Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Brouwer Bought Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Thanks, "McHockeyfan91," for your great example of how one adult talks to another, as demonstrated in your initial response to my post. And here I thought responding in kind was appropriate. Next time I'll show you the respect you deserve.

And yet he was right ? Is he suppose to sugar coat it for you ? Do you think posting smart ass pictures is the adult way of talking ?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Correlating on-ice save percentage to defensive acumen doesn't really pass the smell test. Very often heavy minute defenders have worse on-ice save percentages than lesser defenseman in different roles.

For example, the two worst LA Kings in on-ice save percentage >50 games in 17-18 were Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar. Are they defensive tire fires?

If the contention is that Oscar Klefbom allows more higher danger scoring chances against, which lowers the expected save percentage of a goaltender, that correlation can be checked on.

Larsson: 3.76 high danger chances against/game
Nurse: 3.64 high danger chances against/game
Klefbom: 3.35 high danger chances against/game
Russell: 3.22 high danger chances against/game
Benning: 3.14 high danger chances against/game

My view on Oscar Klefbom is that he makes obvious errors which is understandably frustrating, but usually not a huge deal. Normally that's canceled out pretty well by the fact that the Oilers have been significantly more productive with him on the ice than without in almost all regards throughout his entire Oilers career. This past year not so much. Lots went wrong last year that I doubt continues to go wrong and that's pretty high on the list of things I think will be different.

Klefbom fails the eye test very very obviously defensively and outside of maybe a total of 82 games has ALWAYS failed the eye test very very obviously. A full on defensive defensman like Larsson is required to make up for his poor defensive play. As well as stellar goaltending.

It's not coincidence that when Klefbom has one of his painfully terrible brain farts the puck ends up in the back of our net. Its not bad luck/on ice save percentages. Its simple cause and effect.

He has shown the ability to play at a top 3 level defensively/offensively. But it's been very inconsistent and when he isn't there it's so obvious imo a blind man can see it.

Apologies for the rant but it drives me crazy that so many look past/make excuses for his often terrible play.

I want the guy to succeed. He has shown he can. But when he is failing just call it as it is. No reason to suger coat it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Based on what? The sample size was small but he was one of Montreals steadiest defenders even though (for the most part) he had garbage D partners like Benn.
I would suggest to you that its unlikely that he ends up back in the AHL based on what he showed in both the AHL and the NHL last season.
Stauffer called him a 6/7 so something tells me he'll be here for awhile.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I can’t believe the Davidson turns down PTO news hasn’t generated 600 posts on here yet given the major erection everyone on here has for that fringe player.....

Reactions: OilDrop37

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Correlating on-ice save percentage to defensive acumen doesn't really pass the smell test. Very often heavy minute defenders have worse on-ice save percentages than lesser defenseman in different roles.
Like anything you need context. Larsson and Klefbom shared the ice in 2016-17 at even strength the majority of the time yet the difference in on ice save % is substantial. With a guy like Larsson it’s no coincidence his goalies have ridiculously high save %’s consistently spanning different teams and different goalies.

Here’s Larssons even strength on ice save %’s last 5 years.

You think that’s a coincidence? Larsson is ridiculously good at defending. He limits chances against and it helps the goalies not get scored on.

Klefbom on the other hand often makes bad turnovers and bad reads in his own end. It’s not just chance his on ice save % is consistently worse than the rest of our top 4 D (exception of Sekera on one leg this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad