Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Adam Larsson for 3-4 years at 3.75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's a conservative number. 24M in cap space, 11M or so to re-sign Larsson, Yamamoto, Khaira and to pay a few depth players to get up to a 23 man roster. I don't think that math is off.

If they have considerably more that's great. The point is 12-13M is actually a lot of money right now. Dollar for dollar, much more than it would have it been 2 years ago.

I had $11.5M available with RNH and Barrie signed for $11M combined and Larsson and Yamamoto at $6.5M combined but without Klefbom. With Klefbom back, that's $7.5M available with top 6 winger and goalie as the obvious holes. If both RNH and Barrie walk, that's roughly $18M+ to fill the remaining holes.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
There's quite a few assumptions that have to be made to figure out our cap space right?
And even then Holland probably had a plan for Kostko....but now with his implosion ...what do we do?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
XXXXXX - McDavid (12.5) - Puljujarvi (1.175, RFA)
XXXXXX - Draisaitl (8.5) - XXXXXX
XXXXXX - XXXXXX - Archibald (1.5, UFA)
Neal (5.75) - XXXXXX - Kassian (3.2)
Turris (1.65, UFA)
McLeod (0.834)

Nurse (5.6, UFA) - XXXXXX
XXXXXX - Bear (2.0, RFA)
Lagesson (0.725, RFA) - Bouchard (0.863)
Klefbom (4.167)
Jones (0.85, RFA)
Russell (1.25, UFA)

XXXXXX
Koskinen (4.5, UFA)

Sekera (1.5)
Lucic (0.75)

(57.314)
24.286 in available cap space.

RFAs: Yamamoto (0.892), Kahun (0.975), Khaira (1.2), Benson (0.808)
Notable UFAs: Nugent-Hopkins (6.0), Barrie (3.75), Larsson (4.1), Kulikov (1.15), Ennis (1.0), Haas (0.915)

$29M of player salary comes off the books, plus a little over $2M of dead cap to add up to $31M of space with RNH, Larsson, Barrie and Yamamoto to re-sign and fill out the rest of the roster. This is also assuming that Klefbom stays on LTIR, if not it's $27M but lets say for the sake of argument that he stays on LTIR. I will also assume that Holland sends zero money out and no buyouts and to elaborate on this, Neal and Koskinen will be a little easier to move with one less year of term on their contract and are easier to buy out now so they'll have that option if need be but lets assume that Holland doesn't.

$31M of available cap space.
Lets say they sign RNH and Larsson at similar caphits to their previous contract, reasonable no?
$21M of available cap space.
Lets say they sign Barrie for $5M/yr. Maybe a little cheap but I don't think Holland gives him "fair" market value so either takes a little less to stay here or walks
$16M of available cap space
Yamamoto looks like a bridge to state the obvious... The Oilers have the leverage here like they did with Bear and it being flat cap so... 2 years $2.5M
$13.5M of available cap space
Lets examine the roster...

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
???-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Kassian-???-Archibald
Neal-Turris-???

Nurse-Barrie
???-Larsson
Russell-Bear

Bouchard (I wonder how he fits in if they re-sign Barrie and Larsson, complicated)

Koskinen
???

A couple of those ??? can be filled with prospects or re-sign Khaira/Haas for cheap so that's about $2M gone so we're left with $11.5M for #2LW, #2D and goalie. Won't be able to fill all those holes unless they buy out Neal and/or Koskinen or move some money out but there's flexibility to at least fill SOME holes with good players as opposed to the bargain bin diving Holland has had to do the last two offseasons.
Hell, even Klefbom and Smith could fill two of those holes at about $6M then you have $5.5M left for a LW+extra forward and this is with re-signing everybody.

This is what I posted a while back...

$31M of cap space available before any re-signings.
Actually, I don't think I had included Klefbom and Kassian because they were on LTIR so I guess it would be $24M like you said. My bad

In any event, I'd be surprised if Holland didn't buy out one of Neal or Koskinen so that would be $3-$4M of extra space but would also leave a hole if Koskinen is the one bought out.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
$29M of player salary comes off the books, plus a little over $2M of dead cap to add up to $31M of space with RNH, Larsson, Barrie and Yamamoto to re-sign and fill out the rest of the roster. This is also assuming that Klefbom stays on LTIR, if not it's $27M but lets say for the sake of argument that he stays on LTIR. I will also assume that Holland sends zero money out and no buyouts and to elaborate on this, Neal and Koskinen will be a little easier to move with one less year of term on their contract and are easier to buy out now so they'll have that option if need be but lets assume that Holland doesn't.

Lets say they sign RNH and Larsson at similar caphits to their previous contract, reasonable no?
Lets say they sign Barrie for $5M/yr. Maybe a little cheap but I don't think Holland gives him "fair" market value so either takes a little less to stay here or walks
Yamamoto looks like a bridge to state the obvious... The Oilers have the leverage here like they did with Bear and it being flat cap so... 2 years $2.5M

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
???-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Kassian-???-Archibald
Neal-Turris-???

Nurse-Barrie
???-Larsson
Russell-Bear

Bouchard (I wonder how he fits in if they re-sign Barrie and Larsson, complicated)

Koskinen
???

A couple of those ??? can be filled with prospects or re-sign Khaira/Haas for cheap so that's about $2M gone so we're left with $11.5M for #2LW, #2D and goalie. Won't be able to fill all those holes unless they buy out Neal and/or Koskinen or move some money out but there's flexibility to at least fill SOME holes with good players as opposed to the bargain bin diving Holland has had to do the last two offseasons.
Hell, even Klefbom and Smith could fill two of those holes at about $6M then you have $5.5M left for a LW+extra forward and this is with re-signing everybody.

Actually, I don't think I had included Klefbom and Kassian because they were on LTIR so I guess it would be $24M like you said. My bad

In any event, I'd be surprised if Holland didn't buy out one of Neal or Koskinen so that would be $3-$4M of extra space but would also leave a hole if Koskinen is the one bought out.

If he buys out both that’s and extra 6M. Bury Turris in the minors and it’s another 1M. There are options.

Reactions: McDoused

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Talbot got out of Edmonton just before Schwartz ruined him.

This. Are you watching the game right now? Jesus, Cam has taken out the Schwartz-isms out of his game- you all know what they are- making himself look small in the net, too much time on your knees, glove hand, first shot first total. Cam is upright a lot more, he is down and quick to his feet, his glove is in better positioned and not anchored to his body, not over-committing. Same thing Smith worked on in the summer with his non-oiler goalie coach.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
If we can sign Barrie, RNH and Lars for reasonable deals and then add another quality offensive LW and some quality veteran UFA forwards that want to chase a cup we would be in business. Oh yeah and a goalie to push Smith.

There is actually no need to sign Barrie as we have Bouchard sitting just because of him. Thats just extra cap in one bucker. Use that cap for a extra W, as Saad or a forechecker deluxe to hunt the puck for McDavid, and a vet LD, and a goalie back up- then Oilers are set for next season. oh yeah. Resign everyone. Except Barrie. Ennis seems done too. I belive in this group. Even Chiasson. Buy out Neal if you have to. sending a 1 st to Seattle to take Neal may be a great idea, like if you make a deep playoffrub run, we select low. Then use it to get rid of Neals contract= good deal.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
???-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Kassian-???-Archibald
Neal-Turris-???

Nurse-Barrie
???-Larsson
Russell-Bear

Koskinen
???

That's less clear than what I posted. Those are the actual cap numbers on the book today with the players who require new contracts after 21/22 marked with their FA status.

Klefbom is always on the roster. The only way he gives us additional space is if the team chooses to spend the entire season in LTIR. You also need to factor in the contracts of depth players who are likely to be on the roster next season. That's a good chunk of cap right there.

I don't disagree that there'd be money left over if Holland managed to re-sign all of Edmonton's notable FA's, but I don't think it'd be easy, nor would I suggest it'd be wise to add a $5m+ forward. We do need additional flexibility to make mid-season moves.

I'm really interested to see how he manages the contracts of Kassian, Koskinen and Neal. There's a lot of potential salary that could be opened up by eliminating any or all of that committed salary. I could also see Klefbom and Bear as potential contracts that could be moved in the right deals to open up additional flexibility.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's less clear than what I posted. Those are the actual cap numbers on the book today with the players who require new contracts after 21/22 marked with their FA status.

Klefbom is always on the roster. The only way he gives us additional space is if the team chooses to spend the entire season in LTIR. You also need to factor in the contracts of depth players who are likely to be on the roster next season. That's a good chunk of cap right there.

I don't disagree that there'd be money left over if Holland managed to re-sign all of Edmonton's notable FA's, but I don't think it'd be easy, nor would I suggest it'd be wise to add a $5m+ forward. We do need additional flexibility to make mid-season moves.

I'm really interested to see how he manages the contracts of Kassian, Koskinen and Neal. There's a lot of potential salary that could be opened up by eliminating any or all of that committed salary. I could also see Klefbom and Bear as potential contracts that could be moved in the right deals to open up additional flexibility.

I think it's far from given that Klefbom is on the roster next season so I didn't include him in my initial calculations. I also included depth players in my chart.

A lot will depend on two things, Klefbom's status and Barrie re-signing or not. If both are on the roster, it certainly makes things tight especially because as you said, they will need to leave some cushion for potential deadline acquisitions. If both are gone, it changes everything. Even if only one of Klefbom or Barrie is here, it opens up things. I can't imagine that either RNH or Larsson are gone so I'm penciling them in at roughly $10M.

It appears more and more likely to me that Koskinen gets bought out IMO. Frees up $3M for another goalie and bring Smith back. If that happens, Neal won't be bought out I'd assume.
I think they have to spend on a top 6 forward. If they want to take another step, they need a proven scoring forward to provide something consistent to allow the two centers to remain split or if they play McDrai together to give Nuge some winger help. I think the 3rd line will feature a lot of youth, McLeod and Holloway. Then guys like Khaira, Archibald, Kassian and Neal to fill out the other spots with maybe Haas and/or Kahun returning as the extra.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think it's far from given that Klefbom is on the roster next season so I didn't include him in my initial calculations. I also included depth players in my chart.

A lot will depend on two things, Klefbom's status and Barrie re-signing or not. If both are on the roster, it certainly makes things tight especially because as you said, they will need to leave some cushion for potential deadline acquisitions. If both are gone, it changes everything. Even if only one of Klefbom or Barrie is here, it opens up things. I can't imagine that either RNH or Larsson are gone so I'm penciling them in at roughly $10M.

It appears more and more likely to me that Koskinen gets bought out IMO. Frees up $3M for another goalie and bring Smith back. If that happens, Neal won't be bought out I'd assume.
I think they have to spend on a top 6 forward. If they want to take another step, they need a proven scoring forward to provide something consisten to allow the two centers to remain split or if they play McDrai together to give Nuge some winger help. I think the 3rd line will feature a lot of youth, McLeod and Holloway. Then guys like Khaira, Archibald, Kassian and Neal to fill out the other spots with maybe Haas and/or Kahun returning as the extra.
If they don't start out using LTIR then they will probably be fine with deadline aquisitions. Teams are willing to eat salary at the deadline and if you don't need LTIR you do accrue space.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
This. Are you watching the game right now? Jesus, Cam has taken out the Schwartz-isms out of his game- you all know what they are- making himself look small in the net, too much time on your knees, glove hand, first shot first total. Cam is upright a lot more, he is down and quick to his feet, his glove is in better positioned and not anchored to his body, not over-committing. Same thing Smith worked on in the summer with his non-oiler goalie coach.

The ironic thing...Freddy Chabot is the Wild's goalie coach.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There's quite a few assumptions that have to be made to figure out our cap space right?
And even then Holland probably had a plan for Kostko....but now with his implosion ...what do we do?
It's entirely possible that Holland sticks with Koskinen as an expensive back up. It's hard for me to tell what Holland will do, or Tipett for that matter.

Ultimately, we are talking about who is back up goalie. The stakes are low so it's not like it's a firable offense to keep him. If the choice is that or have dead cap in 2022-23, I could see opting to keep him

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's entirely possible that Holland sticks with Koskinen as an expensive back up. It's hard for me to tell what Holland will do, or Tipett for that matter.

Ultimately, we are talking about who is back up goalie. The stakes are low so it's not like it's a firable offense to keep him. If the choice is that or have dead cap in 2022-23, I could see opting to keep him

I think it's pretty clear what Holland and Tippett think about Koskinen who they both inherited. Tippett opted to start Smith in the play-in series. In an off-season where Holland was scraping nickels together to build out a pretty threadbare roster one of his earliest and most aggressive calls was to land Markstrom on a long-term contract. Smith has been a revelation this year. But this team still needs to improve its goaltending for the crucial next 3-5 years.

Reactions: ujju2

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think it's pretty clear what Holland and Tippett think about Koskinen who they both inherited. Tippett opted to start Smith in the play-in series. In an off-season where Holland was scraping nickels together to build out a pretty threadbare roster one of his earliest and most aggressive calls was to land Markstrom on a long-term contract. Smith has been a revelation this year. But this team still needs to improve its goaltending for the crucial next 3-5 years.
We need to get a long term starting goaltender. That's a totally different issue than the drama for back up goalie. Theres a zero percent chance that Holland's plan is to have Koskinen be starting goalie next year. I'd hope anyway

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
We need to get a long term starting goaltender. That's a totally different issue than the drama for back up goalie. Theres a zero percent chance that Holland's plan is to have Koskinen be starting goalie next year. I'd hope anyway
Yeah I'm concerned about goaltending next year also. Holland will really have his work cut out for him I think. Who's even avail in the offseason as far as starters go? Is it just me or does it feel like there's a real starter quality goaltender shortage in the league right now?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If we can buyout/move Koskinen and get a legit starting goalie then I think Smith will be good as a backup for 25-30 games next season.

Reactions: McDoused

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah I'm concerned about goaltending next year also. Holland will really have his work cut out for him I think. Who's even avail in the offseason as far as starters go? Is it just me or does it feel like there's a real starter quality goaltender shortage in the league right now?
I feel the opposite. There's too many. Fleury is starting for Vegas and he's UFA. My top candidate is Driedger, who would be the starter in Florida if not for Bob's contract. Ullmark basically said that he's leaving Buffalo. He's great, but injury prone (but many "injury prone" players suddenly stop getting injured. Sometimes it's bad luck). Expansion probably knocks a few good goalies loose, but I'm not sure who.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Quite the opposite IMO. I look around the league and see a ton of options available through free agency of via Seattle in the ED.

Driedger in Florida, Rask in Boston, Andersen in Toronto, Allen in Montreal, one of the Ottawa goaltenders, Khudobin in Dallas, Grubauer in Colorado, Ullmark in Buffalo, someone form Carolina. Talbot in Minnesota, etc.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
After Francilia worked miracles with Schmitty, they should sign two more of his clients.

Driedger and Reimer. Couple of Manitoba boys. Young up and coming 1A and veteran 1B.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
My plan would be to sign Smith as a tandem for next year given his age. However if he is able to run with it like he has this year he should be given every opportunity to do so.

Also running the numbers it looks like if we buyout koskinen and Neal not only should we have enough cap space to sign Barrie (5.5) and RNH (5.75) but we would have roughly 9M to sign a tandem goaltender and #1 LW to play with Connor.

I've already deducted Bear as I think he would be moved out in a deal if Barrie signs here.

xxxx-McDavid(12.5)-Puljujarvi(1.175)
RNH(5.75)-Draisaitl(8.5)-Yamamoto(2.5)
Holloway(0.925)-Kharia(1.4)-Archibald(1.5)
Benson(0.85)-McLeod(0.834)-Kassian(3.2)
Haas(0.85)-Shore(0.85)
Nurse(5.6)-Barrie(5.5)
Klefbom(4.167)-Larsson(3.75)
Russell(1.25)-Bouchard(0.863)
Lagesson(0.725)
Smith(3.5)
xxxx
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.