Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion 2020/21 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
(I know this isn't a roster thread but it plays a part in trades)

Shocked at how many want to run CSW again. Hasn't that line been a little bit middling for a long time now?

I think either you have to aim at ESW, ESL... OR, perhaps CSW could work well if Ehlers is given the #1 powerplay half-wall spot? Wheeler might shine more at 5-5 with a bit of minute reduction, and Ehlers absolutely deserves a heap more minutes IMO.
My preference is ESL, but I always list CSW because we all know that’s what PoMo is going to run.
If we end up getting a young 2C, I’d move Wheeler down to the 2nd line as a mentor.

Reactions: jhdfeidgebrjdfdiufu

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
(I know this isn't a roster thread but it plays a part in trades)

Shocked at how many want to run CSW again. Hasn't that line been a little bit middling for a long time now?

I think either you have to aim at ESW, ESL... OR, perhaps CSW could work well if Ehlers is given the #1 powerplay half-wall spot? Wheeler might shine more at 5-5 with a bit of minute reduction, and Ehlers absolutely deserves a heap more minutes IMO.
CSW was fine last year, although they only played 177mins together. they did perform better than Scheifele and Laine last year.

i agree, ESW should be the top line however, connor and laine are not play-drivers, and are both terrible defensively. We do not imo have a viable top 6 C in-house that can play with those two and put up strong results. so ESW together pretty much craters the 2nd line. Even the month Laine scored 18 Goals, that line was negative at 5v5.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ugh I'd be hesitant to give up one of heinola or samberg but I may actually do it. We'd be dealing from a position of surplus to fill a need, which is how assets should be used. You have to give to get.

True. But I don't think the competition would be quite so stiff that we would be forced to move one of them. Not too many teams have cap space. But there would be competition.

I think the zero cap return doesn't work because they need a replacement. That means they need to move more. I'm thinking both Nylander and either Johnsson or Kerfoot would have to go. So I offer Rosie + Ves + '21 1st. Harkins instead of KV is a possibility. If necessary I would add a '22 3rd to that.

That gives them replacement players who are legit NHL'ers. Downgrades from what they have, obviously, but competent. And cheap. Gives them quite a bit of cap. Gives us a nice upgrade for relatively little actual money and tolerable cap hit.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
CSW was fine last year, although they only played 177mins together. they did perform better than Scheifele and Laine last year.

i agree, ESW should be the top line however, connor and laine are not play-drivers, and are both terrible defensively. We do not imo have a viable top 6 C in-house that can play with those two and put up strong results. so ESW together pretty much craters the 2nd line. Even the month Laine scored 18 Goals, that line was negative at 5v5.

Yeah. Agree that Connor and Laine kind of suck together.

Trouble is Laine needs to be built around. I guess Connor does too to a degree.

My dream would be to use Connor on a third line scoring line and really balance out the lines but that is obviously not this coach' style.

We definitely seem to lack line driving though, so perhaps putting our two best (Ehlers and Scheif) together is a luxury we can't afford.

Reactions: scarbrow21

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg

Trouble is Laine needs to be built around.

My dream would be to use Connor on a third line scoring line and really balance out the lines but that is obviously not this coach' style.

We definitely seem to lack line driving though, so perhaps putting our two best (Ehlers and Scheif) together is a luxury we can't afford.

This would be absolutely ideal. A situation where it's Connor-Roslovic-Appleton/Harkins was my hope or even Connor-Copp-Roslovic

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
This would be absolutely ideal. A situation where it's Connor-Roslovic-Appleton/Harkins was my hope or even Connor-Copp-Roslovic

Yeah! I've been penciling in a Connor - Copp - Roslo line for a long time. I think a third scoring line drawing fire would also lessen our need to have top end line drivers on the 2nd line as both lines would draw matchups away from the other.

I remember this season we had a fantastic third line for awhile. What was it... Appleton Harkins Roslovic? And then they got broken up after a handful of games where they were scoring :huh:

I'm coming to agree with a lot of Surixon's ideas about the coaching being very rigid on this team. It's bizarre to me that so many players who had crazy chemistry in the AHL (Connor Roslo for one) never even had the chance to play together at all.

Reactions: untouchable21

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
cheap and short term was my idea

Two years is almost too long. :laugh:
But for something like 1.5 mil, it might be tolerable.

Really not sure what to think of Brassard. He has been horrible and not bad in the last 2-3 years. How much has usage affected that? As you say, his numbers this year were not bad, considering TOI, etc. He made 3.5 mil salary in '20. In a Covid depressed market, he might come pretty cheaply this year. Not a long term solution but worth a shot for that price.

Reactions: Hunter368

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Trouble is Laine needs to be built around. I guess Connor does too to a degree.

this is kind of my point with Laine and Connor. They are similar players at 5v5. Good offensively, poor defensively, need others to drive play for them, they have similar strengths and weaknesses although their play styles are not really identical. Laine is a superior PP weapon, but all in all - this is why i have trouble giving laine 2-3M More than Connor.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
For star players, the Jets will always need to be careful after a bridge deal.

Yes, of course. Jets always have to be careful. But it shouldn't be extreme unless the bridge deal takes them right to UFA, or within 1 year. That's why your bridge deals leave 2 years of team control.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
this is kind of my point with Laine and Connor. They are similar players at 5v5. Good offensively, poor defensively, need others to drive play for them, they have similar strengths and weaknesses although their play styles are not really identical. Laine is a superior PP weapon, but all in all - this is why i have trouble giving laine 2-3M More than Connor.

I agree here, except I would also say that Laine has a much higher ceiling, IMHO.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I agree here, except I would also say that Laine has a much higher ceiling, IMHO.
maybe. Laine's shot has regressed from his first 2 years, going from 18% to about 12% the previous 2. He looked liked a budding super start the first 2 seasons and put up a historical 2017-2018 campaign in goal-scoring efficiency (only player to score 40+ goals in under 16.5mins/gp ), and everyone was expecting tremendous growth the following year. Imagine if we had signed him to an extension in summer 2018 at 9M+ which lots of people theorized, and he put the #'s he did the past 2 seasons.... no one here would be happy. He did get his shot with Scheifele for the most part of this year, and was a pp1 mainstay, although he did put up very good numbers, they were still not the best on that line. Idk i see Wingers like Kane, Kucherov, Stone, Panarin making 9M+ and i just don't see Laine on that level. Does Chicago ever ask who is the C we need to get Kane going? I don't think so.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I see the same thing available with Beaulieu, an expansion draft eligible d-man, if you sign him 2 years. I don't have anything against Dillon, he's a rugged defenseman, which is a need. I'm just not sure he will sign here, when some West Coast teams have holes too and money to spend. I could see him on a pairing with Doughty for instance.

Those West coast teams are all in rebuild mode. He is too old to be of real interest to them.

I think the problem with Dillon would more likely be term and contract provisions like trade protection and bonuses.

What we need on the left side is just an upgrade on Beaulieu, a 2nd/3rd pair tweener, good defensively to support Pionk. I think Jon Merrill qualifies for less money and less term than Dillon. Less competition for him and easier to sign. Pushes Beaulieu down to the PB.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Two years is almost too long. :laugh:
But for something like 1.5 mil, it might be tolerable.

Really not sure what to think of Brassard. He has been horrible and not bad in the last 2-3 years. How much has usage affected that? As you say, his numbers this year were not bad, considering TOI, etc. He made 3.5 mil salary in '20. In a Covid depressed market, he might come pretty cheaply this year. Not a long term solution but worth a shot for that price.

TOI and defensive system that NYI uses would negatively affect his production IMO

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
maybe. Laine's shot has regressed from his first 2 years, going from 18% to about 12% the previous 2. He looked liked a budding super start the first 2 seasons and put up a historical 2017-2018 campaign in goal-scoring efficiency (only player to score 40+ goals in under 16.5mins/gp ), and everyone was expecting tremendous growth the following year. Imagine if we had signed him to an extension in summer 2018 at 9M+ which lots of people theorized, and he put the #'s he did the past 2 seasons.... no one here would be happy. He did get his shot with Scheifele for the most part of this year, and was a pp1 mainstay, although he did put up very good numbers, they were still not the best on that line. Idk i see Wingers like Kane, Kucherov, Stone, Panarin making 9M+ and i just don't see Laine on that level. Does Chicago ever ask who is the C we need to get Kane going? I don't think so.

Yeah. I think it's more likely that this past year was a bit of an off year for his shooting. He didn't seem to have as good a feel for it, whether it was confidence or injury or what.

I also think that Laine's time with Scheif and Wheeler this year was when S+W were playing at their absolute worst, and Laine kind of had to carry that line. It was a bit bizarre. I don't want to get into conspiracy theory territory with it, but I wonder if something is amiss. Guess we'll probably find out one way or another.

Just to get this back on topic, I do wonder if a play-driving winger would change the complexion of the team for the better, and be a much cheaper acquisition than a C.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Building on Joe’s earlier thought—

What about Laine, Copp, Niku for Sanheim, Frost, Farabee, 23OA? Copp might walk in FA anyways; more likely we keep Lowry long term as the defensive bottom-6 C.

Farabee-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Cirelli-Ehlers
Harkins-Frost-Appleton
Gustafsson-Lowry-Maroon/Pitlick

Morrissey-Pietrangelo
Sanheim-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Poolman

Dump Perreault with Roslovic for a pick
Draft Sanderson 10OA; Lapierre 23OA

And yes, this is all a far-out dream.

Sanheim has played a lot on the right side in Philly. You've done too many things there. I can't sort them all in my head. :laugh:

I don't think that works with the cap. Not sure, so much change, so many moving pieces. :scared:

Reactions: ps241

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah. I think it's more likely that this past year was a bit of an off year for his shooting. He didn't seem to have as good a feel for it, whether it was confidence or injury or what.

I also think that Laine's time with Scheif and Wheeler this year was when S+W were playing at their absolute worst, and Laine kind of had to carry that line. It was a bit bizarre. I don't want to get into conspiracy theory territory with it, but I wonder if something is amiss. Guess we'll probably find out one way or another.

Just to get this back on topic, I do wonder if a play-driving winger would change the complexion of the team for the better, and be a much cheaper acquisition than a C.
Winger is much easier to find. look at the UFAs.... Hoffman, Dadonov, Toffolo, C. Smith, Granlund, and on the trade bait board you have Palmieri, Killorn and Anderson. Maybe Nylander if the leafs want to sign Pietrangelo to make it fit. Maybe if Vegas needs to move cap for Lehner (and Pietrangelo?) can get Stastny for a year.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Ill predict Roslo and possibly Lowry are moved for picks in the 20 to 30 Range. Yes i think both get us late firsts for sure. U know a team would overpay for Lowry and if Kapanen gets a 1st.. Roslo likely does also. Those cheap nhl contracts are gonna be important for some teams this year with no revenue from fans

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I took a crack at it trying to make it realistic as to what Chevy might do, not what he should do:

Trade Laine to Minnesota for Dumba + Eriksson Ek
Sign Dadonov
Sign Dillon
Trade 3rd round pick to Vegas for Reaves

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Dadonov - Eriksson Ek - Ehlers
Harkins - Lowry - Roslovic
Vesalainen - Copp - Appleton
Gustafsson, Reaves

Morrissey - Dumba
Samberg - Pionk
Dillon - Heinola
Poolman

Hellebucyk
Brossoit
Chevy should be fired into the sun if he makes that Laine trade.

Reactions: robertocarlos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad