Not open for further replies.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Give me Upshall anyday.
Upshall-Brodziak-Kassian
Would be a really nice 4th line.

Or trade away Kassian and his salary along with a pick in a trade for better players like this:
2 2nds + Benson + Kassian
For
Nyquist + Svechnikov

Then roll out these lines:
Nuge-Mcdavid-Nyquist/Pulju
Svechnikov-Draisaitl-Pulju/Nyq
Lucic-Strome-Rieder
Khaira-Brodziak-Upshall

Gives Yamo a year in the AHL

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
im down for signing Upshall...and bring in Bieksa or Franson on a PTO

Klefbom Larrson
Nurse Russell
Davidson Benning
Bieksa

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Hartnell-Winnik-Upshall would make a great cheap veteran 4th line.

Sign them all and dump Caggiula.... and keep Rattie/Yamamoto in the AHL.

Strome can play wing.

Brodziak can play #3C.

RNH-McDavid-JP
Rieder-Drai-Strome
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian
Hartnell-Winnik-Upshall
Khaira/Aberg

Team would finally have veteran depth throughout the lineup... great PK options and good depth for when injuries hit. Solid 2-way forwards in the lineup (that could move up and down the lines) would be MASSIVE for this team.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Does any one know much about Honka . Reading he may be available . Might be a good buy low guy . His development has stalled in Dallas for what ever reason . I don't watch Dallas enough to have enough knowledge to make a comment .

Oct 15, 2008
Hartnell-Winnik-Upshall would make a great cheap veteran 4th line.

Sign them all and dump Caggiula.... and keep Rattie/Yamamoto in the AHL.

Strome can play wing.

Brodziak can play #3C.

RNH-McDavid-JP
Rieder-Drai-Strome
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian
Hartnell-Winnik-Upshall
Khaira/Aberg

Team would finally have veteran depth throughout the lineup... great PK options and good depth for when injuries hit. Solid 2-way forwards in the lineup (that could move up and down the lines) would be MASSIVE for this team.
That lineup combined with our farcical defence wouldn’t win 20 games.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
From the interviews I’ve read Lagesson - even before the Sekera injury - had absolutely zero intention of going quietly down to Bakersfield. I really think he will push for a spot.

19:30 a night on the top pairing in the SHL is nothing to sneeze at (remembering that 20+ minute a night defencemen in that league are somewhat of a rarity. Djurgardens has a 29 year old as it’s #1, playing 24 minutes a night (the most in the entire league). Lagesson was their #2.

How is his speed? I don’t know much about him but it’s good to know we r stocking cupboards on D prospects. One thing I have learnt being an Oiler fan is you can never have enough D

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Does any one know much about Honka . Reading he may be available . Might be a good buy low guy . His development has stalled in Dallas for what ever reason . I don't watch Dallas enough to have enough knowledge to make a comment .

If they land Karlsson and he isn't part of the package that gets him it could make sense.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Suffice to say I disagree.

But lets just say we go with your argument. Which capable PP producer are you suggesting we add?
You can disagree all you want, but all that shows me is you either thought Andrej Sekera was going to somehow jump into the top four over both Nurse and Klefbom this season or you thought for some reason we were doomed from the get go.

Realistic options on the PP? At the top of the list in the short term would have to be Cody Franson on a PTO. As training camp unfolds there are likely some options that open up. Waiver eligible guys like Jordan Schmaltz, Julius Honka, Madison Bowey, Tim Heed all come to mind as guys who could be on the market in the opening weeks of the season. Throwing money and resources at this problem before the season starts isn't necessary and would likely be counter-productive considering it would negatively affect our ability to maneuver throughout the regular season.

It'll be interesting throughout training camp because we'll likely get to see a lot more of Ethan Bear and Evan Bouchard manning the PP units. In a perfect world, they both get sent down, but of course they're also viable options to start the season.

Reactions: Cypress

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
That lineup combined with our farcical defence wouldn’t win 20 games.

I know people will look at the lineup and see it lacks in offensive firepower.. but it's got a lot of 2-way strengths and keeping pucks out is just as good as putting them in.

It's not as if Rattie/Caggiula are some sort of offensive demons anyway. And what little offense they provide they give away at the other end anyway.

That 4th line would be the best in the NHL. the top line obviously would be solid with Mcdavid carrying the load.

The middle six would be pretty solid defensively... and yes a little lacking offensively... but that's already the case with the current roster as well.

If the Oilers have a weak defense, those better defensive forwards will help in that respect as well.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
I know people will look at the lineup and see it lacks in offensive firepower.. but it's got a lot of 2-way strengths and keeping pucks out is just as good as putting them in.

It's not as if Rattie/Caggiula are some sort of offensive dmen anyway. And what little offense they provide they give away at the other end anyway.

That 4th line would be the best in the NHL. the top line obviously would be solid with Mcdavid carrying the load.

The middle six would be pretty solid defensively... and yes a little lacking offensively... but that's already the case with the current roster as well.

If the Oilers have a weak defense, those better defensive forwards will help in that respect as well.
You would get no secondary scoring. And gifting JP a spot on the first line is highly questionable.

I also question how many goals would be prevented.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

I don't think he's being shopped by the Stars, I think he's very much part of their plans going forward. You are right that his development kind of stagnated, but he's still only 22. I'd be more worried if they deem him expendable based on not having a roster spot, because that would mean he got beat out by Roman freaking Polak. At that point, would you want him? I wouldn't.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd put JP with Draisaitl and Reider.
That's where I've got JP. It's no guarantee Rieder sticks with Draisaitl though. He could literally end up with any one of the three Cs. Khaira-Draisaitl-JP looked pretty solid for a short time last season as well.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I keep coming back to the Islanders as a team to target. Sekera, Lucic, Nurse for Leddy, Boychuk, Nelson.

Lineup:

RNH-Mcdavid-Yamamoto/Rattie
Nelson-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Strome-Rieder
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg, Rattie/?

Leddy-Larsson
Klefbom-Boychuk
Russell-Benning/Bouchard
Benning/Gravel

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I'd put JP with Draisaitl and Reider.

Same here

RNH - McDavid - Rattie/Yammamoto
Rieder - Draisaitl - JP
Lucic - Strome - Aberg/Caggiula
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Would also be happy with him on the top line

RNH - McDavid - JP
Rieder - Draisaitl - Aberg
Lucic - Strome - Caggiula
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How is his speed? I don’t know much about him but it’s good to know we r stocking cupboards on D prospects. One thing I have learnt being an Oiler fan is you can never have enough D

From what I understand it’s good. He doesn’t seem to get beat wide very much if at all and doesn’t seem to struggle with mobility.

His weakness before he went overseas was puck skills. I’m wondering how he looks now.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I keep coming back to the Islanders as a team to target. Sekera, Lucic, Nurse for Leddy, Boychuk, Nelson.

Lineup:

Caggiula-Strome-Rieder
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg, Rattie/?

Leddy-Larsson
Klefbom-Boychuk
Russell-Benning/Bouchard
Benning/Gravel

That manages to be terrible for everyone. Leddy’s got good offensive instincts but he’s a horror show in his own end. Nelson’s a UFA in a year (and sucks) and Boychuk is almost as big a dump as Lucic is.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yes, actually it would be. Rattie played pretty well in his stint in that position last year. He showed he can hang there. Unlike Puljujarvi.

Rattie looks ok for 14 games and all’s fine but giving your 20 year old recent 4th overall pick a look there is irresponsible? I don’t compute.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Lineup:

Caggiula-Strome-Rieder
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg, Rattie/?

Leddy-Larsson
Klefbom-Boychuk
Russell-Benning/Bouchard
Benning/Gravel

Lucic; isles have their overpaid,declining forward in Ladd.
Lucic has negative value and holds no interest

Sekera: isn't he out for 5-6 months after surgery? Another player with negative value,you think other teams covet?

Nurse:The ONLY Oiler offered up with any value and I am not interested in moving Leddy's 40+ pts.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Nah, Yakupov was just picking up secondary assists off passing the puck to McDavid in the defensive/neutral zones and contributing nothing on the offensive half of the ice.

Rattie was actually scoring goals.

Yakupov knew his role on that line. Give the puck to Mcdavid and hope for a greasy rebound. Wasn't his stat line something like GP:14 G2 A:12.
I think possession was similar to Rattie with Mcdavid which won't work long term. They should start Rattie in that spot to start the season and give him a chance since the line did have some nice chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad