Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Brouwer Bought Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You can’t really blame him. It’s likely his last chance to get a really good paycheque and advance his career in ways afterwards. All the very best to possibly one of the most ardent Oiler fans out there.
Guys that can't make the Oilers defense or the Canadiens defense shouldn't be rejecting PTO's at this time of year.

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Your kind of making my point. Jerabek in no way replaces a healthy Sekera. He does however help our depth in the event that Nurse doesnt sign.
The Oilers signed Jerebek for organizational depth. It's not to replace anyone.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
So Davidson turns down a PTO

To bad the oilers did not like him as much as he likes them

Too bad nobody likes him as much as he likes himself. :)

In saying that your most likely right Nurse is signed, but it's taking a long time. That can only mean that Nurse wants big money. If so I can see Chia cutting his losses and trading him. If Lowe was still the GM he'd already be gone.

Not sure if a trade makes sense. Nurse has signed his QO. Don't think it has gotten to the point where he will be willing to hold out.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Gravel-Russell
Jerabek-Bouchard

Lowe-Bear
Jones-Persson
Lagesson-Berglund
Samorukov-Mantha
Stanton-Kemp
Niemelainen-Marino

Even without Sekera, that's probably better D depth than this org has had in many, many years.

All of Jerabek, Gravel, Bear, Jones, Persson, Lagesson, Berglund have bottom pairing upside at a minimum.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Davidson has his pride, it has to be kinda embarrassing in a way to be dumped by the same team twice and then come crawling back on a PTO. I can't really fault Davidson, he can get a PTO from probably a couple of other teams.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Davidson has his pride, it has to be kinda embarrassing in a way to be dumped by the same team twice and then come crawling back on a PTO. I can't really fault Davidson, he can get a PTO from probably a couple of other teams.
You're applying a lot of your personal narrative to this in a way that absolutely doesn't exist.

He does, he also wants a contract, and I don't blame him. The team isn't crawling back to him, they offered a PTO and he declined.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Too bad nobody likes him as much as he likes himself. :)

Not sure if a trade makes sense. Nurse has signed his QO. Don't think it has gotten to the point where he will be willing to hold out.

Nurse hasnt signed his QO, the Oilers simply extended a QO to him to keep his rights. If he had signed it he would have been for 1 year at around 875k.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Guys that can't make the Oilers defense or the Canadiens defense shouldn't be rejecting PTO's at this time of year.

Meh. He made the Oilers defence numerous times and looked decent on the Island as well. If he’s got a shot at a contract, I wouldn’t mess that up for a PTO either

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Some people just think you can trade for a guy like Faulk and then waive a magic wand when the team is ~$3M over the cap when Sekera returns.

I think the beef is more with him not finding that Dman before the Sekera injury in addition to him failing to address the same issue last offseason. Not that I personally expected anything.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
My mistake. Thanks.

Did it expire?

Most likely, unless the Oilers extended it. Oilers still retain his rights though, just now he can't just fall back on the 1 year deal. If he doesnt sign for what the teams offering or sign an offer sheet, he wont be playing.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Gravel-Russell
Jerabek-Bouchard

Lowe-Bear
Jones-Persson
Lagesson-Berglund
Samorukov-Mantha
Stanton-Kemp
Niemelainen-Marino

Even without Sekera, that's probably better D depth than this org has had in many, many years.

All of Jerabek, Gravel, Bear, Jones, Persson, Lagesson, Berglund have bottom pairing upside at a minimum.

Depth wise your right it’s not bad, it’s all 4-6 defenseman just like the oilers have tried to go into every season for the last decade like. If Klef/Larsson don’t rebound in a big way this year I don’t see any true top 3 defensemen in that defense

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ive heard a lot about potential over the last decade. The fact is Bouchard has warts and he'll need to develop to overcome them. He shouldnt be playing in the NHL for 2 more years minimum. Although if developed properly he could be that star dman we're looking for. Also until our other prospects start showing anything we shouldnt be counting on them to fill in our depth. Most teams with a lot of depth have very successful AHL franchises. Bakersfield is a tire fire and has a long way to go. We're at minimum 4 years away from having the depth and potential dman we need if we wait strictly for our draft picks.

And Im not saying we have to trade Draisaitl to acquire that dman. Im saying we need that dman though if we want to win a cup. IMO Nurse+2019 1st should get us a pretty damn good dman. Add Sekera if need be to balance salary.

Yes we all have. The difference is that our prospect pool is filled with potential depth guys and odds are atleast a few pan out. As for Bouchard, he'll be ready when he's ready. Just because you say he shouldn't be here for 2 years minimum doesn't mean that he can't be here sooner based on his own play. That said he might take longer than 2 years, it remains to be seen.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Depth wise your right it’s not bad, it’s all 4-6 defenseman just like the oilers have tried to go into every season for the last decade like. If Klef/Larsson don’t rebound in a big way this year I don’t see any true top 3 defensemen in that defense

Not 1 top 3 guy between Larsson, Klefbom and Nurse? Tough crowd.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Not 1 top 3 guy between Larsson, Klefbom and Nurse? Tough crowd.

Can you say for certainty on a playoff team any of those guys would have been top 3 defensemen? Larsson is the only one I could see an argument for. Klefbom played like a bottom pairing d man last year for the most. Nurse was good in stretches last year but fell off a cliff last year after Christmas playing like a number 4-5. If we had some actual top 3 defensemen last year we wouldn’t have finished where we finished last year

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Yes we all have. The difference is that our prospect pool is filled with potential depth guys and odds are atleast a few pan out. As for Bouchard, he'll be ready when he's ready. Just because you say he shouldn't be here for 2 years minimum doesn't mean that he can't be here sooner based on his own play. That said he might take longer than 2 years, it remains to be seen.

If I hear the words potential when referring to the oilers for another season after our last decade I will literally throw up. When do we go into the season with some certainty? I’m not even talking about being a contender. Just say for example having one proven line or pairing that will have success together

Reactions: Aerrol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Can you say for certainty on a playoff team any of those guys would have been top 3 defensemen? Larsson is the only one I could see an argument for. Klefbom played like a bottom pairing d man last year for the most. Nurse was good in stretches last year but fell off a cliff last year after Christmas playing like a number 4-5. If we had some actual top 3 defensemen last year we wouldn’t have finished where we finished last year

The '16-17 version's or Larsson and Klefbom yes. Last season's Klefbom? Hell no. Last season's Nurse? Likely not, however he's young enough to be able to take big strides this season.

If I hear the words potential when referring to the oilers for another season after our last decade I will literally throw up. When do we go into the season with some certainty? I’m not even talking about being a contender. Just say for example having one proven line or pairing that will have success together

Well last season we started with Klef-Larsson as well as McDavid-Leon who had success the season prior. The reality is that depth will be thin unless we can sign cheap vets (Rieder, Brodziak, Gravel, Jerubek, Upshall?) or have non first rounders on reasonable ELC's stepping in (Benson, Maksimov, Marody, Bear). We don't have enough cap available to fill every spot with proven quality players in their primes.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Gravel-Russell
Jerabek-Bouchard

Lowe-Bear
Jones-Persson
Lagesson-Berglund
Samorukov-Mantha
Stanton-Kemp
Niemelainen-Marino

All I see is three second pairing dmen (a first if Klefbom returns to form), a couple of bottom pairing dmen, some young prospects, and a bunch of AHLers. There's lots of quantity, but no quality.

Reactions: Supermassive

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
All I see is three second pairing dmen (a first if Klefbom returns to form), a couple of bottom pairing dmen, some young prospects, and a bunch of AHLers. There's lots of quantity, but no quality.
klefbom has never played at a first pairing level.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

During the 2016-2017 season we had 3 top 3 defenders in Sekera, Larsson, and Klefbom. 3 bottom 3 level guys in Russell, Benning, and Nurse. No true #1 but a balanced group.

Losing Sekera really tosses that balance out the window. Last year we had one top 3 defender in Larsson. Nurse was top 3 part time while playing with Larsson. Klefbom fell off the face of the earth.

Bright side tho. Larsson stays his top 3 self. Klefbom regains top 3 level of play. Nurse becomes full time top 3 with or without Larsson. Russell and Benning have 2/3 rds of the bottom 3 all figured out leaving the new crew to battle for 6/7/8 spots.

In short, while history is against us, it is possible we meet or exceed the group that excelled in 2016-2017.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
During the 2016-2017 season we had 3 top 3 defenders in Sekera, Larsson, and Klefbom. 3 bottom 3 level guys in Russell, Benning, and Nurse. No true #1 but a balanced group.

Losing Sekera really tosses that balance out the window. Last year we had one top 3 defender in Larsson. Nurse was top 3 part time while playing with Larsson. Klefbom fell off the face of the earth.

Bright side tho. Larsson stays his top 3 self. Klefbom regains top 3 level of play. Nurse becomes full time top 3 with or without Larsson. Russell and Benning have 2/3 rds of the bottom 3 all figured out leaving the new crew to battle for 6/7/8 spots.

In short, while history is against us, it is possible we meet or exceed the group that excelled in 2016-2017.
Larsson is at best a below average #3. I'm a huge fan of Sekera but it's likely that he'll never be at even a second pairing level again after his injuries. Nurse has shown flashes of being a really good player but hasn't shown any consistency. Klefbom is the only one in that group that's shown a sustained top pairing ability and I'm confident that he'll return to form but our top 4 is dogshit and the forward depth is so poor that we won't be able to outscore our problems. A lot of things have to go right for our D to be even league average now that Sekera is out for the season. I think Jerabek has potential to be a great signing but this D core is pretty piss poor. Fingers crossed that Talbot puts up a Vezina-worthy season because if he doesn't we'll probably be out of the playoffs by December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad