC kicked in. He never waived it. Thats not the same as Lucic who has a NMC clause already activated.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Basically the way it always works out is if they are traded before it kicks in the team never honours it because why would they saddle themselves with a clause if they don’t have to?

If they are traded after it’s kicked in the player has all the power and will simply not waive if they don’t sign the addendum to have it transfer with them so it moves with them always.

I'm a total dumbass...I misread the part in the link I posted as the acquiring club had to notify the player, the NHL and NHLPA in writing whether they were going to still honor the clause or not honor it...but it's for honoring it alone.

Kind of a kick in the nads for Subban, to he honest. He negotiated that in with the Habs and they agreed to it in goid faith then they deal him before it comes into effect. At the end of the day, Poile may not have been automatically bound to it but still had the option of honoring and chose not to do so.

I'm surprised the NHLPA agreed to this wording (or kept it that way) in the last CBA talks.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Subban was traded before the NMC kicked in. He never waived it. Thats not the same as Lucic who has a NMC clause already activated.

Yep, I recall that as being the case. The point of discussion was if any team did not honor a clause for a player after the player waived to go there. I thought Poile decided not to honor the clause, despite Subban being traded before it came into effect...see my reply to Messier11 above this one as I misinterpreted the CBA wording.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
The last 31 thoughts podcast Elliotte Friedman mentioned the rumored Connor Brown deal as being him for both Matthew Benning and Jujhar Khaira. First time I've heard that version of it.

That would be terrible value. Hopefully it's just something the pre-Holland braintrust thought was a good idea.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I'm not confident we come out ahead in that deal. Khaira still has some untapped potential IMO.

I wonder if that was because of the cap at the time.

Not sure they could have added $200k going from Benning to Brown.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
I know it isn't the NBA and one player can't really win a stanley cup by himself.... I also know the Oilers won't be the favourites next year and I honestly don't count on much improvements..

But if there is one player able to win the cup all by himself, he wears number 97. So even though even the rumours are depressing, the Oilers only need to get in the playoffs and (especially after this unpredictable playoffs) there is always a chance with a healthy McDavid.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I’d take Perry. Always liked his game. He’s a player who knows where the front of the net is, and isn’t too wimpy to go there. Do the Oilers have any of those?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

I don't think he meant that it would have cost both. When I listened to it, I understood it as both players being mentioned as trade options for Brown. His wording definitely could have been better.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I don't see any way Perry is an Oiler next year (but that I'd want him anyways, unless it's a straight swap for Lucic).

He won't waive his NMC to facilitate a trade, and why should he? If the Ducks buy him out, he'll get his buyout and be able to choose his next team.

Per multiple reports, Perry has already waived his NMC. Obviously, we don't know the details of the wavier - it could just be for specific teams. He might not waive and try to force a buyout - the ducks can just make him the 13th forward and scratch him. Not ideal - and it appears both sides are trying to avoid that type of scenario.

Oilers wouldnt be going after Perry if the idea is to create cap space.

It would just be Larsson(ANA) for Sekera.

Trading Sekera for Perry 50% retained does save salary cap for Edm. It also reallocates cap from defense to forward (and in the ducks case, vice-versa which is the goal).

No interest in trading Larrson for Sekera - the Ducks only want/need Sekera as the price for offloading Perry with the added benefit of adding a short terms d-man who can play as a 4-5. Ducks don't have a tone of defensive depth and going forward Larrson has a lot of potential.

If we are trading Sekera to open up cap space, why would we trade him for Corey Perry? Even if the Ducks retain 50%, and they wouldn’t, it doesn’t gain us much cap space at all.

As noted above, you're re-allocating between offense and defense. If the point is to acquire better wingers, then this type of trade meets that objective for Edmonton. That being said, I can understand why Edm might want to keep Sekera or pursue other cap reducing options.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Per multiple reports, Perry has already waived his NMC. Obviously, we don't know the details of the wavier - it could just be for specific teams. He might not waive and try to force a buyout - the ducks can just make him the 13th forward and scratch him. Not ideal - and it appears both sides are trying to avoid that type of scenario.

Trading Sekera for Perry 50% retained does save salary cap for Edm. It also reallocates cap from defense to forward (and in the ducks case, vice-versa which is the goal).

No interest in trading Larrson for Sekera - the Ducks only want/need Sekera as the price for offloading Perry with the added benefit of adding a short terms d-man who can play as a 4-5. Ducks don't have a tone of defensive depth and going forward Larrson has a lot of potential.

As noted above, you're re-allocating between offense and defense. If the point is to acquire better wingers, then this type of trade meets that objective for Edmonton. That being said, I can understand why Edm might want to keep Sekera or pursue other cap reducing options.
Trading a Dman who is still a very useful top 4 player for a player who isn’t good enough to play in the NHL regularly does the Oilers no favors. Also the Oilers are stacked with LHD.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Of the names rumoured there (and damn that's an ugly list), I'd personally lean towards Eriksson.

Of the 4 (including Lucic), he's the only one you could trust in a defensive role. Considering the Oil still have Khaira and Kassian for physicality, and will be losing Rieder, a half decent PK'er on the wing is the bigger need than a physical presence.

Plus considering they've got his old coach, I could see him fitting in easier.

I would take Neal or Perry, if Lucic is off the books. They probably still have more “upside” than Eriksson.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Of the names rumoured there (and damn that's an ugly list), I'd personally lean towards Eriksson.

Of the 4 (including Lucic), he's the only one you could trust in a defensive role. Considering the Oil still have Khaira and Kassian for physicality, and will be losing Rieder, a half decent PK'er on the wing is the bigger need than a physical presence.

Plus considering they've got his old coach, I could see him fitting in easier.
I think Eriksson is one the better PK players in the league tbh. He's lost so much of his other game though that I don't think he's worth any more than Lucic, or at the very best Lucic + symbolic asset...

That said, he is and was not happy with being played in a defensive role / toughest competition this season and has come out and said as much. He definitely seems to be looking to get out of Vancouver, but seeing his NTC I kind of assume he'd ask some questions about what role he's supposed to fill before waiving it.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Would Sekera waive for Anaheim though? His 15 team (15 that he would go to) NTC kicks in pretty soon.

With his history with Getzlaf, I wonder if he'd have Anaheim on his 15 team go-to list.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Honestly, I am not sure that I see Brown as a big improvement on Khaira if, and this is a big g if, Khaira plays like he can. I think he can be a 10-15 goal 25-30 point guy with some luck. Brown is more of a sure thing on the goal scoring side who could get you 15, but I don't think he gets much more than that if he's no playing with talent. JJ is much more flexible in that he can play every forward position.

One or the other is fine. But not both. Though I am less interested in Brown than I was mid year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad