Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion 2020/21 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You know I was thinking earlier today about how on the one hand, two pieces, a Rd and a centre, shouldn't be too hard to find, and then bang we return to our contending status.

But it's the quality of those two pieces that is so hard to acquire.

I don't think trading Laine will fill both of those holes. He could one of them very effectively, but not both. Question is, is there enough left in the organization to get us over the hump? The development of Samberg and Heinola will be very telling. If they exceed expectations it really changes the nature of our D.

If we could sign Pietrangelo it would solve one problem perfectly, then free up a trade of Laine for centers.

If a year goes by and our prospects are developing slowly, still in the AHL, and we have not made any other significant acquisitions, it will probably be too late. Schief will be another year closer to thirty, Wheeler will be much less effective, much frustration will abound. God if Helle's play drops off at all, we are hooped.

It may not be possible to plug both of those holes by trading Laine. It probably will not if we insist on a decent level of quality. I don't think we should accept marginal quality. That doesn't make up for the loss of Laine.

What might be more likely though, is a quality fix for one of those spots + an adequate replacement RW. Something like Pulock + Wahlstrom from NYI, for example.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd agree pay him what he is worth. $8 million final offer take it or get moved.

Really? What if he scores 90 pts next year? What if his 3 zone play also improves even further? What if his physical play takes another step up?

It is not just that he is still improving, but so far his trajectory has been quite steep. That may level off. He may never do any of those things above. In which case, he probably accepts 8 mil, or so. But he very well might do all of those things next year. If so, his number is a lot higher - and we should be glad to pay it.

Reactions: Nedarb

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Really? What if he scores 90 pts next year? What if his 3 zone play also improves even further? What if his physical play takes another step up?

It is not just that he is still improving, but so far his trajectory has been quite steep. That may level off. He may never do any of those things above. In which case, he probably accepts 8 mil, or so. But he very well might do all of those things next year. If so, his number is a lot higher - and we should be glad to pay it.

If he becomes that kind of player then I'm game to pay him like that kind of player.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Sanheim has played a lot on the right side in Philly. You've done too many things there. I can't sort them all in my head. :laugh:

I don't think that works with the cap. Not sure, so much change, so many moving pieces. :scared:
Cap works - actually leaves us with around 4.4M in space if Pietrangelo comes in at 9.25x7, Cirelli at 6x5, DeMelo at 3.25x3, and RFA’s bumped up a bit. Obviously leaves room as well for a few $100k in every signing, just in case.
Flying V2 - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If he becomes that kind of player then I'm game to pay him like that kind of player.

:laugh: That's all I've been saying all along. Except that if we trade him, the return has to reflect that potential. If no team is willing to gamble on him and pay accordingly, then it doesn't make sense for us to trade him.

And to circle back to our duel, it isn't that Domi and Dumba couldn't be an upgrade on what we have otherwise. It is that they could not compensate for the loss of Laine. Even if Laine hits a wall.

Edit: For Laine's next contract, we need to see what he does next year. We still have insufficient information.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Nylander is not enough if Pietrangelo needs 9+. Nylander only gets them 7, minus at least 1 mil for a replacement RW is 6. They still need 3. Move Johnsson gets them another 3.4, minus 1 mil for a replacement is 2.4. They still need over a half mil, but maybe they can squeeze that out of their RFA's.

The rumour is that he already rejected 7.5 from StL. Is he going to go to Toronto for what he turned down in StL? The team that drafted him and where he has played his entire career? Maybe he grew up wearing Leafs pajamas too.
Sure, they have to make moves to fit him under the cap, but I think it’s Nylander instead of Marner that gets moved.

Freddy is likely gone too, so it depends who they sign as their goalie, and at what price. They might be closer than we think fitting it all together.

AP will get $9+M to move, otherwise, he could likely stay in St Louis for about $8M and probably would. A team will have to come forward with that sort of offer, and I think the Leafs try very hard. I also think the Golden Knights are big time players. They want to win.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't see us being anywhere in contention for Pietrangelo. We are paying Morrissey $8 million for this season, put an A on him, I don't think True North goes and gets a higher paid player when they consider him the leader long term. This is the team I put together by trading for Dumba. Had to buy out Perreault to leave the door open for Little to return. I traded Berdin because I think he is going to Russia to play, and wants to play in the NHL. I don't think the Jets can keep him unless they guarantee him the spot behind Hellebuyck. Ottawa is a real chance for him though to be a starter. Hawryluk is some depth at RH centre, to which we have none, especially if we trade Roslovic. Or start the season without Little. Room for Gus and Ves to move up the lineup. Haula and Hamonic mid range free agent signings. Both help the PK.

Trades

WPG

1. Dumba, Matt
MIN

1. Poolman, Tucker
  2. Roslovic, Jack [RFA Rights]
  3. 2021 1st round pick (WPG)
WPG

1. Hawryluk, Jayce [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 6th round pick (St. Louis)
OTT

1. Berdin, Mikhail
Buyouts

• Mathieu Perreault: $1,458,333
DRAFT YEARROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg

st_louis_blues.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
winnipeg_jets.svg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$76,981,189$0$150,000$4,5188,811
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Connor, Kyle
$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 6
Scheifele, Mark
$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Wheeler, Blake
$8,250,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 4
Ehlers, Nikolaj
$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
Haula, Erik
$3,250,000
C, LW
UFA-2
Laine, Patrik
$6,750,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Harkins, Jansen
$925,000
LW
RFA-2
Lowry, Adam
$2,916,666
C
UFA - 1
Copp, Andrew
$2,280,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Suess, C.J.
$725,000
LW
UFA-1
Hawryluk, Jayce
$850,000
LW, C
RFA-2
Appleton, Mason
$950,000
RW, C
RFA-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Morrissey, Joshua
$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 8
Dumba, Matt
$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
Hellebuyck, Connor
$6,166,666
G
UFA - 4
Samberg, Dylan
$925,000
LD
RFA - 3
Pionk, Neal
$3,000,000
RD
RFA - 1
Hutchinson, Michael
$800,000
G
UFA-2
Beaulieu, Nathan
$1,750,000
LD
UFA-2
Hamonic, Travis
$3,000,000
RD
UFA-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
ScratchesLong Term IR (LTIR)
Niku, Sami
$725,000
RD
RFA-1
Little, Bryan
$5,291,666
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Luoto, Joona
$741,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Non-Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Vesalainen, Kristian
$894,167
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Gustafsson, David
$817,500
C
RFA - 2
Reichel, Kristian
$752,500
C
RFA - 2
McKenzie, Skyler
$741,666
C
RFA - 1
Virtanen, Santeri
$735,000
C
RFA-3
Weise, Dale
$750,000
RW, LW
UFA-1
Shaw, Logan
$700,000
C, RW
UFA-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Heinola, Ville
$894,167
LD
RFA - 3
Kovacevic, Johnny
$792,500
LD
RFA - 1
Comrie, Eric
$700,000
G
RFA - 1
Dahlström, Carl
$850,000
LD
RFA - 1
Gawanke, Leon
$796,667
LD
RFA - 2
Holm, Arvid
$845,833
G
RFA - 3
Stanley, Logan
$863,333
LD
RFA - 1
Chisholm, Declan
$815,000
RD
RFA - 3
Schilling, Cameron
$750,000
LD
UFA-2
Green, Luke
$733,333
RD
RFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

No idea why you make that trade for Hawryluk. None.

Dumba trade is probably about right, IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bill Guerin shaking up the leadership core and dressing room by dumpling old character players that were key leaders. At this point I am not sure what the plan is to fill in the holes he’s creating? Me Thinks Dumba is the piece he feels will bring him back a centre but time will tell I guess?

I think Guerin will be disappointed in the quality of C he is offered for Dumba.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Wonder if we try and offersheet Pulock
Wouldn't make sense for the isles not to match. How much are we gonna give him?

6,500,000 x 7 years? 5 years?

That is 2 1sts, a 2nd a 3rd. Would you trade that for him? Or more importantly, would you trade ehlers or laine for that because that would probably be the ask in trade.

Or we try doing it for a lesser piece and take ladd back. We could reunite LLW and bingo laine has his centre in schief lol

Whileee

May 29, 2010
(I know this isn't a roster thread but it plays a part in trades)

Shocked at how many want to run CSW again. Hasn't that line been a little bit middling for a long time now?

I think either you have to aim at ESW, ESL... OR, perhaps CSW could work well if Ehlers is given the #1 powerplay half-wall spot? Wheeler might shine more at 5-5 with a bit of minute reduction, and Ehlers absolutely deserves a heap more minutes IMO.
Overall, the CSW line has been the Jets' best over the past 3 seasons. ESW has also been a very good line, but then you have Connor with Laine, which hasn't worked well.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Yeah. Agree that Connor and Laine kind of suck together.

Trouble is Laine needs to be built around. I guess Connor does too to a degree.

My dream would be to use Connor on a third line scoring line and really balance out the lines but that is obviously not this coach' style.

We definitely seem to lack line driving though, so perhaps putting our two best (Ehlers and Scheif) together is a luxury we can't afford.

Do you see a bit of a problem with the thought of doing everything possible to make Laine content but instead moving our leading goal scorer over the past two years to the third line. Why not move Laine to the third line to have 3 scoring lines?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
There is speculation that the Isles want a goal scorer. I think Laine fits the bill. I also wonder if we do them a "favor" and take some salary from them. Here me out before you shout me down lol

Laine to the Isles

for
Pulock + Beauvillier + Ladd + Wahlstrom and add ons. I just don't know what would be worth it to take on Ladds contract

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wouldn't make sense for the isles not to match. How much are we gonna give him?

6,500,000 x 7 years? 5 years?

That is 2 1sts, a 2nd a 3rd. Would you trade that for him? Or more importantly, would you trade ehlers or laine for that because that would probably be the ask in trade.

Or we try doing it for a lesser piece and take ladd back. We could reunite LLW and bingo laine has his centre in schief lol
Pulock is good, but he's the type of D that you can often pick up in the draft anywhere from the middle through the end of the 1st round.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Do you see a bit of a problem with the thought of doing everything possible to make Laine content but instead moving our leading goal scorer over the past two years to the third line. Why not move Laine to the third line to have 3 scoring lines?

I think you have to bet a little bit on your 2OA star sniper. Laine has more potential than anyone on this team; I think we're much, much better off if we can help him realize it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is speculation that the Isles want a goal scorer. I think Laine fits the bill. I also wonder if we do them a "favor" and take some salary from them. Here me out before you shout me down lol

Laine to the Isles

for
Pulock + Beauvillier + Ladd + Wahlstrom and add ons. I just don't know what would be worth it to take on Ladds contract
I would want at least one more prime piece, especially if the Jets take Ladd's contract. The financial cost of buying him out wouldn't be an issue, but he would leave a cap hit of over $4.8M on the books for 3 more seasons. If the Jets did this, they would need to be looking at a youth movement over the next few years, because the cap situation would be a constraint over the next 3 years. I don't think that's a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad