Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Adam Larsson for 3-4 years at 3.75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Ride Smith until he shows he's done. He's not shown he's done. He could have another 1-3 years in him.

I agree, but we need to find a young backup while we still have Smith. If Skinner's that guy, then great, but if not we should be looking for him. Smith is an obvious leader, incredibly confident, and has a unique skillset in playing the puck. We need to use him as well as we can and that means finding a young goalie he can mentor here.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I agree, but we need to find a young backup while we still have Smith. If Skinner's that guy, then great, but if not we should be looking for him. Smith is an obvious leader, incredibly confident, and has a unique skillset in playing the puck. We need to use as well as he can and that means finding a young goalie he can mentor here.

I’d like them to go and get Elvis. Personality would be a good fit IMO

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Instead of dropping Bear get him to work on playing LD in the offseason.

That would be ideal as it's a bit unfair to ask a player with as limited of NHL experience as Bouchard has to move to his off side. Kesselring is likely the next behind our top 4RHD on the depth chart unless Berglund joins the Condors and Kesselring needs some time in the AHL before he gets tossed into the mix with the big club.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I agree, but we need to find a young backup while we still have Smith. If Skinner's that guy, then great, but if not we should be looking for him. Smith is an obvious leader, incredibly confident, and has a unique skillset in playing the puck. We need to use as well as he can and that means finding a young goalie he can mentor here.

Roloson 2.0

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I’d like them to go and get Elvis. Personality would be a good fit IMO

I’ve had him on my fantasy team the last two years, and he drove me crazy. Wildly inconsistent. I like him, but wouldn’t offer much. Just not sure if he’s going to be another one of many goalies who have a great run each year, but remain inconsistent, or if he’ll take it to the next level at some point.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Yes. Adam Larsson is a rare and unique player in today's NHL; who's actually still inclining and improving each year, especially under Tippett. He's in his prime, 28, and if they can sign the man to a 3/4 yr deal @ or less than 4M/per?
Do it

Might be the minority, but I do not want to extend Tyson Barrie. He has an abundance of secondary assists, and really, although cliche but true, is mainly a product of the McDrai powerplay. His defensive game is so bad, he's so easily beaten in one on one battles, he's going to command an undeserving high price tag, and we have, imo, a more refined PP quarterback in Evan Bouchard, that's young, hungry and cheap.
Barrie is very smart for sure, the move to sign with Edmonton, on a cheap one year, knowing he'll quarterback the McDraisaitl powerplay, has worked out perfectly. He's the top producing defenseman in the entire NHL this season, but in my perspective, it's artificial, and whichever team gives him that monster long term contract, is going to regret it big time.

He's been perfect for us this year, and hopefully in the playoffs too. But he turns 30 in July, and sooner than later, will begin to decline and eventually bought out, leaving his mark on our cap issues for many more years. We have Bouchard, Broberg, Kesselring upcoming, and a prime Larsson, Nurse, Klefbom, Lagesson. We should be saving that chunk of change they would've wasted on Barrie for several years, and saving the space to extend our home grown premier prospects. Giving them the payday they deserve, and have earned

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
We need to get a long term starting goaltender. That's a totally different issue than the drama for back up goalie. Theres a zero percent chance that Holland's plan is to have Koskinen be starting goalie next year. I'd hope anyway

I think Holland and Tippett want to flush Koskinen versus keeping him as an expensive and unreliable backup. Go get an experienced twentysomething goaltender who can run as a top goaltender and re-up Smith who can be a quality backup and quasi mentor. I'd like the Oil also draft one of the two elite goaltender prospects with their first pick (if they keep it) and strengthen the long-term quality pipeline at this critical, neglected position. Koskinen is done.

Reactions: McNuge and InTheBox

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
New Jersey is in an interesting position. They currently dont have enough forwards to expose to meet the requirements for the ED. They would either need to expose their leading goal scorer (Woods) or convince an RFA to sign before the ED knowing they would likely be selected. Maybe we could offload Turris for free?

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I’ve had him on my fantasy team the last two years, and he drove me crazy. Wildly inconsistent. I like him, but wouldn’t offer much. Just not sure if he’s going to be another one of many goalies who have a great run each year, but remain inconsistent, or if he’ll take it to the next level at some point.
Not Elvis---Matiss is the guy you want.
And why not get two--Ottawa cant protect both Joey and Filip--lets make a deal for Filip too!

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Quite the opposite IMO. I look around the league and see a ton of options available through free agency of via Seattle in the ED.

Driedger in Florida, Rask in Boston, Andersen in Toronto, Allen in Montreal, one of the Ottawa goaltenders, Khudobin in Dallas, Grubauer in Colorado, Ullmark in Buffalo, someone form Carolina. Talbot in Minnesota, etc.

Wild aren't trading cam Talbot

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Agreed, IMO he has earned at least 1 more season here. I just wouldn't anticipate a season as successful as this one for him individually. If it happens, great! If it doesn't, it shouldn't surprise anyone IMO.
Agreed Smith earned another year. But with that said you should have a younger 1B come in. I think Driedger would be a great option, I could see him going to be a head goalie in Seattle though. Also the whole Florida to Edmonton isn’t a transition many players want to do.

I think it’s a fire gone conclusion that either Koskinen is shopped or bought out, but I don’t see them buying him out because I doubt they bring Neal back to sit on the bench again.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
New Jersey is in an interesting position. They currently dont have enough forwards to expose to meet the requirements for the ED. They would either need to expose their leading goal scorer (Woods) or convince an RFA to sign before the ED knowing they would likely be selected. Maybe we could offload Turris for free?

I offer one lightly used Zack Kassian.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
#1 priority has to be to get rid of Koski and bring in long term 1a in net.

I do not care about any other position this summer until that is sorted.

Reactions: Faelko

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
If we can buyout/move Koskinen and get a legit starting goalie then I think Smith will be good as a backup for 25-30 games next season.

If I where Holland I trade Koskinen for a useless low cost contract and a 4th rounder to the team tjat takes him. Problem solved

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Not that it's likely, but if Jeff Skinner is bought out, should he be a target for a 1 yr deal? I think there could be a fit post-buyout.
Thats the contract that likely keeps JD from taking any job offer they might extend. Forty million buyout. Any GM going to almost any owner for that ... wow. Even a couple years down the road its still north of twenty million. So the guy plays like a 3 mil winger for 3 or 4 years.

Reactions: McDoused

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Thats the contract that likely keeps JD from taking any job offer they might extend. Forty million buyout. Any GM going to almost any owner for that ... wow. Even a couple years down the road its still north of twenty million. So the guy plays like a 3 mil winger for 3 or 4 years.
I mean maybe, but who knows because they're basically going scorched earth with Eichel leaving. Plus, it's not "down years" it's 21 goals in a 109 games over 2 years.

AsparaGus

Feb 16, 2020
Not that it's likely, but if Jeff Skinner is bought out, should he be a target for a 1 yr deal? I think there could be a fit post-buyout.
If he takes a Turris-style 1-2 year, ~$1.5 million deal, I would be cool with that.

1) Good skater. (Former figure skater)
2) Historically decent finisher.
3) Could work with McDavid. Could bust like Turris. You never really know.

- Pre-Buffalo Skinner had a career shooting percentage of 10.69%.
- His shooting percentage the last 2 years on the Sabres was 7.65% and 6.31%.
- If he shot at this career average this year, he would have been on pace for 22-25 goals (over 82 games).
- I imagine that number would shoot up if he plays with McDavid.
- Skinner scored 40 goals 2 years ago and he has scored over 28 goals 4 times in his career.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Not a chance Skinner is bought out. He'll sit on that team like Moulson did for years. Hypothetically though I'd absolutely pick up Skinner at the same as Turris.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
With the exception of Smith we do seem to have seen an initial spike in Goalie ability when they have come here and then an agonizing slide (both for us and themselves) until they turn into a __it pile.

Smith went got outside help in the offseason to reform his game to what it is this season.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I offer one lightly used Zack Kassian.

I have a feeling Zack is going to kill it in the playoffs in a bottom-six capacity. Everyone will forget the recent past and push for him to get moved up the lineup next year, and it will start the suck cycle over.

If he has a good showing in the playoffs would be nice to use that momentum to get out of the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad