OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
A place to look to trade up would be with Tennessee at pick 38. They don't have a 3rd round pick. So the Steelers could offer 51+98+2025 5th (They have 2 next year).

These are the WR left at this point:

Troy Franklin
Ladd McConkey
Adonai Mitchell
Keon Coleman
Roman Wilson
Ja'Lynn Polk
Malachi Corley

They will easily be able to get one of these guys at 51. Some may even slide to 84. So is there a guy that they think can come in and be a difference maker either from the start or very very early in the season that would be worth the trade up? It feels to me that only McConkey or Ad Mitchell could be in that category.

Yep but Corley is really only a slot receiver so I don’t count him

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If a first round talent center or DB is there at 51 you can take a couple of flyers on WR's in the later rounds. Are they less sure things? Yes. But that is the benefit of taking a couple and seeing which pans out. I still see a trade coming as well.

They still have one DB candidate on the roster that people forget about who could turn out to be a winner. This guy:

In the end though. you don't fill all the holes that the Steelers had going into this offseason in one draft/FA splurge. Not perfectly. That the Steelers have come close is impressive.

Don't forget Darius Rush., loved him coming out of SC last year.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That's not a deep class though. Last year pretty much third round WR was playing at a WR3 level with 3 around WR2. There were still another four instant impact WRs left in the draft after that.

If this class can't match that, it's been horribly misclassified.
Then maybe it's been horribly miscategorized? I'm just dope who watches football, I just don't find a lot that separates the next 12 or so receivers, so why take one in the 2nd? Is my thought.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Then maybe it's been horribly miscategorized? I'm just dope who watches football, I just don't find a lot that separates the next 12 or so receivers, so why take one in the 2nd? Is my thought.

I'm no expert either!

That said, if the point is we're already into a fairly interchangeable tier, I agree except with the one caveat - how many of those WRs will be gone before 84?

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Deebo's contract is ugly as hell for SF but I don't think the cap hit would be that egregious for anyone else trading for him. Can anyone confirm that?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Amen to this. If I don’t have to hear/read the word “trenches” around draft time I will be so happy. Although we’ll probably be talking about DL next year so I may have to wait another year.

Sweat would be a nice edition. He can play nose, move Benton to end.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Deebo's contract is ugly as hell for SF but I don't think the cap hit would be that egregious for anyone else trading for him. Can anyone confirm that?

I can't quite confirm, but since 22.5m or so of Samuel's hit would be sticking with San Fran, I assume only 3m or so is going to Samuel's new team if he's moved?

Which is part of why it doesn't make sense to me unless they get a handsome trade offer. I know they're loaded now but it's not like they're the only loaded team around.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
If you can believe Tomlin, they targeted Fautanu going into the draft.

That quote from the presser was taken after khan mentioned they got offers to move up and back, but when they saw who was going to be taken at 19, they wanted to stay at 20 for Troy. That’s when Tomlin said the above.

So to me it came off more like they had him high on the board and didn’t trade the pick because he was still there around when the Steelers were picking, not that he was THE target. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That quote from the presser was taken after khan mentioned they got offers to move up and back, but when they saw who was going to be taken at 19, they wanted to stay at 20 for Troy. That’s when Tomlin said the above.

So to me it came off more like they had him high on the board and didn’t trade the pick because he was still there around when the Steelers were picking, not that he was THE target. I could be wrong though.

I dunno he was the target the target but judging from what the Steelers are saying, assuming we take them at face value, I think he was pretty much one of the best realistic case targets they had going into the draft.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Height is so overrated in this discussion. If he were 1.5 inches taller, nobody would say a peep. And nobody is questioning his weight.

Arm length, hand size, strength, athleticism and attitude are much more crucial when evaluating a lineman.

Fautanu has those traits in spades.

Reactions: TNT87

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Get a center, the line would be pretty set for 5 years.
Well not entirely lol…Daniels contract is up after the season and the LG is like age 32…will need a guard or two soon…wouldn’t be surprised to see Fautanu kicked over there either after this season…

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Height is so overrated in this discussion. If he were 1.5 inches taller, nobody would say a peep. And nobody is questioning his weight.

Arm length, hand size, strength, athleticism and attitude are much more crucial when evaluating a lineman.

Fautanu has those traits in spades.
I'm not a football guy but if you can get under a player on the ice you can move him anywhere. so I'm guessing it's the same on the ground. :dunno:

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I like how dude basically played in shorts and a crop top too haha. An interesting look.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Some other names I like outside the top 2 centers: Two Michigan Wolverines could be in play, WR Roman Wilson and CB Mike Sainristil.

Daniel Jeremiah was really high on CB Rakestraw.

Saints, Bills, Broncos, Colts, Chargers, Pats all need WR so we could see a bunch more go here on day 2.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I think Frazier falls to 51 anyway, but Dulac is saying that this team wants Frazier in round 2.

That’s great but what to do with the fact that Dulac is always wrong…had Barton as their selection and seemed real confident in it too lol

Reactions: T1K

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah just looking at the board, assuming nobody trades up before us, Panthers at 39 are probably the most likely to take a Center.

Yeah I think JPJ goes to the Panthers at 39 and most other teams make a run on WRs or CBs for the most part.

The only team I could see taking Frazier before the Steelers is the Eagles, who pick 1 spot ahead of them. But if that's such a worry, just throw like a 5th or 6th at Cincy to move up from 51 to 49.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad