Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Brouwer Bought Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Larsson is at best a below average #3. I'm a huge fan of Sekera but it's likely that he'll never be at even a second pairing level again after his injuries. Nurse has shown flashes of being a really good player but hasn't shown any consistency. Klefbom is the only one in that group that's shown a sustained top pairing ability and I'm confident that he'll return to form but our top 4 is dog**** and the forward depth is so poor that we won't be able to outscore our problems. A lot of things have to go right for our D to be even league average now that Sekera is out for the season. I think Jerabek has potential to be a great signing but this D core is pretty piss poor. Fingers crossed that Talbot puts up a Vezina-worthy season because if he doesn't we'll probably be out of the playoffs by December.

To each their own but Klefbom really hasn't shown any more than Nurse in terms of consistency and certainly not at a top pairing level.

If you are certain Klefbom is bouncing back after his embarrassing last season I dont follow why you think this defense has so little chance. I agree losing Sekera is brutal but we just need one guy to step up, albiet in a significant way.

Russell has been at least a respectable #4 during his time here and through most his career. Benning can anchor a bottom pairing in a pinch... One guy to bust into the top three, one guy to be a #6... Not so bleak. Heck Benning statistically had a decent season last year and prior to last year there was optimism he could eventually be a top 3...

Don't get me wrong. Its more likely to go to crap but writing it off this early is certainly too much.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Yet somehow Klefbom seems to get scored on alot more than Larsson, hes a tire fire defensively.
klefbos93
klefbos93

Hardly.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
To each their own but Klefbom really hasn't shown any more than Nurse in terms of consistency and certainly not at a top pairing level.

If you are certain Klefbom is bouncing back after his embarrassing last season I dont follow why you think this defense has so little chance. I agree losing Sekera is brutal but we just need one guy to step up, albiet in a significant way.

Russell has been at least a respectable #4 during his time here and through most his career. Benning can anchor a bottom pairing in a pinch... One guy to bust into the top three, one guy to be a #6... Not so bleak. Heck Benning statistically had a decent season last year and prior to last year there was optimism he could eventually be a top 3...

Don't get me wrong. Its more likely to go to crap but writing it off this early is certainly too much.
Talbot's play in 2016/2017 masked a lot of deficiencies in our D core. Sekera was at worst the 2nd best dman on the team that year and losing him is massive.

I disagree on Russell. Not only is he a liability defensively with his poor positioning and gap control, he's a black hole in the offensive zone and hurts the team on the transition with his complete lack of passing skills. I don't hate Benning but we shouldn't be counting on him being anything more than a decent #3 RHD.

The lack of puckmoving dmen is my biggest concern with our D. Jerabek might help but it's probably just as likely that he ends up in the AHL.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Talbot's play in 2016/2017 masked a lot of deficiencies in our D core. Sekera was at worst the 2nd best dman on the team that year and losing him is massive.

I disagree on Russell. Not only is he a liability defensively with his poor positioning and gap control, he's a black hole in the offensive zone and hurts the team on the transition with his complete lack of passing skills. I don't hate Benning but we shouldn't be counting on him being anything more than a decent #3 RHD.

The lack of puckmoving dmen is my biggest concern with our D. Jerabek might help but it's probably just as likely that he ends up in the AHL.

Based on what? The sample size was small but he was one of Montreals steadiest defenders even though (for the most part) he had garbage D partners like Benn.
I would suggest to you that its unlikely that he ends up back in the AHL based on what he showed in both the AHL and the NHL last season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Based on what? The sample size was small but he was one of Montreals steadiest defenders even though (for the most part) he had garbage D partners like Benn.
I would suggest to you that its unlikely that he ends up back in the AHL based on what he showed in both the AHL and the NHL last season.

I would not be surprised if one or both of Jerabek or Gravel make Russell redundant next year.

Which presents a different cap issue, but beggars can’t be choosers.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
He's played 36 career NHL games. Far from a sure thing. I like the gamble though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I would not be surprised if one or both of Jerabek or Gravel make Russell redundant next year.

Which presents a different cap issue, but beggars can’t be choosers.

I am not as pessimistic with Russell as some on here. In the right situation I think that he can help this team.
That said i am curious to see what gravel and Jerabek bring to the table.

With Jerabek I have not seen one report that suggests that he is an AHL dman. If anything (despite the fact that he just turned 27) he appears more likely to be a solid bottom pairing NHL dman with growth potential.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He's played 36 career NHL games. Far from a sure thing. I like the gamble though.

I never said he was a sure thing. I suggested that this season he was a lot more likely to be an NHL defender than an AHL defender.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So right now our NHL depth looks something like this (bolded players have the inside track of being on the opening day team):

LD
Nurse
Klefbom
Gravel
Jerabek

Lowe
Jones
Lagesson

RD
Larsson
Russell
Benning

Bear
Bouchard

Ideally either Bear or Bouchard play well enough to earn a top 6 spot and Benning takes a step forward with us sending down either Gravel or Jerabek.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm more pessimistic about the forwards than the D.

The D-core has a solid top pairing dman in Larsson who will likely be better than last season after the tumultuous year he just went through.

Klefbom who (hopefully) will be healthy again... but at worst he shouldn't be as bad as last season.. and any improvement at all in his play helps this team.

Nurse who is improving every year and is likely to do so again this year.

Benning who is underrated overall and has more to give offensively as well. At 24 he's still not at his peak either.

Russell who I think is likely on the slow downslide BUT who can still be an anchor on the bottom pairing.

Gravel who is a gem in the rough if his injury issues are behind him. Has top 4 upside and at a minimum should be solid on the bottom pairing.

Bear/Bouchard will get looks as well this season and may provide some bottom pairing offense and some help on the PP... something the team sorely lacked last season.

Jerabek/Lowe are the #7/8 dmen who should be filler on the bottom pairings when injuries hit. Not exceptional talents... but adequate for #7/8 dmen.

The forwards this year are more of a mish-mash of possibilities and almost nothing is set except for the duo of RNH-McDavid.

We don't know what Drai will have for wingers.

We don't know how Lucic will rebound.

We don't know how far JP will advance this season.

Will Rieder/Aberg contribute offensively and help the team speed?

Will Kassian be the Kassian we know he can be?

Will Caggiula find his own end of the ice and stop being a defensive nightmare.

Khaira looked good.. hopefully he repeats or even improves.

Rattie... who knows?

I expect pretty average performances from Strome and Brodziak... likely neither blow anyone away but they should be decent #3/#4 C. It's basically all the wingers that are question marks.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm more pessimistic about the forwards than the D.

The D-core has a solid top pairing dman in Larsson who will likely be better than last season after the tumultuous year he just went through.

Klefbom who (hopefully) will be healthy again... but at worst he shouldn't be as bad as last season.. and any improvement at all in his play helps this team.

Nurse who is improving every year and is likely to do so again this year.

Benning who is underrated overall and has more to give offensively as well. At 24 he's still not at his peak either.

Russell who I think is likely on the slow downslide BUT who can still be an anchor on the bottom pairing.

Gravel who is a gem in the rough if his injury issues are behind him. Has top 4 upside and at a minimum should be solid on the bottom pairing.

Bear/Bouchard will get looks as well this season and may provide some bottom pairing offense and some help on the PP... something the team sorely lacked last season.

Jerabek/Lowe are the #7/8 dmen who should be filler on the bottom pairings when injuries hit. Not exceptional talents... but adequate for #7/8 dmen.

The forwards this year are more of a mish-mash of possibilities and almost nothing is set except for the duo of RNH-McDavid.

We don't know what Drai will have for wingers.

We don't know how Lucic will rebound.

We don't know how far JP will advance this season.

Will Rieder/Aberg contribute offensively and team speed?

Will Kassian be the Kassian we know he can be?

Will Caggiula find his own end of the ice and stop being a defensive nightmare.

Khaira looked good.. hopefully he repeats or even improves.

Rattie... who knows?

I expect pretty average performances from Strome and Brodziak... likely neither blow anyone away but they should be decent #3/#4 C. It's basically all the wingers that are question marks.

I like your optimism regarding Gravel but top 4 upside? What are you seeing that suggests this?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like your optimism regarding Gravel but top 4 upside? What are you seeing that suggests this?

I also wonder if the Oilers see Gravel as having a higher upside than Jerabek seeing as there is a $300K difference in their pay. Did we fork over the extra $ just because of the Sekera injury or do we see him as being the better player?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Kings fans were quite high on him pre-Crohn's taking him out of action. Not that that necessarily means anything, but it's better than the opposite.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I also wonder if the Oilers see Gravel as having a higher upside than Jerabek seeing as there is a $300K difference in their pay. Did we fork over the extra $ just because of the Sekera injury or do we see him as being the better player?

Probably because Jerabek could've signed with a Euro team and Chia needed a stopgap.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Its possible I guess but Jerabek does something that Gravel isnt known to be good at...thats moving the puck up ice. That is very valuable for this team.

Its one reason why I think Bouchard has an opportunity this season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Kings fans were quite high on him pre-Crohn's taking him out of action. Not that that necessarily means anything, but it's better than the opposite.

Fair enough. I have never seen him play so I legitimately dont know what his strengths are.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Fair enough. I have never seen him play so I legitimately dont know what his strengths are.

He's 6'4" but a good skater and has decent puck skills. At least that's what I gather from Kings fans.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He's 6'4" but a good skater and has decent puck skills. At least that's what I gather from Kings fans.

He doesnt have any offense in his game at all according to his stat profile. If he is reliable/steady and can skate then thats something but top 4 potential seems a tad optimistic.
Thankfully we shall see soon enough.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
What do shot rates have to do with goals against? Klefbom consistently gives up a lot of goals against. He consistently has a sub par on ice save % because he consistently makes mistakes in his own end leading to chances.

Correlating on-ice save percentage to defensive acumen doesn't really pass the smell test. Very often heavy minute defenders have worse on-ice save percentages than lesser defenseman in different roles.

For example, the two worst LA Kings in on-ice save percentage >50 games in 17-18 were Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar. Are they defensive tire fires?

If the contention is that Oscar Klefbom allows more higher danger scoring chances against, which lowers the expected save percentage of a goaltender, that correlation can be checked on.

Larsson: 3.76 high danger chances against/game
Nurse: 3.64 high danger chances against/game
Klefbom: 3.35 high danger chances against/game
Russell: 3.22 high danger chances against/game
Benning: 3.14 high danger chances against/game

My view on Oscar Klefbom is that he makes obvious errors which is understandably frustrating, but usually not a huge deal. Normally that's canceled out pretty well by the fact that the Oilers have been significantly more productive with him on the ice than without in almost all regards throughout his entire Oilers career. This past year not so much. Lots went wrong last year that I doubt continues to go wrong and that's pretty high on the list of things I think will be different.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It’s Been A Tough Season For LA Kings D Kevin Gravel

The disease diagnosis was a hell of a shock to his system... and getting through something like that... which saps your energy/stamina and basically steals a year of development from you, takes a while to get over.

He was trending quite well in the Kings system and I'm thinking he can get back on that same upward trajectory once again now that he appears to have the disease under control.

He was fed a steady diet of ozone starts and didn't face particularly strong competition either so I can see why many people would say he doesn't look great offensively with the numbers he's put up.

Saying that... he has only played 70 NHL games and his development has obviously been skewed by his health issues.

I think he has good defensive skills and good size and at age 26 he should be coming into his prime years as a dman.

I might be a little more optimistic than most but I think they have someone here who has something to prove as well after he was dumped by the Kings.

Reactions: Cloned

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think he has good defensive skills and good size and at age 26 he should be coming into his prime years as a dman.

I might be a little more optimistic than most but I think they have someone here who has something to prove as well after he was dumped by the Kings.

He's 26. We should be happy if he doesn't get buried in a 7th D role.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Davidson turns down PTO from Oilers?? I don’t know what’s worse- that the oil is shopping for another 7/8 DMan, or that he turned them down.... lol or that he thinks there’s better offers out there Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad