Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Brouwer Bought Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Realistically it's unlikely Rattie is going to stick long term on that top line. If you've got a pulse and can line up on the right wing, chances are you're going to get a shot with McDavid at some point and if not him, Draisaitl.

Pulju/Yamamoto/Aberg etc... they'll get a shot. But they are going to have to run with it when they do. Otherwise they'll be cycled out for someone else.

Reactions: dustrock
Oct 15, 2008
Rattie looks ok for 14 games and all’s fine but giving your 20 year old recent 4th overall pick a look there is irresponsible? I don’t compute.

One boat floats and one sinks like a rock and you want to jump in the leaky boat.

Yak was first overall and is out of the league. Draft pedigree don’t mean shit.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
One boat floats and one sinks like a rock and you want to jump in the leaky boat.

Yak was first overall and is out of the league. Draft pedigree don’t mean ****.
I actually disagree there. Draft pedigree means a lot. Unfortunately it's not to JP's benefit. As a fourth overall pick the expectations of JP's game are much higher than simply putting up offensive numbers next to Connor McDavid. JP has been getting the tough love from McLellan and company because we expect him to play a complete game. If he's going to strike it rich on his next deal, it's not going to be because we pasted him next to Connor on opening night.

Rattie on the other hand is a draft bust. Expectations are low. He's had teams try and make him earn his keep on their third and fourth lines and he just doesn't have it. So we're getting a flawed player dirt cheap who we can plug next to Connor to pick up the garbage. The moment Rattie doesn't produce, he gets waived.

Reactions: Aerchon
Oct 15, 2008
I actually disagree there. Draft pedigree means a lot. Unfortunately it's not to JP's benefit. As a fourth overall pick the expectations of JP's game are much higher than simply putting up offensive numbers next to Connor McDavid. JP has been getting the tough love from McLellan and company because we expect him to play a complete game. If he's going to strike it rich on his next deal, it's not going to be because we pasted him next to Connor on opening night.

Rattie on the other hand is a draft bust. Expectations are low. He's had teams try and make him earn his keep on their third and fourth lines and he just doesn't have it. So we're getting a flawed player dirt cheap who we can plug next to Connor to pick up the garbage. The moment Rattie doesn't produce, he gets waived.
Zdeno Chara would be a draft bust according to your metric. Some players get passed over by bad organizations before flourishing with other ones. Maybe Rattie is a diamond in the rough? He has the offensive instincts to play with someone like McDavid. Ive seen him do it in junior. He looked half decent in a small sample size last year. I dont see why he doesn’t get another look this year. Puljujarvi on the other hand has shown some flashes of brilliance but he is getting Yak’d by the coaching staff. Hopefully that changes.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Rattie's biggest issue in the NHL was that he could never buy himself enough time to get his shot off.

Good news is that if he's playing with McDavid, he won't have to buy himself time.

Could be a bargain 20-25 goal scorer in there.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Crazy how such a bad player has been a regular on a perennial playoff team

Crazy how the best player in the league is a regular on a perennial basement team.

Bieksa was a liability by the end of his time in Vancouver and has only gotten worse. The only reason he played at all last year was because Anaheim's defense had injury problems all season.

Reactions: Aerchon

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I wouldn't be opposed to Bieska as an #7 or 8. Though I'm not sure what he brings vs. someone like Benning.

I think Enstrom is the best defenceman left on the UFA market, and likely the one that could best replace Sekera and his puck movement.

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Enstrom
Russell-Benning/Bear

Though I'd have the 1st on the market for a replacement. A guy like Myers would be a near perfect fit.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Myers
Russell-Benning

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Rattie's biggest issue in the NHL was that he could never buy himself enough time to get his shot off.

Good news is that if he's playing with McDavid, he won't have to buy himself time.

Could be a bargain 20-25 goal scorer in there.

I agree. Playing with McDavid and Nuge means you don't have to worry about creating but only about finishing. It's probably the best chance for a guy like Rattie to make use of his skills. We're talking about a guy who scored 105 goals in his last two years of juniors. There are not that many players to do that over the last decade and the vast majority are stars. Rattie does not have to be a star. All he has to do is be ready and not screw up.

In St. Louis Rattie played mostly with Berglund and Brodziak in his last year full year and before that with a mix. The most skilled guy he played more than 20 minutes in one season with was probably a 3000 year old Olie Jokinen. I think we all know he is not a third liner. But welcome to the modern NHL.

Last edited:

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
No need for Bieksa, we have already enough defenders starting with letter B.
There has to be some kind of limitation for B’s.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Crazy how the best player in the league is a regular on a perennial basement team.

Bieksa was a liability by the end of his time in Vancouver and has only gotten worse. The only reason he played at all last year was because Anaheim's defense had injury problems all season.

Anaheim couldn't get rid of Bieksa fast enough. He's probably done as an NHL player.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Zdeno Chara would be a draft bust according to your metric. Some players get passed over by bad organizations before flourishing with other ones. Maybe Rattie is a diamond in the rough? He has the offensive instincts to play with someone like McDavid. Ive seen him do it in junior. He looked half decent in a small sample size last year. I dont see why he doesn’t get another look this year. Puljujarvi on the other hand has shown some flashes of brilliance but he is getting Yak’d by the coaching staff. Hopefully that changes.
Chara was a full time NHLer at 21 and he was a top end defenseman by 24. The two are not remotely comparable. My point was that Ty Rattie has never had the complete game to merit a full time roster spot. He doesn't have the natural ability to create his own offense at the NHL level with lesser talent. But his ability to finish and his offensive reads are a perfect compliment to a player like Connor who can carry the majority of the load for both players.

If we had the same expectations for Puljujarvi, we're either setting him up for failure or we're eventually paying a severely limited player a lot of money down the road for production he didn't necessarily create.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Add in the extra pressure that every forward taken around him is flourishing at the NHL level. Matthews, Laine, Dubois, Tkachuk and Keller. The expectations on himself to succeed are much higher now.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I was wondering if they will decide to grab a depth guy from the waiver pile.
Here's some interesting waiver eligible D according to cap friendly.

Schmaltz
Dotchin
Bergman?
Koekkoek
Kulak
Nelson?
Jensen?
Lintuniemi?
Bystrom?
Bigras?
Hunwick
Connauton
Wideman?

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Ya know, looking at the Oilers 50-man list today, I wonder if we aren't worrying too much about the 1st line RW. The fact of the matter is that McDavid has RNH pencilled in on the LW and, to be honest, that's a generational center with a 1st overall, elite, speedy, puck-moving LW with great hands and an extremely responsible work ethic. That's a killer 1st-line combo on any team, and we have to remember that even Gretz and Kurri just had plugs and a gritty little jerk (Tikkanen) on their wing. I wonder if the 1st line isn't just fine, and with good seasons from any of Luc, Reider or Pulju the 2nd line could be fine, too. It's not hard to see why Chia is confident with this lineup, the tools and skill are clearly there, it's all about coaching, execution, etc.

Reactions: ManicTouch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad