Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Perry? Neal? Eriksson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
continue

Not related, just a player v player comparison. I would trade Lucic for Perry but no chance Anaheim does that.

It isn't too outlandish.

2 years for $15M of Perry.
4 years for $16M of Lucic.

Lucic is younger, healthier, arguably better and costs you close to half of what Perry does in actual dollars per year.

TBH, I don't think Lucic is "arguably better".

Perry had as many goals in 30 games as Lucic did in 80. He's coming off 49 and 53 point seasons.

He IS slow and that's not what the Oilers need, but if you can bargain basement him in the same way that Chicago bargain basemented Brad Richards after his big buyout, you do it. The problem is why wouldn't Corey Perry do that on a team that's closer.

What this team needs to get is better actually.

Problem is the term for Lucic and the NMC.

Id love to do something around Perry and Lucic, but with these teams its hard to even out contracts and value.

Lucic + Russell + 38th

For

Perry + Silvferberg ?

Ducks save money gain good pick, Oilers improve F. Probably a no go for Ducks.
Its tough to balance contracts and value, tough fit. They have 0 4 yr contracts and just a couple 5+. Maybe Henrique would be more palatable to them but the money is tight for Oil. Oh well.

Perry has a NMC too.

Lucic instead of Perry saves Anaheim $8M over the next two seasons. After that, they could likely move Lucic who would be set to make $6.5M over the last two years.

Seems like a good idea for Anaheim to me.

Question for people.

Can someone explain to me, why some teams love Duchene so much?

I mean I get that hes a center, hes a great skater, and overall hes a good hockey player. On average hes like a 60 point player (which is very valuable in the NHL), who at times seems like he has attitude problems? I know some players get overvalued because they won things, but Duchene has never done that.

Nugent Hopkins or similar types of players have similar production and it doesnt seem like people really gush about him. I am sure if RNH was going to UFA there would be teams interested, but Duchene already got a ransom from Ottawa, Columbus paid a pretty healthy price and from reports, it seems some teams are going to wait around the block to pay him as a UFA.

I mean I get it, hes a good player but I have never really understood the hype he seems to get. What am I missing? (or am I wrong)

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think Duchene fits that speed+skill mold that many are looking for these days. I do think he's been overhyped most of his career, never quite lived up to that hype, but he did have a good contract year, plus playoffs, and that should help him a lot now with his UFA contract.

We probably should be a bit worried about what he gets with regard to the cost to keep Nuge. Duchene's numbers likely drop once he gets his payday, so if he gets a high number, it's gonna be a perfect argument for the Nuge camp to use.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
There isn't a chance we're getting Perry for Lucic. They're not adding 2 more years of Lucic and having to protect him. Makes a lot more sense for Vancouver and Eriksson than Anaheim.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Why do people keep talking about teams won't take Lucic because of the expansion draft? Wouldn't it be logical for teams to ask him to waive it as part of the trade agreement?

I can't imagine he'll have any issue waiving, it's not like Seattle would want him.

That said I'd trade him for Perry, not really sure why they do it but as we saw with Chiarelli it just takes one sucker to get deals like that done.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

PuckNut

Oct 31, 2005
Edmonton
Why do people keep talking about teams won't take Lucic because of the expansion draft? Wouldn't it be logical for teams to ask him to waive it as part of the trade agreement?

I can't imagine he'll have any issue waiving, it's not like Seattle would want him.

That said I'd trade him for Perry, not really sure why they do it but as we saw with Chiarelli it just takes one sucker to get deals like that done.

I thought that after a NMC is waived it is no longer valid, however the team that receives that player can choose to honour it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd consider Perry at under $3m short-term. Still generates shots at a reasonable rate. Knows what he's doing on the PP. Good veteran guy for the bottom six.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
There isn't a chance we're getting Perry for Lucic. They're not adding 2 more years of Lucic and having to protect him. Makes a lot more sense for Vancouver and Eriksson than Anaheim.

We can add 5 more years of Henrique or Silfverberg to balance it out, and toss them a RD and a high pick. I dunno, I would explore all the possibilities around Perry before considering Eriksson.

Reactions: Messrules11

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I thought that after a NMC is waived it is no longer valid, however the team that receives that player can choose to honour it.
And if a player doesn't have the other team saying they will honour it, they just dont waive in the first place.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

95% of the GM's are not even considering the expansion draft right now when trying to better their teams. They didn't last time, they aren't now.

The expansion draft is entirely over hyped by the fanbase on how it affects GM decisions

Reactions: nturn06

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
And if a player doesn't have the other team saying they will honour it, they just dont waive in the first place.

In the previous thread, someone asked if there was an example of a player waiving to get dealt but his new team failed to honor the clause.

I thought Poile did that with Subban and he did. According to cap friendly, Subban's clause is no longer in effect. I'm sure Subban knew of this so he wasn't blindsided and still waived for the Preds.

That said, it's pretty rare for a new team not to keep an acquired player's NMC or NTC in effect as Subban is the only one I can recall in recent history.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
In the previous thread, someone asked if there was an example of a player waiving to get dealt but his new team failed to honor the clause.

I thought Poile did that with Subban and he did. According to cap friendly, Subban's clause is no longer in effect. I'm sure Subban knew of this so he wasn't blindsided and still waived for the Preds.

That said, it's pretty rare for a new team not to keep an acquired player's NMC or NTC in effect as Subban is the only one I can recall in recent history.
Subban was traded before his came into effect which is a different set of rules than if a guy waives it I believe.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Subbans only didn’t count because he was traded before it kicked in. In that situation the player has no control and the team can not honour it.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
People are going to lose their **** when Duchene signs for 10M a season.

cMt4SaY.jpg

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Time to get creative.

Lucic with $2M retained for Perry with $3M retained.

Lucic:
Year+/- Cap HitReal Dollars+/- Real Dollars
19/20+1.625M7M+4M
20/21+1.625M6M+2M
21/22-4M2M-3M
22/23-4M2M-2M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Perry:
Year+/- Cap HitReal Dollars+/- Real Dollars
19/20-1.625M4M-4M
20/21-1.625M5M-2M
21/22+4M3M+3M
22/23+4M2M+2M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I kept confusing myself, so I made it into a table haha.

The Oilers take on an extra $1.625M cap hit for two seasons and pay an extra $6M in salary to lose Lucic and gain $4M of cap space in year 3 and 4.

The Ducks save $6M during Perry's contract and are left with Lucic at a cap hit of $4M and a total salary of $5M for year 3 and 4.

Boom.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Subban was traded before his came into effect which is a different set of rules than if a guy waives it I believe.

Subbans only didn’t count because he was traded before it kicked in. In that situation the player has no control and the team can not honour it.

So that's the catch to it. Cap Friendly's footnote just says it wasn't honored after the trade (with the dates listed as well)...weird the acquiring team cannot honor it if the player is traded before its in effect.

Thanks for clarifying why it was not honored.

Edit: Not to muddy the waters, this article about the trade states Nashville still had the option of maintaining it or rescinding it. Poile rescinded it.
https://thehockeywriters.com/predators-wont-honour-p-k-subbans-no-movement-clause/

Last edited:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
If they buy out Perry ( which is a rumour), I’m curious too see what he could be signed for

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Perry would still have to waive to come here.. how likely is that to happen? He'd rather be bought out and have his choice of teams. Just a very unrealistic idea IMO.

Reactions: Faelko

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So that's the catch to it. Cap Friendly's footnote just says it wasn't honored after the trade (with the dates listed as well)...weird the acquiring team cannot honor it if the player is traded before its in effect.

Thanks for clarifying why it was not honored.

Edit: Not to muddy the waters, this article about the trade states Nashville still had the option of maintaining it or rescinding it. Poile rescinded it.
https://thehockeywriters.com/predators-wont-honour-p-k-subbans-no-movement-clause/
Basically the way it always works out is if they are traded before it kicks in the team never honours it because why would they saddle themselves with a clause if they don’t have to?

If they are traded after it’s kicked in the player has all the power and will simply not waive if they don’t sign the addendum to have it transfer with them so it moves with them always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->