Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Brouwer Bought Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If we were trying to move Looch you'd think that Chia had some plans on using some of the cap savings from such a deal. I wonder if any of the possible deals that he had on the table might still be available now that we'll have Sekera's LTIR space?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He is the highest paid player in the league and we shouldn't be trading him regardless. If the team stinks then change management and coaching.

what if McDavid holds out? Just saying--there is so much negativity from so many people--I disagree with those who think we will struggle to make the playoffs-- that if the oilers are as bad this year as they were last year--McDavid may just get fed up

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
what if McDavid holds out? Just saying--there is so much negativity from so many people--I disagree with those who think we will struggle to make the playoffs-- that if the oilers are as bad this year as they were last year--McDavid may just get fed up

Then he can play in the KHL and tarnish his legacy. Hard to win Art Ross' in Russia.

Reactions: The Nuge and A91

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

The question should be what happens if Mcdavid gets hurt? Does anyone really think this team isnt a bottom 5 team without him? Until we get a legit #1 dman who can put up points and control the pace of the game and more depth this team is going no where.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The question should be what happens if Mcdavid gets hurt? Does anyone really think this team isnt a bottom 5 team without him? Until we get a legit #1 dman who can put up points and control the pace of the game and more depth this team is going no where.

We get that player only if we trade Drai. As is we potentially have such a player in our system in Bouchard. The depth is on its way via our prospect pool.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Play in Russia and not ever be allowed to play for Team Canada either.

If Mcdavid wanted to be traded Bettman would step in. No chance he lets the best player on the planet go to the KHL. Or worse have a rival professional hockey league with no cap start up in NA, and claim him as their star asset.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
We get that player only if we trade Drai. As is we potentially have such a player in our system in Bouchard. The depth is on its way via our prospect pool.

Ive heard a lot about potential over the last decade. The fact is Bouchard has warts and he'll need to develop to overcome them. He shouldnt be playing in the NHL for 2 more years minimum. Although if developed properly he could be that star dman we're looking for. Also until our other prospects start showing anything we shouldnt be counting on them to fill in our depth. Most teams with a lot of depth have very successful AHL franchises. Bakersfield is a tire fire and has a long way to go. We're at minimum 4 years away from having the depth and potential dman we need if we wait strictly for our draft picks.

And Im not saying we have to trade Draisaitl to acquire that dman. Im saying we need that dman though if we want to win a cup. IMO Nurse+2019 1st should get us a pretty damn good dman. Add Sekera if need be to balance salary.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
1M, 1-way for Jerabek. There's your Sekera replacement. Hope abounds in our GM's little head.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
1M, 1-way for Jerabek. There's your Sekera replacement. Hope abounds in our GM's little head.

We didnt need a Sekera replacement though if Nurse was for sure to be signed...

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Bear/Bouchard
Gravel

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Do you understand how the salary cap works? Have a feeling you don’t, and where were we going to find a potential top 4 D this late in the off season

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
We didnt need a Sekera replacement though if Nurse was for sure to be signed...

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Bear/Bouchard
Gravel

I can't tell if you're messing with me right now. Bear/Bouchard/Gravel replacing Sekera?

Some posters seem to think that the injured Sekera of late last year is the baseline for his replacement, in which case Gravel or Bouchard or Bear or Jerabek might be adequate. But does it really need to be explained why this reasoning is flawed?

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Do you understand how the salary cap works? Have a feeling you don’t, and where were we going to find a potential top 4 D this late in the off season

Which one are you in this picture? Go easy on me, will ya?
the-last-thing-you-see-before-youre-argument-is-destroyed-34358940.png

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Some people just think you can trade for a guy like Faulk and then waive a magic wand when the team is ~$3M over the cap when Sekera returns.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Some people just think you can trade for a guy like Faulk and then waive a magic wand when the team is ~$3M over the cap when Sekera returns.

Wild card is how long he is gone for

We have no firm information

but if it is the ACL he could be gone 4 to 12 months depending on how sever it is

Journal says he will miss a min of 60 games

I could be mistaken but if he is out at deadline time the oilers can just shut him down for the year at that point in time and keep him on the LTIR

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Wild card is how long he is gone for

We have no firm information

but if it is the ACL he could be gone 4 to 12 months depending on how sever it is

Journal says he will miss a min of 60 games

I could be mistaken but if he is out at deadline time the oilers can just shut him down for the year at that point in time and keep him on the LTIR
even if he comes back after 60 games the cap hit is pro-rata so it would only be 1.47MM for the remainder of the season

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I can't tell if you're messing with me right now. Bear/Bouchard/Gravel replacing Sekera?

Some posters seem to think that the injured Sekera of late last year is the baseline for his replacement, in which case Gravel or Bouchard or Bear or Jerabek might be adequate. But does it really need to be explained why this reasoning is flawed?

Your kind of making my point. Jerabek in no way replaces a healthy Sekera. He does however help our depth in the event that Nurse doesnt sign.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Your kind of making my point. Jerabek in no way replaces a healthy Sekera. He does however help our depth in the event that Nurse doesnt sign.

Nurse signs.

2018-19 Sekera wasn't going to be able to replace 2016-17 Sekera.

This D corps won't be great, but it might be good enough to make the playoffs.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Nurse signs.

2018-19 Sekera wasn't going to be able to replace 2016-17 Sekera.

This D corps won't be great, but it might be good enough to make the playoffs.

Maybe not, but theres no doubt he would have been better then last year. He wasnt able to work out or train for 8 months prior to coming back mid season last year. People for some reason dont acknowledge this fact. Or dont understand how it takes time to get into game shape. He was looking a lot better at the WHC's despite a few blunders.

In saying that your most likely right Nurse is signed, but it's taking a long time. That can only mean that Nurse wants big money. If so I can see Chia cutting his losses and trading him. If Lowe was still the GM he'd already be gone.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
You could of just said you don’t understand how the salary cap works, but it’s quite clear you’re not here to have an adult conversation

Thanks, "McHockeyfan91," for your great example of how one adult talks to another, as demonstrated in your initial response to my post. And here I thought responding in kind was appropriate. Next time I'll show you the respect you deserve.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
So Davidson turns down a PTO

To bad the oilers did not like him as much as he likes them

You can’t really blame him. It’s likely his last chance to get a really good paycheque and advance his career in ways afterwards. All the very best to possibly one of the most ardent Oiler fans out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad