Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion 2020/21 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I took a crack at it trying to make it realistic as to what Chevy might do, not what he should do:

Trade Laine to Minnesota for Dumba + Eriksson Ek
Sign Dadonov
Sign Dillon
Trade 3rd round pick to Vegas for Reaves

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Dadonov - Eriksson Ek - Ehlers
Harkins - Lowry - Roslovic
Vesalainen - Copp - Appleton
Gustafsson, Reaves

Morrissey - Dumba
Samberg - Pionk
Dillon - Heinola
Poolman

Hellebucyk
Brossoit

That Laine trade should get Chevy fired so fast .......

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just asked my wife if I was a NHL player and I had my choice of where to sign would you want me to choose Vancouver,LA,Tampa,Chicago,Toronto,Buffalo or Winnipeg? List them I said. Winnipeg was dead last and she was born here

Born here. Doesn't know any better. :naughty:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
what’s Nylander trade value?
‘21 1st + ????

Would rather keep #10 to address which ever need we didn’t fix by trading Laine.

Currently the Jets don’t have any valuable forward prospects that would be good pieces in a Nylander trade. Jets best prospects are Samberg and Heinola.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Currently the Jets don’t have any valuable forward prospects that would be good pieces in a Nylander trade. Jets best prospects are Samberg and Heinola.
Leafs are only shopping nylander if they sign Pietrangelo right? I'd offer 2021 (top 10 protected) 1st plus one of samberg or heinola

Or 2020 1st+vesalainen

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Boston. Brandon Carlo 6'5" RHD signed for $2,850,000 and still under RFA status. Talk is to move him for Boeser to pair him with Hughes but what if there was a way to add to Carlo to make the Laine move more worthwhile? Studnicka is the future 2nd line C to take over for Krejci but could he be ready now? He played two games before Covid shutdown and scored a goal and also played in the playoffs this year.

To Winnipeg:

RHD Carlo
C Studnicka
2021 1st

To Boston:

RW Laine

Cost controlled C and RHD ready to play now but I honestly don't know if Studnicka is worth giving up on with Bergeron and Krejci aging out. Jets fans may remember him from the WJC Team.

Again, just trying to respond to your conversation with specific needs if Laine was indeed on the table.

Cheers!

I don't know your 2 players well enough to commit, but it looks interesting. I'm a bit surprised that Carlo might be available.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I’m hoping we don’t try and go after Krug. The last thing we need is another small soft defender
I disagree Krug and Hamonic would be great additions.

Morrisey, Hamonic
Krug,Pionk
Samberg, Poolman

Heinola and Niku could get you the 2nd line centre the jets need.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Boston. Brandon Carlo 6'5" RHD signed for $2,850,000 and still under RFA status. Talk is to move him for Boeser to pair him with Hughes but what if there was a way to add to Carlo to make the Laine move more worthwhile? Studnicka is the future 2nd line C to take over for Krejci but could he be ready now? He played two games before Covid shutdown and scored a goal and also played in the playoffs this year.

To Winnipeg:

RHD Carlo
C Studnicka
2021 1st

To Boston:

RW Laine

Cost controlled C and RHD ready to play now but I honestly don't know if Studnicka is worth giving up on with Bergeron and Krejci aging out. Jets fans may remember him from the WJC Team.

Again, just trying to respond to your conversation with specific needs if Laine was indeed on the table.

Cheers!

Hb Laine+Pionk for McAvoy+Studnicka+1st

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am sure Pietrangelo will have a pretty good book on Winnipeg based on being long time teammates of Steen and in the past Reeves. Stastny will also have likely put in a good word.

I am not sure what it is he is looking for in his next spot, but as mentioned Winnipeg seems to be a good place to settle down and raise a family with a decent amount of fun things to see and do around the city. I still doubt we would be a top 3 choice but those areas might not want him or can afford him so who knows.

Even if he was willing to come here, I would not want to give him the contract he probably gets elsewhere. Much as I would like to have him right now.

Reactions: surixon

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
what’s Nylander trade value?
‘21 1st + ????

Would rather keep #10 to address which ever need we didn’t fix by trading Laine.

Kapanen got 15th overall and a good prospect. I'm sure the Leafs will be valuing Nylander like we would value Ehlers if we had to trade him.

Reactions: BatVader

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Leafs are only shopping nylander if they sign Pietrangelo right? I'd offer 2021 (top 10 protected) 1st plus one of samberg or heinola

Or 2020 1st+vesalainen

I think 2021 1st & one of Samberg or Heinola would be a pretty decent offer.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You need to be somewhat ruthless as it's a business after all. Scheifele could have bridged but he wanted the stability of a longer term deal. He ultimately made his choice and signed that contract. Just because it turns out he was underpaid for it doesnt obligate us to retroactively compensate him on his next deal.

That may have happened often enough in the past. That was before top players started getting paid on their 2nd or even 3rd contracts.

Scheifele will get paid for his play at that time when he re-signs. His choice will be to go elsewhere and certainly no other team is going to give him makeup pay.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Or 2020 1st+vesalainen

I think we'd easily get outbid. Kapanen got 15th overall and a good prospect. Leafs wont just give him away. There will be a bidding war.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think 2021 1st & one of Samberg or Heinola would be a pretty decent offer.
Yeah I think so. Our 2021 1st with nylander and some defensive additions will probably be in the 20s as opposed to 10th. But they do get a better prospect In Heinola/samberg vs Ves

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think we'd easily get outbid. Kapanen got 15th overall and a good prospect. Leafs wont just give him away. There will be a bidding war.
Which team will give them a pick better than 10th overall to start?

Maybe there's better expendable prospects but are they better than who's there at 10th?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup. When he asks for it, Krejci and Rask are off the books. I was assuming he would be 8.5-9.5 range. Just for perspective, the Bruins have 19/23 guys signed with 14.4 million in cap space and Rask and Krejci coming off next year. It took them awhile, but they are now out from any bad contracts with the Backes trade.

They need to buy now this year a RW for this years' run with Krejci and Rask and having Marchand and Pastrnak making 6.1 and 6.6.

I believe this also solves a lot of future cap issues for the Jets and addresses the two needs you are were discussing.

Boston's problems are Boston's problems. If Bruins are willing to give us what we need and pay fair value for Laine, I'm not going to tell them they are making a mistake. :laugh:

Reactions: Coach Parker

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who cares. That is awful for the Jets. Carlo is fine, but really not anything close to the kind of player that forms a key part of a trade for Laine.

Not better than DeMelo playing with JMo?

What about Studnicka? I know nothing about him, but his scoring stats look OK. Not knock your socks off, but steady growth.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree, there has to be an add here. A 2nd in 2021 at the least.

There is already a 2021 1st in the package. I think that makes up the value. It is just a question of how good those 2 players are and if both GM's would agree to do it.

I thought Carlo was pretty good by reputation, but that is pretty vague. Studnicka I know nothing about. I would like more opinions from people with more in depth views of them.

jetswin

Jul 24, 2011
I disagree Krug and Hamonic would be great additions.

Morrisey, Hamonic
Krug,Pionk
Samberg, Poolman

Heinola and Niku could get you the 2nd line centre the jets need.
Krug an Pionk would potentially be one of the worst defensive pairings in the league.:laugh:

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
All these things are true - especially the mushy middle.
But I think bad luck had something to do with our mush - and maybe a bad decision here and there.
We lost a first round pick on a bad deadline deal and we lost a couple of good players on bad luck (Buff / Little).
If those things happen, all bets are off.

It sounds like you are comparing to what we did the last 9 years and planning a repeat - without the bad luck. Difference is that we picked 7, 9, 13, 9, 17 (got a top 10 player there) and 2. If we were to drop down, we could repeat. But we would need to trade a few good players for futures to get bad enough to do that. As it is now, we would be picking 17-25, year after year.

Last edited:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I don't know your 2 players well enough to commit, but it looks interesting. I'm a bit surprised that Carlo might be available.

If they really want to solve the top winger problem then they have to give to get. In this case, the target would easily be Carlo for Winnipeg because it is a primary need. Same for Boeser in Vancouver to pair him with Hughes.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Pionk and Krug would rock on the PP.

Even strength could mix with with Samberg and Poolman as needed.

Sign Krug and trade for Carlo and put them together. Protect those two and Morrissey. Pionk and Morrissey the other pairing. Top four set.

For the record, I love Krug but the one spot the Bruins are sitting well with is LHD prospects ready to play and he has made it clear this is his one shot at a payday. Him and Grzelcyk as the top two in Boston means two 5'9" LHD playing most of the time with Zboril and Vaakanianen getting third line minutes. Removing Chara makes it clear how small they are on LHD. One has to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->