Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Adam Larsson for 3-4 years at 3.75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I’ve wanted to re-sign Barrie but if it’s true he wants 5-6 years, that’s a hard pass.

He’s going to be 30 in July and I think anybody who signs him to a long term deal like that is going to come to regret it.

He doesn't play a highly physical game so i don't think he would go downhill so quickly like a Marc Staal or Dan Girardi etc

The game he plays, he still has potential to become a more rounded defenseman who could play until he's almost 40 if he wanted too.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I didn't think we could get him cheap. Was thinking if Barrie isn't coming back and we can't get a RHD to replace him, Martinez is a good plan B with that money.
Wow this guy might actually make it to UFA. If Klef doesn't make it this might be a good way to go. Its going to take serious cash to get this now southern US boy especially as he will be looking for a longer deal in the south and we would likely offer only two.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He doesn't play a highly physical game so i don't think he would go downhill so quickly like a Marc Staal or Dan Girardi etc

The game he plays, he still has potential to become a more rounded defenseman who could play until he's almost 40 if he wanted too.
I disagree. The D that play that long are usually the ones that don't rely on skating, and are the top tier, well rounded D.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I disagree. The D that play that long are usually the ones that don't rely on skating, and are the top tier, well rounded D.

I'm going to respectively disagree and use Kieth Yandle as an example.

His game is pretty similar. Very offensive minded, good puck mover but like Barrie his skills in his own end are somewhat limited.

While Yandle doesn't quite have the same shot, he's still producing points and his production has been just as consistent in his 30s as he was in his mid/late 20s.

Signing Barrie to a longer term deal (5 or 6 yrs) will not hurt the team going forward

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I’ve wanted to re-sign Barrie but if it’s true he wants 5-6 years, that’s a hard pass.

He’s going to be 30 in July and I think anybody who signs him to a long term deal like that is going to come to regret it.
You’d have to hope he ages like Brian Rafalski to break even on the deal.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

I'd be okay with a 5 year deal where the salary tapers down in the final 2 years as long as there's no trade protection. Say it's a 5 x $5M AAV deal and it went 6 - 6 - 6 - 4 - 3. Then it's easier to trade him if necessary down the road because there are always non-playoff teams with internal caps that don't mind taking on a player whose cap hit is higher as long as the real dollars make sense.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
An Oiler fan and you don't kniw how many cups Gretzky won ?
Gretzky won those cups before many if not most here were born.
Teenager oil fans dont even know who Weight, Smyth and Hemsky were.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

You forgot to quote me but I figured I may have bungled it by accident.

I knew, but as the newspapers say, we severely regret our error. Was thinking of the team dynasty cup number rather than just Wayne.

Still, 4 cups. Do people think McDavid is getting 4 career cups?

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
It’s odd isn’t it

though I mess up all the time and say 5. I get confused between oilers cups and Gretzky cups lol. I wasn’t alive for 3 of them. 88 and 90 I was too little to even know what hockey was lmao.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Have a feeling McDavid will be feeling very disappointed after this playoffs and in his mind thinking 'I give them this summer to fix this team'.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Have a feeling McDavid will be feeling very disappointed after this playoffs and in his mind thinking 'I give them this summer to fix this team'.

I think McDavid has seen the team take a big step forward this year and while a quick playoff exit would be disappointing, it won’t influence his future.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You forgot to quote me but I figured I may have bungled it by accident.

I knew, but as the newspapers say, we severely regret our error. Was thinking of the team dynasty cup number rather than just Wayne.

Still, 4 cups. Do people think McDavid is getting 4 career cups?

It will be harder to do than it was back then. Assuming today's salary cap and salary scales the old Oilers would have been extremely difficult to fit under the cap past 1985-86. In today's money you could easily have been looking at

Gretzky $14M
Messier $10 M
Kurri $8M
Anderson $7.5M
Coffey $10M
Fuhr $8M
That's $57.5M on 6 contracts.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I think McDavid has seen the team take a big step forward this year and while a quick playoff exit would be disappointing, it won’t influence his future.
This is likely true but there might be a change in attitude. An attitude which in his case might have serious ripple effects.

North

Jun 25, 2009
This is likely true but there might be a change in attitude. An attitude which in his case might have serious ripple effects.

He’s well aware this summer will bring about change. It was reported that Holland had a sit down meeting with him to tell him the plan moving forward when he took over.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm going to respectively disagree and use Kieth Yandle as an example.

His game is pretty similar. Very offensive minded, good puck mover but like Barrie his skills in his own end are somewhat limited.

While Yandle doesn't quite have the same shot, he's still producing points and his production has been just as consistent in his 30s as he was in his mid/late 20s.

Signing Barrie to a longer term deal (5 or 6 yrs) will not hurt the team going forward
Florida fans seem to hate Yandle now though, and he has the worst plus minus on their D, and has been not worth his deal for a little while now. He's also 34. Barrie turns 30 in July. So even if we are using Yandle as a comparable, we don't want more than 3 years of Barrie at a high cap hit.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Gretzky won those cups before many if not most here were born.
Teenager oil fans dont even know who Weight, Smyth and Hemsky were.
You don't have to be around during the time to know something about something, including your favourite team. Pretty sure most Leafer fans know their team last won a cup in 1967;)

Reactions: Biltmore and LTIR

North

Jun 25, 2009
Florida fans seem to hate Yandle now though, and he has the worst plus minus on their D, and has been not worth his deal for a little while now. He's also 34. Barrie turns 30 in July. So even if we are using Yandle as a comparable, we don't want more than 3 years of Barrie at a high cap hit.

Florida has wanted to move on from Yandle for awhile.

Reactions: Mr Positive

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You’d have to hope he ages like Brian Rafalski to break even on the deal.
Or you get quality out of him for two or three seasons and trade him for positive value when Bouchard is primed for more responsibility.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Paul Coffey and Brian Leetch had long careers.
I always thought of Leetch as more well rounded (I could be wrong). As for Coffey, I checked and his last true impact season was in 1995-6 when he was 34, and I'd still say Coffey was better than Barrie and so we can't expect Barrie to last quite that long at a high level, and even if he's still useful the cap makes it hard to justify tacking on expensive AAV years at the end. But you are definitely right that Coffey had a very long career. I wasn't even aware he stayed on that long.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I have a feeling that McDavid isn't that hard-headed. He probably knows that teams don't get built overnight.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Probablyy right this minute Winnipeg's decision makers in their conference room finalizing the overall strategy (hope the coffee is bad). They will have gone through their SWOT yesterday. Edmonton's final two meaningless games certainly reinforced a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad