Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

If Brouwer would come cheap I’d do it.

You know he would play hard in the BOA and could maybe even slot up with 97.

No.

Guy is bad and makes everyone on the ice worse.

I would. He has a lot of pride and a lot to prove. He was poorly used in Calgary and really suffered from their complete lack of offensive forward depth.

I'd pass on Brouwer. Let's not forget his former coach is now an assistant with the Oilers. He'd likely still struggle under Mclellan's and Gulutzan's tutelage as GG would be in Mclellan's ear how to use him.

At $1m he'd be a very good buy low option. This guy eclipses 200 hits a year, plays all situations including being a prominent PKer and also happens to be quite proficient on the dot looking at his time in Washington. Swiss army knife type forward. You're reading too far into the opinions of Flames fans who are biased due to his paycheck.

I think every Flames player did better when they weren't playing with Brouwer.

Might as well play with Lucic

Sure. We’ve had the Kid Line and others with cute nicknames so this could be the Garbage Line. I’m only 57% kidding.

Yeah I agree Brouwer might be worth a look on the cheap, though I think he signs with Chicago or Washington if they have interest.

Edit: It also tells me the Flames are expecting are expecting Hanafin to be expensive, as well, my conspiracy thought is they're trying to get Price out of Montreal.

Price is just entering that huge cap with the big term and can't stay healthy at all, or so it seems. Mike Smith has started more games than Price has over the last four seasons...let Calgary have him :).

Brouwer Lucic on the same line is like multiplying two negatives together, it becomes a positive! That's how this works, right?

Not in sports. Two negatives multiplied to equal a disaster.

lmao so what he's going to come to the Oilers and succeed when the Oilers have just as bad forward depth?

I fell exactly the same way as you do.

I thought I read he'd be a UFA after 2 years. Not sure that is really ideal.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Brouwer is going to end up making similar money in what will probably be a way better situation.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Brouwer was expected to be a top 6 winger that created offense. That wouldn’t be the case here if he would sign cheap. That’s the difference between him signing in Calgary and here

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
for those saying Brouwer deserves a look where do we fit him in our line up? and under our cap?

There are four wild cards with the Oilers vs the Evil Cap Monster

we have about 4.9mill til we hit the cap

the wild cards are

1) Nurse's contract--somewhere between 3.5 to 4.5 is the guess
2-3-4) Pizza Boy, Yamamoto and Bouchard--we know Pizza Boy will be on the team--While Yams and Bouchard are on ELC--they do have built in bonuses-- lets pretend all three are on the team and they hit a few of their bonuses--factor in Nurse's contract we have no cap space quickly

other things to think about say if Yamamoto does not make the team--have the 14th FW position players sliding between Bako and Edmonton--use that at a two week look at different uni players we have signed over the past 2 season

we need to figure out just what we have in this uni players

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Brouwer was expected to be a top 6 winger that created offense. That wouldn’t be the case here if he would sign cheap. That’s the difference between him signing in Calgary and here

This is accurate for the wrong reason. The difference is that Calgary learned he sucks the hard way where as we would be signing Brouwer in spite of the fact that we already know that.

Hard pass.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This is accurate for the wrong reason. The difference is that Calgary learned he sucks the hard way where as we would be signing Brouwer in spite of the fact that we already know that.

Hard pass.

It’s all about the role you expect players to play.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He was a bad 4th liner last year. That would be ok because we pay him less?

He wasn’t played as a 4th liner last year.

Anyway it’s moot because we don’t have the cap space to sign anyone besides Nurse.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
He wasn’t played as a 4th liner last year.

Anyway it’s moot because we don’t have the cap space to sign anyone besides Nurse.

Any forward you sign at this point must come at the expense of another forward, meaning a ~800k signing would be moot to our cap.

That of course raises the question of who are you playing Brouwer over? The Oilers have no need for low-end forwards IMO.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I had my group of 6 forwards I wouldn't mind offering PTO's to...

Stajan
Bouma
Hansen signed in KHL
Read signed with Minnesota
Winnik
Hartnell

2 are already off the list... but there's still some decent options out there if the Oilers are looking to add a depth forward option for cheap.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What’s the deal with Versteeg? Healed? There might be some bitterness over him signing in Calgary, but I wouldn’t be opposed to another PTO

Any forward you sign at this point must come at the expense of another forward, meaning a ~800k signing would be moot to our cap.

That of course raises the question of who are you playing Brouwer over? The Oilers have no need for low-end forwards IMO.

I disagree. We have no need for low end forwards who can’t PK. Brouwer helps our abysmal PK.

In regards to where does he play, I wouldn’t object to

RNH - McDavid - Rattie/Pulju/Yamamoto
Lucic - Drai - Rieder
Khaira - Strome - Caggiula/Rattie/Pulju/Aberg
Brouwer - Brodziak - Kassian

Yamamoto is top 6 or AHL. Pulju goes down if he doesn’t earn one of the 2 spots. Rattie/Caggiula/Aberg can stick around as the 13th or 14th forward if they don’t make the lineup

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
People also need to remember that injuries ALWAYS happen as well... and what looks like a situation where there's no room can quickly become a need for bodies when a couple injuries pile up.

We're not talking high end options here either, so no harm in cheap signings or a PTO to increase training camp competition and if the roster is full... dumping a signed low end forward onto waivers is not a big deal, if they are picked off by another team... fine... if not then they are AHL talent until injuries arise again... (which they always do).

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
What’s the deal with Versteeg? Healed? There might be some bitterness over him signing in Calgary, but I wouldn’t be opposed to another PTO

Problem with Versteeg is that he's been fed strong ozone starts in his past few NHL seasons... and I think a player that doesn't depend so much on a strong offensive zone push would be a better option for a bottom 6 type of forward addition.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
for those saying Brouwer deserves a look where do we fit him in our line up? and under our cap?

There are four wild cards with the Oilers vs the Evil Cap Monster

we have about 4.9mill til we hit the cap

the wild cards are

1) Nurse's contract--somewhere between 3.5 to 4.5 is the guess
2-3-4) Pizza Boy, Yamamoto and Bouchard--we know Pizza Boy will be on the team--While Yams and Bouchard are on ELC--they do have built in bonuses-- lets pretend all three are on the team and they hit a few of their bonuses--factor in Nurse's contract we have no cap space quickly

other things to think about say if Yamamoto does not make the team--have the 14th FW position players sliding between Bako and Edmonton--use that at a two week look at different uni players we have signed over the past 2 season

we need to figure out just what we have in this uni players
If all 3 hit bonus' that even get close to putting us close to the cap, we are in the playoffs easily.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I would have guessed that Skinner's value wasn't overly high but I didn't think it was that low.

I actually think this is an okay deal for Carolina. Pu is a good prospect, and they get a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 6th. For a guy who will be a UFA in a year getting 4 assets is pretty decent. I would have preferred that for Eberle rather than Strome.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

RNH - McDavid - xxxx
Khaira - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Rieder
Caggiula - Brodziak - Kassian

Your answer: Aberg or Rattie. Both of whom shouldn't have roster spots guaranteed. My question looking at that depth chart: who are our veteran PKers?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Have to think Skinners not willing to sign an extension so it hurt his value. Basically paid the price for a rental.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
RNH - McDavid - xxxx
Khaira - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Rieder
Caggiula - Brodziak - Kassian

Your answer: Aberg or Rattie. Both of whom shouldn't have roster spots guaranteed. My question looking at that depth chart: who are our veteran PKers?
Rnh-brodziak
rieder-strome
Khaira-drai

With McDavid and kassian as an option as well. A player doesn’t need to be a 10 year get to kill penalties.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I personally think the Skinner trade hurt Carolina as his NMC basically did all the talking. Those saying they should have got a first forget that NMC's will always get in the way of a full value return

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I actually think this is an okay deal for Carolina. Pu is a good prospect, and they get a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 6th. For a guy who will be a UFA in a year getting 4 assets is pretty decent. I would have preferred that for Eberle rather than Strome.

Yeah. I like Pu. Nice size and skating. Couple of ~85 point OHL seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad