Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion 2020/21 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah. Agree that Connor and Laine kind of suck together.

Trouble is Laine needs to be built around. I guess Connor does too to a degree.

My dream would be to use Connor on a third line scoring line and really balance out the lines but that is obviously not this coach' style.

We definitely seem to lack line driving though, so perhaps putting our two best (Ehlers and Scheif) together is a luxury we can't afford.
Connor would be wasted on a 3rd line. He excels in finishing off opportunities close in tight with quick hands and nice touch. He would have a small fraction of these chances playing with a # 3 Center. Add in that he doesn’t drive play on his own and it would be a bit of a mess.

Reactions: surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
McAvoy is the 2nd untouchable behind Pastrnak and maybe even above. There isn't a situation out there that moving your franchise D for a winger is a win. I'd pass on this one.
Thought so. McAvoy is a gem and a cornerstone piece for a defense group.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Which team will give them a pick better than 10th overall to start?

Maybe there's better expendable prospects but are they better than who's there at 10th?

I thought you said 2021 1st. 10th they will have a lot of interest in no doubt.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I disagree Krug and Hamonic would be great additions.

Morrisey, Hamonic
Krug,Pionk
Samberg, Poolman

Heinola and Niku could get you the 2nd line centre the jets need.
Hamonic was really bad last year. Putting him on the 1st pair is very risky, and probably won't end well. Krug and Pionk might be the smallest D pair in the NHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sign Krug and trade for Carlo and put them together. Protect those two and Morrissey. Pionk and Morrissey the other pairing. Top four set.

For the record, I love Krug but the one spot the Bruins are sitting well with is LHD prospects ready to play and he has made it clear this is his one shot at a payday. Him and Grzelcyk as the top two in Boston means two 5'9" LHD playing most of the time with Zboril and Vaakanianen getting third line minutes. Removing Chara makes it clear how small they are on LHD. One has to go.
Interestingly, LD is also the Jets strongest position in terms of prospects. Samberg looks NHL ready after three strong seasons in a top NCAA program, and Heinola looks like he's going to be ready very soon.

Carlo would be a nice addition for the Jets, but he's not the type of player that would be close to value of one of the Jets top assets like Laine, Ehlers or Connor.

Reactions: DRC

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
There is speculation that the Isles want a goal scorer. I think Laine fits the bill. I also wonder if we do them a "favor" and take some salary from them. Here me out before you shout me down lol

Laine to the Isles

for
Pulock + Beauvillier + Ladd + Wahlstrom and add ons. I just don't know what would be worth it to take on Ladds contract

I think the Isles are just going to get Parise for Ladd (add on a prospect, maybe Bellows). Parise is Lamariello's guy and would be following in his father's footsteps.

Isles have some some serious Cap issues for next year with Barzal, Pulock and Toews RFAs. I'd love to get Pulock, would trade our 1st, preferably next year's, Roslovic and Poolman for him. Maybe we get him for the #10 straight up.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Interestingly, LD is also the Jets strongest position in terms of prospects. Samberg looks NHL ready after three strong seasons in a top NCAA program, and Heinola looks like he's going to be ready very soon.

Carlo would be a nice addition for the Jets, but he's not the type of player that would be close to value of one of the Jets top assets like Laine, Ehlers or Connor.

Fair enough, and I bet he stays put and is part of the core in Boston. The reason he came up started with the Boeser talk out of Vancouver and possibly putting his years of learning under Chara then being partnered with Krug to use with Hughes for the next decade.

Thought exploring what other winger assets could be had.

Cheers!

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Yeah and where there is smoke there is fire. There was smoke with Kane and everyone around here was deny deny deny until it was true. There was smoke with Trouba and everyone around here was deny deny deny until it was true. I'm no longer on the deny side when it comes to our players. We are a damn tight lip organization so if something is getting out, I'm far more inclined to believe it based on past situations than not.

As someone who watched this unfold with Kessel, Seguin and then Hamilton I can tell you that Bruins fans relate and are also the same in not waiting as the doubts grow and fester. I believe that once they learned from the first two they were quick to move Hamilton before it even spread wide that he wasn't going to sign in Boston.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah and where there is smoke there is fire. There was smoke with Kane and everyone around here was deny deny deny until it was true. There was smoke with Trouba and everyone around here was deny deny deny until it was true. I'm no longer on the deny side when it comes to our players. We are a damn tight lip organization so if something is getting out, I'm far more inclined to believe it based on past situations than not.

Where's the smoke?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Who gets more between $$$ barzal and Laine?

Who deserves more?

Barzal probably starts at $9 million after his season, and playoffs, unless he takes the Brayden Point bridge towards free agency. Laine will depend on this season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I certainly have had my suspensions for a long time now, I've seen red flags in Laines comments..........proof? No, but certainly things to make me suspicious. Again time will tell

So, your suspicions are based on him being a little open and honest instead of just the usual canned answers? Really, that's it?

Reactions: jhdfeidgebrjdfdiufu

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Connor would be wasted on a 3rd line. He excels in finishing off opportunities close in tight with quick hands and nice touch. He would have a small fraction of these chances playing with a # 3 Center. Add in that he doesn’t drive play on his own and it would be a bit of a mess.

Well any time you want to balance your lineup you're going to be "wasting" someone. I take your point though that he doesn't drive it on his own, so he'd be relying on lesser players to push play for him. I'm really hoping this guy figures out how to carry the puck through the NZ instead of dumping it next season.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Those West coast teams are all in rebuild mode. He is too old to be of real interest to them.

I think the problem with Dillon would more likely be term and contract provisions like trade protection and bonuses.

What we need on the left side is just an upgrade on Beaulieu, a 2nd/3rd pair tweener, good defensively to support Pionk. I think Jon Merrill qualifies for less money and less term than Dillon. Less competition for him and easier to sign. Pushes Beaulieu down to the PB.

I don't go out and sign a player who probably has no interest being in Winnipeg, when we found one who is happy to be here. Those transactions usually cost you more. Listen to Maurice talk about Beaulieu, and he was one of the men who stepped up this year.

Boo Boo had the best playoff probably of all the Jets d-men. I'd have him pencilled in to the 3fd pairing. Then let Samberg and Heinola battle it out for the top 4 LD. Samberg should have the edge, but then we have a top 4 replacement in Heinola. The season itself if Heinola makes the jump, and Samberg is successful, would naturally push Beaulieu out of the lineup. I don't think we need a tweener on the left side. I think we need to continue our development and strengthen that right side. Pionk/Poolman is what we have and that's a long way from Buff/Trouba/Myers that made us contenders.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't go out and sign a player who probably has no interest being in Winnipeg, when we found one who is happy to be here. Those transactions usually cost you more. Listen to Maurice talk about Beaulieu, and he was one of the men who stepped up this year.

Boo Boo had the best playoff probably of all the Jets d-men. I'd have him pencilled in to the 3fd pairing. Then let Samberg and Heinola battle it out for the top 4 LD. Samberg should have the edge, but then we have a top 4 replacement in Heinola. The season itself if Heinola makes the jump, and Samberg is successful, would naturally push Beaulieu out of the lineup. I don't think we need a tweener on the left side. I think we need to continue our development and strengthen that right side. Pionk/Poolman is what we have and that's a long way from Buff/Trouba/Myers that made us contenders.

I disagree.

But Beaulieu did step up a couple of times and I give him credit for that.

I thought Poolman was our best player at times in the play in. Made some great plays that no one finished for him. But he is still a 3rd pair Dman.

I don't think Beaulieu is as food defensively as Merrill is. Neither of them is any good offensively. I'm not going to assume that either Samberg or Heinola is ready for any more than 3rd pair duty to start the season. How quickly they might be ready to move up is anybody's guess.

Agree that the right side is more of a priority. But we need somebody on the left side in case neither Samberg nor Heinola is NHL ready yet. Even 3rd pair is a big step up from where they are now. In that case we have JMo, Merrill, Beaulieu on the left. All we have for sure right now is Morrissey and Dahlstrom.

Sign DeMelo, sign Merrill, everything is covered. If the opportunity is there we might include Pionk in a trade for a better RD than DeMelo. If that doesn't come along, we go with DeMelo, Pionk, Poolman.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
So, your suspicions are based on him being a little open and honest instead of just the usual canned answers? Really, that's it?

Based on reading people's comments & body language as part of my profession over the last 30+ years......it's a big part of my job & Im right far more then I'm wrong. I said the same thing about Trouba, well before his actual trade demand.

You have your opinion and I have mine......that's what makes this a fan board run......literally nothing else is required.

Reactions: zsam

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I disagree.

But Beaulieu did step up a couple of times and I give him credit for that.

I thought Poolman was our best player at times in the play in. Made some great plays that no one finished for him. But he is still a 3rd pair Dman.

I don't think Beaulieu is as food defensively as Merrill is. Neither of them is any good offensively. I'm not going to assume that either Samberg or Heinola is ready for any more than 3rd pair duty to start the season. How quickly they might be ready to move up is anybody's guess.

Agree that the right side is more of a priority. But we need somebody on the left side in case neither Samberg nor Heinola is NHL ready yet. Even 3rd pair is a big step up from where they are now. In that case we have JMo, Merrill, Beaulieu on the left. All we have for sure right now is Morrissey and Dahlstrom.

Sign DeMelo, sign Merrill, everything is covered. If the opportunity is there we might include Pionk in a trade for a better RD than DeMelo. If that doesn't come along, we go with DeMelo, Pionk, Poolman.

I think Poolman was pretty good too, he brought some offensive jump out of that 3rd pairing. Beaulieu was the only plus player we had though on defense, in the playins, though that plus was negated by quite a few goals on the PK. I just don't see it with Merrill, for reference he was behind Sbisa on the Golden Knights run for the Stanley Cup.

I'm looking at the left side as being

1. Morrissey
2. Samberg
3. Beaulieu
4. Heinola
5. Dahlstrom
6. Chisholm
7. Stanley

Plus you have Niku in the mix. That's alot of LD, 3 top 4 quality ones available. Dahlstrom could be a 12 minute a night 3LD if called upon. Stanley could jump him this season. Chisholm will get the development season in the minors.

The right side going into this offseason is

1. Pionk
2. Poolman
3. Niku
4. Kovacevic
5. Gawanke
6. Green

I think the Jets are going to want to upgrade on De Melo. I think it's probable we sign Hamonic, but that is probably as a better defensive option than Poolman, in a shut down physical pairing, other than Morrissey's, and somebody in that 1RD position. It could just be Hamonic instead of De Melo, but I'm not sure that's a strong enough d corps. We'd be counting on 2018-19 Hamonic and not last year's. If we did go that way there's alot more money to invest in a top 6 centre.

Last edited:

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Had an idea.. could work, could not.

blues are obviously trying to shed salary...

send them a 3rd or 4th for Bozak and Dunn. Saves them some cash to fit Petro. Petro contract will soon be an anchor so I’m all for them re-signing him.

Sends an asset that’s RFA in the vein we need along with a cap dump that’s one year away from UFA.

Thoughts?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

send them a 3rd or 4th for Bozak and Dunn. Saves them some cash to fit Petro. Petro contract will soon be an anchor so I’m all for them re-signing him.

Sends an asset that’s RFA in the vein we need along with a cap dump that’s one year away from UFA.

Thoughts?

I think the Blues and Pietrangelo are far apart on salary, based upon the rumours at least. It sounds like the Blues are just going to let him walk

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I think the Blues and Pietrangelo are far apart on salary, based upon the rumours at least. It sounds like the Blues are just going to let him walk

until he signs elsewhere, I think it’s more likely he signs with the Blues than anywhere else.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011

Thoughts?
Bozak and Dunn make us a better team, so I do like the trade. However, I think Dunn is worth a 2nd all by himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad